Home
Posted By: gunzo Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I miss it. Wonder if they can survive a 2 year crop shortage. Impossible to find here for that long.

Working with a Texas Pete rendition now & it's passable but miss what I used for years. Chile & homemade veg. soup season in full swing now & those two are my biggest users for the sauce. Hoping Huy Fong can make it back.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I was able to get two bottles from Jeff Bezos.

Might ask him.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Bought mine from our local Asian supermarket last week. Its slowly returning to inventory around here.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Saw some at Winco the other day. They had a 2 bottle limit. I meant to grab some but got distracted. Hadn't seen any in over a year.

I also found some retumbo today but it was $60/pound. Still bought 3 even at that price so I can start shooting my 28 nosler some more.

Bb
Posted By: sidepass Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Been missing their garlic chili sauce. Have a temp sub.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Hell Jim, I've seen it around.... at bootleg prices. Guess I should have said I miss it at normal prices.

Lookin like I might have to trade some primers or H4350 for a bottle.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I have a bottle of the Tabasco version.
Posted By: fester Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by sidepass
Been missing their garlic chili sauce. Have a temp sub.
It’s a staple in my fridge.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
There is a YouTube show on the shortage , I guess they got greedy and dropped the contract with the grower they had been using since the start for cheaper growers. Well the new growers couldn’t grow chit, so now no Siracha. The original grower is now making Siracha under its own label since there was never a trademark on the name. They screened themselves good.

Edit - underwood farms has a clone of the original for sale.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
HEB has it off and on, when 5hey have it you need to snatch up 2 or 3 because it might be a few weeks before they get more in.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by stxhunter
HEB has it off and on, when 5hey have it you need to snatch up 2 or 3 because it might be a few weeks before they get more in.
You fat fingered that, Rog. What you weighing now anyway?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
You need some biscuits and gravy, son. How tall are you?
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
The Tabasco version is excellent, maybe better than real Huy Fong Ot.

Most of the others don't cut it.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
The only version I've ever had is Tabasco and I think it's good.

Wife bought it after I told her about a Srirachi thread.
Posted By: fester Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by Anaconda
The Tabasco version is excellent, maybe better than real Huy Fong Ot.

Most of the others don't cut it.
I’m going to do the Tabasco factory tour tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
There is a YouTube show on the shortage , I guess they got greedy and dropped the contract with the grower they had been using since the start for cheaper growers. Well the new growers couldn’t grow chit, so now no Siracha. The original grower is now making Siracha under its own label since there was never a trademark on the name. They screened themselves good.

They never did ask Huy Fong about the situation.
I have the Tabasco version.....I don't like it.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I made my own this summer. Had to air the house out. Thought SWAT had tear- gassed the place. Ended up quite a bit hotter than the original.
Posted By: ejo Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23

+1

No Huy Fong for me. I work in the industry and his product is not allowed in my house.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They never did ask Huy Fong about the situation.

I’ll admit it was a pretty one sided story, but Huy Fong did loose the lawsuit with Underwood.

I was just curious why I couldn’t buy Siracha. Now I can’t find any Chinese BBQ pork in town so no fried rice for me.
Food for five years, 1000 gallons of gasoline, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counters, bomb shelter. And there's a gotdamn Sriracha shortage.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by gunzo
Food for five years, 1000 gallons of gasoline, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counters, bomb shelter. And there's a gotdamn Sriracha shortage.
How's the TP supply in the bomb shelter? grin
Stocked before the episode of course.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: EdM Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23

Two weekends here. No three, tossing the beer.
I know. Bought a case of Costco Imported Vodka, six 1.75L, thought I was set. Had previously tested & knew it was pretty good. Surprised at how quickly it disappeared.
You need some biscuits and gravy, son. How tall are you?
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Huy Fong’s Sriracha sauce, is a remake of an extremely similar , extremely popular sauce made in…. Si Racha Thailand. Sriracha Panich has been making their sauce since 1935. That sauce, is a remake of an extremely similar, extremely popular sauce made in Guangdong province around the turn of the 19th century.

In this particular case, I say if the Huy Fong sauce isn’t available, just get whatever is available. Sriracha sauce is at best, a tasty copy of a copy that has existed for over a century.

I’m personally using three different Thai varieties, even though they’re just a bit on the sweet side.
Posted By: deflave Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23

At least there are no underground monsters.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23

Is that the tail end of the fall guy’s truck in that pic?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I went through a couple bottles of it years ago. Found that it was way too garlicky to use on many foods. Went back to regular hot sauces. Faves are Arizona Gunslinger, Crystal, Frank's, Tapatio, Texas Pete, and Cholula. Happy with any of those, so there's little chance I'll ever be without.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
It's good on sushi, too. Has there been a shortage of the stuff or something?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
I’ve been buying the Texas Pete version. Like it just fine.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Apparently Tran didn’t like his contract prices while watching the fruit sell for less on the spot market.

Now the spot market is dried up and yields are down and Hi Dong can’t get enough peppers to meet demand.

Sucks for him.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
just don't like the garlic in that brand. I'm still making my own Tabasco pepper sauce, and it's better and hotter than any of the commercial sauces using that pepper.
Originally Posted by deflave

Ahh, Flave knows Burt
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Easy Burt, Easy.
"Is that Fall Guys truck"

FG's was chocolate & gold. This short box is black & tan.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
seems you're set for a bit gunzo. could always get another case or two of TP & Vodka for bartering when it's safe to come out.
Posted By: deflave Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by deflave

Ahh, Flave knows Burt

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 11/30/23
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
just don't like the garlic in that brand. I'm still making my own Tabasco pepper sauce, and it's better and hotter than any of the commercial sauces using that pepper.

I always get Sambal Oelek which is simply peppers, vinegar and salt
Huy Fong adds nitrite now but no garlic
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/07/23

It was my first and only until I read this thread. Now I no longer like it.

Just did a taste test on some chicken.

Winner from left to right, top to bottom.

Underwood and Huy Fong are close, Tabasco is not.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: gunzo Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/07/23
Originally Posted by SamOlson

It was my first and only until I read this thread. Now I no longer like it.

Just did a taste test on some chicken.

Winner from left to right, top to bottom.

Underwood and Huy Fong are close, Tabasco is not.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Cool info. Underwood supposedly using Huy Fongs recipe, lawsuits n chit are happening. Thanks for the Tabasco report, seems you might have a good palate. Some would say, to hell with all that tasting, juss gimme a bottle of dollar store ketchup.

Sadly, Underwood products not making it E., of the Missisip yet.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Picked up a bottle of huy fong Friday at Winco in Idaho Falls. It was about $5 for a 17 ounce bottle and had a 2 bottle limit. I came home and did a taste test against the other brand I'd been using since the shortage and then threw the other brand out. I then made some Pho' and enjoyed it the way I always used to with huy long and horses sauce and some fresh Thai basil. Good to have the stuff I started with years ago back.

There was a Vietnamese restaurant in Boise that my brother introduced me to Pho' at in about 2001. That's when I first had huy fong Sriracha. I think that restaurant burned down a few years back but they had the absolute best egg roles. You wrapped them in lettuce and dipped them in fishsauce.

I've never had ones as good anywhere since and that includes Vietnam and homemade ones that a Vietnamese girl in went to grad school with used to make. Those ones in Boise had the best crisp but bubbly and chewy shell on them and filled with a course ground garlic pork and mushooms.

Bb
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I made my own this summer. Had to air the house out. Thought SWAT had tear- gassed the place. Ended up quite a bit hotter than the original.

Be thankful you don't live in Irwindale, CA.

Sriracha hot sauce production declared public nuisance by California city.

The hot sauce apocalypse looms again. Officials in California have declared the production of sriracha, the wildly popular chili sauce, a public nuisance because of the smell.

Irwindale's city council voted unanimously on Wednesday night to give the manufacturer an ultimatum to reduce the odour itself or have officials march in and do it themselves.

The company defiantly strung a banner outside its facility stating “No tear gas made here,” a reference to complaints about stinging eyes and throats.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

The hot sauce apocalypse looms again. Officials in California have declared the production of sriracha, the wildly popular chili sauce, a public nuisance because of the smell.

Irwindale's city council voted unanimously on Wednesday night to give the manufacturer an ultimatum to reduce the odour itself or have officials march in and do it themselves.

The company defiantly strung a banner outside its facility stating “No tear gas made here,” a reference to complaints about stinging eyes and throats.

Golly...they city might should not have taken bribes for the zoning commission.

Huy Fong was in the country before they decided to build around it.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23

That was 10 years ago. Long since settled.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23

It's obvious that you don't know sheit about Irwindale, CA. Or what has happened in the last decade or so, as you repeated the same tropes that the media did as a way to shutdown a good business. The only things in Irwindale are freeways and industrial buildings, and they usually are right next to each other, obviously. Only idiots would consider a 'domicile' in the locale, and then bitch about what's going on at 3AM as they fill trucks for deliveries.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
i hates Huy Fong Sriracha... i thinks it's the Garlic... Yeiulche!!!
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

I've heard that a couple times before, but I always understand it to be those who are without class or culture... I'd hate to eat among your family dinners if you think Huy Fong has too much Garlic...as you probably think Ketchup is spicy, and for that your head has to be more square than a cinder block.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

I've heard that a couple times before, but I always understand it to be those who are without class or culture... I'd hate to eat among your family dinners if you think Huy Fong has too much Garlic...as you probably think Ketchup is spicy, and for that your head has to be more square than a cinder block.
Classless? naw, that stuff just tastes like dogschit to me, too Spicy? No... to each his own though... Enjoy!...
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
If Tabasco Texas Pete Crystal aren't yalls thing can't help yall. And whoever thought bbq sauce should be hot and spicy they need help.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Is there anyone else here besides me who didn’t even know something called sriracha even existed before this thread?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Is there anyone else here besides me who didn’t even know something called sriracha even existed before this thread?

No
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

It's obvious that you don't know sheit about Irwindale, CA. Or what has happened in the last decade or so, as you repeated the same tropes that the media did as a way to shutdown a good business. The only things in Irwindale are freeways and industrial buildings, and they usually are right next to each other, obviously. Only idiots such as yourself would consider a 'domicile' in the locale, and then bitch about what's going on at 3AM as they fill trucks for deliveries.

Sheesh - no need go full-blown Ballistik pard

I merely posted to support DennisinAZ's observation that the stuff produces nasty aroma and can cause symptoms approaching being tear-gassed.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Sriracha does have a lot of garlic. So does kimchi and lots of other foods. Garlic is good stuff, but not on or with everything. Same with hot sauce. Where they fit, hot sauce and garlic are perfect. Sometimes even garlicky hot sauce like sriracha.

Just don't drizzle it on your corn flakes.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
To all the Cocksauce haters:

In the immortal words of our friend robertham1:

Posted By: pavementends Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Always amazed by how many here use dog s**t as a comparison. Why did you taste dog s**t in the first place?
Posted By: gunzo Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/11/23
Absolutely. Well, except the CF thing. If ya like it on CF go for it.

I regularly use about 4 or 5 different hot sauces & each one has it's place. What I love in homemade veggie soup or stew of that type may not be worth a damn in a Bloody Mary or a hot wing sauce.

Before all the pop up Oriental restaurants in my area I once had a oriental dish in the cafeteria at Toyota Motor Mfg. that I really liked. Made it many times at home & just couldn't get it right. Tabasco, Franks, etc. all failed to please. Then I decided on one more try using Sriracha. Bingo! Hell, the more of it I used the better the dish got. But I'll not put it in a BM again.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/12/23
I found a bottle at my grocery store after when seemed like years out of stock. The founder is from Vietnam, he came to the US on a Panamanian freighter named Hoy Fong. Penniless to millions over his life span. Owners (daughter now) fell out with the farmer locally who grew their peppers, the farmer now sells is how version of the siracha.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/12/23
There's not too many hot sauces that I dislike other than ones that are stupid hot with little flavor.
First hot sauce I tried, and fell in love with, was Tabasco. Palm tree restaurant in Anjo City, Japan of all places. Ordered a pizza that was very bland. All it took was a couple shakes of that bottle from Avery Island to make all the difference. Not many pizza joints around here have Tabasco so I usually carry my own bottle.
Throughout my childhood the only spices allowed by my dad was salt and black pepper. Maybe some garlic if my mom could sneak it in.
Sriracha is perfect for Asian dishes. A local Chinese place makes some kick-azz hot and sour soup but sometimes it's lacking the heat. A generous dose of Sriracha tunes it right up.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Huy Fong Sriracha - 12/12/23
Sriracha on some, sambal oelek on others !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

**[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These liltle bastards'll open your eyes wide, too !
© 24hourcampfire