Home
Posted By: IndyCA35 158 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
April 10, 1865: General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the Civil War.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
It ain’t today yet.

P
Posted By: Brazos Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
158 years ago.....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
It ain’t today yet.

P
Please see the thread about TN and time zones. grin

It's "today" somewhere..........just like 5 O'clock.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
It ain’t today yet.
P
Originally Posted by Brazos
158 years ago.....

not everyone is a math scholar or can read time, like all ya'll... this is the campfire, where even the smooth brains get to talk.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
April 10, 1865: General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the “War of Northern aggression “.

Fify….
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Wasn't a damn thing 'civil' about it!!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by Sharps Man, on [bleep]
Posted By: Angus55 Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
April 10th has a a lot of meaning for me, mother passed and cousin was killed in Vietnam , didn’t know about day of surrender.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
It weren’t today yet for me.

Now it is.

P
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Lee surrendered but there are a lot of rebels still out there which we need to be thankful for as you know the war of northern aggression is resuming..mb
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Lee surrendered but there are a lot of rebels still out there which we need to be thankful for as you know the war of northern aggression is resuming..mb

Sure, and lots of slaves and slave owners around…
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
"damyankee" is still one word. Two of my cousins walked 40 miles to enlist in the Army of Tennessee. At least one of them survived the war. I found his name in the Dickson county property tax records from the 1890's. My great grandmother lived in Nashville during "reconstruction" and told me about the atrocities the soldiers from Ft. Negley committed during their occupation.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Brazos
158 years ago.....

You're right. I'll edit it.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Lee said “I would rather die a thousand deaths”
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
The biggest Confederate army under Johnston surrendered later near Durham, NC. Since Lincoln was killed it had to be unconditional. Bad news for the South. Inexplicably Johnston became fast friends with Sherman and died a few days after him from getting ill in the rain at Sherman's funeral. Lee was an old idiot elite planter with zero strategy for outlasting Yankee aggression. He didn't have to win. Not losing would have been easy.
Posted By: akrange Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
If wouldn’t have Fired General Flynn History would have been Much Much Different..
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Ole Johnny Reb still doesn't get that he lost that war.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Ole Johnny Reb still doesn't get that he lost that war.
You got somethin against us Johnny’s
Posted By: tyman11B Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Angus55
April 10th has a a lot of meaning for me, mother passed and cousin was killed in Vietnam , didn’t know about day of surrender.
frown
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/10/23
A sad day in our history.
It ain’t today yet.

P
Typical leftist, never let the details get in the way of a narrative and look to divide along gender or racial lines at every opportunity.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Nothing civil about it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
It ain’t today yet.

P
Typical leftist, never let the details get in the way of a narrative and look to divide along gender or racial lines at every opportunity.

Typical leftist, jumping to conclusions about other people, making false accusations, and showing his ass in the process.

Plus, too uptight to have a sense of humor.

Easy there, Karen.

Might be time to pick up your kids from the Montessori school.

P
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
It ain’t today yet.

P

Typical leftist, jumping to conclusions about other people, making false accusations, and showing his ass in the process.

Plus, too uptight to have a sense of humor.

Easy there, Karen.

P

I could have been more articulate but I wasn’t talking about you..
When you quote a fella and make a statement, logic suggests you’re talking about that fella.

Keep in mind that, to the OP, it was today.

It just wasn’t today to me.

If I owe you an apology please consider such as extended.

P
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Lee signed some papers but the spirit still lives monuments be gone or not
Posted By: wmlj Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by slowmover12
A sad day in our history.

Extremely sad day.
If the South had won, how long would slavery have persisted?

I know, it wasn’t about slavery, but answer the question.

P
Posted By: Bob_mt Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Lee signed some papers but the spirit still lives monuments be gone or not

honest question.....the spirit of what?....are the bad feelings/blood still prevalent today with the majority or just a few...bob
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23

Not much longer. Mechanization was on the way. Plantation slavery was inefficient and costly. Maintaining an army, or barn full, of expensive farm animals required a lot of money and effort. No disrespect, but the reality of the matter was economic. It made those people valuable as chattel. They were cared for accordingly. $700 to $1,000 or more per head just to purchase in dollars of the day, not adjusted for inflation. Lincoln's war destroyed the plantation system depriving the South, and former slaves, a peaceful, humane transition. It is unpopular to consider respectful, even warm bonds of familial affection between the "owners" and the "owned" existed, but it was a mutual engagement of give and take to produce livelihood for both parties. The war destroyed the engine of commerce, the know how and sharing that left devastation and resentment that bred hatred and poverty right up until now.

P
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23

P

I had a great 8th grade history teacher, Coach Campbell. He taught our class like a college course. You took notes, you did not use the book much. He taught us one of the sad things about the civil war was that it would not have been too many years when slavery would cost as much or more than hiring people. Which is how agriculture was conducted for many years after the war. Slavery would have became economically unfeasible as well as morally unexceptible. Less than a hundred years later mechanical devices like cotton pickers put a lot of people out of that type of work.

Even without all the theories I think there could have been a negotiated ending to slavery without the resorting to civil war if that was really what the federals really wanted.
Posted By: Caplock Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
You fellas need to take in consideration the devastating impact of the Boll Weevil on the cotton industry! The weevil all but collapsed c production as it marched across the cotton belt putting hundreds of thousands of laborers and farmers out of work. This as much or more than mechanization pushed large populations north and west. You can follow my family as they move across the South to Texas trying to escape the weevil.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: 148 Years Ago Today - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
April 10, 1865: General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the Civil War.
Actually, General Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia on Sunday, April 9th, 1865, not April 10th. This was not the end of the war as Lee only surrendered his immediate command, not the entire Confederate military. Having said that, it was the major Confederate army in the east and without it there was little hope of the Confederacy surviving. The last Confederate military department, the Trans-Mississippi Department was surrendered at Galveston, Texas on 02 June 1865 (negotiated at New Orleans 26 May, but not signed until 02 June by Lt. Gen. Edmund Kirby-Smith at Galveston).
© 24hourcampfire