Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Family friend tore a muscle in his side screwing with a saw. He just thought it was one of those things that would go away. Dead 5 days later with sepsis.

Use my method, hire somebody to pull that rope.

Huh? Gotta be more to that story. I’ve seen saw cuts and tree felling injuries. The recoil cord hazard is a new one on me. 🤔

Don't have the last word yet, the above story came from his sister in law.

The guy was not an idiot, just retired pharmacist.

The local hospital he went to is not somewhere I'd go. Last resort only. I think it was a bad call on someone in that ER. They looked at him and just sent him home. I think that was his mistake, not going somewhere else sooner.

I thought sepsis was a easy call with blood labs?

Very often it’s not easy at all. Sorry to hear about your friend though. Millions of people will recoil start engines today. Most will survive.

Along this line, what’s up with the newer “easy start” saws? I think Stihl has this. Is this a good thing?

Yep, his situation sounds more like a freak accident. Like a splinter causing the loss of a finger thing.

He was a good guy, raised great kids and basically raised a great nephew as well. His family will definitely miss him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My choice would depend on what local dealers there are. I wouldn’t want to have to drive 100 miles or order a bar or chain online.

I’d recommend staying away from the big box stores for such a purchase.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Save lives and the planet, go electric.

Last edited by Stammster; 07/01/23.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have an Echo Timber Wolf that has been outstanding, I would not hesitate to recommend to looking at one if you need a saw that size

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 71Maverick
I have an Echo Timber Wolf that has been outstanding, I would not hesitate to recommend to looking at one if you need a saw that size

Way better than my Huskys or Stihls.👍

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stihl is the best.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Echo for me, plus a 5 year warranty.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Live in a mountain forest. Use a Husqvarna 435 18" for lite stuff. Use a Stihl MS362 18" with an occasional 24" bar for bigger stuff. Both are worked hard here with the Husqvarna having more problems. The Stihl has been bulletproof. Important to have local shop to service them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Riverc handle both and see which feels best they both are good and have subtle differences my brother and I have been running Husky's for over 20 years good and faster more compression heavier more expensive when last I looked. My dad who's been running chainsaws longer than both of us just bought a smaller Stihl last year that I had an opportunity to run and it's a nice light saw. I thought idle feature is pretty nice not crazy about all the choke positions doesn't hold much fuel so there's a trade off.

The fuel advice and dealer advice above is solid. I have to drive past more than one Stihl dealer to go to a Husky dealer. Both are pretty reliable saws so it's hard to go wrong. I thought a friend of mine who repairs a lot of small engines for a large landscape company told me the new Stihl's have a PC board in them he wasn't thrilled with. I need to see him again some of the old school small engine repair guys have good advice.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go with the Echo. It has the best warranty for the homeowner and great reliability. I always owned hand me downs, pawn shop and yard sale saws. I treated myself to a brand new in the box Echo 490 with a 20” bar. I researched saws in person and on the internet before buying one in the box on EBay for
$312. I have been more than pleased with its ability and performance. We have 32 acres and plenty of blowdowns. It has enabled us to cut our way out the drive and not wait on the county.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep a Stihl around for yard and driveway clearance, don't burn wood anymore.

Local service for them not so much Husky.

Best plan is find someone else to run them whenever possible laugh

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I ran nothing but Husky my whole timber cutting career and your gonna get alot of opinions but whatever you buy run nothing but premium non- ethanol gas and good 2 cycle mix oil is the best advice. The ethanol crap will eat your fuel line up.
Husky my timber cutting career as well. Have a few Stihls. They are OK, but I prefer the Swedes. Ethanol is the devil. Remember, opinions are like [bleep]. Some of these experts have difficulty with string trimmers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I had an Echo cs 5000 years ago and it was a POS. Sold it and bought a Stihl 291 Farm boss. That is a good saw. My brother has the same saw and he's been cutting 10 cord of firewood with it every year for 10 years now without issue.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stammster
Save lives and the planet, go electric.
No Thank you they junk imo

Last edited by Riverc; 07/01/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Echo is hard to beat for the money and can be bought at Home Depot if ya don’t have a saw shop close. I like both Echo and Stihl

Thanks, Billy
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another Echo Timberwolf user. For the money a very good saw that is very close to commercial grade. Much better than the cheap Stihl's and Husky's. Cutting three or four cords a year, so don't need a commercial grade saw. If I was using a saw more, perhaps a commercial Stihl. As said ethanol free gas will eliminate a lot of issues.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A chainsaw thread! Is it the first of the month again already?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Stihl

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pulan pull and pull and pull and pull

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used Poulans for years. Cheap crap never lasted over a year or two and repairs cost more than a new saw, so I just bought a new saw.
During the Texas "Deep Freeze", my youngest grabbed a Husqvarna (Husky) at a TSC so we could cut fire wood!
That thing starts in about 3 pulls and has NEVER been in a shop! ....and that's even after sitting for over a year!!!
Always bought "WeedEater" brand string trimmers. About two years and toss out and replace. Again, repairs cost more than the trimmer value.
Oldest kid bought a Homelite. It's been running and starting within 3 or 4 pulls for about 3 years now and has never been in a shop!
I no longer buy Poulan or Weedeater.
I've never owned a Stihl, but understand they are quite hardy.

I'm not a lumberjack, so don't spend my days whacking down massive trees, but I have cut down a lot of 24" to 30" red oaks for firewood over the years.
I've never used a chainsaw with more than a 14" blade.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.