Home
Posted By: funshooter Neck Tie's - 03/23/23
This is only my thought

If everything is out in the open for everyone to see in plain sight.

My thoughts about Neck Tie's

They are just the noose around the necks of the owned and the people wearing them do not even know what about it.

I Know I Know I am just a Crazy idiot for thinking this way.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Neck Tie's - 03/23/23
An apostrophe shows ownership, i.e., the neck tie’s knot. Otherwise, it is neck ties.

Whadda you know!!??! Being a grammar Nazi is fun. grin
Posted By: mart Re: Neck Tie's - 03/23/23
I wear them when it suits me or the occasion calls for it. Never understood guys who won’t dress for the occasion. Don’t necessarily mean a jacket and tie but I seen guys show up for weddings, funerals and job interviews in baggy shorts and ratty T shirts.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by mart
I wear them when it suits me or the occasion calls for it. Never understood guys who won’t dress for the occasion. Don’t necessarily mean a jacket and tie but I seen guys show up for weddings, funerals and job interviews in baggy shorts and ratty T shirts.

I wear one as well when society expects men to wear them.Weddings , Funerals , Court and if i went into a Church I would wear one as well there may be other occasions as well. .

I just had a thought about Symbolism and everything is out in the open for everyone to see.

A Neck Tie and a Noose kinda look the same to me.
Posted By: EdM Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by funshooter
This is only my thought

If everything is out in the open for everyone to see in plain sight.

My thoughts about Neck Tie's

They are just the noose around the necks of the owned and the people wearing them do not even know what about it.

I Know I Know I am just a Crazy idiot for thinking this way.

Well beyond crazy idiot, well beyond.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23

I wear one as well when society expects men to wear them.Weddings , Funerals , Court and if i went into a Church I would wear one as well there may be other occasions as well. .

I just had a thought about Symbolism and everything is out in the open for everyone to see.

I think the neck tie is designed to bring attention to the face of the wearer. There are some times when a tie is appropriate. Just not many. I had to wear one when I went to court and I wore one when I worked at the school. I wore one with a winter uniform both as a civilian police officer and in the Army. I'm pretty burned out with the neck tie thing. I no longer want to bring attention to my face. I want to be just another "Joe citizen".

kwg
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by gregintenn
An apostrophe shows ownership, i.e., the neck tie’s knot. Otherwise, it is neck ties.

You're right, but I see improper apostrophe use all the time. It's a doofus world.
Originally Posted by kwg020

I think the neck tie is designed to bring attention to the face of the wearer. There are some times when a tie is appropriate. Just not many. I had to wear one when I went to court and I wore one when I worked at the school. I wore one with a winter uniform both as a civilian police officer and in the Army. I'm pretty burned out with the neck tie thing. I no longer want to bring attention to my face. I want to be just another "Joe citizen".

kwg

I have been in Court 3 times and all 3 times the Attorney representing the side i was on asked me Why I was wearing the Tie.
I told them that i wore the Tie in Respect of the Court and the Judge . Several people thought that I was an Attorney I had to hold in the Laughs.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Completely ridiculous clothing item - especially when most of it is tucked inside the wearer's shirt.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I very rarely do the suit and tie routine. But I like it every now and then.

As for ties, I hate working with them until everything is correct. I like the ties you get with a tux. They have the knot perfect and an adjustable band that fits under the collar.
Posted By: hanco Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I wear them to show respect
Posted By: poboy Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I think ties are so twentieth century.

kwg

I have been in Court 3 times and all 3 times the Attorney representing the side i was on asked me Why I was wearing the Tie.
[b]I told them that i wore the Tie in Respect of the Court and the Judge .
Several people thought that I was an Attorney I had to hold in the Laughs.
[/b]

I'm pretty sure that judges will hold an attorney in contempt if they show up in their court with no tie and jacket. I just know you don't want to be "that guy" if you showed up without them. In court, a tie and jacket won't hurt no matter who you are. At least it used to be that way. It's been 14 years since I was in a court room as a witness or prosecuting officer. I hope those days are long gone.

kwg

kwg

[b]I told them that i wore the Tie in Respect of the Court and the Judge .
Several people thought that I was an Attorney I had to hold in the Laughs.
[/b]

I'm pretty sure that judges will hold an attorney in contempt if they show up in their court with no tie and jacket. I just know you don't want to be "that guy" if you showed up without them. In court, a tie and jacket won't hurt no matter who you are. At least it used to be that way. It's been 14 years since I was in a court room as a witness or prosecuting officer. I hope those days are long gone.

kwg

I had to evict my girls son from living in a boat in my driveway.
I represented myself and the Bailiff thought that I was an Attorney.

Most of the people in that Court room looked like Crap just drug threw the streets.
I was ashamed of what people think is acceptable dress for a Court.
I wear grubby cloths 99% of the time working in the yard , welding and fab'ing stuff 7 building stuff.
But there is a time and a place to clean your self up to show Respect.

Maybe the next time I do Dress up I will think back to my post and remember my thought today.
Showing everyone the Noose around my Neck being owned by the Gooberment and not even knowing that I am doing it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Haven't worn those kind of clothes since 9/9/95.
My wife has been told to not buy fancy clothes the put me in the ground.

I'm not of the white collar, suit wearing class,
don't need to pretend to be.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Rush Limbaugh 'No Boundaries' ties:

http://www.tiegal.net/electric_neckwear/electric_neckwear.php

TieGal, Inc. is the original designer of the Rush Limbaugh “No Boundaries” Collection. These power ties now carry the label of “Electric Neckwear.”

Ben Silver out of Charleston, SC has a fine regimental collection:

https://www.bensilver.com/Authentic-Regimental.html
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I just won't go anywhere I have to wear one......
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I wear ties frequently. Dressing nice and not looking like a bum is a good thing.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I wear ties frequently. Dressing nice and not looking like a bum is a good thing.

What, a Western bolo tie with a turquoise slide piece from a sidewalk rez merchant ain't fancy enough for you??

laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I like to drees up, mostly Chruch.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I like to drees up, mostly Chruch.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There it is, on the right side....
Posted By: Distridr Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just won't go anywhere I have to wear one......

^This^

Over the years, I've observed that those events get on just fancy and people are just as married or just as dead whether I'm there or not.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
At this point in my life, I'm wearing a tie only at funerals and weddings. 25 years ago, I wore one every day I was working.
Posted By: bluffview Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Wore one 5-6 days a week for a dozen years. Boss was retired Navy. You wore a suit, not slacks and a jacket. White long sleeve shirt w/tie. Wing tips. I see these guys with a jacket and colored dress shirt, no tie and it doesn’t look right to me. My son has had to dress up for a class last fall some big shots were coming to speak. We got him a couple suits. If you’re going to do it, do it right I told him.

Saw some sweet wing tips at a couple different stores. If I still had to wear a suit I’d be all over those shoes. Lol
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: mtj21 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
37 years, Mon through Friday wearing one. Hate to say that I have over 300 of them easily. Just pitched about 40 in last 2 days going through them. May all change in a couple weeks, new job-new line of work coming….
Years back Veterinarians, and gas station attentats wore ties
Posted By: Bry Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Neck ties are da bomb!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

What, a Western bolo tie with a turquoise slide piece from a sidewalk rez merchant ain't fancy enough for you??

laugh

[Linked Image from sedonaindianjewelry.com]
Posted By: Farming Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by hanco
I wear them to show respect
This^^^^ Mostly funerals and weddings, but sometimes I know it will be over dressed so don’t.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
After 12 years of Catholic school uniforms,i'm all tied out,but i do wear a suit and a tie when needed.My suit is called my "DEFENDANT " suit.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Neck ties are the topic, and the discussion has turned more to apparel in general.

Customs and tastes vary widely. So do our work situations, and thus the related choices about apparel. Aside from tastes, customs and work situations - some folks make comfort and simplicity the top priority. That's not all of it - but it's all OK in my mind.

I might have a reaction in certain situations, but I express no opinion or critique about the clothing choices of others. Your choice - your business - look the way you wish to look.

That said, why do some people feel the need to smirk, comment critically or put down those who tend to dress up and according to the occasion. What is the problem when a guy wears a classy suit/dress shirt/silk tie and fine matching shoes (let alone the belt/socks/pocket square) in a situation where others may dress less?

We all make personal choices about the events we attend. All very good, but based on generally expected apparel? Why would that be?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Wrapids

You're right, but I see improper apostrophe use all the time. It's a doofus world.
Nothing doofus about the apostrophe. It completely changes the meaning of the word. There's a big difference between possessive and plural. You need to say what you mean. Our modern schools are turning out a generation of illiterates.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I prefer to not wear a tie (or a suit for that matter) but have no problem doing so when needed. I do like the general "down dressing" that has become common at many functions but believe there is still a place for ties and suits.
Posted By: miguel Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
My ex wife used to wear ties a lot. They looked better on her than me. To be truthful though, she was crazy. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: arkypete Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I think neck ties are best used for tying bundles of books together.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by CCCC
Neck ties are the topic, and the discussion has turned more to apparel in general.

Customs and tastes vary widely. So do our work situations, and thus the related choices about apparel. Aside from tastes, customs and work situations - some folks make comfort and simplicity the top priority. That's not all of it - but it's all OK in my mind.

I might have a reaction in certain situations, but I express no opinion or critique about the clothing choices of others. Your choice - your business - look the way you wish to look.

That said, why do some people feel the need to smirk, comment critically or put down those who tend to dress up and according to the occasion. What is the problem when a guy wears a classy suit/dress shirt/silk tie and fine matching shoes (let alone the belt/socks/pocket square) in a situation where others may dress less?

We all make personal choices about the events we attend. All very good, but based on generally expected apparel? Why would that be?

My post could be construed to denigrate those who are in white collar positions.

It wasn't actually.

I guess I did mean it to put down those who are Dressing Up.

I come from people with stained, callused hands, and mine are too.
No apologies for it, proud in fact. I don't belong in those clothes and am
not comfortable in the company of those who do. Don't need a tie and a fancy
restaurant to affirm me, or make for a good evening. The family can go out to
the Dew Drop Inn, have wings and fries, while wearing jeans and workbooks,
and be happy. In our lane, with our people. Can we dress nicer and continue to
use decent manners in a snazzy place? Easy! It's the attitude that I don't like.

It is not about money either.
Folks in there with us could buy out the debits of the dressed up crowd at the Omni, with cash, and not be broke.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I have even stopped wearing ties for funerals.
Posted By: colodog Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
It always seemed odd that we add an unnecessary strip of cloth around our neck to "Dress Up". crazy

We do a lot of strange things to "fit in" with society.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I love the old pictures of a baseball game or train station where everyone there had on a dress or coat and tie. Now everyone looks like they just rolled their fat asses out of bed.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I love the old pictures of a baseball game or train station where everyone there had on a dress or coat and tie. Now everyone looks like they just rolled their fat asses out of bed.

My gramps wore a shirt and tie to work everyday. Prolly a suit some days…

American flag tie tack or lapel pin. He was a WWII vet.

On weekends he still wore a ironed button up shirt.

He may of been puttering around doing woodworking.. and his shirt may of had paint on it.

But it was still ironed when he put it on…
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
At "The Warden"s 5 year cancer-free banquet, I wore my dress hat, boots, brown slacks, flaming pint shirt, and a black bow tie.
(Picture THAT, all you who have met me)
When appropriate to wear a tie, I often wear a paisley-looking tie. Those who observe closely see Yosemite Sam, Marvin Martian, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, and more in said "paisley" smile
Posted By: milespatton Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I come from people with stained, callused hands, and mine are too.
No apologies for it, proud in fact. I don't belong in those clothes and am
not comfortable in the company of those who do.
Used to be a man near Hazen,Ar. that wore a tie every day, with his overalls and work boots. A farmer all of His life. miles
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Nothing doofus about the apostrophe. It completely changes the meaning of the word. There's a big difference between possessive and plural. You need to say what you mean. Our modern schools are turning out a generation of illiterates.
^^^^^^^^^👆👆🏻👆
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

He may of been puttering around doing woodworking.. and his shirt may of had paint on it.

My granddad was the same way. I never saw him in a pair of jeans either. Always a pair of slacks and a pressed shirt, even if we were working sheep or cows.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

My uncle Guiher pretty much always wore a shirt and tie with dress pants if he was going to do business on the square. (down town Winterset is on a square around the County Courthouse) Only in the summer did he wear a short sleeve shirt with no tie. My friend's uncle Clyde always wore a shirt and tie, other than the hottest days of summer. Those guys were young men in the WWI and between the war's years. It apparently was a personal tradition and they carried it until their final days.

kwg
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
I don't mind wearing ties but I prefer clip-ons.
A big faux pas by some I know but here are my reasons.

1. self defense wise, noone can grab ahold of the tie effectively turning it into a noose!

2. I don't feel strangled!

3. My OCD demands the knot to be perfect so a clip-on is the answer for me!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
My Grandfather never wore a tie or suit in his life, he died at 98 years old in 1958, my mother and aunts tried to get all his sons to wear ties at his Funeral, none did, 3 months later Grand Mother died at 98 years old none of the boy's wore a tie at her Funeral, I asked a couple of them why no tie their answer was they never saw us with a tie on when they were alive, we would be hipocrites (ms) to wear a tie here. All 11 boys and 2 girls, shed tears. Respect and love is what counts not ties. Rio7
Posted By: CCCC Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by CCCC
Neck ties are the topic, and the discussion has turned more to apparel in general. - - - - - -
?
My post could be construed to denigrate those who are in white collar positions.
It wasn't actually. I guess I did mean it to put down those who are Dressing Up.
I come from people with stained, callused hands, - - - - - - -
Not at all taken that way - fine post. I, too, come from folks with stained callused hands and understand.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Neck Tie's - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

And proper in this case is neck-ties, without the apostrophe. The neck-tie "posses" nothing.
It's akin to using "caliber" to denote the cartridge a rifle is chambered for.
© 24hourcampfire