Home
They look really good just sitting in the bag! Yes, they are "fresh", not frozen.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No

Turkey sucks
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Turkey sucks

Fugn Commie.
Nope. I’m pretty good at cooking turkeys. I get free frozen ones every year from my grocery store, and though they’re not Butterballs or other name-brands usually, an oven bag makes them tender and juicy.

Used to get them after the holidays for about $.10 a pound. Joe’s probably screwed that up too.

I love turkey!
Nope, we brine, smoke etc ourselves.
Nope. I am not a fan of turkey. Porchetta this year.
Don't buy whole birds anymore. We buy bits and pieces.
I've got a big black cast iron pot. I've scalded and plucked exactly ONE whole wild turkey!
Never again!
We do cornbread dressing, home made whole cranberry sauce and bake a couple of chicken breasts, chop them up and put them in the dressing!
It's just me and the Mrs..

BTW! I'm a tightwad! No on a Costco turkey!
Yep, and I'm not a big turkey fan either, but everyone else here likes them for Thanksgiving. Looks good to me.
No, I'll pass.
I would and probably will. We’ve been getting fresh turkeys for several years now, sometimes pre- brined, sometimes we brine. If we couldn’t get fresh turkey we’d go with something else for Thanksgiving rather than a frozen one. Might as well eat cardboard as a “Butterball” or others of that ilk.
Ninety percent salt. At least the one I had was anyway
Good small producer out of our area.
No whole turkey is worth $4.79 per pound. My local Kroger will have it for <$0.50 per pound next week.
I'd be concerned about the fact that it was 'Free Range Grown', rather than having been raised...
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
I'd be concerned about the fact that it was 'Free Range Grown', rather than having been raised...

How come?
They should be our National bird symbol.
They taste a lot better than Iggle.
Not sure why I wouldn't for a regular meal. But not for Thanksgiving, we do tamales and chilaquiles and carnitas and such for Thanksgiving.

Bet that carcass would make some awesome stock.
Originally Posted by SupFoo

How come?

Do you understand the difference between grown and raised?
Wow that’s HIGHER than a cat’s back.

We just picked up 2 for .99c a lb

We fix a turkey on occasions outside of the holidays. Fixed Baby Huey his own turkey last week all time himself. Guess he Henry the 8th that mfker all to himself.

How come?

Why don't you explain it to us.
Weight is artificial with the brine.

$4.79/lb is a lot for the salt water.
No.
No. I have a $.27/lb waiting on me. I’ll eat 2 pieces of it, the pups will get the rest.
Ahhh! No!!!

How come?

Why don't you explain it to us.

Sorry, this is a basic avenue of learning... and if I spoon feed you now I fear it'll stunt your future capabilities. Good Luck.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Holy Schitt, I just blew beer out of my nose.
Wasn't expecting to see that.
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
No

Turkey sucks
This👆
Going to the original Costco in Kirkland, in the morning.

I am going for the turd world atmosphere.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wow that’s HIGHER than a cat’s back.

We just picked up 2 for .99c a lb

We fix a turkey on occasions outside of the holidays. Fixed Baby Huey his own turkey last week all time himself. Guess he Henry the 8th that mfker all to himself.

Lol. Huey killin it.

I can make a turkey that melts in your mouth. I take several herbs and mix them with butter and shove the mixture all up underneath the skin on the turkey. Baste frequently. Makes it so it melts in your mouth. But I'm not buying any turkey just south of a $100 bill.
Originally Posted by Stammster
No whole turkey is worth $4.79 per pound. My local Kroger will have it for <$0.50 per pound next week.
Our local Albertsons has given one free with a minumum grocery purchase; in the past it has been from $100 to $150, depending on the year. I suspect this year, because of inflation, it will be at least $150.00. Whatever, it's always been an easy amount to reach.
They sound like a good family business and are sure into turkeys

https://diestelturkey.com/
Hell no. ham taste better.
One year my wife's family came to have Thanksgiving with us and one of her sisters was big on organic nonsense. Long story short, in order to make everyone happy, we ended up buying a fresh turkey - not frozen from Whole Foods. I think that it was like $65 and it wasn't that big - and this was 10 years ago. I guess looking back it wasn't such a big deal but when you plan on paying like maybe $12 for a 16 pound bird, paying that much money had some sting

When turkeys are cheap I always buy 2 this time of year, one for the holidays and one for summer. We also get a couple of spiral sliced hams with the glaze.

A friend of my wifes is having their kitchen redone and can't have thanksgiving so we invited them over the week after. Looking forward to a big spread at our house. That said, I'm not spending $4.79 a pound for Turkey anytime soon, even at Costco
Pumped full of them horemoans and will literally give you the gay. Thanksgiving is a communist plot anyway. I don't eat anything but squirrels and sweet taters
Only if I fugg up the Sika hunt...

"Sika... the only meat you cut with a spoon."
That looks too expensive for turkey. Free range means a percentage of what is in the house gets to go outside to a bare dirt area that is fenced in with no roof over them for a specified time each day. They raise lots of poultry where I live and free range is no advantage. I woukd think it would make them tougher because they excercise a little more. I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Buy the cheapest or stay home...
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
That looks too expensive for turkey. Free range means a percentage of what is in the house gets to go outside to a bare dirt area that is fenced in with no roof over them for a specified time each day. They raise lots of poultry where I live and free range is no advantage. I woukd think it would make them tougher because they excercise a little more. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

You want expensive check out D’Artagnan they say you get what you pay for. I’ve had them in the past, tough to justify, but it’s the best turkey I ever had. I would’ve went through my butcher, Local raised and butchered.
That's cheap compared to our Thanksgiving meal.......Tomahawk Ribeye
Originally Posted by Raeford

clearly you have more to be thankful for than us $.29 a pound frozen turkey guys!
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Raeford

clearly you have more to be thankful for than us $.29 a pound frozen turkey guys!

We do T dinner on Wednesday evening with son and his family.
No reason to do turkey when everyone else does the next day.
Some years it's pork butt others are the ribeyes.
Saw a report where turkey prices are down this year but everything else for the meal is Bidened up.

Good call out on the price per pound on brined having to do with the salt water weight. I prefer turkey to ham. Guess I am a rare bird.

Yeah, because they're so noble looking when winter comes, they congregate in the feed lots, and their scratching through frozen cow-pies looking for the undigested corn kernels.

I get that Bald Eagles are big-time scavengers, but, they're not flocked together picking through some other critters dung for a meal.

I don't mind store-bought turkey for 1 meal when it's hot and fresh. I don't like the leftovers though, all I taste is the solidified lard they inject in them to make them "self-basting".
I have to shake my head at all the "I don't like..." types. You can't be boomers because we boomers grew up eating what there was available. We didn't get to reject anything that wasn't dainty.

Re: that Costco bird. You can get a whole roasted chicken for the price of one pound of that injected travesty.
$5 a pound for a turkey is a hard no.
Turkey is not the favorite so I’d pass. We like the dark meat on. Turkey as a whole. A good ham beats turkey any day.
A guy down the road smokes turkey or ham for $15 bucks each, probably take one over to try out.
SupFoo: I love Turkey and I love CostCo - but that seems a bit pricey to me.
The VarmintWife will be notified and she makes the food decisions around here.
I do not recall ever eating "bad Turkey" and I have had lots of frozen ones and lots of fresh ones.
One of my Uncles used to slow roast, over his barbecue pit, two Turkeys at once and he basted them constantly with a homemade honey mustard sauce - those were some of the best tasting food I have ever eaten!
I will let you know if we partake of these pricey brined birds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have to shake my head at all the "I don't like..." types. You can't be boomers because we boomers grew up eating what there was available. We didn't get to reject anything that wasn't dainty.

Always had a choice for dinner- eat or go hungry.
Ours is a gift from our veterinarian.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by horse1

Yeah, because they're so noble looking when winter comes, they congregate in the feed lots, and their scratching through frozen cow-pies looking for the undigested corn kernels.

I get that Bald Eagles are big-time scavengers, but, they're not flocked together picking through some other critters dung for a meal.

I don't mind store-bought turkey for 1 meal when it's hot and fresh. I don't like the leftovers though, all I taste is the solidified lard they inject in them to make them "self-basting".

I think Ben Franklin wanted it as our national bird. Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass
[quote=horse1] Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass

Or the 101st referring to themselves as the "Screaming Turkeys" ?
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Ninety percent salt. At least the one I had was anyway

Yep, too salty.

FWIW a turkey producer from Petaluma I knew years ago said buy frozen birds. The fresh birds are pumped full of preservatives.
The stores around here almost always run a free turkey special if you spend $100 in groceries. That’s pretty easy to do these days so I’ll pick a couple up up in the next week or two, brine and smoke them. I’ll be flavorful and moist; not like that sawdust most people serve. There’s a fair number who show up on turkey day just to have some of my fare.

I’ve never had that Costco version but I would guess it’s pretty decent if they’re bringing them in at that price. It’s still less per pound than the packer brisket I buy - choice or prime only for brisket.
Originally Posted by horse1

I think Ben Franklin wanted it as our national bird. Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass

Shirley, you’re aware Franklin wanted the wild turkey as the national symbol?

Long before birds were developed that would know themselves out pecking at something shiny, or ‘drown’ looking up at rain, or let their feet freeze to the ground in the cold overnight.
© 24hourcampfire