Home
Posted By: dropem Great pyramids - 04/20/23
How many have visited them. Great engineering or other.?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Yes and yes.

Great engineering the likely other advanced tech employed in building them.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Awesome structures.
Posted By: hanco Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
I’d like to go, but don’t to be around the people in those countries
Posted By: dropem Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Estimated at 4600 years old pretty impressive. I would like to see them but like hanco don’t care for that part of the world.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Yes in 2000 on a dive trip to the Red Sea.
Simple amazing.
Cairos a x real chit hole
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
I was there two weeks ago Cairo is a chit hole. Pyramids are amazing but they sit surrounded a third world city of 22 million.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Some years ago a French archeologist said he found a human hair imbedded in one of the stones of a lesser pyramid. He concluded that the stones are some kind of concrete and had been poured in place. I've never heard of that again and don't know if he was a kook or if he'd really found something.
Originally Posted by dropem
Estimated at 4600 years old pretty impressive. I would like to see them but like hanco don’t care for that part of the world.

I work stationed in Cairo for 8 months is how I got to see them twice.
The second visit was immediately followed by the terrorists attack on tourists in The Valley of The Kings area.

You’re right about that part of the world.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I was there two weeks ago Cairo is a chit hole. Pyramids are amazing but they sit surrounded a third world city of 22 million.

With about zero traffic signals.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
as awe inspiring as they are I don't believe they were built in 25 years.

Lets see

2.5 million stones = 100,000 a year for 25 years =8400 stones a month =280 a day =24 per hour based on 12 hour daylight
don't forget these stones were quarried cut thansported 100s of miles shaped then put into place at the rate of one every 2 1/2min I know they were good but not that good I say it took alot longer than 25 years.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
I rode a camel around them in the mid 90s. I was always fascinated by them, even more so after seeing them.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23

This ^^^^^^^^^^

And Cairo is not just any schithole, it's big ass schithole..................one visit was a lifetime full.

MM
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Watch unchartedx and/or Brian Forester on YouTube.

Neither really provide any explanations, but point out a LOT of things that Egyptologists don't.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23

and they somehow manage to photograph them like they are in the desert.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Robert M. Schoch
American professor has dated the sphinx to over ten thousand years old.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago a French archeologist said he found a human hair imbedded in one of the stones of a lesser pyramid. He concluded that the stones are some kind of concrete and had been poured in place. I've never heard of that again and don't know if he was a kook or if he'd really found something.

Dr. Joseph Davidovits, an expert in geopolymers. He conducts chemical research at the Geopolymer Institute in France and is Director of the Institute of Applied Archeological Sciences at Barry University, in Florida. His fascinating book is "The Pyramids, an Engima Solved." Although I shouldn't be, given the insular nature of contemporary Egyptology, I'm astonished that Dr. Davidovits' research has never gotten any traction.
Posted By: erikj Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Never been. Heard a couple theories on the construction but, some of the precision is incredible.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Yeah, that was the disappointment. I knew the pyramids were on the edge of Cairo, not surrounded.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
A pyramid rabbit hole I found very interesting. A lot of good stuff on this channel.

Posted By: plumbum Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by 69sportfury

Neither really provide any explanations, but point out a LOT of things that Egyptologists don't.

Like what?
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by Clarkm

and they somehow manage to photograph them like they are in the desert.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...3d29.9792345!4d31.1342019!16zL20vMDM2bWs
Posted By: DBT Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by Houston_2

With every driver constantly honking their horns all day and all night, the Muezzins call to prayer five times a day.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
And when it rains, it comes down as black soot from all the pollution.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
The Sphinx is way smaller than I thought it would be.The area around the great pyramid smells like barnyard piss big time. Pictures we took from the backside on the camels with the pyramids in the background were amazing. Thought the step pyramids were more interesting.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
The Maya built some fantastic pyramids in Central America. I have climbed the big pyramid at Chichen Itza, it is something else.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
The Sphinx is way smaller than I thought it would be.The area around the great pyramid smells like barnyard piss big time. Pictures we took from the backside on the camels with the pyramids in the background were amazing. Thought the step pyramids were more interesting.

Used to be lots of discussion that the head used to be a lion, after the constellation Leo. Haven't heard how that concluded
Also conjecture that the pyramids were polished, and at a certain day in the spring the rising sun would reflect a beam of light skyward visible for miles, heralding the beginning of the planting season.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

Used to be lots of discussion that the head used to be a lion, after the constellation Leo. Haven't heard how that concluded
Unless they find more evidence, that'll be debated for the next 100 years.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by dropem

I think they are probably older than that. But even if that is the date, it is amazing to realize that someone living in the time of Jesus is closer in time to us than he would have been to the builders of the great pyramids.

And if you want to consider Cleopatra as more or less last of the pharaohs, then that same civilization was still extant right up until the time of Jesus. Just an incredibly ancient civilization that is more of less incomprehensible to us now. The knowledge they must have accumulated and has since been lost is mind blowing.
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Houston_2

With every driver constantly honking their horns all day and all night, the Muezzins call to prayer five times a day.

A constant din.
As far as advanced technology goes, conjecture that the slope of the pyramids, was the same as the sand in an hour glass. When the sand reached a certain level it would collapse. Suggestion was they knew about self organizational criticality. And symmetry of scales much like looking at a Mountain range in the horizon and noting they are the same angle of slope.
the article also suggested they knew Fibonacci sequences, which leads to series expansion (Taylors expansion, etc.). Author argued as they didn't have pi in their math, they didn't need it. They used more powerful math tools.

One thing for sure, the people there now didn't build all that stuff.
Current thought is showing that the ancient Egyptians DNA was related more to European and north areas around Turkey
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
The outer layer of finish stones has been stripped from the pyramids over the centuries, stolen for other uses. So they were really spectacular as originally built. Weathered, worn and damaged still incredible structures. Humans have built some magnificent things.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Great pyramids - 04/20/23
"Angle of repose."
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Angle of repose."

Thanks for that, I have never heard of the geological explanation.

In non-linear dynamics its known as organization at different levels of bifurcation. Angle of repose would be the snapshot in time.

Characteristic of 3rd order systems have an equilibrium or basin of attraction. Coast lines also share this attribute., as well as the veins in you body and the veins in the leaf plants. As well as the hormone systems of all living.

The ancient Egyptians also could test for the hormone levels of women using plants, noting that for higher estrogens would cause the plants to grow faster, meaning the woman was pregnant. If the Egyptians knew this , and thought pi was Childs play, hmmmm

self organizational criticality is recognized by some to be the first step in intelligent beings.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Great pyramids - 04/21/23
Originally Posted by plumbum

Like what?

Many of the shows out there, including these mentioned show machine marks (large diamater saw marks) drill holes (tube/coring). The extreme accuracy of the work completed, etc. Eqyptologists will try to explain that copper/sand were use, or pounding stones were use.

There's a 2 million (estimated) lb. obelisk that was abandoned after it cracked god only knows when. The shows show scoop marks in granite around the obelisk that are extremely uniform, but Eqyptologists will state pounding stones were used, etc. Nothing explains that it also would have had to been listed 12-15 feet and dropped down in the quarry, there's no modern machinery that can do that task and if it was extremely difficult or impossible, why would they have even bothered trying.

All the megatlithic stones throughout the world that weight 10's of thousands of lbs, yet moved with extreme precision. Makes no common sense to work with such huge stones, obelisks, etc. if it would be next to impossible to move after excavation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Finterestingasfuck%2Fcomments%2F11ts3ro%2Fthe_unfinished_obelisk_in_aswan_egypt_is_a%2F&psig=AOvVaw29LG5V68XO0HsMh_9ii8Jz&ust=1682190409122000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCIDn3N7Vu_4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAZ

Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Great pyramids - 04/21/23
Originally Posted by plumbum

Like what?

Many of the shows out there, including these mentioned show machine marks (large diamater saw marks) drill holes (tube/coring). The extreme accuracy of the work completed, etc. Eqyptologists will try to explain that copper/sand were use, or pounding stones were use.

There's a 2 million (estimated) lb. obelisk that was abandoned after it cracked god only knows when. The shows show scoop marks in granite around the obelisk that are extremely uniform, but Eqyptologists will state pounding stones were used, etc. Nothing explains that it also would have had to been listed 12-15 feet and dropped down in the quarry, there's no modern machinery that can do that task and if it was extremely difficult or impossible, why would they have even bothered trying.

All the megatlithic stones throughout the world that weight 10's of thousands of lbs, yet moved with extreme precision. Makes no common sense to work with such huge stones, obelisks, etc. if it would be next to impossible to move after excavation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Finterestingasfuck%2Fcomments%2F11ts3ro%2Fthe_unfinished_obelisk_in_aswan_egypt_is_a%2F&psig=AOvVaw29LG5V68XO0HsMh_9ii8Jz&ust=1682190409122000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCIDn3N7Vu_4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAZ

Have seen the abandoned obelisk, was pretty impressive. Big crack shut that project down, what a bummer. Wish I knew which thumb drive the pics are on so I could post. Need to charge up the old I-pad and see if they’re there.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Great pyramids - 04/21/23
Lots of questions about Easter Island, too.
Posted By: batch Re: Great pyramids - 04/22/23
It's been many years, 1989, but riding around them on a camel filled a bucket list item. Even then the city encroached quite a ways toward them. Utterly fascinating! From the 20th floor of the Marriot was possible to see them occasionally through the smog but mostly in the morning before the traffic picked up.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23

the main building stones were stepped to provide a 45 deg angle [approximate] after construction the sides were plastered to a smooth surface hence the hair in the face of the stone.
Now for the stone a few miles into Cairo there is an old quarry that is more than a mile long 150 ft deep dont know how wide it was or how deep originally . Part of the Nile river was between the quarry and the pyramids,and that was part of the transportation system. The quarry is sandstone based rock and is full of bedding planes ,[ normal fractures ] that occur in rock some of the stones i saw were quarry mates , were marked and moved together and placed together. yes other rocks were shaped ,ground to fit , being a sandstone ,granite from farther south in Egypt were used as grinding stones . Its a known fact that the farther south u go in Egypt the harder rock u find the hardest being the red granite you find just north of the Ashwan high dam on the Nile where is where many of the oblisks in Egypt and those moved around the world come from. In that quarry is a partially cut one which broke along a bedding plane .
It is thought or presumed that all the red granite that is found in northern Egypt was shipped on reed boats and the oblisks on super sized boats during flood season when the lower levels of the quarry were flooded .

i spent a little time there, Norm
Posted By: Farming Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

This ^^^^^^^^^^

And Cairo is not just any schithole, it's big ass schithole..................one visit was a lifetime full.

MM
Like most things on this planet, if we only could have seen that part of the world 150 years ago.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

This ^^^^^^^^^^

MM

I’ll bet the smell is simply exquisite.
Posted By: 673 Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by norm99

the main building stones were stepped to provide a 45 deg angle [approximate] after construction the sides were plastered to a smooth surface hence the hair in the face of the stone.
Now for the stone a few miles into Cairo there is an old quarry that is more than a mile long 150 ft deep dont know how wide it was or how deep originally . Part of the Nile river was between the quarry and the pyramids,and that was part of the transportation system. The quarry is sandstone based rock and is full of bedding planes ,[ normal fractures ] that occur in rock some of the stones i saw were quarry mates , were marked and moved together and placed together. yes other rocks were shaped ,ground to fit , being a sandstone ,granite from farther south in Egypt were used as grinding stones . Its a known fact that the farther south u go in Egypt the harder rock u find the hardest being the red granite you find just north of the Ashwan high dam on the Nile where is where many of the oblisks in Egypt and those moved around the world come from. In that quarry is a partially cut one which broke along a bedding plane .
It is thought or presumed that all the red granite that is found in northern Egypt was shipped on reed boats and the oblisks on super sized boats during flood season when the lower levels of the quarry were flooded .

i spent a little time there, Norm
That's really cool norm, good insight.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
When the pyramid was clad in its outer sheath...am wondering if some kid glissaded down its polished surface.

A thousandish years later, the times of Thutmose III to Ramesses II seem more interesting to me.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
My brother visited the pyramids 2 years ago. He said they were fantastic, but Cairo was a stinking sh*ithole. He said the entire country is a dump. The only industry, the only income in Egypt is the tourist industry and it is massive. Lots of wealthy tourists from Germany, America and China. He said there are dozens of big tourist boats cruising the Nile every day.

He said, there is no way the present population of Egypt is related to the hard working geniuses who built the pyramids.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Great pyramids - 04/23/23
My daughter has lived there for 5 yrs. now. She drives by the pyramids every day and hardly looks at them anymore. They are really neat. However, I never went to see them. She sais Muzzlims dont touch garbage , so , out the window it goes for the Christians to pick up for recycling. The place is sandy and dusty. The muzzlim men are despicable , lazy, beat their wives and hardly work. Not all but a lot of them are like this. There are ferral dogs everywhere, and they die in the streets and left there in the 100 degree weather. She hates it there and is leaving to teach in New Kingston ,Jamaica of all places. There are , however, some really nice places to go. Luxor , Egypt is where Valley of the Kings are. It's still dirty , but cool. The Nile River is filthy. What does not get recycled gets bull dozed into the river . You can also drive to the Red Sea and get good sea food for very cheap. The Red Sea was very clean however according to my wife. As for me, I never went. I could not stand being away from home for 17 days to see 5 or 6 days of this stuff , just to sit around and talk. I just cant stand that. I went to Up State New York for 8 days to visit relatives and almost went crazy. The flight is 26 hrs. I hate not seeing anything when traveling so I never did go go there. I am quite sure I will regret not going though. I havent seen my daughter in almost 2 yrs neither. She married a man from Beruit , Lebanon while there. No, he is not a muzzlim, he does not like the religion. She is a Christian and that is a no no in the Christian religion. He is a decent guy and smart, makes decent money . I will be visiting Jamaica though... I made it clear it cant cut into deer hunting though. Also, she knows 2 sentences in Arabic . Here they are. She yells at the guys and sais " dont stare like that. Allah would be ashamed of you.. Then they look down.
© 24hourcampfire