Home
Recovered under the off-side hide. It's a .270 Nosler 150 grain. Fired from a 22" barrel about a grain back from max.

Shot broadside into a large bodied whitetail buck at 300 yards. Broke both shoulders and it went down in a heap. The bullet was an obvious lump on the off side.

The recovered bullet weighed 93 grains (62%). The front of the bullet opened until the mantle. The jacket peeled back with four petals. The max width of the expansion was .584 (although it was ~oval shaped and thus thinner in the middle).

About what you'd expect out of a Nosler partition and I enjoy doing bullet autopsies when I can.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
But what about all of that lead you'll be eating???🤣🤣🤣

Looks good to me.
Originally Posted by MWN
Recovered under the off-side hide. It's a .270 Nosler 150 grain. Fired from a 22" barrel about a grain back from max.

Shot broadside into a large bodied whitetail buck at 300 yards. Broke both shoulders and it went down in a heap. The bullet was an obvious lump on the off side.

The recovered bullet weighed 93 grains (62%). The front of the bullet opened until the mantle. The jacket peeled back with four petals. The max width of the expansion was .584 (although it was ~oval shaped and thus thinner in the middle).

About what you'd expect out of a Nosler partition and I enjoy doing bullet autopsies when I can.

Good shot and well done on the pics MWN.

So, impact velocity 2,200 - 2,300 fps?

What exactly "Broke" on both shoulders"?

Since you like digging bullets outa stuff to gauge performance, check out this site, you will spend days going through things:

The 150 grain Partition is a truly outstanding bullet. A key factor to extracting this performance is to ensure hand loads are running at muzzle velocities of 2900fps or higher. This projectile is spectacular when used on light game, absolutely emphatic on heavier animals of up to 150kg. On heavier animals up to the size of Elk, the 150 grain Partition is one of the best bullets available in .270 caliber. For a long time I have debated this internally. The .270 is in some ways a light cartridge for large bodied game, it is certainly lighter than a 7mm Remington Magnum loaded with the 160-175 grain Partition or a .30-06 loaded with a 180 grain bullet. For many years, I preferred to ere on the side of caution and recommend the Barnes in the .270 for use on tough game. Yet after many years and having seen many tough animals downed with the violent wounding Partition, this bullet still proves its merit with an ability to produce wide wounding and deep penetration on large bodied deer and tough wild boar with armor plated shoulder shields. Furthermore, this performance can be pushed out to considerable ranges, down to impact velocities of 1800fps although wounding is at its most violent at 2200fps and above.

My one concern with the Nosler 150 grain Partition is that it can be so good, that it can lead to over confidence in the .270 cartridge. Similar notes of this nature can be found in the 6.5x55 text. Sometimes, when a bullet performs extremely well, there is a risk of eventually pushing a cartridge beyond its limitations. Therefore, it is recommended that while great performance can be expected from the 150 grain Partition on large bodied medium game, hunters should exercise circumspection.

Terminal Ballistics Research
The deer carcass was donated to a local church so I don't know the extent of the internal damage. That it went down DRT indicating to me that spinal cord took damage. And yes, I'd place the velocity between 2200-2300 fps.
I recovered a 270 interlock yesterday👍👍
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by MWN

Good shot and well done on the pics MWN.

So, impact velocity 2,200 - 2,300 fps?

What exactly "Broke" on both shoulders"?

Since you like digging bullets outa stuff to gauge performance, check out this site, you will spend days going through things:

The 150 grain Partition is a truly outstanding bullet. A key factor to extracting this performance is to ensure hand loads are running at muzzle velocities of 2900fps or higher. This projectile is spectacular when used on light game, absolutely emphatic on heavier animals of up to 150kg. On heavier animals up to the size of Elk, the 150 grain Partition is one of the best bullets available in .270 caliber. For a long time I have debated this internally. The .270 is in some ways a light cartridge for large bodied game, it is certainly lighter than a 7mm Remington Magnum loaded with the 160-175 grain Partition or a .30-06 loaded with a 180 grain bullet. For many years, I preferred to ere on the side of caution and recommend the Barnes in the .270 for use on tough game. Yet after many years and having seen many tough animals downed with the violent wounding Partition, this bullet still proves its merit with an ability to produce wide wounding and deep penetration on large bodied deer and tough wild boar with armor plated shoulder shields. Furthermore, this performance can be pushed out to considerable ranges, down to impact velocities of 1800fps although wounding is at its most violent at 2200fps and above.

My one concern with the Nosler 150 grain Partition is that it can be so good, that it can lead to over confidence in the .270 cartridge. Similar notes of this nature can be found in the 6.5x55 text. Sometimes, when a bullet performs extremely well, there is a risk of eventually pushing a cartridge beyond its limitations. Therefore, it is recommended that while great performance can be expected from the 150 grain Partition on large bodied medium game, hunters should exercise circumspection.

Terminal Ballistics Research

Who writes that garbage on “Terminal Ballistics Research”?

Here’s a nice snippet on the 270 that sounds like it was written by a complete idiot:

“Most pre 9/11 ammunition produced very poor performance on game. The combination of low muzzle velocities, non aerodynamic bullet designs and the trend towards 22” barrels all took a toll on performance. At close ranges this ammunition performed adequately but at ranges beyond 100 yards, kills could be very slow. At 200 yards, lean bodied animals would often show no sign of a bullet strike whatsoever and escape to cover. Many hunters would have been fooled by what seemed like a complete miss when using this ammunition of the past.”
BS. 270 won't kill nothing bigger than coyotes. Heard it on tha Far. smile
With a Post 64 Win FWT with the Schnable forearm I retrieved two Hornaday Interlocks from the old Frontier Cartridge Co and nice sized Whitetail bucks. 140 gr IIRC.

First jumped up and I got a Texas heart shot that resulted in a knot under the bucks neck skin which fell out on the floor when he was skinned.

The second was a smaller Central Texas buck that was coming toward me and hit at the front base of the neck. That shot resulted in a knot under the bucks butt skin and also rolled out on the floor when it was skinned.

My young high school aged brother talked me into selling the gun to him cheap and after graduating and getting a job in the oil field he ended up killing 3 or 4 bull elk in Colorado with the same rig and cartridges.
That's typical Nosler performance....absolute perfection!
Been using them for over 60 years and have never been disappointed. Put that bullet in the right place and get your knife out, there's work to be done.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Why don't you read his bio for yourself.

Nathan & Stephanie Foster
Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

Here's a "nice snippet" you missed because you didn't:

As I write these lines, Steph and I have accounted for over eight thousand head of medium to large game since we first started hunting together way back in 1991. Our wonderful daughter Riley also helps in the field and is always a pleasure to work with. We have been infinitely blessed to have such a magnificent soul in our lives.
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Pics?

Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

As I write these lines, Steph and I have accounted for over eight thousand head of medium to large game since we first started hunting together way back in 1991. Our wonderful daughter Riley also helps in the field and is always a pleasure to work with. We have been infinitely blessed to have such a magnificent soul in our lives.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Do you really believe .270’s were unreliable killers past 100???

And that it was somehow affected by 9/11???

Gullible AF.

Gullible AF.

Obviously you didn't read the entire history he is describing.

Learn to read you numskull.

Gullible AF.

Obviously you didn't read the entire history he is describing.

Learn to read you numskull.

Good God, your B.S. detector is terrible.

But next time you want to impress someone behind the counter of your local Cabelas Outpost, be sure to bring up “pre” and “post” 9/11 ammo…

Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

Well good thing they get within 100 yards with their 270s, otherwise they might have only harvested one thousand animals... How many animals have been harvested by the Greener? I've heard they work best at close range as well.
Anyone who cares to learn stuff about bullet terminal performance, suggest you read through Terminal Ballistics Research

Another good site for bullet terminal performance is Nosler Forum. Besides good information, it has the added advantage of knowledgeable and polite posters.

MWN, you started a good thread. Bullet terminal performance is an interesting subject. Post those pics in the Nosler Forum, they will be delighted.
Anyone who cares to learn stuff about bullet terminal performance, suggest you read through Terminal Ballistics Research

Another good site for bullet terminal performance is Nosler Forum. Besides good information, it has the added advantage of knowledgeable and polite posters.

MWN, you started a good thread. Bullet terminal performance is an interesting subject. Post those pics in the Nosler Forum, they will be delighted.

I thought you were an odd duck from the beginning, much like myself, and many gave you grief for your excessive threads about current events, but most thread bearers in the HC fall into that definition, so I gave you a pass, and I usually saw some sense of logical continuance in you, but now...I seriously cannot decide if you are a bot or an inept twat. I'm currently leaning toward the idea that you are a bot programed by inept twats.

Please, describe in single words only, the good things that come into your mind, about your mother.
In rural Alaska the 270 is a standard carry for anything that walks,,150gr factory or loaded enhaces it all the more,, my sister in law take a moose most years with her 270!
At best, that NZ stuff reads like AI trying to write about ballistics.
One of my next projects is to load up 270 with 150 grain Nosler partitions with some R-26. I am hoping for some good results.
Originally Posted by Scotty
One of my next projects is to load up 270 with 150 grain Nosler partitions with some R-26. I am hoping for some good results.

Now ewe our joust teeing tha piss mate... deems sheep fookahs down udder say it want weak. Gitcha closet dan 200 meterlogicals hoe yews dun knackered fur shiz, ya needsin doit sews yous can bag yer bangin matey.
it performed just like a powerbelt muzzleloader bullet that most people hate.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
it performed just like a powerbelt muzzleloader bullet that most people hate.

Why do people dislike them?
I shot a 240lb Whitetail buck in Iowa in December 2016 with a 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum bullet. Entered quartering to me at 111 yards. Perfectly mushroomed bullet found poking though the offside hide outside the ribcage during skinning. I hate em alright.

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Recovered Powerbelt. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Ron
MWN, It is a nice-looking bullet, typical of the Partitions I have recovered over the years. I myself collect recovered bullets with well over 100 documented and about 75 un-documented, (obtained from a meat processing plant). I shot Partitions handloads exclusively for decades then decided that the remainder of my hunting career I would use factory ammo, just to see how they preform. This year all I got was a deer tag, shot a fair sized 2 point on the last day, using a 30/06 and factory 220 grain Winchester Power point. I waited till it faced me and was able to recover the bullet. Classic expansion.
Nosler makes very good stuff...

SPS runs really great sales on their blems...

https://www.shootersproshop.com/shop/in-stock/all-in-stock/bullets.html
They killers sure enough
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
But what about all of that lead you'll be eating???🤣🤣🤣

Looks good to me.

Yum yum

Share that “deer bolonny” at the next church business meeting. Always insist your processor smokes, dips cope, and 3 bandaids on his fingers.
Ask for the wound canal and shock clots to be never wasted. LOL

ole boy sliced me some of his cold cut and it had shiny lead glitter in it. 🤙👏🏻🤣🤮
Always process yourself ⭐️🕺🏽
Looks a lot like all my recovered A-Frames. wink

I like Nosler Partitions. But I love Swift A-Frames.
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Pics?
Or it never happened😜
I am surprised it did not exit. But I bet you take the same shot five times in a row and have a different outcome Meaning and exit, at least one of the five shots.
Originally Posted by MWN

Perfect.....can't ask for more in a hunting bullet. Partitions have been kicking ass for well over 60 years.
Nice bullet recovery but in all fairness you can kill a deer with just about any bullet ever made.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice bullet recovery but in all fairness you can kill a deer with just about any bullet ever made.

Yeah, but sometimes finding a big buck after the shot can be a real pain in the ass.

I remember a guy who shot several times hitting and missing with a 7 Mag in NM once. He finally got close to the dying cow elk and put a couple rounds through her side. It stood there with legs splayed until he went back to his truck and got something bigger. He returned and whacked her between the eyes with a ball-peen hammer and she dropped like a rock.

At the end of the hunt the camp guys presented him with a hammer mounted in a rectangular wooden box.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

I thought you were an odd duck from the beginning, much like myself, and many gave you grief for your excessive threads about current events, but most thread bearers in the HC fall into that definition, so I gave you a pass, and I usually saw some sense of logical continuance in you, but now...I seriously cannot decide if you are a bot or an inept twat. I'm currently leaning toward the idea that you are a bot programed by inept twats.

Please, describe in single words only, the good things that come into your mind, about your mother.

Sometimes I think writers write when they should read. I remember in college, they said “those that could, did and those that couldn’t, taught”.

I have found that I keep shooting whatever is still standing and then I can make my own table of ballistic data found in my pockets after the hunt. Have bullets failed? Maybe in some circles, but when you get a bullet out of a dead animal, something worked…

Originally Posted by Scotty

I wouldn’t do that.

150 partitions are a pre-9/11 bullet design.

Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Gullible AF.
Read it everywhere on the inner toob. Once the creedmud came out game became bulletproof to everything else.
That dude on TBR is all over the board and makes statements that contradict reality from every else around the world.

As far as the .270 goes, there have been too many big animals from elk to moose, grizz et al that have been killed with 130's, 150's,....premium bullets, hand loads, factory C&C you name it. My step father passed away last year at 100. He started hunting elk in Colorado in 1948-49 with his Win. Mod 70 in .270. He killed everything with factory ammo and when I hunted with him in the mid 1980's he was using rem. 130 grain bronze points and continued using that combo until he switched to 300 Weatherby only because he got a great deal on Colt Saur and he liked pretty wood and thought the 300 would make them more deader. Thing is his first 4 doz.+ elk that fell to the .270 weren't any less dead than the next doz. killed with the 300.
Dumped a coyote the other day at 368 yards. He failed to catch the 130gr pro hunter.
"That dude on TBR is all over the board and makes statements that contradict reality from every else around the world."

I'm inclined to agree with you. I've read what he wrote about on the cartridges and bullets I use and more than once I've found what he said to the 180 degrees out of synch with my experience.
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"That dude on TBR is all over the board and makes statements that contradict reality from every else around the world."

I'm inclined to agree with you. I've read what he wrote about on the cartridges and bullets I use and more than once I've found what he said to the 180 degrees out of synch with my experience.
PJ

Maybe you could site some of those examples for our benefit.
I found three old boxes of 180 grain .357 Nosler Partitions at a local mom and pop shop, that are no longer available. I want to use them in a 35-30 wildcat rifle (similar to the .35 Rem.), so I contacted Nosler about how fast I can push them. The response was, "there is no limit for that bullet out of a rifle."
That's pretty typical of Partitions that are recovered.

Partitions are kind of hard to catch, but I have caught a few.

270 cal 130's on BIG mule deer, & 150 on an elk, up close & at a distance.

MM

I've encountered a problem or two with bullets on deer: decent mule deer buck shot in the shoulder (broadside) with a 270 at 50 yards. Using a 150 grain Speer Grand Slam that had a complete jacket separation/breakup on the fore shoulder. The buck stumbled and then went downhill 200 yards into a hole that made it a real problem getting out (I was hunting by myself). Never used them again! Also had a 150 grain Speer out of a 30-06 that failed to penetrate a spine from a steep angle (canyon hunting near Kaycee, Wyoming). Instead the bullet deflected along the spine finally blowing out a bunch of hair on the rump. Yes, the deer was paralyzed but required a finisher after I hiked on down to it. I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.
Originally Posted by PJGunner

PJ

Maybe you could site some of those examples for our benefit.
Scenars for one. Read his opinion on them then read the ongoing thread on here.
Originally Posted by MWN

I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.

Yes, but your say that you want dependable, clean kills...............

You should switch to Partitions & you'll have better, more consistent performance, or at least Accubonds.

Also, I don't know what iteration of Speer GS's you had but there have been several...............the best by far were the 1st & 2nd iteration starting from around 1980 or so, as I recall.

Latter ones have not been so good.

Cup & core bullets are what they are & that's usually somewhat erratic.................pay your money, take your choice.

Partitions & AB's don't blow up.

MM
Speer HotCors for the win.
How do you break both shoulders and have a DTR by also hitting the spine?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

The Poor Man's Partition!
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by MWN

I prefer my shots to be clean kills and expect a bullet to be able to penetrate some bone to get into the boiler room.

Yes, but your say that you want dependable, clean kills...............

You should switch to Partitions & you'll have better, more consistent performance
MM

MWN is the OP. You know, the guy that started this thread by posting pics of Partition he killed deer with.

LoL.

Nice pics though MM. Remarkably consistent looking for the weight and range differential.
Originally Posted by reivertom
I found three old boxes of 180 grain .357 Nosler Partitions at a local mom and pop shop, that are no longer available. I want to use them in a 35-30 wildcat rifle (similar to the .35 Rem.), so I contacted Nosler about how fast I can push them. The response was, "there is no limit for that bullet out of a rifle."

They were partition golds. They had a steel cup inside over the lead core I believe. My 686 loved them.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Well, OK, if you say so; I'll stay with Partitions & AB's, TSX or Hornady interlocks if I'm slumming.

I did use Speer GS's back in the time qhen they were good, also slept at a Holiday Inn one day last week too.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM
For deer?

Hahahaha!

All we used were PowerPoints and corelokts before we started reloading.

Them west side deers must be tougher'n hell.
Ya can't overkill 'em......................

Can't over penetrate either, so I hear.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Ya can't overkill 'em......................

Can't over penetrate either, so I hear.

MM

Is that the pre-9/11 ammo or the post-9/11 ammo???
© 24hourcampfire