Home
The big one!

6:30 AM today, I watched a grey fox making off with one of the daughters white leghorn layers. He spent about five minute working at getting the hen through the stockade panel fencing. He finally dropped her, jumped through the fence then reached back in and pulled her through.

I had plenty of time, I could have run inside and grabbed the 10-22 from the safe and popped him at thirty five yards. Except for that pesky "firearms in the city limits" thing.

Out at the farm, he would have caught a 123 gr 6.5 mm, or a 95 gr from the 243.

The fox calmly walked to the corner of the property, hopped through another wire panel fence and into a small creek bed. Surely has hungry babies to feed.

I told Sis we should set a snare where it comes through the fence. But we would probably catch her damned house cat.

Meanwhile Sis is catching the survivor hens and putting them inside their designated protective housing where they belong. No more "free range" eggs around here.
How about a lovely air rifle? That would put an end to Mr Fox and his antics. Fairly quiet too. Then again, there’s a suppressed 22 shooting subsonic too. You are in ID, kinda doubt they would care unless you are in Boise.
Air soft?
The CCI Quiet .22 which are listed as ~750 FPS are wicked quiet through my Sparrow suppressed RAR.
Those situations are best resolved right around the 4th of July.
No chit... I have told my wife a zillion times that I will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT live inside some 'city limits'.................. EVER!!
In our area we can shoot air rifles, pellet guns, as long as the pellet can be "reasonably expected" to stay on our property.
A single shot? Who’s gonna know?

P
Yep, living in town sucks. Thankfully I haven't since the '80's.
Our local police chief got onto the neighbor kid for shooting a skunk with his bow. “Use a damn 22 like a normal person” was his recommendation.
Many towns have firearms laws that include almost any projectile. Do you want the neighbors to embed high speed pellets or an arrow in your living room wall?
CB caps been doing it in the city around here (hear?) for quite awhile, no one's the wiser.
Is a town ordinance going to keep a neighbor who is stupid enough to shoot your house from doing so? Probably not.

Intelligent people use common sense to make decisions. Be sure of your target and backstop at all times when using firearms or any projectile launching mechanism.
22 quiet or cb caps.
I use CB caps and a bolt action rifle. Can shoot all afternoon in my back yard and no complaints.
I knew someone that was just in city limit. The limit was the back yard. Anyway, he had problems with other dogs coming around and breeding his pure bred dogs. Shot one with bird shot. Never came back and it walked with a limp for awhile. It was the policeman's dog.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Is a town ordinance going to keep a neighbor who is stupid enough to shoot your house from doing so? Probably not.

Intelligent people use common sense to make decisions. Be sure of your target and backstop at all times when using firearms or any projectile launching mechanism.

Don't know when was the last time any you all filled out a 4473, but its a question on there now. "Do you live in City Limits? YES. NO. UNSURE . Big Bro is tracking for some way to restrict our rights for sure.
This is why I don’t live in town
Crossbow, problem solved.
22 quiet is more than quiet enough for anyplace that you can raise hens.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The big one!

6:30 AM today, I watched a grey fox making off with one of the daughters white leghorn layers. He spent about five minute working at getting the hen through the stockade panel fencing. He finally dropped her, jumped through the fence then reached back in and pulled her through.

I had plenty of time, I could have run inside and grabbed the 10-22 from the safe and popped him at thirty five yards. Except for that pesky "firearms in the city limits" thing.

The fox calmly walked to the corner of the property, hopped through another wire panel fence and into a small creek bed. Surely has hungry babies to feed.

I told Sis we should set a snare where it comes through the fence. But we would probably catch her damned house cat.

Meanwhile Sis is catching the survivor hens and putting them inside their designated protective housing where they belong. No more "free range" eggs around here.

There may be an exception for protecting property.
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The big one!

There may be an exception for protecting property.

That will be on State by State , even Municipality basis.

I hear in KALIFORNIA, you don't even own your Animals. The "Person" is merely a "Guardian" , providing the nexus for .gov to interject itself into your personal affairs as Supreme. Much the way they do with Children also.
Originally Posted by RAM

Don't know when was the last time any you all filled out a 4473, but its a question on there now. "Do you live in City Limits? YES. NO. UNSURE . Big Bro is tracking for some way to restrict our rights for sure.

Three months or so, I think. No such question on the form I filled out.

P
CCI Quiet! Used them in my father's backyard for some pests several times, and that was across the street from local hospital. Nobody noticed. Worked well enough out of my 77/22 for headshots on woodchucks out to about 35 yds.
Read this & grabbed a 25" barreled 512 Rem & shucked a CCI CB cap in it. Went out the door & the rifle went puffft. Seems like nothing but have hit with it.

For shorter barrel 22 rifles, the Aguilla Super Colibri is also a viable option.
All good suggestions for most circumstances.

As the property is actually owned by daughter and her husband. They operate a well known and respected business from the premises, which is dependent upon the good graces of many .gov agencies.

I will abide by the letter of.

If need be, I know where to buy more chicks for Sis. Or we do have an incubator.

But it still stings a bit to watch the little thief walk away.
Subsonic 22 HP. Open the door or window and back up a few feet so the muzzle is well inside. You whole house acts as a suppressor.

Shoot straight, use a rest like a trigger stick, etc. ‘cause you may end up with the cat….I mean fox running around the house and into the front yard. 😳
It's a chicken, wgaf? Either shoot the dam fox or get another chicken.
I respect the situation Idaho, do what ya can, that's all any of us can do.
You can launch a subsonic or SV through an open window or door from inside the house that will be quieter than suppressed from outside. Just make sure to clear the paths of approach crossing the line of fire.
Originally Posted by RAM

Filled one out about a month ago,, since I do live within the City Limits I had to be finger printed and give DNA plus lie detector test with truth serum.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many towns have firearms laws that include almost any projectile. Do you want the neighbors to embed high speed pellets or an arrow in your living room wall?
It's pretty easy to not aim at another person's property.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by RAM

P

It's there now.

Next will be a DNA sample. mad
You can launch a subsonic or SV through an open window or door from inside the house that will be quieter than suppressed from outside. Just make sure to clear the paths of approach crossing the line of fire.

Originally Posted by KB64
The CCI Quiet .22 which are listed as ~750 FPS are wicked quiet through my Sparrow suppressed RAR.

Those Quiet 22s sound like an airgun out of my 20" Winchester M-290.

CCI also makes a 45gr Suppressor version at about 950fps that's just as quiet and you get the benefit of 5 more grains of bullet weight for added punch at distance. Doesn't really work well in my pistol, but through a rifle they work pretty well on paper. Sniping a fox would be no problem.
I have not lived within a town or city limits more than 3 years out of my coming 80 years and don't plan to in the future.

I had the local DOW officer come out a week or so ago as I have deer problem. He gave me a box of 5, 12 gauge rubber bullets.I used those up and bought 5 more boxes. I have a few left and the deer seems to have got the message. It is not uncommon for me to fire a shotgun or centerfire rifle when working on one. 22 rf most every week.
There's supposed to be no shooting in my neighborhood but I smoked a big coyote with a 75g amax from my 223 ai at about 300 yards one day. It was trying to lure my dog out to a ditch bank about 500 yards out where I could see 2 more waiting through my binos. The other jumped in the ditch and were gone after the shot that put a big hole through their friend.

My neighbors all thanked me for killing it. Another neighbors lab got tore up pretty bad about that time and the vet said it looked like coyotes.

Bb
Originally Posted by RAM

P
This link is to the ATF website. It brings up a list of the latest changes to the 4473 and, yes, there is a new question on whether you live inside a city limits.

4473 CHANGES
I look at it like whatever eggs or livestock or
vegetables that are lost might be a meal that
might be missed.
There's lots of different traps and sets that
could be used to take care of varmints without
alarming any sensitive neighbors.
I've heard that a 22 ounce Estwing framer is
relatively silent when dealing with trapped
varmints that are harmful to property

What is it everybody says?
SSS
Originally Posted by RAM

P
This link is to the ATF website. It brings up a list of the latest changes to the 4473 and, yes, there is a new question on whether you live inside a city limits.

4473 CHANGES

Thanks Rock. ATF encouraged Dealers to start using the new forms in Jan. Although they didn't provide hard copies till Feb. These guys that say they didn't see it in the last 1 to 3 months are either mistaken on the time estimate, or their Dealers are asleep at the switch. Something their audit agent will hassle them over at next audit.
Gamo Swarm Magnum 10X Gen3i. 22 caliber.
JSB 18.13gr pellet at 775 fps/24 ft-lbs.

I'm at 4000 ft. At lower elevation you will get more speed.

42-yard accuracy,

Depends on the town
Originally Posted by RAM

P

4473 CHANGES

My theory is that it helps them determine whether they have to recruit local augmentees for their goon squad from state, local or county agencies should they wish to launch a raid. Sheriffs are likely to tell them to go pound sand verses state and local agencies that tend to kiss ass and curry favor with the feral scum.
If someone was breaking in your house putting a family member in danger, that negates the firearm laws. Same if a stray dog went after your pet.

If a prosecutor tried to press charges on that one, bet that would raise all sorts of hell.

22 quiet of some sort or a powerful airgun. One through the guts and the fox would have a shortened career
.22 quiet or cb caps are so discreet that unless you're dumb enough to be seen firing on it, you're in the clear.

Originally Posted by KenMi
One through the guts and the fox would have a shortened career

Through the eyeball or the ear inside of 25 yards unless you're familiar enough with Vulpes vulpes vascular system to nick a bleeder.

The guts is evil. The fox is just hungry. Hunger is not evil.
"laws" haven't prevented projectiles from damaging house/buildings in Murderapolis, Chitcago, DEEEtroit or any other city with similar laws....

Local town even has ordinance against bow & arrow use in town.. WTH???
Originally Posted by Geno67
.22 quiet or cb caps are so discreet that unless you're dumb enough to be seen firing on it, you're in the clear.

Originally Posted by KenMi
One through the guts and the fox would have a shortened career

Through the eyeball or the ear inside of 25 yards unless you're familiar enough with Vulpes vulpes vascular system to nick a bleeder.

The guts is evil. The fox is just hungry. Hunger is not evil.

Absolutely. Foxes are not inherently evil. Gut-shooters are.
I leave a Ramset nail driver and a couple of the Ramset .22 blanks out on my tool bench for such purposes. If someone was to say anything or show up… I would point the Ramset out to them and send them on their way.
© 24hourcampfire