Home
Posted By: IZH27 Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve watched several videos where wetlands/streams are being restored in places like Nevada and Idaho. It seems that the same is happening in Europe.

It’s pretty amazing to see how much water is retained even during droughts. I would thing that the carryover to game, bird and mammal, would pretty impressive for overall health and numbers.

While the beaver is a hated animal by many they seem to have a tremendous benefit when controlled.

Have any of you guys seen the direct results or been involved in any of these projects?
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
The few beaver I've had interaction with in
this region were destructive pests that dug
and undercut the banks and dams on
stock tanks and small lakes
and destroyed valuable trees. They're more
or less like feral hogs and coyotes and other
furry varmints that get trapped or shot or
trapped and shot.

Unfortunately most all fur in this part of
the world is next to worthless so most
every pest goes in the boneyard at the
back fence, or used for baiting other pests
They create great wetlands for ducks around home.
They've really changed an area I've hunted for over 30 years in southern Idaho. They've changed the way we have to get around because some roads are now under water.

Bb
Posted By: okie Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Beaver in the process of ruining a dam across the fence of a neighbor a good bit backs up on us. Talked with him and offered to help with the problem offering access to bring equipment in from our side t ease repairing it. We’ve been able to keep a handle on this for nearly 40 years but it now requires a good trackhoe to repair. He hasn’t even went to look at it and says it needs nothing. Next heavy rain with significant runoff it will wash completely out.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
They've really changed an area I've hunted for over 30 years in southern Idaho. They've changed the way we have to get around because some roads are now under water.

Bb
Are the game animals happier now?
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
They will do a number on a cornfield. One slough I used to hunt had a lodge in it. The beavers made roads into the corn and dragged the stalks into the water. Slough dried up a few years ago so I guess that problem is solved.
Beaver pond is the best thing to keep wood ducks happy and duck hunters
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Brook trout love beaver ponds too
Posted By: BMT Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
In some desert/drought prone areas, beaver can be beneficial.

Here is western Oregon, they make everything even more wet.

Game warden tells me they make excellent mountain lion bait. But it’s a felony if I do it, so I won’t test that theory.

BMT
Posted By: 673 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Around here the Beaver is the foundation for many creatures, many of them fur bearing, the others are just good eating.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
We have nuisance wildlife permits to shoot the bastards and tear out dams. Way too many dam beavers in our area. Lots of lost timberland from the flooding.
Posted By: sako4me Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
I have 2 beaver Dams on my property. They are more than welcome there. They have changed the habitat for the better. 3 lodges and tons of wildlife inhabit the area. Huge bonus in my book. While they do munch on some trees that’s the trade off I can deal with. All kinds of aquatic life, fish, ducks, otters, eagles and osprey, mink, fishers, deer and turkeys, etc…
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Originally Posted by 673
Around here the Beaver is the foundation for many creatures, many of them fur bearing, the others are just good eating.

A good beaver is delicious.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Stupid beavers changing the hydrology and screwing up the drainage which floods strip mall parking lots and impedes traffic flow into and out of the Walmarts…. Don’t those beavers, as dumb as they are, know that if they mess with the “natural runoff” from our pavement, concrete and steel then we can’t control the excess water.

If the beavers insist on continuing to mess with us and mess with our ability to control Mother Nature in a way that WE see fit and best then I’d suggest confronting them politely. They ain’t called Castor Canadensis for nothing….the “Canad” part of Canadensis stands for Canada because the North American beaver was extremely polite and helpful to the settlers and pioneers of the New World just like Canadians were. 😂
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by 673

A good beaver is delicious.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
And they's all good, some'r jus good'r n others?
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Stupid beavers changing the hydrology and screwing up the drainage which floods strip mall parking lots and impedes traffic flow into and out of the Walmarts…. Don’t those beavers, as dumb as they are, know that if they mess with the “natural runoff” from our pavement, concrete and steel then we can’t control the excess water.

If the beavers insist on continuing to mess with us and mess with our ability to control Mother Nature in a way that WE see fit and best then I’d suggest confronting them politely. They ain’t called Castor Canadensis for nothing….the “Canad” part of Canadensis stands for Canada because the North American beaver was extremely polite and helpful to the settlers and pioneers of the New World just like Canadians were. 😂
Good to see your sense of humor is intact tonight!
Like most things -they do good in places.
But are also bad in places.
Control is imperative.
Depends on how tall they build their dam. I've seen two dams taller than me that severely impacted downstream wetlands (hunting grounds) and needed to be removed. But for the most part out here, unless you are a farmer, they're pretty useful.
Beaver make a constant job for me we have a river go threw the north part of our land....i usually shoot around 10 the limit my DNR permit allows trap around another 20 during trapping season every year no idea how many end up wolf food its not enough....its like a plague !

I couldn't even imagine how bad they would be if I couldn't shoot them all summer !
Posted By: Dutch Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
The bastards are good a damming up culverts and pipes which in my business, causes strong negative feelings towards them.......
The impact of the beaver (let it rest guys) in coastal drainages depends mostly on which college the millenial got his/her/they got their bio degree from. Blue State degree holders tend to go with a cuddly industrious creature that we give eternal thanks to, for forming our river valleys, keeping silt from salmon spawning streams in the PNW. Beave can do no wrong. Farmer John, who actually produces something beneficial to society, finds Beave to be a nuisance. Take your pick.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
They dammed a small creek and flooded probably 50 acres of bottom land and pine plantation along with one of our prime stands with three really nice fields. 2 1/2 - 3 of water blocked our access. We hired a trapper to remove them and we’ll probably have to do it again in a few years.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
I have watched them my whole life here on Ranch, when I was a kid the creek was solid white sand, what would run foot deep in big storms,as time went by it stopped raining like 50’s and 60’s grass moved in and streams got foot or two wide. Beaver’s moved in in 70’s and started building dams, ponds started filling up , perch, bass and cats were caught on every cast, ducks were on every pond, river grass are in every bottom now for cattle to eat in drought summers when no body else has any grass. I used to try and control numbers but when I did it seemed to hurt the water flow. The place is a paradise with all the deer , turkeys, duck, quail, I don’t think, I know what good Beavers do for cattle and wildlife.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/24/23
Interesting posts. I appreciate you guys sharing your experiences.

I've never owned land where beaver were residents. However, I grew up with a prejudice toward them. After seeing some of the natural restoration that they can provide with minimal $ input compared to human attempts at restoration I'm impressed with what they can contribute.
No doubt there can be an overpopulation and too many dams for some areas or situations. it would seem like a balance could be struck in those situations?

One rancher, I think in Idaho, was raised to hate them. Somewhere along the way he started his own attempts to reintroduce them as the stream on his ranch dwindled to about nothing. He eventually got in touch with wildlife biologist and other professionals who were able to help him get things dialed in.

Along with dam introduction they fenced cattle off the stream and provided irrigation tanks. He began a grazing rotation that involved intense grazing on small areas for short periods of time. Based on his experience his pastures were healthier, he had abundant wildlife and his cattle ended up putting on more weight than in previous years.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The impact of the beaver (let it rest guys) in coastal drainages depends mostly on which college the millenial got his/her/they got their bio degree from. Blue State degree holders tend to go with a cuddly industrious creature that we give eternal thanks to, for forming our river valleys, keeping silt from salmon spawning streams in the PNW. Beave can do no wrong. Farmer John, who actually produces something beneficial to society, finds Beave to be a nuisance. Take your pick.

That depends entirely on which coast you are referring to, but I agree with most of your post regardless. Harmful for farms, great for hunting lands unless the fans are huge.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb
Are the game animals happier now?
Idaho's unit 54 has a lot of beaver ponds and the moose population is booming. It's the only unit in the state with enough moose for a cow season.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Beaver dams/wetland resto - 09/25/23
About 20 years ago we had a colony of beavers build some dams on our property. They only took out the crap trees to build with so I didn't mind at all they were there. Unfortunately, I think someone trapped or shot them out and they have not returned. I'd take them back in a minute.

kwg

Edit:
I have no bio degree. I just know a good thing when I see it.

kwg
I've been personally studying the Canadian Beaver for 40 years or so. Trapped them extensively when younger. I think you need to wade your way through 10 negatives to find a positive. In wilderness areas I think the numbers is more favorable for the Beaver. Around arable land they're pretty much all negative. They can create great habitat for other wildlife. Coyotes are hard on beavers especially when they're runs get further from water.

I'm not a wildlife biologist either.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
© 24hourcampfire