Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Raeford
That's cheap compared to our Thanksgiving meal.......Tomahawk Ribeye

clearly you have more to be thankful for than us $.29 a pound frozen turkey guys!

We do T dinner on Wednesday evening with son and his family.
No reason to do turkey when everyone else does the next day.
Some years it's pork butt others are the ribeyes.

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a report where turkey prices are down this year but everything else for the meal is Bidened up.

Good call out on the price per pound on brined having to do with the salt water weight. I prefer turkey to ham. Guess I am a rare bird.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jaguartx
They should be our National bird symbol.
They taste a lot better than Iggle.

Yeah, because they're so noble looking when winter comes, they congregate in the feed lots, and their scratching through frozen cow-pies looking for the undigested corn kernels.

I get that Bald Eagles are big-time scavengers, but, they're not flocked together picking through some other critters dung for a meal.

I don't mind store-bought turkey for 1 meal when it's hot and fresh. I don't like the leftovers though, all I taste is the solidified lard they inject in them to make them "self-basting".

Last edited by horse1; 11/07/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to shake my head at all the "I don't like..." types. You can't be boomers because we boomers grew up eating what there was available. We didn't get to reject anything that wasn't dainty.

Re: that Costco bird. You can get a whole roasted chicken for the price of one pound of that injected travesty.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
$5 a pound for a turkey is a hard no.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Turkey is not the favorite so I’d pass. We like the dark meat on. Turkey as a whole. A good ham beats turkey any day.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
A guy down the road smokes turkey or ham for $15 bucks each, probably take one over to try out.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SupFoo: I love Turkey and I love CostCo - but that seems a bit pricey to me.
The VarmintWife will be notified and she makes the food decisions around here.
I do not recall ever eating "bad Turkey" and I have had lots of frozen ones and lots of fresh ones.
One of my Uncles used to slow roast, over his barbecue pit, two Turkeys at once and he basted them constantly with a homemade honey mustard sauce - those were some of the best tasting food I have ever eaten!
I will let you know if we partake of these pricey brined birds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have to shake my head at all the "I don't like..." types. You can't be boomers because we boomers grew up eating what there was available. We didn't get to reject anything that wasn't dainty.

Always had a choice for dinner- eat or go hungry.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ours is a gift from our veterinarian.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1

Yeah, because they're so noble looking when winter comes, they congregate in the feed lots, and their scratching through frozen cow-pies looking for the undigested corn kernels.

I get that Bald Eagles are big-time scavengers, but, they're not flocked together picking through some other critters dung for a meal.

I don't mind store-bought turkey for 1 meal when it's hot and fresh. I don't like the leftovers though, all I taste is the solidified lard they inject in them to make them "self-basting".

I think Ben Franklin wanted it as our national bird. Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass

Last edited by KFWA; 11/07/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote=horse1] Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass

Or the 101st referring to themselves as the "Screaming Turkeys" ?

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/07/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Ninety percent salt. At least the one I had was anyway

Yep, too salty.

FWIW a turkey producer from Petaluma I knew years ago said buy frozen birds. The fresh birds are pumped full of preservatives.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The stores around here almost always run a free turkey special if you spend $100 in groceries. That’s pretty easy to do these days so I’ll pick a couple up up in the next week or two, brine and smoke them. I’ll be flavorful and moist; not like that sawdust most people serve. There’s a fair number who show up on turkey day just to have some of my fare.

I’ve never had that Costco version but I would guess it’s pretty decent if they’re bringing them in at that price. It’s still less per pound than the packer brisket I buy - choice or prime only for brisket.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by horse1

I think Ben Franklin wanted it as our national bird. Hard to imagine the 82nd Airborne Gobbling Turkeys parachuting down on D-Day and kicking ass

Shirley, you’re aware Franklin wanted the wild turkey as the national symbol?

Long before birds were developed that would know themselves out pecking at something shiny, or ‘drown’ looking up at rain, or let their feet freeze to the ground in the cold overnight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.