Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Recovered under the off-side hide. It's a .270 Nosler 150 grain. Fired from a 22" barrel about a grain back from max.

Shot broadside into a large bodied whitetail buck at 300 yards. Broke both shoulders and it went down in a heap. The bullet was an obvious lump on the off side.

The recovered bullet weighed 93 grains (62%). The front of the bullet opened until the mantle. The jacket peeled back with four petals. The max width of the expansion was .584 (although it was ~oval shaped and thus thinner in the middle).

About what you'd expect out of a Nosler partition and I enjoy doing bullet autopsies when I can.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But what about all of that lead you'll be eating???🤣🤣🤣

Looks good to me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MWN
Recovered under the off-side hide. It's a .270 Nosler 150 grain. Fired from a 22" barrel about a grain back from max.

Shot broadside into a large bodied whitetail buck at 300 yards. Broke both shoulders and it went down in a heap. The bullet was an obvious lump on the off side.

The recovered bullet weighed 93 grains (62%). The front of the bullet opened until the mantle. The jacket peeled back with four petals. The max width of the expansion was .584 (although it was ~oval shaped and thus thinner in the middle).

About what you'd expect out of a Nosler partition and I enjoy doing bullet autopsies when I can.

Good shot and well done on the pics MWN.

So, impact velocity 2,200 - 2,300 fps?

What exactly "Broke" on both shoulders"?

Since you like digging bullets outa stuff to gauge performance, check out this site, you will spend days going through things:

The 150 grain Partition is a truly outstanding bullet. A key factor to extracting this performance is to ensure hand loads are running at muzzle velocities of 2900fps or higher. This projectile is spectacular when used on light game, absolutely emphatic on heavier animals of up to 150kg. On heavier animals up to the size of Elk, the 150 grain Partition is one of the best bullets available in .270 caliber. For a long time I have debated this internally. The .270 is in some ways a light cartridge for large bodied game, it is certainly lighter than a 7mm Remington Magnum loaded with the 160-175 grain Partition or a .30-06 loaded with a 180 grain bullet. For many years, I preferred to ere on the side of caution and recommend the Barnes in the .270 for use on tough game. Yet after many years and having seen many tough animals downed with the violent wounding Partition, this bullet still proves its merit with an ability to produce wide wounding and deep penetration on large bodied deer and tough wild boar with armor plated shoulder shields. Furthermore, this performance can be pushed out to considerable ranges, down to impact velocities of 1800fps although wounding is at its most violent at 2200fps and above.

My one concern with the Nosler 150 grain Partition is that it can be so good, that it can lead to over confidence in the .270 cartridge. Similar notes of this nature can be found in the 6.5x55 text. Sometimes, when a bullet performs extremely well, there is a risk of eventually pushing a cartridge beyond its limitations. Therefore, it is recommended that while great performance can be expected from the 150 grain Partition on large bodied medium game, hunters should exercise circumspection.

Terminal Ballistics Research

MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The deer carcass was donated to a local church so I don't know the extent of the internal damage. That it went down DRT indicating to me that spinal cord took damage. And yes, I'd place the velocity between 2200-2300 fps.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I recovered a 270 interlock yesterday👍👍

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by MWN

Good shot and well done on the pics MWN.

So, impact velocity 2,200 - 2,300 fps?

What exactly "Broke" on both shoulders"?

Since you like digging bullets outa stuff to gauge performance, check out this site, you will spend days going through things:

The 150 grain Partition is a truly outstanding bullet. A key factor to extracting this performance is to ensure hand loads are running at muzzle velocities of 2900fps or higher. This projectile is spectacular when used on light game, absolutely emphatic on heavier animals of up to 150kg. On heavier animals up to the size of Elk, the 150 grain Partition is one of the best bullets available in .270 caliber. For a long time I have debated this internally. The .270 is in some ways a light cartridge for large bodied game, it is certainly lighter than a 7mm Remington Magnum loaded with the 160-175 grain Partition or a .30-06 loaded with a 180 grain bullet. For many years, I preferred to ere on the side of caution and recommend the Barnes in the .270 for use on tough game. Yet after many years and having seen many tough animals downed with the violent wounding Partition, this bullet still proves its merit with an ability to produce wide wounding and deep penetration on large bodied deer and tough wild boar with armor plated shoulder shields. Furthermore, this performance can be pushed out to considerable ranges, down to impact velocities of 1800fps although wounding is at its most violent at 2200fps and above.

My one concern with the Nosler 150 grain Partition is that it can be so good, that it can lead to over confidence in the .270 cartridge. Similar notes of this nature can be found in the 6.5x55 text. Sometimes, when a bullet performs extremely well, there is a risk of eventually pushing a cartridge beyond its limitations. Therefore, it is recommended that while great performance can be expected from the 150 grain Partition on large bodied medium game, hunters should exercise circumspection.

Terminal Ballistics Research

Who writes that garbage on “Terminal Ballistics Research”?

Here’s a nice snippet on the 270 that sounds like it was written by a complete idiot:

“Most pre 9/11 ammunition produced very poor performance on game. The combination of low muzzle velocities, non aerodynamic bullet designs and the trend towards 22” barrels all took a toll on performance. At close ranges this ammunition performed adequately but at ranges beyond 100 yards, kills could be very slow. At 200 yards, lean bodied animals would often show no sign of a bullet strike whatsoever and escape to cover. Many hunters would have been fooled by what seemed like a complete miss when using this ammunition of the past.”

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
BS. 270 won't kill nothing bigger than coyotes. Heard it on tha Far. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
With a Post 64 Win FWT with the Schnable forearm I retrieved two Hornaday Interlocks from the old Frontier Cartridge Co and nice sized Whitetail bucks. 140 gr IIRC.

First jumped up and I got a Texas heart shot that resulted in a knot under the bucks neck skin which fell out on the floor when he was skinned.

The second was a smaller Central Texas buck that was coming toward me and hit at the front base of the neck. That shot resulted in a knot under the bucks butt skin and also rolled out on the floor when it was skinned.

My young high school aged brother talked me into selling the gun to him cheap and after graduating and getting a job in the oil field he ended up killing 3 or 4 bull elk in Colorado with the same rig and cartridges.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
That's typical Nosler performance....absolute perfection!
Been using them for over 60 years and have never been disappointed. Put that bullet in the right place and get your knife out, there's work to be done.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Why don't you read his bio for yourself.

Nathan & Stephanie Foster
Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

Here's a "nice snippet" you missed because you didn't:

As I write these lines, Steph and I have accounted for over eight thousand head of medium to large game since we first started hunting together way back in 1991. Our wonderful daughter Riley also helps in the field and is always a pleasure to work with. We have been infinitely blessed to have such a magnificent soul in our lives.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/25/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I recovered a 270 interlock yesterday👍👍

Pics?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

As I write these lines, Steph and I have accounted for over eight thousand head of medium to large game since we first started hunting together way back in 1991. Our wonderful daughter Riley also helps in the field and is always a pleasure to work with. We have been infinitely blessed to have such a magnificent soul in our lives.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Do you really believe .270’s were unreliable killers past 100???

And that it was somehow affected by 9/11???

Gullible AF.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Gullible AF.

Obviously you didn't read the entire history he is describing.

Learn to read you numskull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Gullible AF.

Obviously you didn't read the entire history he is describing.

Learn to read you numskull.

Good God, your B.S. detector is terrible.

But next time you want to impress someone behind the counter of your local Cabelas Outpost, be sure to bring up “pre” and “post” 9/11 ammo…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Urenui, Taranaki,
New Zealand

Well good thing they get within 100 yards with their 270s, otherwise they might have only harvested one thousand animals... How many animals have been harvested by the Greener? I've heard they work best at close range as well.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who cares to learn stuff about bullet terminal performance, suggest you read through Terminal Ballistics Research

Another good site for bullet terminal performance is Nosler Forum. Besides good information, it has the added advantage of knowledgeable and polite posters.

MWN, you started a good thread. Bullet terminal performance is an interesting subject. Post those pics in the Nosler Forum, they will be delighted.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/25/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who cares to learn stuff about bullet terminal performance, suggest you read through Terminal Ballistics Research

Another good site for bullet terminal performance is Nosler Forum. Besides good information, it has the added advantage of knowledgeable and polite posters.

MWN, you started a good thread. Bullet terminal performance is an interesting subject. Post those pics in the Nosler Forum, they will be delighted.

I thought you were an odd duck from the beginning, much like myself, and many gave you grief for your excessive threads about current events, but most thread bearers in the HC fall into that definition, so I gave you a pass, and I usually saw some sense of logical continuance in you, but now...I seriously cannot decide if you are a bot or an inept twat. I'm currently leaning toward the idea that you are a bot programed by inept twats.

Please, describe in single words only, the good things that come into your mind, about your mother.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In rural Alaska the 270 is a standard carry for anything that walks,,150gr factory or loaded enhaces it all the more,, my sister in law take a moose most years with her 270!

I tend to use more than enough gun
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
At best, that NZ stuff reads like AI trying to write about ballistics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my next projects is to load up 270 with 150 grain Nosler partitions with some R-26. I am hoping for some good results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.