Home
Posted By: Jim1611 Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I've got a 2017 Dodge Ram Quad cab and want to carry a long gun in it. In the past I have used the racks that attached through the headliner but the way this looks that won't work. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jim
Posted By: Osky Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
On the ranch there is a Polaris 6 wheeled side by side with a very slick double gun rack attached to the cab ceiling. Maybe look in that direction to see if one of those types can be made to work in your truck?

Osky
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I carry a rifle in my pickup all the time. Mostly I'm by myself, so it's barrel down on the passenger floorboard with the buttstock near the console, resting on the passenger seat.

If I have a dog riding with me, or person, I put the buttstock on the back seat with the barrel along the console of the driver side. Quick access either way. Throw a towel over it to cover it when I go inside a store. But then again, I don't advertise I have a gun in the pickup by installing an obvious gun rack.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
You want it for immediate usage or a long as a precaution? So where do you want the rifle to sit?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I checked on a rack for my '08 Dodge quad cab. They make an overhead rack but it's stupid expensive - over $200.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I checked on a rack for my '08 Dodge quad cab. They make an overhead rack but it's stupid expensive - over $200.
Also, 7-8# above your head, what could go wrong?
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
You can make these easy enough out of some steel bar... or you can buy them on Walmart.com or Temu

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

* NEVER DOWNLOAD the Temu app.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
You can make these easy enough out of some steel bar... or you can buy them on Walmart.com or Temu

i bought something like that ,but it is nylon, with 3 zippered pouches made to hold 3 rifles
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I have looked at the racks that go in top of cab, saw one in GameWardens truck in Texas, I can’t do that to my trucks either, I do have one in top of 4 door Ranger, so in feed trk. It just like RBar says, grab and out the window, others I have Marathon seat covers with gun cuffs on back of seat, carry at least one long gun every where, tinted glass and towel or coat over ones in passenger seats, unloaded when on highways with clips close.

Mine would be bouncing out of that rack and falling to the back floorboard on some of the places I drive.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Mine would be bouncing out of that rack and falling to the back floorboard on some of the places I drive.
Imagine how beat to schit they would look, as well. Guns are made from steel and wood but are really fragile when you think about it.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
One Big Sky overhead rack does attach directly to the inner roof if there is one.

They also have a model with an extended base that reaches to the upper door jamb.

They've both gotten pricey but work well unless your really tall.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by 19352012

Imagine how beat to schit they would look, as well. Guns are made from steel and wood but are really fragile when you think about it.
Vinyl coated the same as racks were back in the day.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I've had this setup for years. Keep an open sight gun and a 4' level in it. If I'm in kill mode the rifle/shotgun is up front next to me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've had this setup for years. Keep an open sight gun and a 4' level in it. If I'm in kill mode the rifle/shotgun is up front next to me.

exacty what i use but mine is black .hides guns from prying eyes and protects them
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
It's held up well.

Think it was from LL Bean?
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23

You will want to do this.
Posted By: DocFoster Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23

Am I seeing this wrong? Is the scope on the Marlin mounted backwards?
Make them out of 5/16" steel rod... bend them as necessary to secure your weapons properly.

Skinny over the rod a 12" piece of rubber air compressor hose.

It ain't complicated to make chit that works without Amazon thinking for ya...
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
I miss the days of bench seats and saddle blanket seat covers. It was not even in a truck, but in a '74 Buick Le Sabre. I had a saddle blanket seat cover with a gun pocket under my knees. I could discreetly carry a 12 ga autoloader with a 30 inch barrel, or a scoped rifle. I usually had one or the other in the car.

This one appears to be fairly discrete.

[Linked Image from mackspw.com]
Posted By: K1500 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
The Du-Ha is what you want. Can keep 3 rifles under the back seat completely out of sight. Can also keep all the crap under your back seat from rolling all around. It also meets the qualification of case for states that require it. Worth every penny.

Du-ha

I also use the lucid snap rack. It is instant access and I believe also meets case or rack requirements. Can be concealed by draping a jacket or hoodie over it if need be.

Snap rack

I’ve got both and use both. For the snap rack install, make it as tight as possible and save the extra elastic so you can re-do it a few years down the road when it wears out. Mines 10 years old and I have redone the elastic a few times.

The snap rack can scratch the barrel just a little bit. Some electrical tape (blue of course) around the barrel or on the rack will stop that. With something on the floorboard wedged against the butstock it is surprisingly solid. The video does a good job showing it. It’s available at Amazon for a little less. I believe the DuHa can be had at Amazon or real truck as well. The DuHa will not mar the gun at all. Something like 50,000 plus miles without any marks.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Thanks for the ideas men. Allot of good ones too!
Originally Posted by DocFoster

LOL!

Yep it is!

"I can't see chit outta this scope! It was hell to sight in! But that bore sighter finally paid off!" laugh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23

LOL!

Yep it is!

"I can't see chit outta this scope! It was hell to sight in! But that bore sighter finally paid off!" laugh

People who want to do long distance hunting mount a scope like that.
Posted By: WFR Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].
Nice rifles!

LOL...

It was a Google grab pic.

I missed the scope being backwards.

That is just downright pathetic.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Are you talking about the black gun cases?

How concerned are you about people seeing your guns and then stealing them?
Posted By: gunzo Re: Truck gun rack - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Good point. I had a plain Chevy with a black steel headliner & a Big Sky rack. Rarely, & I mean it, that anybody noticed the guns on the ceiling. An all black 870 & a grey & stainless model 7. They rode there 10 years. Folks riding in the truck sometimes didn't notice them.

I put the rack in another truck with a tan cloth headliner. The guns stuck out like a sore thumb. Folks walking past the truck saw them.

Guess it's all in the application.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
Some of the bench seat saddleblanket seat covers have pockets the length of the seat that will hold a long gun. Perfect for a levergun.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23

LOL!

Yep it is!

He's gonna shoot himself in the face!
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
Originally Posted by K1500
The Du-Ha is what you want. Can keep 3 rifles under the back seat completely out of sight. Can also keep all the crap under your back seat from rolling all around. It also meets the qualification of case for states that require it. Worth every penny.

Du-ha

Thanks, i have one incoming.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
You bet. They really are a nice setup. They look factory when installed and no one can see all the stuff in the box.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
You bet. They really are a nice setup. They look factory when installed and no one can see all the stuff in the box.

I really like that too.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

You will want to do this.

I like this and yes I can see doing this. Thanks

Du-ha

I also use the lucid snap rack. It is instant access and I believe also meets case or rack requirements. Can be concealed by draping a jacket or hoodie over it if need be.

Snap rack

I’ve got both and use both. For the snap rack install, make it as tight as possible and save the extra elastic so you can re-do it a few years down the road when it wears out. Mines 10 years old and I have redone the elastic a few times.

The snap rack can scratch the barrel just a little bit. Some electrical tape (blue of course) around the barrel or on the rack will stop that. With something on the floorboard wedged against the butstock it is surprisingly solid. The video does a good job showing it. It’s available at Amazon for a little less. I believe the DuHa can be had at Amazon or real truck as well. The DuHa will not mar the gun at all. Something like 50,000 plus miles without any marks.

Nice! I got on their website and was ready to place an order but found out they don't sell the lockable unit for under my truck's seat. There just isn't enough room. Excellent looking product though.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Good point. I had a plain Chevy with a black steel headliner & a Big Sky rack. Rarely, & I mean it, that anybody noticed the guns on the ceiling. An all black 870 & a grey & stainless model 7. They rode there 10 years. Folks riding in the truck sometimes didn't notice them.

I put the rack in another truck with a tan cloth headliner. The guns stuck out like a sore thumb. Folks walking past the truck saw them.

Guess it's all in the application.

My headliner is light colored too. No tint on the front windows either. I think I'll stay away from the headliner mount.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Truck gun rack - 10/14/23
I carry a rifle in my pickup all the time. Mostly I'm by myself, so it's barrel down on the passenger floorboard with the buttstock near the console, resting on the passenger seat.

If I have a dog riding with me, or person, I put the buttstock on the back seat with the barrel along the console of the driver side. Quick access either way. Throw a towel over it to cover it when I go inside a store. But then again, I don't advertise I have a gun in the pickup by installing an obvious gun rack.

^^^This^^^

Long gone are the good ole days when EVERY Rancher had a rifle rack mounted to the back windshield of their truck.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
Originally Posted by 19352012

Those racks will rub off the bluing and mar the finish on the stock PDQ. They need some soft padding, unless you have a beater truck gun. They'll work fine then, be sure to add some velcro straps to hold them in place or they'll launch onto the floor.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Long gone are the good ole days when EVERY Rancher had a rifle rack mounted to the back windshield of their truck.
95% of the trucks on the road, you can not reach the back window from the driver's seat.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
^ that’s what the snap rack is good for.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
Having guns bouncing around inside a vehicle is a pet peeve of mine.
I mounted spacers in my center console cup holders and attached 2 atv gun racks.
The front of the rifles set into the racks and the two rifles on the outside set between the front seats. The two inside have a rack that holds them that is strapped to the middle console seat.

These go in during hunting season and slide out after.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Having guns bouncing around inside a vehicle is a pet peeve of mine.
I mounted spacers in my center console cup holders and attached 2 atv gun racks.
The front of the rifles set into the racks and the two rifles on the outside set between the front seats. The two inside have a rack that holds them that is strapped to the middle console seat.

These go in during hunting season and slide out after.
Good idea.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/15/23
Posted By: Sea_N_Sea Re: Truck gun rack - 10/16/23
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I miss the days of bench seats and saddle blanket seat covers. It was not even in a truck, but in a '74 Buick Le Sabre. I had a saddle blanket seat cover with a gun pocket under my knees. I could discreetly carry a 12 ga autoloader with a 30 inch barrel, or a scoped rifle. I usually had one or the other in the car.

This one appears to be fairly discrete.

[Linked Image from mackspw.com]

I have one of these and would recommend it. The bottom level zips off and makes a decent case or allows for a two gun configuration against the back seat. (which is how I have mine) Its fairly discreet and the pockets make for good storage.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Truck gun rack - 10/16/23
It does look wrongly mounted. grin
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Truck gun rack - 10/17/23

Du-ha

It is already here.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Truck gun rack - 10/17/23

Du-ha

It is already here.

That's a good storage method. I use under my back seat for storage as well.

But not my rifle. When I need my rifle, more times than not, I need it quick.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Truck gun rack - 10/17/23

Du-ha

It is already here.

That's a good storage method. I use under my back seat for storage as well.

But not my rifle. When I need my rifle, more times than not, I need it quick.

Amen to that!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Truck gun rack - 10/17/23
These are too far apart. On a rough road the guns will come off. They need them to hang from the inside headrest mounts, not from the center of them.

© 24hourcampfire