Home
https://www.space.com/meteorite-strike-new-jersey-house-confirmed

[Linked Image from cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net]
I wonder if the college she "handed it over to" will give it back? Confirmed meteorites are worth a small fortune, and sometimes a large fortune.
4.5 billion years old, it's great that we have people smart enough to age this stuff.
There was a TV show about two guys who hunt for meteorite fragments, and IIRC, the going value back then was several hundred dollars per gram. And that was for fragments; an intact one would likely be worth a lot more.
New Jersey need to get hit by a bigger one than that.

Much bigger.
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Much bigger.

At least in Trenton.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
4.5 billion years old, it's great that we have people smart enough to age this stuff.

It wasn't that difficult to determine. It had Ingwe's baby foot prints on it. They used these before ink and paper at birth.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There was a TV show about two guys who hunt for meteorite fragments, and IIRC, the going value back then was several hundred dollars per gram. And that was for fragments; an intact one would likely be worth a lot more.

Cool show, I watch it all the time when it airs.

https://www.meteoritemen.com/

I heard this one when it hit less than 10 miles from me....

https://skyfallmeteorites.com/skyfa...s/usa/mifflin-meteorite-strewnfield-map/
That’s near the bottom of a very long list as why not to live in NJ!

Several years ago in a local museum, they were using a large (much larger than a basketball) as a doorstop to the lab! I often wondered about it’s worth! memtb
They speak a foreign language up there…😊

Here's what they do.

They guess at the amount of parent product in the original sample. They guess at the amount of daughter product in the original sample. They guess there has been nothing to bring any "new" parent product into the sample. They guess there has been nothing to leach out any of the daughter product for billions of years. Then they guess nothing has influenced the decay rate during all those billions of years.

Now let's look at the number million: If you lay $1 bills down end to end it would take about 100 miles to get to a million. A billion is 100 times a million!

Conclusion: They don't have a clue.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Now let's look at the number million: If you lay $1 bills down end to end it would take about 100 miles to get to a million. A billion is 100 times a million!

100 times a million is around 100 million.

1000 million is one billion.

Here's what they do.

They guess at the amount of parent product in the original sample. They guess at the amount of daughter product in the original sample. They guess there has been nothing to bring any "new" parent product into the sample. They guess there has been nothing to leach out any of the daughter product for billions of years. Then they guess nothing has influenced the decay rate during all those billions of years.

OK. How are they going to estimate the cost of repairs on the house?
Okay, Ringman, so you're saying that they are making an EDUCATED guess, not just a wild-ass one. Which seems pretty good to me.

Of course, they do.

It's likely they've concluded that, this being a stony meteorite, it probably came from the same material that formed the moon, which happened approx. 4.6 Bn years ago.

And it's a pretty safe guess in any event, because unless the rock came from way out inta the Milky Way, it's going ta be about that age.

Like the computer screen you're reading these pixels on.

It's from the earth. And the earth is 4.5 Bn YO.

So in theory, the computer screen is 4.5 Bn YO. Just changed from its earlier form.

Ingwe saw it come down.
Originally Posted by ironbender

100 times a million is around 100 million.

1000 million is one billion.

Damn, where is mathman when you need him?
Posted By: las Re: Why I don't live in New Jersey - 05/14/23
A guy I grew up with, and now share Alaska with, was on the Antarctic expedition to find meteorites down there. "support staff". Gofer.

There's more than one reason we don't live in the other 57 states, but 6,000 year old rocks aged by God to appear 4.6B years old, falling from the sky, isn't one of them. smile
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Much bigger.

At least in Trenton.

NJ has some schidtholes, Trenton makes the list.

But Camden....?
Camden is the àsshole of Philthadelphia.
That's special!💩💩💩💩💩💩
Okay, Ringman, so you're saying that they are making an EDUCATED guess, not just a wild-ass one. Which seems pretty good to me.

That's because you have been brainwashed for decades in government schools and TV.
So if it came from the skies, is the insurance company going to deny any claim, calling it an act of God?
Carbon dating is a hoax. They throw these big numbers at you so they look like they are doing something. They need the big numbers to make the theory of evolution work. Which it doesn’t. Just another hoax.
Originally Posted by TwoTall
Carbon dating is a hoax. They throw these big numbers at you so they look like they are doing something. They need the big numbers to make the theory of evolution work. Which it doesn’t. Just another hoax.

Carbon dating is not used for rocks that old.

Strike one.
Posted By: las Re: Why I don't live in New Jersey - 05/14/23
Carbon dating is useful only to about 60,000 years past, assuming there is enough carbon left to be dated. The farther back one goes, the wider the parameters (margin of error) get with any method, partly to do with diminishing material to work with, both in quantity and half-life. Carbon dating is used for dating carbon based organic sources. Carbon 14 is renewed daily as long as anything is alive, but not after death. It then deteriorates at a known half-life rate into Carbon 12, the stable form.

One of the most widely used is potassium–argon dating (K–Ar dating). Potassium-40 is a radioactive isotope of potassium that decays into argon-40. The half-life of potassium-40 is 1.3 billion years, far longer than that of carbon-14, allowing much older samples to be dated. Unlike carbon 14 , it is no longer being renewed on a daily basis.

I think- I could be wrong! But that's what I've gleaned over the years, and more specifically, today from Google.
It has certainly gotten a bad name lately, but science is pretty reputable. Real science, that is, as opposed to the humbuggery of invented religion or "everything deniers."
I don’t live in Jersey because a dude in a hoodie came right into my personal space as I opened my door at a gas pump and I slammed him hard.

Come to find out after the cop showed up you can’t pump your own gas and he was an attendant. I told the cops maybe he should wear a name tag or a station logo next time.

They let me go on my way.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Much bigger.

At least in Trenton.

But Camden....?
That's special!💩💩💩💩💩💩

I had to make 2 deliveries to Camden from S. Carolina in the big rig. The third time, I told them if they issued me orders to Camden I would resign. They found someone else to take that trip.
Camden, what a garbage dump.

Evolution in and of itself as a process of change can be conclusively proven in a HS science class in about 3 weeks. Over and over.

You likely take issue with macroevolution. Ok. If so, thats fair.

Moreso the origins of life, which is just a WAG scientifically.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Strike one.

Yep.

The phrase Carbon dating is often used with a broader brush than is intended. Radiometric dating is the phrase he meant.
It has certainly gotten a bad name lately, but science is pretty reputable. Real science, that is, as opposed to the humbuggery of invented religion or "everything deniers."

Yep. It ebbs and flows. Deservedly so too.

Much bigger.

At least in Trenton.

But Camden....?
That's special!💩💩💩💩💩💩

Both are simply disgusting. At this point there's several locations that would be far better off getting leveled and starting fresh.

For a small state loaded with liberals, nestled between 2 or 3 metropolis's, and 75% controlled by Scoialists, Jersey still has some beautiful gems of locations. Fewer and fewer, but still some great places in NJ.

If I could transport my family and their houses and final years of career to another state I'd snap my fingers.

It pisses me off immensely to see other "RED" states allow themselves to become purple and blue. What the hell are you guys thinking? Cnat you look at NJ and learn for crying out loud?

Strike one.
How about Rb/Sr?
That's because you have been brainwashed for decades in government schools and TV.

What is your guess the age is?
and those same eggheads will tell you a man can get pregnant.
Originally Posted by las
Carbon dating is useful only to about 60,000 years past, assuming there is enough carbon left to be dated. The farther back one goes, the wider the parameters (margin of error) get with any method, partly to do with diminishing material to work with, both in quantity and half-life. Carbon dating is used for dating carbon based organic sources. Carbon 14 is renewed daily as long as anything is alive, but not after death. It then deteriorates at a known half-life rate into Carbon 12, the stable form.

One of the most widely used is potassium–argon dating (K–Ar dating). Potassium-40 is a radioactive isotope of potassium that decays into argon-40. The half-life of potassium-40 is 1.3 billion years, far longer than that of carbon-14, allowing much older samples to be dated. Unlike carbon 14 , it is no longer being renewed on a daily basis.

I think- I could be wrong! But that's what I've gleaned over the years, and more specifically, today from Google.

Maybe you folks could explain why ALL coal, and even diamonds, and petrified wood can be CARBON dated.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Evolution in and of itself as a process of change can be conclusively proven in a HS science class in about 3 weeks. Over and over.

You likely take issue with macroevolution. Ok. If so, thats fair.

Moreso the origins of life, which is just a WAG scientifically.

Wild ass guesses are NOT scientific.
Originally Posted by ironbender

What is your guess the age is?

I got a GED when I was fifty-one years old. And even with my limited education I realize no one can give even a reasonable guess.

I do know at least two Ph.D. geologists broke a rock into multiple pieces and sent them to different labs. The range in ages was more than a billion years. And that is suppose to be believed.

Why do you think every year Ph.D. scientists become Creations?
FYG,

Yoda

PS: Afterwards you can work on your sense of humor

Radiometric dating is not all it’s cracked up to be.

seriously DD

That's not the only reason

Much bigger.

At least in Trenton.

But Camden....?
That's special!💩💩💩💩💩💩

Both are simply disgusting. At this point there's several locations that would be far better off getting leveled and starting fresh.

For a small state loaded with liberals, nestled between 2 or 3 metropolis's, and 75% controlled by Scoialists, Jersey still has some beautiful gems of locations. Fewer and fewer, but still some great places in NJ.

If I could transport my family and their houses and final years of career to another state I'd snap my fingers.

It pisses me off immensely to see other "RED" states allow themselves to become purple and blue. What the hell are you guys thinking? Cnat you look at NJ and learn for crying out loud?

The farther south you go, the better Jersey gets. IMO.
At least from interacting with the folks.

Don't be too disillusioned. Lotta guys here run their mouths. There are one, maybe two red states. The rest have at least enclaves of liberalism. Just as most blue states have some red spots.

As to stopping the blue?
Someone needs to tell me how?
There are no democrats in my sphere on frequent contacts.
The ones that were, have all turned Republican.
We vote. We can not change how Philtyh, Pittsburgh, Scranton, and Erie vote.
Or that schiddy blue dot in the middle, State College.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

seriously DD

That's not the only reason

Can’t be serious these days, truly. 😁😂🤣
Are you sure that thing didn’t get flushed out of an airplane?

Strike one.

Yep.

The phrase Carbon dating is often used with a broader brush than is intended. Radiometric dating is the phrase he meant.

No, I'm pretty sure he meant "carbon dating ."
If any one has visited New Jersey, it shouldn't really take them any time at all, to come up with a million reasons of WHY NOT to live somewhere else, besides New Jersey.

I''ve said since I was in college, when something stinks.... this place smells like New Jersey.
Once it was a nice place, ( that was before my time ) but it prostituted itself out, to big oil companies, chemical companies etc, it just has a smell to it..

and its one of the most heavily taxed states in the country, and what do you get for that? NOTHING.

New Jersey makes living in California look good.
Originally Posted by Seafire
If any one has visited New Jersey, it shouldn't really take them any time at all, to come up with a million reasons of WHY NOT to live somewhere else, besides New Jersey.

I''ve said since I was in college, when something stinks.... this place smells like New Jersey.
Once it was a nice place, ( that was before my time ) but it prostituted itself out, to big oil companies, chemical companies etc, it just has a smell to it..

and its one of the most heavily taxed states in the country, and what do you get for that? NOTHING.

New Jersey makes living in California look good.

Only Part of NJ most people see is I-95 corridor unfortunately. Western part of the state has/had some very nice areas . I enjoyed hunting and fishing in that part of the state when I lived there. I have not been back in a while and it is probably bulldozed under and cheap crap housing put in its place. The taxes are stupid expensive.
Everything up there is sort of insanity amplified.
I left South Jersey in 1984 and have never really looked back. South Jersey is not what it was when we were young, but many places aren't. I dont know that you could pay me enough to move back. I tell folks all the time that it is a great place to be from.
Originally Posted by KYFRED
I left South Jersey in 1984 and have never really looked back. South Jersey is not what it was when we were young, but many places aren't. I dont know that you could pay me enough to move back. I tell folks all the time that it is a great place to be from.

I remember when they instituted the state flat income tax of 2.5 percent in the early 80's , afraid to see what it is now. I have a Good friend that lives in South Jersey and is a Conservative . He is there because of his aging Dad, I think when he passes on he is out of there.
A 4.56 billion year old 2.2 pound rock hurtling in at about a gillion fps would make a heck of a dent in one’s noggin should Lady Luck not be on one’s side.

Keep looking up!
Originally Posted by muleshoe
A 4.56 billion year old 2.2 pound rock hurtling in at about a gillion fps would make a heck of a dent in one’s noggin should Lady Luck not be on one’s side.

Keep looking up!

I guess that would make the BC of that rock.....4.56 billion give or take a couple thousand.
© 24hourcampfire