Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got a 2017 Dodge Ram Quad cab and want to carry a long gun in it. In the past I have used the racks that attached through the headliner but the way this looks that won't work. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jim

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
On the ranch there is a Polaris 6 wheeled side by side with a very slick double gun rack attached to the cab ceiling. Maybe look in that direction to see if one of those types can be made to work in your truck?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a rifle in my pickup all the time. Mostly I'm by myself, so it's barrel down on the passenger floorboard with the buttstock near the console, resting on the passenger seat.

If I have a dog riding with me, or person, I put the buttstock on the back seat with the barrel along the console of the driver side. Quick access either way. Throw a towel over it to cover it when I go inside a store. But then again, I don't advertise I have a gun in the pickup by installing an obvious gun rack.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You want it for immediate usage or a long as a precaution? So where do you want the rifle to sit?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I checked on a rack for my '08 Dodge quad cab. They make an overhead rack but it's stupid expensive - over $200.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I checked on a rack for my '08 Dodge quad cab. They make an overhead rack but it's stupid expensive - over $200.
Also, 7-8# above your head, what could go wrong?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can make these easy enough out of some steel bar... or you can buy them on Walmart.com or Temu

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

* NEVER DOWNLOAD the Temu app.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CashisKing
You can make these easy enough out of some steel bar... or you can buy them on Walmart.com or Temu

i bought something like that ,but it is nylon, with 3 zippered pouches made to hold 3 rifles

NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have looked at the racks that go in top of cab, saw one in GameWardens truck in Texas, I can’t do that to my trucks either, I do have one in top of 4 door Ranger, so in feed trk. It just like RBar says, grab and out the window, others I have Marathon seat covers with gun cuffs on back of seat, carry at least one long gun every where, tinted glass and towel or coat over ones in passenger seats, unloaded when on highways with clips close.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mine would be bouncing out of that rack and falling to the back floorboard on some of the places I drive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Mine would be bouncing out of that rack and falling to the back floorboard on some of the places I drive.
Imagine how beat to schit they would look, as well. Guns are made from steel and wood but are really fragile when you think about it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One Big Sky overhead rack does attach directly to the inner roof if there is one.

They also have a model with an extended base that reaches to the upper door jamb.

They've both gotten pricey but work well unless your really tall.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Imagine how beat to schit they would look, as well. Guns are made from steel and wood but are really fragile when you think about it.
Vinyl coated the same as racks were back in the day.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had this setup for years. Keep an open sight gun and a 4' level in it. If I'm in kill mode the rifle/shotgun is up front next to me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've had this setup for years. Keep an open sight gun and a 4' level in it. If I'm in kill mode the rifle/shotgun is up front next to me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
exacty what i use but mine is black .hides guns from prying eyes and protects them

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's held up well.

Think it was from LL Bean?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

You will want to do this.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Am I seeing this wrong? Is the scope on the Marlin mounted backwards?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Make them out of 5/16" steel rod... bend them as necessary to secure your weapons properly.

Skinny over the rod a 12" piece of rubber air compressor hose.

It ain't complicated to make chit that works without Amazon thinking for ya...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I miss the days of bench seats and saddle blanket seat covers. It was not even in a truck, but in a '74 Buick Le Sabre. I had a saddle blanket seat cover with a gun pocket under my knees. I could discreetly carry a 12 ga autoloader with a 30 inch barrel, or a scoped rifle. I usually had one or the other in the car.

This one appears to be fairly discrete.

[Linked Image from mackspw.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,091
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.