Home
Posted By: Buckman CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
So whats the best choice? Have a cheap weapon to potentially lose to law enforcement or a expensive better made maybe more accurate weapon to lose to law enforcement? Need a new carry weapon, trying to make a proper decision. Thanks
What value do you place on your life?
Posted By: Knarley_Bob Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
I would opt for a good one that WORKS every time.................worry about "loosing it" later
The intent of my CCW weapon is to protect my family and myself. I want the best and most reliable firearm available that works for me.
What "good" is a Saturday Night Special to defend you and your family if needed....
Posted By: justin10mm Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Don't carry anything that you can't afford two of.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Buy a Glock, cheap, reliable and easily replaced if popo takes it.
Originally Posted by Knarley_Bob
I would opt for a good one that WORKS every time.................worry about "loosing it" later
Right. Something reliable, effective, that you shoot well, but leave the family heirlooms and fancy engraved pieces, collectables, etc., at home.

Fortunately, Glocks fit the bill perfectly, so get a Glock 26, a good gun belt, a good IWB holster for 4:00 carry, and be done with it.
Posted By: Dutch Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Are you going to consider a cheap lawyer, too, when (God forbid) you have to use your CCW?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by Swifty52
If popo takes it, there's a good chance that they'll make it impossible for you to buy another one, at least for the time being. It might be a good idea to have an extra on hand.
Posted By: plumbum Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Like the old Bell ad for helmets. If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.
Posted By: RHClark Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23

Definitely this rather than an expensive custom of family heirloom.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
I'm more concerned about why you are concerned about having it confiscated?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by 78CJ

1. If you have to shoot someone, they are going to take it for evidence and that’s fact. Whether you ever get it back is another question
Posted By: Buckman Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
By cheap i'm talking 400-500 bucks by expensive i'm talking 1,200 bucks.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by Dutch
Are you going to consider a cheap lawyer, too, when (God forbid) you have to use your CCW?

Not me, I'm PMing Remsen for a recommendation for one of his (((tribe))).
Posted By: Stickfight Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
[Linked Image from provenoutfitters.com]
Posted By: plumbum Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23

1. If you have to shoot someone, they are going to take it for evidence and that’s fact. Whether you ever get it back is another question

Trials and appeals can take decades.
The criteria isn't cheap or expensive.

The criteria is reliable, shootable, concealable, and adequate power.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get those qualities, but you could if you want to.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dutch

Not me, I'm PMing Remsen for a recommendation for one of his (((tribe))).

Posted By: Valsdad Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Exactly
Posted By: reivertom Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
If money is the reason for the question, I'd look at the Taurus G3C. I bought one for a knock around gun when going fishing, etc., and it works great. Don't listen to all the Taurus haters, they have stepped up their game in the last decade. The G3C is compact enough, but still shoots well. It also comes with 3 mags, and usually can be found for under 300 bucks.
Posted By: roverboy Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Nothing at all wrong with a Taurus.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by roverboy

You'll get different opinions on that thought
Why not have both?

Number one will surprise you:

Posted By: Garandimal Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by Buckman
So whats the best choice? Have a cheap weapon to potentially lose to law enforcement or a expensive better made maybe more accurate weapon to lose to law enforcement? Need a new carry weapon, trying to make a proper decision. Thanks

Get a Glock, and then another one just like it.

In case the first one ends up in an evidence locker for a coupla years.

GR
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/08/23
Whatever you shoot best.
This is the golden age of reliable, easy to shoot, low maintenance, high capacity pistols that are ALSO cheap. There’s no reason to not have a first rate CCW that in a worst case scenario is also a throwaway gun for $500-$600.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Like optics, buy the best you can afford...you won't regret it.

I have 6 different rigs I carry, if they take one I'll just carry another.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23

I'd say that pretty much answers the question. I can't imagine purposely choosing a piece of crap to carry around wondering if it will operate if God forbid I need it. I want the best I can afford plus some.....
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

This. Or a PSA Dagger which is a Glock Clone built after the Glock Patent expired, for a lot less dough and uses Glock Magazines. the Value choice.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If popo takes it, there's a good chance that they'll make it impossible for you to buy another one, at least for the time being. It might be a good idea to have an extra on hand.

When possible I like to have a couple each of my favorite carry lead dispensers

You know...just in case...
Posted By: cra1948 Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
A 500-700 dollar Glock or similar. If you can't afford to lose a gun of that value in defense of your life or your families well-being you're doing something wrong.

I'm amazed at people who think a $2000 rifle or a $4000 shotgun is a crazy expensive item, but they have no problem spending much more than that on things like large screen tv's, snowmobiles, wet bikes and other toys.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The criteria isn't cheap or expensive.

The criteria is reliable, shootable, concealable, and adequate power.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get those qualities, but you could if you want to.
That's it in a nutshell, I've carried some nice pieces my last before the present was a m60 s&w DAO. just 5 shots and the need for a reload. Things and circumstances have changed for the worse you might need.more than 5. I bought an EC-9s Ruger. Worked fine out of the box and still does 249.95 shoots good enough to take care of business you can do with a concealed handgun. You might get shot by a cop carrying a M4 and 30 rd mag in it. Do what you like cost is not the criteria, reliability is.
Mb
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
One need not spend a years salary on a good CCW. A Ruger Security Nine, a Glock 19 a Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, etc can all be had for $300-600 new or maybe slightly used.

When it comes to self defense only you can decide what your life is worth and what lengths that you’re comfortable going to to protect it. I’ve carried a CCW 365 days a year since I was 21 except for the times I was out of the country or traveling. In that time I’ve carried a “secondary” pocket pistol…either the KelTec P3AT (380) or the Ruger LCP or the Sig Sauer 238. My pocket pistol is ALWAYS in my pocket while my “primary” CCW is either in a holster on my side or it’s locked in the center console or the truck or on the dashboard of the boat. I subscribe to the school of thought that the little pistol that I have on me is much better when the SHTF than anything that I have in my truck 50 yards away….which is exactly how it would go for me since Murphy is always ready for me. 😂

I also have developed some opinions about CCW over the years that are informed by my years in the gun industry. I’ve seen a lot of guys that had more money than sense and they thought that the more money you spent on the gun translated into less time required for practice. I can’t count the number of Kimber 1911’s that we sold (we were a Kimber master dealer) to guys that at 50 years old finally got their CCW and were now in the market for a carry gun. They were pretty much all experts in firearms since they had served 3 years in the Air Force or Navy 30 years prior. They’d spend $1,500-$2,000 on a beautiful Kimber and within a week or two they were back. Usually because they found out for themselves that what I’d told them to expect with hollow points had come true so back to Kimber for the polishing of the feed ramp so they’d feed HP’s without stovepiping. Then a couple weeks after they got it back from Kimber they’d be back saying that it sometimes doesn’t eject fully and then jams. I’d explain the dynamics of the physics involved in the slide coming back and how “limp-wristing” the gun will cause the problems they’re describing. I’d take the same ammo as they had (usually) and I’d go in the back of my shop and fire a magazine full into our shooting barrel. I’d then take it out front to the customer, who usually said something like…”it doesn’t run like that for me”. Or, “I thought I was holding it tight enough but maybe not” sometimes I’d get the guy whose ego was stronger than his grip on his pistol and he’d claim I just got lucky or he had a “bad batch of ammo”. I’d load up the magazine in front of the customer with various FMJ, HP’s and miscellaneous ammo and then go rattle off another mag full without issue. The other problem that the “ex-spurts” had with their new high dollar CCW was the tight tolerances that gave exceptional accuracy also gave little latitude to dirt, carbon and lint. A very accurate and tight pistol is NOT ideal in less than perfect conditions and a carry gun is ALWAYS used in less than ideal conditions. There’s a reason why the AK-47 has the reputation of working even when it’s dirty, muddy and trashed…it isn’t “tight” but it works when needed and provides acceptable accuracy for its intended targets.

If I want a pistol for self-defense and daily carry MY choice is a high capacity, not exceptionally tight, modern combat designed pistol like a Glock, Sig, HK, Smith, Ruger or even Taurus…..not a 1911 (my opinion only)

If I want a pistol to shoot matches or for exceptional accuracy (for a pistol) my choices then might include one of the beautiful 1911’s on the market today. Everything about the nicer 1911’s is to like. They have the BEST triggers of all the semi automatic handguns, they “fit” pretty much everyone’s hands, they are comfortable to shoot and the accuracy they’re capable of is addicting…..but none of those are requirements for a defensive handgun.imo. I don’t want a light 2 pound trigger on my combat handgun and I don’t need 1 hole accuracy…
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
What's cheap or expensive?

I'm in the $400-700 range for CCW.
There certainly are some $100 cheaper that are viable.
Whatever, my range puts one in the realm of very good, serviceable weapons.
More mostly buys bling.

The concern of losing it never enters my head.
Seriously, my life, or the life of another innocent near me was seriously at risk,
I just tried to stop (kill) a person!

Yeah, IRDGAF about a few hundred dollars worth of gun.

I'm way more concerned with getting a good one on the purchase end.
Posted By: dpd Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
If your concerned about money buy a High Pert !
Posted By: supercrewd Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
2 PSA Daggers for $500 total…. On sale this week.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Why not have both?

Price is a surprise. But I’ve never not liked CZs

I’ll have to wait a few more years though. Not on the handgun roster, then there’s the CA firearms excise tax…
Have a reliable weapon that you can hit with. Worry about loosing it after you’ve survived.
Posted By: ldholton Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
If one watches you can catch good stuff cheap sometimes. like a while back smith Shields were ran one sale like $300 or less and my experience with them they have been perfectly reliable and plenty accurate..
Posted By: 78CJ Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by plumbum

You guys must shoot a lot of people.....
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Why not have both?

Price is a surprise. But I’ve never not liked CZs

I’ll have to wait a few more years though. Not on the handgun roster, then there’s the CA firearms excise tax…

I saw the CZ P10c at Scheels in Colorado Springs for $329. I figured it was a misprint, but nope, that was the correct price.

That's a lot of gun for not very much money.

We are Raylan Givens.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23

Haha, here’s some sage advice. If you carry it then you must be prepared to use it, if you are prepared to use it when the need arises then you better be prepared to lose it when you do.

^^^This^^^
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

Hard to beat.
Posted By: okie Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
CCW SSS
Posted By: hookeye Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Buy two decent rigs.

Hell you should have a backup no matter what.
Posted By: roverboy Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by roverboy

You'll get different opinions on that thought

Well yeah, I don't give a fuque. Let's hear them.
Posted By: goalie Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
Your asking the wrong question.

The ones that matter are:

1. Do I shoot it well, especially fast?
2. Is it reliable with the ammo I'll carry in it?
Originally Posted by goalie
Your asking the wrong question.

The ones that matter are:

1. Do I shoot it well, especially fast?
2. Is it reliable with the ammo I'll carry in it?
I think what he's essentially asking is: "Once I've identified several handguns in my collection (and/or in the case at the gun store) that pass those two tests, should I avoid carrying the most expensive (preferring instead the least expensive) due to concerns over it's being held as evidence for who knows how many years, and under unknown conditions (e.g., damp locker room in the basement, and/or roughly handled by whomever is assigned the task), if I should ever need to use it?"

My answer is: If you had a finely crafted custom and engraved family heirloom that passes those two tests (or were considering buying a custom along the same lines for carry), you are likely wiser to instead choose a Glock to carry that also passes those two tests even if you have to go out and buy yourself one.

Although I will admit to having carried an Ed Brown Kobra Carry for years, which is a fairly expensive semi-custom, even if not covered in engraved nickel, etc., nor a family heirloom.
Posted By: drover Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/09/23
The $500 extra or so that you spend on the more expensive pistol will pale in comparison on what you will pay a lawyer to defend your shooting someone, even if it is in self-defense.

Go ahead and pony up the money for something reliable, the few extra dollars won't matter much if you are injured because the cheap pistol didn't work.

drover
Posted By: 78CJ Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/10/23

Haha, here’s some sage advice. If you carry it then you must be prepared to use it, if you are prepared to use it when the need arises then you better be prepared to lose it when you do.

If I had to shoot to defend myself the last thing I am going to GAF about is what happened to my gun, YMMV I guess......This isn't the WW West. Don't get me wrong, I wish it was but it isn't.

There's a lot of pretend wishing around here with no regard for reality.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/10/23
Polymer frame autoloading pistols can be rolled out of a factory like shelling peas. Pretty much everybody making them has figured out the formula. I bought a Ruger Security 9 new for $300 and it included two magazines. It does what a 9mm autoloading pistol is supposed to do. I paid a bit more for a Glock 43. It's much more compact and also does what a 9mm autoloading pistol is supposed to do.

My opinion, there's lots of polymer framed 9mm pistols out there that do what they're supposed to do for about $400. You can pay a lot more and not be armed any better.

But if something catches your eye and it costs big bucks, there's nothing wrong with buying it just because you like it.

I recently paid $760 for a 1960s S&W Model 10 just because I liked it. But if the wolf ever shows up at my door I'll grab the $300 Ruger Security 9.

Some guns are tools. Some are just pretty things to admire.

I like both types for different reasons.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/10/23
Always have a backup. One is none Two is one.

No. Just a bunch of cheap bastards.
Posted By: Buckman Re: CCW Cheap or expensive - 09/11/23
REAL HAWKEYE, pretty much nailed the intent of my question. i don't have a lot of money, so must spend it wisely. will need a quality
holster also, it adds up quick. thanks to all for the responses.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Polymer frame autoloading pistols can be rolled out of a factory like shelling peas. Pretty much everybody making them has figured out the formula. I bought a Ruger Security 9 new for $300 and it included two magazines. It does what a 9mm autoloading pistol is supposed to do. I paid a bit more for a Glock 43. It's much more compact and also does what a 9mm autoloading pistol is supposed to do.

My opinion, there's lots of polymer framed 9mm pistols out there that do what they're supposed to do for about $400. You can pay a lot more and not be armed any better.

But if something catches your eye and it costs big bucks, there's nothing wrong with buying it just because you like it.

I recently paid $760 for a 1960s S&W Model 10 just because I liked it. But if the wolf ever shows up at my door I'll grab the $300 Ruger Security 9.

Some guns are tools. Some are just pretty things to admire.

I like both types for different reasons.
Exactly.
© 24hourcampfire