Home
Posted By: Riverc Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I now have a Poulan been using it for years. Thinking about buying a new one looking at Husqvarna & Stihl with a 18" bar. anyone have the 2 I mentioned like to hear the good and bad of both having a hard time deciding which one I want.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I have an 18" Stihl MS261 it's a decent saw.I spent most of today using my old 16" 028 that I like better.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Come on man is that all you have to offer lol why bother replying. Just wanting feedback on Husqvarna & Sthil chainsaws.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Get a M250 Stihl and put an 18" bar on it. I think it's a very good option for a home owner with some property. It's not a pro grade saw, but it will cut a pretty good size tree. I've had mine for about 25 years with no problems. We always had to take one with us to the deer camp in case we had to cut our way in or out after a storm. It never failed me and got me through some scrapes.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Is there an echo in here?
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by Riverc

Come on man is that all you have to offer lol why bother replying. Just wanting feedback on Husqvarna & Sthil chainsaws.

10 pages minimum, and at least 5 posters INSISTING you need a $700 commercial chainsaw to do the work that a $100 Poulan has been doing for years…
Posted By: Hesp Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I have both Husqvarna & Stihl. My Husqvarna is a model 345 with 18 & a 16" bar. Bought it new in 2000 or 2001. Still running great. All I have replaced on it is a fuel line, air filter, drive sprocket , bars & chains. Engine & carb have never been touched. Cut several cord with it this spring. Mt Stihl 251 is a much newer . Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. Will see if it last as long as my Husqyarna.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo are all good saws. Do some research to find the very best dealer in your area for service and one that will be in business long term and buy a 50cc saw, whichever brand of those mentioned that they sell. Purchase a Professional grade saw if you can afford it, if not the home/farm saw will give good service to the casual user.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
How big of a saw do you need? I worked for a tree business a while back, the Stihl 170 got used more than anything else but we were trimming limbs for the most part. We ran 'em hard, if one would start having a problem for $180 we'd go buy a new one, that happened once in 3 years.
Posted By: whelen97 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
We have a half-dozen Stihls from top handle tree saws to a 661. All of our saws are the carbureted non mtronic models. The only Husky I have had never really ran well for me.
Originally Posted by fburgtx

10 pages minimum, and at least 5 posters INSISTING you need a $700 commercial chainsaw to do the work that a $100 Poulan has been doing for years…
laugh Oh Lord
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Forgot about echo will look at those too.
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
How big of a saw do you need? I worked for a tree business a while back, the Stihl 170 got used more than anything else but we were trimming limbs for the most part. We ran 'em hard, if one would start having a problem for $180 we'd go buy a new one, that happened once in 3 years.
18-20" have a Poulan 14 & 16 they getting wore out cutting bigger trees falling on the property. Thinking a upgrade is needed for bígger tress use the other 2 for cutting limbs.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I ran nothing but Husky my whole timber cutting career and your gonna get alot of opinions but whatever you buy run nothing but premium non- ethanol gas and good 2 cycle mix oil is the best advice. The ethanol crap will eat your fuel line up.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I have a Husqvarna 450 with a 18" bar. Never had an issue with it.
I ran 2 1/2 gallons of fuel and a gallon of bar oil through it this past winter. It always starts and always runs Great saw.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I'd brand with the closest service center.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I can’t think of a saw I’ve ever had that was bad. Currently using an echo 590 after years of Stihl.
Posted By: hardway Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I ran nothing but Husky my whole timber cutting career and your gonna get alot of opinions but whatever you buy run nothing but premium non- ethanol gas and good 2 cycle mix oil is the best advice. The ethanol crap will eat your fuel line up.

I won't even get into what brand but this ☝🏻 is FACT. Running non-ethanol in small engines has been the best thing I have ever done. I even convinced the powers that be at work to switch over..... As a company, we run probably in excess of 500 small 2 stroke engines.... mostly Stihl cutt-off saws. We are a large grading,paving, and underground utility construction company with over 2000 field employees....... up until about 3 years ago the guys were supplied the 2 stroke oil and had to mix themselves with plain old gas from the gas station..... I highly doubt the fuel was mixed correctly, contaminated gas cans, old gas, you name it..... saws were always in for repairs and the ones that did run, ran like chit.

We switched over to the Stihl brand of pre-mix fuel and while expensive we figure it saves us approximately 35-40k a year just on the higher fuel cost vs repairs..... that isn't even counting the loss of production when a saw craps out on the job or someone using the wrong tool because the saw is broke and getting hurt etc.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Buy either the Stihl or Husky, but only the pro-model saws with a dealer that services them nearby.

I'm a huge fan of the Husky XP line of saws and currently have an XP550 (50cc) for all my firewood cutting. Although I have no real servicing dealers nearby. But then again, in 5 years, it's never needed service.
Posted By: shootem Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Can you AI a chainsaw? Like maybe a Stihl 240 AI. Asking for a friend who doesn’t get out much…….
Posted By: las Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I have had 2 Stihls, a Jonsered(Husky), and 2 Echos in the last 40 years. Still running the latter two brands and 3 saws because the Stihls never started or ran worth my time.

They are called Stihls because after an hour you will Stihl be trying to start the damned things.

Others' milage seems to vary...
[quote=AKduck]I can’t think of a saw I’ve ever had that was bad. Currently using an echo 590 after years of Stihl.[/quote
I was looking at the Echo Timber Wolf 590-20 online a few minutes ago I like it can go up to a 24" bar gets better reviews than Husqvarna and Stihl.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I've got two, a Stihl MS211C that I inherited from my Dad and an MS 271 that I bought myself. Both have been excellent cutters. I did break the little pawls in the starter of the 211, it has the EZ start and I was pulling too hard on the rope instead of letting the spring do the work. Wore out the bearing on the clutch drum. Not bad for 15 years use. The 271 is much newer so no comments on durability but it's a much heavier duty saw than the 211. The 271 usually comes with a 18" bar but I opted for a 20". Some large trunks to cut up. Small stuff I can use the 211. Husqvarna makes excellent saws too.
Posted By: dingo Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Either a Husqvarna 455 Rancher or Stihl MS291 are both excellent saws that work perfectly with an 18" or 20". I've owned both.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Viper225 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I ran a Husky 455 Rancher, or whatever the older version of this saw was for years. It was a great saw until I started having problems with it. Probably Fuel related. (I had it before I was smart enough to keep Ethanol out of it) Our local Husky dealer was a joke. I replaced it with a new Stihl 440 Magnum because we had a great Stihl dealer. He has now retired. I still have the 440 Magnum for big stuff. My last saw purchase for smaller work was an Echo CS400. So far I am very happy with it. I use the Echo 90% of the time since I bought it.

Extremely good advice to keep Ethanol Fuel out of all small engines. Every thing on the place filled from a gas can to include my old John Deere Tractor runs on Ethanol FREE Premium. I normally put a shot of Stabil and a shot of Marvel Mystery oil in my 5 Gallon Fuel cans if they will be setting any time at all. I also run brand name 2-cycle Oil, mostly Stihl in the 2-Cycles.

Service is important. Make sure you can get whatever you buy serviced when it needs it.

Bob R
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I was looking at the Echo Timber Wolf 590-20 online a few minutes ago I like it can go up to a 24" bar gets better reviews than Husqvarna and Stihl.

^IMO thats the one. It's borderline pro saw, runs great, and you can put the $$ you saved into better none eth-oh fuel.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Family friend tore a muscle in his side screwing with a saw. He just thought it was one of those things that would go away. Dead 5 days later with sepsis.

Use my method, hire somebody to pull that rope.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Well played Mr. Hunter, well played.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155007358326?epid=8032786759&hash=item2417289576:g:3IEAAOSwL5lii8W~&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4NBUj4%2FUEG03nBLs2KVvdjcSo%2BXLFPTERYrBawtyN4fQ8ZvxP%2FPBqPajj%2F%2BrwZ9dmoCCCpAMFHGXYxIbbhoyx4F6gP6tcgG8XA0yCSOXadKf%2F1hMni8PQ8HJ3FbXp%2FiTvvuZD6%2BdNntERpGbXI3Uy4VwQFnEPaW9FhZUSNJ5QE95P4G51Mt5kCvZpByhJaxPpUqNXnGTNmO0bsJ9WAQZy0%2BmCU8AcnFrT1yPC0P05H0BK38zENyNC%2FXgxrynyHHQ07EXTcNa0AgZfFP9NSnXZEvsvIkXDbcJLwWPS8LODi%2Bx%7Ctkp%3ABFBMhqKYlaJi

I got one of these last year and could not be more pleased. These may have a scuff or bad box that they cannot sell as new.
Posted By: WMR Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Family friend tore a muscle in his side screwing with a saw. He just thought it was one of those things that would go away. Dead 5 days later with sepsis.

Huh? Gotta be more to that story. I’ve seen saw cuts and tree felling injuries. The recoil cord hazard is a new one on me. 🤔
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
If you don't run at least a Stihl 880... you need to turn in your man card for good.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I'm a Stihl guy, culling the herd down to only 4 saws a couple years ago. Love 'em.

That said I just came into an old Husqvarna 141 and after a days work in tearing it down, cleaning it up, and replacing parts, it seems to work pretty well. Reminds me of a Poulan though, as there seems to be some interchangeability of parts with Poulans. Anyway, I plan to use it to use it for rough work, like fencelines and clearing/digging out roots.

As to the Echo saws I had a number of 330's over the years and had little to complain about. Top handle saws. They were reliable and light, and easy to find parts for. But I sent them down the road in the interest of simplifying life.
Posted By: Wyodogger Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
"Running non-ethanol in small engines has been the best thing I have ever done." Amen to that! Using that 10% ethanol crap cost me $200 for a gummed-up carb.

Re. Stihls, they run great once you get them started, but the tiny little controls on my 20" require me to remove my gloves every time I want to start/fiddle with it, which is irritating. Perhaps the pro models are better, I don't know.
Originally Posted by WMR

Huh? Gotta be more to that story. I’ve seen saw cuts and tree felling injuries. The recoil cord hazard is a new one on me. 🤔

Don't have the last word yet, the above story came from his sister in law.

The guy was not an idiot, just retired pharmacist.

The local hospital he went to is not somewhere I'd go. Last resort only. I think it was a bad call on someone in that ER. They looked at him and just sent him home. I think that was his mistake, not going somewhere else sooner.

I thought sepsis was a easy call with blood labs?
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I'm a Stihl guy, culling the herd down to only 4 saws a couple years ago. Love 'em.

That said I just came into an old Husqvarna 141 and after a days work in tearing it down, cleaning it up, and replacing parts, it seems to work pretty well. Reminds me of a Poulan though, as there seems to be some interchangeability of parts with Poulans. Anyway, I plan to use it to use it for rough work, like fencelines and clearing/digging out roots.

As to the Echo saws I had a number of 330's over the years and had little to complain about. Top handle saws. They were reliable and light, and easy to find parts for. But I sent them down the road in the interest of simplifying life.

My old Husqvarna 141 just keeps working. With decades of neglect and inadequate maintenance, I’m not sure why, but it does. I’ll be buying a slightly larger saw in the near future. Probably Stihl or Husky unless I’m convinced otherwise.
Originally Posted by WMR

The local hospital he went to is not somewhere I'd go. Last resort only. I think it was a bad call on someone in that ER. They looked at him and just sent him home. I think that was his mistake, not going somewhere else sooner.

Very often it’s not easy at all. Sorry to hear about your friend though. Millions of people will recoil start engines today. Most will survive.

Along this line, what’s up with the newer “easy start” saws? I think Stihl has this. Is this a good thing?
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Echo gives the most bang for buck in a homeowner grade saw. Husky is just an orange Poulan and Sthil is selling you a name only.
Posted By: RAS Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Echo CS 590 with 20 inch blade. This last winter especially, was used very hard. Zero issues over normal maintenance.

Only con is that it is a little heavier than its competitors. But I can handle that if it gives similar performance and a much better price point.

More on this saw.

https://www.techgearlab.com/reviews/tools/chainsaw/echo-cs-590
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Very often it’s not easy at all. Sorry to hear about your friend though. Millions of people will recoil start engines today. Most will survive.

Along this line, what’s up with the newer “easy start” saws? I think Stihl has this. Is this a good thing?

It ain’t bad once you figure out you have to pull the throttle trigger in order to turn the choke on. I still prefer the older versions with the primer bulb, but whatever. They’ll both crank fine.
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Yep, his situation sounds more like a freak accident. Like a splinter causing the loss of a finger thing.

He was a good guy, raised great kids and basically raised a great nephew as well. His family will definitely miss him.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
My choice would depend on what local dealers there are. I wouldn’t want to have to drive 100 miles or order a bar or chain online.

I’d recommend staying away from the big box stores for such a purchase.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Save lives and the planet, go electric.
Posted By: 71Maverick Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I have an Echo Timber Wolf that has been outstanding, I would not hesitate to recommend to looking at one if you need a saw that size
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by 71Maverick
I have an Echo Timber Wolf that has been outstanding, I would not hesitate to recommend to looking at one if you need a saw that size

Way better than my Huskys or Stihls.👍
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Stihl is the best.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Echo for me, plus a 5 year warranty.
Posted By: Creekside0423 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Live in a mountain forest. Use a Husqvarna 435 18" for lite stuff. Use a Stihl MS362 18" with an occasional 24" bar for bigger stuff. Both are worked hard here with the Husqvarna having more problems. The Stihl has been bulletproof. Important to have local shop to service them.
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Riverc handle both and see which feels best they both are good and have subtle differences my brother and I have been running Husky's for over 20 years good and faster more compression heavier more expensive when last I looked. My dad who's been running chainsaws longer than both of us just bought a smaller Stihl last year that I had an opportunity to run and it's a nice light saw. I thought idle feature is pretty nice not crazy about all the choke positions doesn't hold much fuel so there's a trade off.

The fuel advice and dealer advice above is solid. I have to drive past more than one Stihl dealer to go to a Husky dealer. Both are pretty reliable saws so it's hard to go wrong. I thought a friend of mine who repairs a lot of small engines for a large landscape company told me the new Stihl's have a PC board in them he wasn't thrilled with. I need to see him again some of the old school small engine repair guys have good advice.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: carrollco Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Go with the Echo. It has the best warranty for the homeowner and great reliability. I always owned hand me downs, pawn shop and yard sale saws. I treated myself to a brand new in the box Echo 490 with a 20” bar. I researched saws in person and on the internet before buying one in the box on EBay for
$312. I have been more than pleased with its ability and performance. We have 32 acres and plenty of blowdowns. It has enabled us to cut our way out the drive and not wait on the county.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I keep a Stihl around for yard and driveway clearance, don't burn wood anymore.

Local service for them not so much Husky.

Best plan is find someone else to run them whenever possible laugh
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Husky my timber cutting career as well. Have a few Stihls. They are OK, but I prefer the Swedes. Ethanol is the devil. Remember, opinions are like [bleep]. Some of these experts have difficulty with string trimmers.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
I had an Echo cs 5000 years ago and it was a POS. Sold it and bought a Stihl 291 Farm boss. That is a good saw. My brother has the same saw and he's been cutting 10 cord of firewood with it every year for 10 years now without issue.
Originally Posted by Stammster
Save lives and the planet, go electric.
No Thank you they junk imo
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Echo is hard to beat for the money and can be bought at Home Depot if ya don’t have a saw shop close. I like both Echo and Stihl
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Another Echo Timberwolf user. For the money a very good saw that is very close to commercial grade. Much better than the cheap Stihl's and Husky's. Cutting three or four cords a year, so don't need a commercial grade saw. If I was using a saw more, perhaps a commercial Stihl. As said ethanol free gas will eliminate a lot of issues.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
A chainsaw thread! Is it the first of the month again already?
Posted By: hanco Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Stihl
Posted By: 16penny Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Pulan pull and pull and pull and pull
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Used Poulans for years. Cheap crap never lasted over a year or two and repairs cost more than a new saw, so I just bought a new saw.
During the Texas "Deep Freeze", my youngest grabbed a Husqvarna (Husky) at a TSC so we could cut fire wood!
That thing starts in about 3 pulls and has NEVER been in a shop! ....and that's even after sitting for over a year!!!
Always bought "WeedEater" brand string trimmers. About two years and toss out and replace. Again, repairs cost more than the trimmer value.
Oldest kid bought a Homelite. It's been running and starting within 3 or 4 pulls for about 3 years now and has never been in a shop!
I no longer buy Poulan or Weedeater.
I've never owned a Stihl, but understand they are quite hardy.

I'm not a lumberjack, so don't spend my days whacking down massive trees, but I have cut down a lot of 24" to 30" red oaks for firewood over the years.
I've never used a chainsaw with more than a 14" blade.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
#husky4life
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Chainsaws - 07/01/23
Do you like bending from the waist to limb downed trees and work close to the ground?

I do not. And that is why my Stihl which came with a 20 inch bar now wears a 25 inch. No, it will not pull 25 inches of cut in a 36 inch log. But who says, that just because you have a large tool, you have to shove the whole thing in.
Originally Posted by cra1948
A chainsaw thread! Is it the first of the month again already?
Yes sir have some extra money to spend from my social security check smile
Posted By: Riverc Re: Chainsaws - 07/02/23
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to buy the EchoTimber Wolf CS-590-20 gets good reviews and the price is right.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Chainsaws - 07/02/23
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to buy the EchoTimber Wolf CS-590-20 gets good reviews and the price is right.
👍👍
Posted By: ihookem Re: Chainsaws - 07/02/23
You will like the 590 . However, you may want to also look at the Echo 4910. I have the Echo 620p and the 501P. They are just a little different than the 590 and 4910 but just a few different parts. If you are not cutting much wood bigger than 12" hardwood you will also like the 4910. The 590 is a better deal and only slightly more money. However, the 4910 is a real nice saw too. I am not a Echo or Stihl fan . I have both , a 441 Stihl is a monster. It is fussy, but goes like crazy. Next down in power is my Echo 620. It can't run with the 441 but is very respectable in the 20" ash we have all over. Next down is my 31 yr. old Stihl 034. I bought it 31 yrs. ago and was my main saw. When it was 7 yrs. old, the ignition module went out and they fixed it for free in life time warranty. ( Echo cant do that) However, this spring it would not start. I took it in to a real good old timer mechanic and it was a hose, a carb and one either thing. After 31 yrs. I have $131 in repairs. (you can't beat that) My next saw down is my Echo 501P and my Stihl 026. The 026 is 24 yrs old and does not run quite right but use it to fell the trees in case a tree spins and falls on it. I love all my saws equally. I have almost always run 10% ethanol and I cant say it is bad . The 034 can not be blamed for ethanol , it was 31 yrs. old. The only thing about my Echos are the chain falls off sometimes. The key is to run decent oil and don't use old gas . After 1 month I will put it in my wood splitter or car. To keep this pi$$ing match going , I have used Amsoil Sabre for most of the saws life and sometimes at 100 /1 but now I just put in 2 oz. per gal . for a 64/1 ratio. Never had a problem with 10% ethanol in 40 yrs. Just dont keep it in the saw for more than a month, run it out till it stalls and then pull on it a bunch of times to make sure it is out and the more often you run the saws the better. For the guy who has a utility company on an above post blames ethanol, but ethanol is not the problem. It is the employees that dont respect the company tools and dont know what 50/1 oil ratio means.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Chainsaws - 07/02/23
Originally Posted by WMR

A local farmer here fell a few years ago. His leg swelled up and he died soon after. Some say he must have had existing health issues. Sad deal. My uncle's employee fell and seemed fine waiting in the ER before he droped dead from internal bleeding. ER's can be clueless and cocky. Mom had a minor stroke while visiting. If my wife wasn't a sharp nurse and advocated for her the ER might have left her in the lobby too. She's got some ER stories that will curl your hair....
Posted By: 1minute Re: Chainsaws - 07/03/23
A bit off track here, but near all decisions in our lives are made by humans. Even those in emergency rooms. To date, I've not seen a perfect one yet.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Chainsaws - 07/03/23
Alzheimer's must be heavy there's a campfire because he's threads are so repeated on the chainsaws.... buy a major brand that you have service for locally use ethanol free fuel... not much after that. if you can't pull the rope buy you a battery one nowadays
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Chainsaws - 07/03/23
This is good advice. 👆
© 24hourcampfire