Home
Posted By: MarineHawk Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Has anyone been watching this?

I really liked the original 6-season series. But this new version, although okay at times, is really disappointing to me. I watched episode 5 last night, and I thought it mostly was terrible. I watched it with my 16 and 19 year old sons who loved the original series, and they too were happy when it was over. We had a much better time playing Scrabble after it ended.

So, there is the PC-inspired interracial relationship that Givens gets into, which made us groan just because that’s always being shoved down everyone’s throats in huge volumes. I could overlook that somewhat if it made any sense, but it just doesn’t. The black lady has less personality than a stale potato; she’s fat; she’s ugly; and, aside from her ethnicity, there is NOTHING attractive or interesting about her. No one on the planet would find her attractive. Yet, Givens, who was the object of affection of numerous super-hot ladies in the original series, is all smitten with this bland ugly lady. And they made that the centerpiece of the whole episode. It’s just sooooo stupid and boring. If Givens was smitten with some super-hot woman from any ethnicity, it might have been bearable, but that dominant storyline is just so bad.
Waste of fuggn time. I made it through three episodes and done.
Disappointed in the show. Watched three hoping it would get rolling, but no…
Posted By: greydog Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
How many gay couples so far? Trans? Any series made now has to have these components. GD
Posted By: JPro Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
I've probably bailed on more new series than I've finished in the last couple years. The studios have lost their minds about what people want to watch and instead are making what they want us to watch.

The crazy thing is, the formula for what works is right there. Most folk's favorite series and movies are now over 7-8 years old.
Posted By: armchair Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
With all the black and gay members of the Campfire, I'm surprised it hasn't got more fans.
Originally Posted by JPro
I've probably bailed on more new series than I've finished in the last couple years. The studios have lost their minds about what people want to watch and instead are making what they want us to watch.

The crazy thing is, the formula for what works is right there. Most folk's favorite series and movies are now over 7-8 years old.

I agree. A couple of recent exceptions to me are Yellowstone and Ozark.
Posted By: JPro Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
I finally dropped out on Ozark because the main couple were unlikable, pretentious dirtbags at heart and I couldn't find myself pulling for them anymore. I did watch it for several years before I'd seen enough. It was well done in most aspects.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I really liked the original 6-season series. But this new version, although okay at times, is really disappointing to me. I watched episode 5 last night, and I thought it mostly was terrible. I watched it with my 16 and 19 year old sons who loved the original series, and they too were happy when it was over. We had a much better time playing Scrabble after it ended.

So, there is the PC-inspired interracial relationship that Givens gets into, which made us groan just because that’s always being shoved down everyone’s throats in huge volumes. I could overlook that somewhat if it made any sense, but it just doesn’t. The black lady has less personality than a stale potato; she’s fat; she’s ugly; and, aside from her ethnicity, there is NOTHING attractive or interesting about her. No one on the planet would find her attractive. Yet, Givens, who was the object of affection of numerous super-hot ladies in the original series, is all smitten with this bland ugly lady. And they made that the centerpiece of the whole episode. It’s just sooooo stupid and boring. If Givens was smitten with some super-hot woman from any ethnicity, it might have been bearable, but that dominant storyline is just so bad.

I had a sinking feeling it was going to go there, and it did. Much to my disappointment. The original series Justified was pretty darned good. This one is shaping up to be dull and slow. Combine that with Givens hooking up with that unattractive overweight defense attorney, and forget about it.
I watached the first episode and it didn’t get my interest at all, especially compared to the previous version. None of the characters made me want to see more of them. A review I read said the main protagonist was introduced in the first episode and no one stood out as being worthy.
Givens boning the black DA......🤮
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Darn, I've got the series recorded but haven't watched any yet. Really liked the original.
The new show is ‘based on’ Elmore Leonard’s ideas and characters. . The writers, Andron and Dinner are just not Leonard’s equal. By a long shot.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The new show is ‘based on’ Elmore Leonard’s ideas and characters. . The writers, Andron and Dinner are just not Leonard’s equal. By a long shot.

There aren't many writers around who can touch Elmore Leonard's talent.

My opinion.

L.W.
I have watched all but the first one of the series. Big disapointment. miles
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
I would love to hear the commentary from Boyd Crowder when he found out ol Raylon was "burning that coal".
When Raylon hooked up with the ugly defense lawyer, it was a jump the shark moment. Most saw it coming. The writing is poor at best. The original series was great, this time, don’t waste your time.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Boring.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Boring.
Posted By: SKane Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/11/23
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I really liked the original 6-season series. But this new version, although okay at times, is really disappointing to me. I watched episode 5 last night, and I thought it mostly was terrible.

Same.
Big let down.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
It’s not in the same league as the original. Boyd Crowder went a long way to making it what it was.
I said months ago it was going to suck big time...but would you people listen?

Oh no....of course not.
Yuck! That's all I have to say on this thus far!
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
We watched the first 3-4 episodes and kicked it to the curb. The reboot isn't even a shadow of the original.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
Just watched episode 5. I'm done with it. Poorly written with no flow to the story. A poor remake of a great original series.
Posted By: 700LTR Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
Jungle fever with an ugly woman.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I said months ago it was going to suck big time...but would you people listen?

Oh no....of course not.
OK Jimmy Ebert. Settle down
Posted By: Houser52 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
I’m a big fan of the first one and I’ve suffered through the 5 new episodes so far. I keep hoping something exciting is going to happen but nothing but crap so far.

Terrible storyline, no action, no gunfights, Raylan hooking up with the ugly AA- DA and the bad guy running around in his jockeys all the time. WTH?
Gone Woke.

Like all the rest of the film/TV industry.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
Well, at least they didn’t cast Raylan as a black dude, or hook him up with one…….yet. Recent events show that is certainly possible from our pals in Hollywood.

Honestly, it’s hard to believe they couldn’t come up with a better-looking black gal for him. The “real” Raylan wouldn’t look twice at that one. You notice they showed more of his skin than hers. OTOH, the bad guy’s girl is quite fetching, aside from the dope.

Never fear, I’m pretty sure she’s going to jail or in the ground before this is over. And if Raylan’s lucky, what happens in the Motor City, stays in the Motor City.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/12/23
Originally Posted by greydog
How many gay couples so far? Trans? Any series made now has to have these components. GD

And bleck dudes screwing blondes.
In the book on which the story is based the DA was not black. But what did you expect in the era of The little mermaid and snow black? The Equalizer went from an old white English guy to a black guy to a large black women. The only safe story may be Tarzan.
Posted By: armchair Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/13/23
There is hope. Recently found on MGM+ the original Outer Limits from the 50-60s.
50+ episodes, only one Jambony so far and he was a bartender who knew his place.
Seems to be the norm that seasons after the first are rarely as good as the first. One we have found to be a second season winner is The Lincoln Lawyer. It's on Netflix!
Posted By: MOGC Re: Justified: City Primeval - 08/17/23
Oh hell, now the bar owner Sweet and the bartender are a gay couple. For [bleep]'s sake, they are gonna check all the pc boxes.
Originally Posted by armchair
There is hope. Recently found on MGM+ the original Outer Limits from the 50-60s.
50+ episodes, only one Jambony so far and he was a bartender who knew his place.
© 24hourcampfire