Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve watched several videos where wetlands/streams are being restored in places like Nevada and Idaho. It seems that the same is happening in Europe.

It’s pretty amazing to see how much water is retained even during droughts. I would thing that the carryover to game, bird and mammal, would pretty impressive for overall health and numbers.

While the beaver is a hated animal by many they seem to have a tremendous benefit when controlled.

Have any of you guys seen the direct results or been involved in any of these projects?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The few beaver I've had interaction with in
this region were destructive pests that dug
and undercut the banks and dams on
stock tanks and small lakes
and destroyed valuable trees. They're more
or less like feral hogs and coyotes and other
furry varmints that get trapped or shot or
trapped and shot.

Unfortunately most all fur in this part of
the world is next to worthless so most
every pest goes in the boneyard at the
back fence, or used for baiting other pests

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They create great wetlands for ducks around home.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They've really changed an area I've hunted for over 30 years in southern Idaho. They've changed the way we have to get around because some roads are now under water.

Bb

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Beaver in the process of ruining a dam across the fence of a neighbor a good bit backs up on us. Talked with him and offered to help with the problem offering access to bring equipment in from our side t ease repairing it. We’ve been able to keep a handle on this for nearly 40 years but it now requires a good trackhoe to repair. He hasn’t even went to look at it and says it needs nothing. Next heavy rain with significant runoff it will wash completely out.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
They've really changed an area I've hunted for over 30 years in southern Idaho. They've changed the way we have to get around because some roads are now under water.

Bb
Are the game animals happier now?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will do a number on a cornfield. One slough I used to hunt had a lodge in it. The beavers made roads into the corn and dragged the stalks into the water. Slough dried up a few years ago so I guess that problem is solved.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beaver pond is the best thing to keep wood ducks happy and duck hunters

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brook trout love beaver ponds too

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In some desert/drought prone areas, beaver can be beneficial.

Here is western Oregon, they make everything even more wet.

Game warden tells me they make excellent mountain lion bait. But it’s a felony if I do it, so I won’t test that theory.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 09/23/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here the Beaver is the foundation for many creatures, many of them fur bearing, the others are just good eating.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have nuisance wildlife permits to shoot the bastards and tear out dams. Way too many dam beavers in our area. Lots of lost timberland from the flooding.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 2 beaver Dams on my property. They are more than welcome there. They have changed the habitat for the better. 3 lodges and tons of wildlife inhabit the area. Huge bonus in my book. While they do munch on some trees that’s the trade off I can deal with. All kinds of aquatic life, fish, ducks, otters, eagles and osprey, mink, fishers, deer and turkeys, etc…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Around here the Beaver is the foundation for many creatures, many of them fur bearing, the others are just good eating.

A good beaver is delicious.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Stupid beavers changing the hydrology and screwing up the drainage which floods strip mall parking lots and impedes traffic flow into and out of the Walmarts…. Don’t those beavers, as dumb as they are, know that if they mess with the “natural runoff” from our pavement, concrete and steel then we can’t control the excess water.

If the beavers insist on continuing to mess with us and mess with our ability to control Mother Nature in a way that WE see fit and best then I’d suggest confronting them politely. They ain’t called Castor Canadensis for nothing….the “Canad” part of Canadensis stands for Canada because the North American beaver was extremely polite and helpful to the settlers and pioneers of the New World just like Canadians were. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by 673

A good beaver is delicious.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
And they's all good, some'r jus good'r n others?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Stupid beavers changing the hydrology and screwing up the drainage which floods strip mall parking lots and impedes traffic flow into and out of the Walmarts…. Don’t those beavers, as dumb as they are, know that if they mess with the “natural runoff” from our pavement, concrete and steel then we can’t control the excess water.

If the beavers insist on continuing to mess with us and mess with our ability to control Mother Nature in a way that WE see fit and best then I’d suggest confronting them politely. They ain’t called Castor Canadensis for nothing….the “Canad” part of Canadensis stands for Canada because the North American beaver was extremely polite and helpful to the settlers and pioneers of the New World just like Canadians were. 😂
Good to see your sense of humor is intact tonight!

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Like most things -they do good in places.
But are also bad in places.
Control is imperative.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Depends on how tall they build their dam. I've seen two dams taller than me that severely impacted downstream wetlands (hunting grounds) and needed to be removed. But for the most part out here, unless you are a farmer, they're pretty useful.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Beaver make a constant job for me we have a river go threw the north part of our land....i usually shoot around 10 the limit my DNR permit allows trap around another 20 during trapping season every year no idea how many end up wolf food its not enough....its like a plague !

I couldn't even imagine how bad they would be if I couldn't shoot them all summer !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257 mag, badwolf, benchman, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.