Home
I had to put our beautiful and beloved dog Kappa to sleep this morning.

I have owned many dogs since childhood and my best friends and memories have always been with our hunting dogs, growing up. I was lucky growing up, my father was a hunting dog breeder, so I had lots of great friends to go on adventures with and to love.

I have come to the conclusion that the only living being on our blue planet, that will give you true unconditional love is a dog, which is most likely why the word Dog spelled in reverse is God.

He died peacefully in my arms and on my lap during the mercy injection this morning. I cried like a baby, but I knew that keeping him longer would not be correct and selfish. He was 15 and my better 1/2's dog which she brought into our relationship, but he quickly became my good little buddy. He was the only dog I have ever owned that was not a bird dog. He was a Shih Tzu and a friendly and good little boy.

If anyone would like to say a little prayer for my buddy Kappa, that would be appreciated.

Thank you, good people from 24 Hour Campfire.

Dogs Rule!
Sorry brother. That’s the worst part about it, they weren’t built to last forever.
That's tough. I'm sure you gave him a good life
Originally Posted by KillerBee

I have owned many dogs since childhood and my best friends and memories have always been with our hunting dogs, growing up. I was lucky growing up, my father was a hunting dog breeder, so I had lots of great friends to go on adventures with and to love.

I have come to the conclusion that the only living being on our blue planet, that will give you true unconditional love is a dog, which is most likely why the word Dog spelled in reverse is God.

He died peacefully in my arms and on my lap during the mercy injection this morning. I cried like a baby, but I knew that keeping him longer would not be correct and selfish. He was 15 and my better 1/2's dog which she brought into our relationship, but he quickly became my good little buddy. He was the only dog I have ever owned that was not a bird dog. He was a Shih Tzu and a friendly and good little boy.

If anyone would like to say a little prayer for my buddy Kappa, that would be appreciated.

Dogs Rule!

Ouch. My wife’s little guy is on his last legs- literally- and I may have to put him down before she gets back. He’s at least 17, maybe older (rescue dog). It’s tough. I’ve held several in my arms as you describe. You don’t forget it, nor should you, it’s a solemn and precious moment. All dogs go to heaven, they are pure souls.

Happy trails to Kappa!
Kappa will be well received in Heaven Rio7
A tough deal indeed, but they live as long as our memories persist.
Sorry to hear that my friend, I sure can relate since I lost my sweetheart in February and I too cried like a baby and still do. When you develop such close friendship and they're gone it feels like part of you is gone forever.
Prayers sent to Kappa. A good dog is a friend indeed.
Very sorry you are dealing with this. They truly become family members. I have a teary eye thinking about the day when I have to put my partner down. She is in my avatar

Dogs Rule!
Sorry to hear this. It's always an emotionally wrenching experience for we dog lovers. A part of our soul is literally ripped out, leaving a gaping and painful hole. Takes some time for that hole to close up, but in never does completely. A new dog always helps. Check out the local animal shelter.
Don't need prayers....All dogs go to heaven.
Very sorry for you! Yes…..it’s a very painful thing to do! memtb
I’m sorry to hear of your loss. The only two times that I can remember really crying in the past 20 plus years have been when I lost dogs. I cried like a baby both times.
Sorry to hear you lost your pal KB.

Good Boy Kappa, good boy.
RIP little buddy.
About the love of a dog.

Twilight Zone: The Hunt
Once my three are gone there will be no more dogs.
I’m just gonna keep buying puppies when the older dog gets ten or so .
My condolences
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My wive said that after I had to put our Cocker down, he was 17.

That was a couple years ago.

Since then she would bring her phone up to me to look a rescue dog photos, “isn’t she/cute.”

Yes we have a new dog, a four year old Bichon.

“ No more dogs” is a hard promise to keep, at least for us.
Originally Posted by steve4102

Since then she would bring her phone up to me to look a rescue dog photos, “isn’t she/cute.”

I put my Rottweiler down in 2000 it was two years before we ended up with another dog. They are better then all people actually but it is too much a heartache to put them down.

I put my Rottweiler down in 2000 it was two years before we ended up with another dog. They are better then all people actually but it is too much a heartache to put them down.
It truly is.

Saying good-buy to my buddy Ranger at the vet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Sorry to hear this Killer

We found ourselves in the same situation. We weren’t going to go through the pain again……but, we inherited my dad’s dog when he went to live in a veteran’s home. No one wanted the dog, so we took her…..then we ended up with 2 pupies to give her “dog” company! We were a 3 dog family once again….for a while! memtb
Sorry it Sucks! Been there. Wife's little dog going down hill fast. Dam.
Prayers for the little guy, RIP Kappa
Sorry about your buddy KB! As soon as you are up to it, I'd go get another little buddy! Lot's little buddies out there looking and needing a friend!
Originally Posted by memtb

We found ourselves in the same situation. We weren’t going to go through the pain again……but, we inherited my dad’s dog when he went to live in a veteran’s home. No one wanted the dog, so we took her…..then we ended up with 2 pupies to give her “dog” company! We were a 3 dog family once again….for a while! memtb

We had one Parson Russell Terrier and then thought it would be a good idea to get him a buddy so we brought home another Parson. 7 years later we inherited the Mastiff. They all don't have much gas in the tank. It will be a very very rough time for me.

It truly is.

Saying good-buy to my buddy Ranger at the vet.

Sad day indeed
It has been said that “I wonder if it is worth the pain to have a dog only to see them pass away”? To this I say “yes indeed”! They give to us so much. Companionship, friendship, love, hunt partners, family members, protectors et al. The pain of having to put down a good, long friend pup is enormous. PAINFUL. MTG
It's been said that the sadness you feel when they pass is the payment you make for all they teach us.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Sad day indeed. I always have wished my old dogs would just go in peace while they slept, but never did it happen that way. I always had to make that hard choice of "when", and it just sucks.
Deepest condolences. I've traveled that road and it's heartbreaking.
We just had to have our 15y/o Cocker Spaniel put down last Saturday after oral cancer QUICKLY spread to his brain and made him blind in one eye and immobile, so I feel exactly where you are coming from!
I HATE these threads.

I’m sorry buddy, I don’t have the words but you guys are in my prayers.
My sincere condolences from a resident dog guy.
I'm sorry.

It's never easy.

Lost two in the last month, and a third has a blown ACL with a poor prognosis. That means we'll be down to one dog from five just a few years ago.

Can't even comprehend, and my schedule will be all topsy turvy for the next few years, not at all appropriate for training a pup. It's going to be weird.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm sorry.

It's never easy.

Lost two in the last month, and a third has a blown ACL with a poor prognosis. That means we'll be down to one dog from five just a few years ago.

Can't even comprehend, and my schedule will be all topsy turvy for the next few years, not at all appropriate for training a pup. It's going to be weird.

Damn, sorry to hear that, that's way too many dogs. Vet repaired the ACL on my mastiff in February, dog went thru a lot but he was walking better. He won't last long .
BTDT a number of times, dogs and horses.

Never not hard.
Sorry to hear about little Kappa KB. Its tough. I had put two down in the last two years. The last good bye always brings a tear to my eye. But thank God we don't have to let them linger in pain and suffer like we do with some of our elderly loved ones.
Sorry for your loss! Dogs are definitely a gift from God!
No stronger bond than man & dog. Been that way for centuries. Canine prayers sent.
Condolences KB. Sounds like you know you did the right thing for your buddy, even though it hurts like hell.

Like Renegade50 said - BTDT and too many times. Totally understand your pain.
Sorry to hear about your dog.
Loosing a dog it tuff stuff. All mine are long gone. -sniff-

Dogs Rule!

You'd think being a dog lover, I'd know just what to say. There really are no words. Our dogs are family. They are with us for far too few years. Daily they deliver us joy. They teach us. They teach us to be better people, to live in and to treasure the moment and to love unconditionally. When they cross the rainbow bridge it leaves a hole in our hearts.

Dogs Rule!

Dang. Allergies. God bless you.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Fortunately, Kappa had a good long doggie life in a loving home, but it seems it is never long enough. It’s painfully sad to see them pass on. Sorry for your loss.
Killer,

Our deepest sympathies to you and your family. Size has nothing to do with the amount of your heart the little buggers occupy nor the pain they cause when they leave us. Peace and God’s blessings!
I wasn't even going to make a post.
I've been hurting for the last 2 weeks.

I lost the best dog of my entire lifetime 2 weeks ago.

Just freaking devastating.

Had her for 13 years.

God, how I feel your pain...💔

Condolences brother.

My Sweet Annie...

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
About the love of a dog.

Twilight Zone: The Hunt
Enjoyed, thanks Hawkeye.
So sorry for your loss.

Good boy, Kappa. Good boy...
Sorry you had to lose the little guy. BTDT. He will live in your memory as long as you do. Best
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Had her for 13 years.

Condolences brother.

My Sweet Annie...

Sorry to hear of this. Sal.
KillerBee: I feel your pain and hope the good memories helps diminish that pain for you.
Been there done that.
I am sure Kappa is in Dog Heaven and is thanking you for all your love and kindnesses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sorry to hear of your little guy.
15 years is a good run,but that just makes it harder
We give them a little piece of our lives ,but they give us all of theirs.
BTDT, KillerBee. Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Had her for 13 years.

Condolences brother.

My Sweet Annie...

Sorry for the loss of your beautiful Annie girl.
This has always helped me.
Sorry for your loss I know it all to well.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Dogs Rule!

Oh my gracious.
🙏🙏🙏
My son lost his dog about a month ago. She was 14 1/2. He said that every time you get a dog it's the beginning of just another tragedy because the dog is going to go long before you will. He has 2 kids and they were attached to that dog. My son had the dog before he had the kids. The kids have only known 2 dogs in their entire life. The other one passed about 3 years ago.

kwg
Never not painful - the only true cost of partnering with a dog.

We are on our last partnerships, I think. Not fair to leave the canines behind, or not properly exercise them as they need.
I am sorry for your loss.
Not a easy thing to go through, been there. My heart goes out to you and your family and prayers sent for your little buddy.
Sorry to hear about your pup. We had a 4 yr old Springer that the family absolutely adored. Got a call on vacation that she seemed ill. 2 days later we were told she was riddled with cancer and would not make the weekend. Kids were devastated. Like others, she was to be our last dog and we would ease into retirement unbound by pets. 2 months later both my wife and I fond ourselves searching for another dog and are now moving fromm no more to maybe spring.
Originally Posted by BamBam
Not a easy thing to go through, been there. My heart goes out to you and your family and prayers sent for your little buddy.

Yes.

Praying for you and the dead dog.
I have read every comment and for a tough guy that has bow-hunted bears, moose, and elk alone in the wilderness, it took a few Kleenexes to get through.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond and to say a prayer for my little friend Kappa, who is no doubt right now playing with all my other dogs at Rainbow Bridge. All playing and chasing Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, Chukars, Quail, and Huns together. The poor little guy is going to have a tough time keeping up with my English Setters and German Shorthaired Pointer with his short little legs! lol

Great Poem, thanks for sharing it granitestate1, I have never seen it before. I emailed it to my better ½ as soon as I read it, hope it eases her pain.

I have a long-held belief that people who hunt and fish are the real salt of the earth type and are also the best people you will ever meet or know.

Your considerate, kind, and thoughtful responses to my thread, were so much more than I ever expected and only confirmed and deepened my lifelong belief.

I have said a prayer for the other beloved dogs lost by members in this thread. All of them happily playing at Rainbow Bridge and eagerly waiting to see us again in the distant future.

24-Hour Campfire Members are the best and may God Bless every one of you.

“Tis Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Thank you kindly to all ~ KB
I have read every comment and for a tough guy that has bow-hunted bears, moose, and elk alone in the wilderness, it took a few Kleenexes to get through.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond and to say a prayer for my little friend Kappa, who is no doubt right now playing with all my other dogs at Rainbow Bridge. All playing and chasing Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, Chukars, Quail, and Huns together. The poor little guy is going to have a tough time keeping up with my English Setters and German Shorthaired Pointer with his short little legs! lol

Great Poem, thanks for sharing it granitestate1, I have never seen it before. I emailed it to my better ½ as soon as I read it, hope it eases her pain.

I have a long-held belief that people who hunt and fish are the real salt of the earth type and are also the best people you will ever meet or know.

Your considerate, kind, and thoughtful responses to my thread, were so much more than I ever expected and only confirmed and deepened my lifelong belief.

I have said a prayer for the other beloved dogs lost by members in this thread. All of them happily playing at Rainbow Bridge and eagerly waiting to see us again in the distant future.

“Tis Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Watch that Twilight Zone episode I linked to. One of my favorites. Can't watch it with a dry eye, if you're a dog lover.
If heaven is anything like I imagine it, it will be absolutely full of good dogs that have gone on before us.

Watch that Twilight Zone episode I linked to. One of my favorites. Can't watch it with a dry eye, if you're a dog lover.

Hi The_Real_Hawkeye, I completely plan on watching it today after work and after a few beverages, I grew up watching Twilight Zone one of my favorites, was the one with the big game hunter that ended up on the wall of his trophy room lol.

Cheers
[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
Originally Posted by Morewood
LOL. Yep.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Yep, that would be perfect!
Sure Sucks, shame that don't live longer.

Have been there.

Thanks The_Real_Hawkeye,

"I was born with a cheap set of ears" I will have to use that sometime lol

Just watched it, I would not have gone in either, it isn't heaven, unless your hunting dogs can get in too, that's a fact!

Cheers
Really sorry for you.

Prayer going up.

You’ll see him again.

Best dog I ever had is one I have presently. A little Shih Tsu / Poodle mix.

I dread The Day….
After putting Beamer to sleep after his getting hit by a car my grandson, in tears, asked me if dogs go to heaven. I told him that since God made them and they lived a more honorable life than most people, yes.
Sorry for your loss. All of us who have loved and lost a dear pet understands how you're feeling.

Dogs Rule!

There isn't a much harder thing in life to do. A dog going on to the next level that laid against your leg while you watched TV for many years. Slept on the bed. Got two that are medium sized dogs around 14 years of age. May soon have to do the same. Hate it but it has to be done.
Originally Posted by pyscodog
All dogs go to heaven.

AMEN

Sorry for your loss, have two that are starting to get up there in years and it's awfully tough seeming them age.
Sorry to hear, KB. Hard decision to make, but necessary to honor a good dog's life and companionship.

I've lived in a home with a dog for nearly 72 years and can't fathom living without at least one. Our current pack is down to 3. 18 months ago we had 6. Some have been crazy, some cuddly, some great bird dogs . . . but all have been our companions and I miss them all.

I feel for your loss. Good dog Kappa, good dog.
Thanks for your condolences Otter, much appreciated.

You are right about every dog having their own personality and some are smarter than others as well.

Growing up we had a kennel in the back yard and we always had 4 bird dogs in it, 3 English Setters, and a Germain Shorthaired Pointer named Peggy. She was my best friend and the smartest dog we ever owned.

She was so smart she was the only dog we had that figured out how to escape from our kennel which was a 7' high Chain Link Fence. We could not figure out how she was getting out, and she would always escape on Thursdays.

One day all of the dogs were barking in the backyard and I went out to look at what was going on, Peggy was escaping again and the other three dogs were so pissed off they could not escape, they were telling us that so was doing it again and to stop her lol.

How she escaped: She vertically scaled the fence straight up 7', by simply walking up the fence using her toes (must have been painful) then balancing on all 4 paws on the top tube then jumping 7' to the ground and away she would go for the day until we found her, when she was doing her balancing act on the tube, I yelled Peggggggyyyyy!!!!!, with a surprised look on her face she leaped and run off, the landing wasn't pretty! lol She was one of them bolting-type dogs lol.

I discovered why she was escaping on Thursday. It was garbage day and she would go to the local Kentucky Fried Chicken and raid their garbage and come home later in the day with a belly that looked like it was about to explode. lol

Not only was she the only Harry Houdini dog we ever had, she was also a Field Trial Champion by winning our Province's biggest Field Trial one year.

She was by far my best friend growing up, hunting and having fun together for many years. Every boy needs a dog growing up!

Thanks again for your condolences, greatly appreciated.

God Bless
Brother Bee,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your little buddy..... frown
Thanks, Brother irfubar, appreciated!

Have a great Labor Day long weekend cool

God bless.

Jesus Fugking Christ.
Originally Posted by pyscodog
All dogs go to heaven.

Now that is tragedy.
Deflave is bad to the bone.
KB, sorry for your loss. I had to put my 17yr old Cocker/Springer down some years back. She took her last breath while in my arms. I cried like a baby. As I type this, I have to wipe a few tears away (even after all these years). They leave a huge hole in your heart when they go. We now have a 4yr old and a 1 1/2yr old Springers.
Sorry for your loss.
© 24hourcampfire