Home
This could get interesting.

DETROIT — The parents of a teenager who killed four students at a Michigan high school can face trial for involuntary manslaughter, the state appeals court said Thursday in a groundbreaking case of criminal responsibility for the acts of a child.

The murders would not have happened if the parents hadn't purchased a gun for Ethan Crumbley or if they had taken him home from Oxford High School on the day of the shooting, when staff became alarmed about his extreme drawings, the appeals court said.

The court noted that the legal threshold at this stage of the case is fairly low under Michigan law.

"Whether a jury actually finds that causation has been proven after a full trial, where the record will almost surely be more expansive — including evidence produced by defendants — is an issue separate from what we decide today," the court said in a 3-0 opinion.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are accused of failing to secure a gun and ignoring the mental health needs of their son before the shootings. Besides the deaths of four students, seven people were wounded.

Crumbley, 16, has pleaded guilty to terrorism and murder and could be sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was 15 at the time of the November 2021 shooting.

Attorneys for the parents insist that what would happen that day was not foreseeable. They acknowledge that bad decisions were made but not ones that should rise to involuntary manslaughter charges.

Judge Michael Riordan said parents shouldn't be hauled to court for "subpar, odd or eccentric" care of their kids. But the evidence against the Crumbleys, he added, is much more serious.

"The morning of the shooting, EC drew a picture of a body that appeared to have two bullet holes in the torso, apparently with blood streaming out of them, which was near another drawing of a handgun that resembled the gun his parents ... had very recently gifted to him," Riordan said.

It was "visual evidence" that Ethan was contemplating gunshot wounds on someone, the judge said.

The Crumbleys were summoned to school for a meeting about the drawing, but didn't take Ethan home.

The parents' lawyers declined to comment Thursday, citing a gag order. They'll likely ask the Michigan Supreme Court to review the case, particularly because that court had ordered the appeals court to hear arguments.
A MI jury, they are toast.
But if he wants his nuts cut off, his parents probably have no say in the matter.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
But if he wants his nuts cut off, his parents probably have no say in the matter.
exactly what i thought .and the day is coming were they will throw parents in jail for not letting their kids get their nuts cut off ... remember this

No joke. WTF is wrong with this place?
Originally Posted by steve4102
A MI jury, they are toast.
Oakland County is fairly conservative. It only takes one on the jury...
I’m may get roasted over this but the parents are complete scumbags in this and absolutely [bleep] the bed. The school resource officer and staff were incompetent as well.
Originally Posted by Mac84
I’m may get roasted over this but the parents are complete scumbags in this and absolutely [bleep] the bed. The school resource officer and staff were incompetent as well.
Yup, they're a dumpster fire +P. Now if only they'd go after the parents of negros who bring weapons to school.
That’s crazy talk!
I was in the jury pool for a murder trial in a fairly rural county. I did not get picked. But of the 12 jurors and 2 alternates selected, only 1 of the alternates had firearms experience of any significance.

It doesn't matter who you put in office or what laws you get passed, if there aren't any of us to represent, we will lose.
Are you guys serious?

Parents buy their already troubled 15 year old a handgun and give it to him to keep and store with no restrictions on it?

I gave my kid a gun pellet gun when he was 8. Yes, it was "his" but it was fugging well locked up where he couldn't get it when he wasn't using it under my supervision.

Give your fugging heads a shake.
I too think the parents were indeed reckless. Holding an individual responsible for the actions of another, however, is too much of a stretch in my book.

I'm fine with such where one is a participant though. I.e. driving the getaway car or standing watch as crimes are committed.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Are you guys serious?

Parents buy their already troubled 15 year old a handgun and give it to him to keep and store with no restrictions on it?

I gave my kid a gun pellet gun when he was 8. Yes, it was "his" but it was fugging well locked up where he couldn't get it when he wasn't using it under my supervision.

What do you know about this case? Just generalities, ginned up by the prosecutor?
I wouldn't trust anything put out by the MSM on this. It reminds me too much of a guy having a "Take a number" hand grenade display, getting raided, and the news saying he had a possible destructive device explosive.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I too think the parents were indeed reckless. Holding an individual responsible for the actions of another, however, is too much of a stretch in my book.

I'm fine with such where one is a participant though. I.e. driving the getaway car or standing watch as crimes are committed.
Exactly.

The parents may well be dimwits but they didn’t pull the trigger and didn’t expect their child to either. As someone else said if they’re going to charge these parents they need to start charging the parents of every gangbanger in Detroit and Chicago too.
Parents were dumbasses.
Dunno how much of the shooting event they can be held accountable for.
Might they go further back and imprison them for bumping uglies and making such fugged up offspring?
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Are you guys serious?

What do you know about this case? Just generalities, ginned up by the prosecutor?
I wouldn't trust anything put out by the MSM on this. It reminds me too much of a guy having a "Take a number" hand grenade display, getting raised, and the news saying he had a possible destructive device explosive.
He’s from Canada they don’t have nor understand that whole “Shall Not Be Infringed” thing up there.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Exactly.

The parents may well be dimwits but they didn’t pull the trigger and didn’t expect their child to either. As someone else said if they’re going to charge these parents they need to start charging the parents of every gangbanger in Detroit and Chicago too.

Ignorance and denial are things.
But you know damn well many supposed parents know what crap is going on and just dont give a damn.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Pretty simple really,

Liberals.
The parents were criminally negligent.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Yup, they're a dumpster fire +P. Now if only they'd go after the parents of negros who bring weapons to school.

You mean mother ? Is baby daddy really ever around ?
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Are you guys serious?

I wouldn't trust anything put out by the MSM on this. It reminds me too much of a guy having a "Take a number" hand grenade display, getting raised, and the news saying he had a possible destructive device explosive.
He’s from Canada they don’t have nor understand that whole “Shall Not Be Infringed” thing up there.

What a load of crap. Point me to the place in the 2nd that gives 15 year old's unlimited rights to own handguns.

They gave the kid a gun then didn't ensure it was inaccessible to him. There's nothing about him stealing it from a nightstand, nothing about him shooting his mother to get into her gun safe. They didn't act like responsible parents.

You gonna argue that they should have let him start puberty-blockers and hormones because he wanted to be a girl, too?
Michigan folks, help me out with some info before I comment on this subject.

A: Is it legal for a 15 year old minor to possess a handgun in MI? While not under direct supervision of an adult or guardian?

B: Is there a negligent homicide crime in MI? Or something substantially similar?

C: Can a negligent act in MI rise to the level of manslaughter?

Were I to be empaneled on a jury in MI, these are questions I would want answered before I could decide any type of verdict.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

A: Is it legal for a 15 year old minor to possess a handgun in MI? While not under direct supervision of an adult or guardian?

B: Is there a negligent homicide crime in MI? Or something substantially similar?

Were I to be empaneled on a jury in MI, these are questions I would want answered before I could decide any type of verdict.

How old do I have to be in order to legally own a pistol in Michigan?MCL 28.422 Eighteen (18) years of age. However, Federal law prohibits a federally licensed firearms dealer from selling a pistol to anyone under the age of twenty-one (21).
I had a .357 when I was 15. Dad bought a press so I could load for it too. Kept it in my bedroom.
This is one of those debates over a ruling that could be 'very' justified in some cases and not at all in others.

One thing is for certain, going forward it'd be applied to all the wrong cases.

In one of the older school shooting cases the kid had broken into his Grandfather's gun safe to aquire the guns used.

Should the Grandfather be prosecuted because the kid was able to defeat the Grandfather's gun safe?

It'll be Pandora's box once opened.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

How old do I have to be in order to legally own a pistol in Michigan?MCL 28.422 Eighteen (18) years of age. However, Federal law prohibits a federally licensed firearms dealer from selling a pistol to anyone under the age of twenty-one (21).

What about "possession"?

In other words, can a 15 year old, even given his parents' permission, have possession of a handgun while not under the direct supervision of an adult?

In some states that, in and of itself, is a criminal act.
Originally Posted by JeffA
This is one of those debates over a ruling that could be 'very' justified in some cases and not at all in others.

In one of the older school shooting cases the kid had broken into his Grandfather's gun safe to aquire the guns used.

Should the Grandfather be prosecuted because the kid was able to defeat the Grandfather's gun safe?

The question is, did they take all reasonable precautions in the circumstances? I'd say the grandfather did.
Shall not be infringed is pretty straightforward.

Exactly.

its not against the law to be a dimwit in this country..... EVERY DemocRAT in the nation is proof of that...
Their biggest example sits in the Oval Office right now...

Is a 15 year old "the people"?

Heller doesn't seem to say so:
https://harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_the_people_in_the_constitution.pdf

": Heller could be viewed as changing the meaning of “the
people” throughout the Bill of Rights by limiting “the people” to
“members of the political community,” which might be interpreted to
mean, inter alia, “eligible voters.”

Can 15 year old's vote?

The question is, did they take all reasonable precautions in the circumstances? I'd say the grandfather did.

Sure, but that won't stop someone from attempting to prosecute such an individual by pointing at this case for example.

If not held responsible will these Michigan parents do this again?
Probably not.

If held responsible and prosecuted will other ill-responsible parents become responsible parents?
Probably not.

I see nothing to gain but plenty to loose.
Rights come with responsibilities.

Would you fire a gun in the air haphazardly and when the cops show up because you killed a kid 5 blocks over just plead "Muh 2nd!!!"?

Sure, but that won't stop someone from attempting to prosecute such an individual by pointing at this case for example.

If not held responsible will these Michigan parents do this again?
Probably not.

If held responsible and prosecuted will other ill-responsible parents become responsible parents?
Probably not.

I see nothing to gain but plenty to loose.
Well said

https://harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_the_people_in_the_constitution.pdf

Can 15 year old's vote?

In America even dead people can vote!

Until we get the corruption out of government and our government abides by our Constitution I’m not interested in 1 more bullshit gun law that is meant to INFRINGE on our rights!

I had all my firearms stored in MY room including my handgun when I was 12. They were MINE and I was RESPONSIBLE for them and their safe use. My respect for firearms was great and my safe handling of them was paramount. I have always loved guns, hunting and the outdoors but it’s because of my passion for those thing that I was always extremely safe. If I’d had a single mishap I’d have lost that privilege long ago but it was far far too important to me to retain my guns so safety was always my first, last and immediate concern.

We’ve become a society that values excuses and victimhood more than it values intelligence, preparedness or responsibility.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Can 15 year old's vote?

In America even dead people can vote!

Until we get the corruption out of government and our government abides by our Constitution I’m not interested in 1 more bullshit gun law that is meant to INFRINGE on our rights!

I had all my firearms stored in MY room including my handgun when I was 12. They were MINE and I was RESPONSIBLE for them and their safe use. My respect for firearms was great and my safe handling of them was paramount. I have always loved guns, hunting and the outdoors but it’s because of my passion for those thing that I was always extremely safe. If I’d had a single mishap I’d have lost that privilege long ago but it was far far too important to me to retain my guns so safety was always my first, last and immediate concern.

We’ve become a society that values excuses and victimhood more than it values intelligence, preparedness or responsibility.

Good post Aces. I'm with you on that!!

Would you fire a gun in the air haphazardly and when the cops show up because you killed a kid 5 blocks over just plead "Muh 2nd!!!"?

You've been conditioned to think of stupid schit like the above.

Firing a bullet into the air makes you not in control of the projectile, therefore negligence comes into play.
Sure, because all 12 and 15 year old's are competent, responsible people.

Can I quote you guys the next time you rail on about parents letting their kids become trans? Because you're being complete hypocrits.
No roast here, I was just pointing out the inconsistencies in parental rights/expectations/responsibilities.

This. In spades.

It ain't the gun, but the mentally f'd up individual behind the trigger and the adults who should know better. Parents should have never gave him that Sig...and they know it. Same thing with the Sandy Hook mother who bought her f'd up kid an AR "because he needs something to do". So he shot her with it.

Stupidass parents, teachers, and admin who can't read sign are fugging up in a big way. The day of, this kid draws pictures in math class of a gun, blood, and writes "the thoughts won't stop, help me". They call the parents in that morning. Parents ask if the kid can stay in class because they have to work. Dad is a Door Dash delivery guy. School says fine. Parents never mention the Sig they just gave him, the school doesn't search his locker or backpack, who knows where the school cop is - it's a failure at every level. The shooting is over by 1pm.

I have two boys - young men now. They were taught at a very young age about guns, gun safety, and about guns in the house. If I ever saw at any point that one of them was in need of mental help, I would've spared no expense to get them that help. If it meant that my firearms had to be stored at my brother's for a time, so be it. It's called parental responsibility. And every one of you reading this who have or had both kids and firearms in your home have shown this responsibility in some way.

So now because of Oxford and MSU(another case where dad knew his kid was batshit crazy, but didn't do anything), we're having a bunch of restrictive guns laws rammed down our throats by the D dominated gov't that targets responsible gun owners in this state so they can prosecute these idiots who aren't. Tail wagging the dog. Again.

Firing a bullet into the air makes you not in control of the projectile, therefore negligence comes into play.

Giving a mentally-ill 15 year old free access to a gun makes you not in control of the gun, therefore negligence comes into play.
Touché
Originally Posted by steve4102
Touché

A major component of parental responsibility is having responsible parents. Baby Daddy doesn't apply.

Giving a mentally-ill 15 year old free access to a gun makes you not in control of the gun, therefore negligence comes into play.

If I buy my 16 year old a vehicle and he drives it through a playground I'm not in control of the vehicle - does negligence come into play? Am I criminally liable?

If they want to drag the parents through Civil courts and take their last Pall Mall have at it.

Canada weighs into the conversation lol
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Did they just pass a law that the state pays for trans surgery but makes it against the law to reverse back to biological sex.
Are you guys serious?

You just have missed where we said the parents are shiite.
Now back to the subject at hand.

Were there signs of mental instability before the drawings of the day of the shooting?

Is the parents liable for the handgun? I say yes they are. It is the parents responsibility to coach our individual kids on proper gun use and gun safety. It is our responsibility to insure (in this day and age of lawyers) that the guns in our homes are safely stored!

If this kid exhibited signs of mental instability and the parents ignored it, HELL YES THEY SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE)

This kid KILLED 4 and INJURED 7. That's not a matter to be taken lightly.

I guarantee that 99% of the Campfire would demand blood if one of those kids were theirs or their grandchild! By God I would and I am a staunch 2A supporter BUT I also preach RESPONSIBLE gun ownership!

The more we hold people responsible (groids included) the more the issue of banning or guns will lessen (I truly hope so anyway).

A responsible gun owner should never be persecuted and accidents do happen and we all make bad decisions..... But giving a mentally ill person a gun is not just a "bad decision"! It's criminal!

Ok I yield the floor, let's have it!

Oh, fuq off. Common sense doesn’t have [bleep] borders. Idiot.
In the case of Bobby Moore locally, who killed a Cop at age 14. It happened in the parking lot of our High School, when my kids were in Middle School.

His Mom was convicted of supplying the gun. Straw purchase conviction. She took the kid to a pawn shop. He sold his stereo. She used said $ to purchase 25 acp which he killed Cop with.

What jumps out at me in the OP is the State wants to prosecute parents for not removing child from school. When state agents neglected to have child removed from school.

Prosecute the parents for that action????? But fail to prosecute teacher, principal, resource officer?????????

You should change your name to wannabeamerican. Few things are as ridiculous as foreigners opining on American domestic policy.

Literally, unless you are a U.S. citizen you have no voice in this conversation
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
In the case of Bobby Moore locally, who killed a Cop at age 14. It happened in the parking lot of our High School, when my kids were in Middle School.

His Mom was convicted of supplying the gun. Straw purchase conviction. She took the kid to a pawn shop. He sold his stereo. She used said $ to purchase 25 acp which he killed Cop with.

What jumps out at me in the OP is the State wants to prosecute parents for not removing child from school. When state agents neglected to have child removed from school.

Prosecute the parents for that action????? But fail to prosecute teacher, principal, resource officer?????????
Yup...
And there were kids that knew what he was planning to do that day.
The school administration had reviewed a manual that is put out by the fbofi on school shootings, they completed paperwork showing that they had complied with the steps required by the manual but they weren't actually instituted.
The parents screwed up by not taking safety in to account.

Most kids with out any mental problems do not have pistols in their care ,in their room.

Should not be manslaughter but they should be charged with stupid with intent to be dumber.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The parents screwed up by not taking safety in to account.

Most kids with out any mental problems do not have pistols in their care ,in their room.

Should not be manslaughter but they should be charged with stupid with intent to be dumber.
There are discrepancies out there about how the gun was stored. The prosecutor who was once a judge is trying to make a name for herself, most likely has aspersions of seeking a higher office in a few years.

I'm sure you must know by now.

It's widow licking season.

Winter has been too long.
If you give your kid or minor teenager a firearm and they subsequently commit murder with it then yep, as a parent IMHO you are criminally liable.

If you give your kid a handgun at age twelve or whatever and he never shoots himself or anyone then you ain’t. Giving the kid a gun was a decision you made and you are responsible for the outcome of that decision.

You should change your name to wannabeamerican. Few things are as ridiculous as foreigners opining on American domestic policy.

Literally, unless you are a U.S. citizen you have no voice in this conversation

Has nothing to do with American domestic policy. Has to do with English common law, which is the basis of both our countries legal systems.

As a cop, you should have a basic understanding of that.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
If you give your kid or minor teenager a firearm and they subsequently commit murder with it then yep, as a parent IMHO you are criminally liable.

If you give your kid a handgun at age twelve or whatever and he never shoots himself or anyone then you ain’t. Giving the kid a gun was a decision you made and you are responsible for the outcome of that decision.

Sets precedence for a lot of "parents" of inner city kids, evreytime one is arrested with a gun, charge the parent....
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Sets precedence for a lot of "parents" of inner city kids, evreytime one is arrested with a gun, charge the parent....

That would depend upon the degree to which the parent was complicit in allowing the kid access to said weapon.
In my little mind, it boils down more to how the kid was raised in general - than his access to a gun.

These school shootings are a relatively recent "thing" - kids used to be raised by parents who cared, and led the kids down the right path.
Seems parents who care, and are capable, are in the minority anymore, and we're working on multiple generations of folks who let the school system babysit their children. Accountability be damned!
Just a lot of finger-pointing going on.
There is no end to the tsunami of surrounding individuals blame could be cast at in these cases.

Pretty narrow focus to just consider how and where a gun may have entered the picture.

We could burden the courts forever more with the potentially associated guilty and what if's.

It's not gonna change history or the future, innocent people are dead and many could have done things to prevent it.

Put the shooters on trial as adults, incarcerate them forever, burn them on a cross, do whatever makes you feel the best.

What about "possession"?

In other words, can a 15 year old, even given his parents' permission, have possession of a handgun while not under the direct supervision of an adult?

In some states that, in and of itself, is a criminal act.

MI has very restrictive handgun laws. Many, BTW, are about to be expanded to long guns. A handgun may generally be possessed only by the registered owner. He may not even loan it out unless the recipient has a CPL. A minor cannot lawfully possess a handgun. It is fairly common practice, however, to let a kid shoot one with dad at his side.

MI does have Negligent Homicide laws. I suspect these parents are in deep do-do. This is not a good time to face a jury here in a case like this. I look for them to plead to something.
© 24hourcampfire