Home
If hunters in the effected states quit buying deer tags and other hunting licenses, States Deer Deputies would feel the crunch. It’s all about the money…
No. You live in a state run by leftwards and they set your game laws.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
You’re an idiot.

The wolf is under control of the Federal Government and the States have no authority to manage it.

Now go fuqk yourself you ignorant fuqk.
Originally Posted by viking
If hunters in the effected states quit buying deer tags and other hunting licenses, States Deer Deputies would feel the crunch. It’s all about the money…

That may be what is wanted. Many CO’s I see these days in well pressed uniforms and shiney new trucks seem much more involved handing out tickets at the boat landings on sunny days than trudging thru cold mud and early snows to check deer hunters in the many bush deer camps.

30-40 years ago the Wardens I helped from time to time were a very impressive bunch of do what it takes people. Now a days sitting clean and quiet tagging ATV riders as they pass by seems the mainstay.

My place in the northern remote bush of MN has seen first the decimation of the moose, then the deer herd in the last 30 years with the unchecked rise of the wolf population. My 2 mile long private driveway bridges low areas where moose pictures by the handful were taken, deer were stupid thick. Used to be. The wolves have gotten very good at killing bears as well, but at least bears can climb to safety unlike the ungulates.

It’s sad to see the rise of an uncontrolled apex predator and the damage/change it can cause, sort of a metaphor for other things happening these days?

Osky
But golly gee whiz uff da hotdish doncha know the woofie numbers have stayed exactly the same for years and years.....I agree with Osky, the mndnr has little interest in seeing hunting continue. All by design if you ask me.
Don’t carry a cell phone or watch and start shooting said wolves with a rifle that will penetrate through and through and leave no ballistic evidence. Make the shot, do not check on said wolf, do no care if it is wounded or dead, and walk the other way quickly. And do not drive anywhere near said wolf in a vehicle made after 1997 or so.
Originally Posted by viking

There is truth to this but it is also true the end goal is to put a stop to hunting all together. So “they” win no matter what. Maybe a campaign showing how viciously a pack of wolves take down their prey and consume them while they are still alive. But that would take money and organization.
Originally Posted by steve4102
You’re an idiot.

The wolf is under control of the Federal Government and the States have no authority to manage it.

Not exactly smart guy, wolves used to be hunted in MN but the libs are keeping it from happening now, basically Tim Waltz. If what you say is true then why can you hunt them in 3 western states? That’s right, states can manage them.
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by steve4102
You’re an idiot.

Not exactly smart guy, wolves used to be hunted in MN but the libs are keeping it from happening now, basically Tim Waltz. If what you say is true then why can you hunt them in 3 western states? That’s right, states can manage them.
LOL
Wolves are tough on yarded deer here in the winter. After that the spring comes and wolves go into overtime hunting for the new pups. Moose calves and fawns are pretty easy pickings.
In all fairness bears are very good fawn killers as are our bobcats and remaining coyotes. 4-5 lb newborns are an opening snack tender and juicy.

Without dangers to the pack such as hunting there is not the fear of man there once was. That leaves them able to hunt 24/7 where the daylight hours used to be a time deer could move, feed, then hunker down and be less obvious to the predators. Adding daylight hunting to wolves really brings all senses to bear and gives prey no break. With multiple hungry numbers they are a daunting force.
I’ve heard them here all my life, seen sign. These days the frequency they cross the lake out front here during daylight is remarkable. Nothing seems to phase them any more.

I witnessed a pack of 4 make a kill years ago on a big doe. It was incredible and quick they way it was done. They are proficient to say the least. I’ve heard two kills happening I couldn’t see, another deer once and a cow moose birthing where both cow and calf were killed. They do not often fail nor give up.

Osky
Originally Posted by Nollij
But golly gee whiz uff da hotdish doncha know the woofie numbers have stayed exactly the same for years and years.....I agree with Osky, the mndnr has little interest in seeing hunting continue. All by design if you ask me.

There’s lots of reasons the Mn deer population sucks, wolves being one of them.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Don’t carry a cell phone or watch and start shooting said wolves with a rifle that will penetrate through and through and leave no ballistic evidence. Make the shot, do not check on said wolf, do no care if it is wounded or dead, and walk the other way quickly. And do not drive anywhere near said wolf in a vehicle made after 1997 or so.

^^That's how ya do it. One was killed north of Medford Oregon last week. US Fish and Wildlife have no clues to go on so are making offers on tv for a 5,000 dollar reward for rat out info.
We are going to have to understand wolves for what they actually are today. They are no longer flesh and blood animals to be protected or hunted, or managed. They are atavistic representations of an idealized world without humans raised to near sacred status by anti human cultists. As such, these people react to the killing of a wolf in the same way a religious devotee would react to the desecration of a sacred object. It isn’t rational and they really do care more about the wolves, or at least what they represent, than they do you. They want you gone from the face of the earth.
This has been the plan of the anti's since long before the wolf introduction. The plan was to use large predators to reduce game animals to the level where hunting would have to be stopped. It didn't work so well in the northern Rockies but it seems to be working in MN. Now they're putting more wolves in CO to thin out the elk.
There is no reason for a Wolf to exist.

I have seen them destroy the best Mule deer hunting I have seen in a couple years.
It isn't the Wolves that need to disappear.
LOL? So I’m wrong?
Cell phone location or any other location device is not enough evidence to convict you. Your big mouth will though. If questioned, do not lie. Simply say "I am not going to make a statement". Then ask if you are being detained. If they say no then you say "I want you to leave" or if you are not on your property just walk away, get in your truck, and leave.

Once you say you are not going to make a statement, don't.

Your big mouth can certainly convict you and some officers will add their version of what you said.

This is one subject that I know whereof I speak.
Originally Posted by dale06

Correct, reduction in logging and a few tough winters aren’t helping either.

But these guys that say that it’s only the Feds are wrong, states play a major role in whether or not they can be hunted.
Originally Posted by 673

I have seen them destroy the best Mule deer hunting I have seen in a couple years.

673;
Top of the morning to you my friend, if you're getting the soggy weather like we are, I hope the fire's burning bright for you all and that you're all well.

We've had wolves here for about a decade now, maybe a couple years more, but this season we were cutting their tracks everywhere. That's both east of us over into the West Kettle and up on the Aberdeen Plateau country too. Crazy amount of wolf tracks in both areas.

Have never seen so few mulies in 40 years and I mean no tracks in fresh snow for miles.

Something moved the elk herd right out of the entire drainage too.

Saw photos of a young fellow I taught CORE to a few years back who took a big one that came into his elk calling back in September.

For the first time ever during the last week of whitetail season I had a wolf howl back to me and then come in. It made a half circle in the timber, but I didn't see it ever.

Unless we get too much snow so we can't get in, we're going to see if we can call again.

Lots of coyotes up there too this year.

I'm not sure we can shoot enough of them to put a dent in their population, but we'll give it a go.

All the best.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Hastings
Cell phone location or any other location device is not enough evidence to convict you. Your big mouth will though. If questioned, do not lie. Simply say "I am not going to make a statement". Then ask if you are being detained. If they say no then you say "I want you to leave" or if you are not on your property just walk away, get in your truck, and leave.

Your big mouth can certainly convict you and some officers will add their version of what you said.

No, it isn’t enough, but it is enough to put you in the time and place and to draw scrutiny. And when they dig that 6.5 bullet out of a tree and match it to the brand and lot of ammo you purchased before deer season at Academy, you will be schit out of luck. Or whatever else they figure out by looking at you a little closer and leaning on some of those around you.

You must assume with wolves these days that considerable resources will be brought to bear to find a killer. It will be more akin to a human murder investigation than something involving an animal. They’re the feds. They have unlimited money and unlimited resources.
Shooting them isn't going to work, at least not conventional shooting.

Just wait until (they) begin to tell you the best way to manage the Wolf pops is to keep the game pops low.
i hunt and also live and hear wolves sometimes at night. in the old days we the people of Minnesota shot ,trapped ,and poisoned wolves all year long and for many years we kept the wolves at bay , but now we have way to many wolves probably closer to 4,000 wolves and a much smaller deer herd in Minnesota ,less elk , moose ,bear ,beaver and deer in the N.W. Minnesota too. that`s all B.S. about those charts and studies those are liberal DNR employees protecting wolves including Governor Walz in Minnesota with those charts , i live here in this Liberal controlled state with the Twin Cities population where there is no wolves. the liberal anti movement is winning over us the hunters , trappers and protectors of who once controlled the wolf population in northern Minnesota ,Montana , Wisconsin and the rest of the American hunting land.
Originally Posted by 673
Shooting them isn't going to work, at least not conventional shooting.

Just wait until (they) begin to tell you the best way to manage the Wolf pops is to keep the game pops low.

I have to agree.

In North central Nebraska near our hunting spot, two neighbors took out 112 coyotes last winter. Claimed it didn't seem to make a dent.

Okay, since I'm apparently ill equipped to understand all the angles to this topic let me ask you a question.

Do you believe what the state tells us every year concerning the wolf numbers? I don't know what the exact number is, but I don't believe the 2800 number for a second, and have not fof years.

If you do, you help the state get away with it every year, and are the Minnesotan I fear the most. A thin veneer of conservative with a pile of DFL just under the surface.

If you don't, then why did you feel it necessary to tell me things I already know? I'll wager it's because I made fun of your uff da and hotdish. You betcha.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by 673

673;
Top of the morning to you my friend, if you're getting the soggy weather like we are, I hope the fire's burning bright for you all and that you're all well.

We've had wolves here for about a decade now, maybe a couple years more, but this season we were cutting their tracks everywhere. That's both east of us over into the West Kettle and up on the Aberdeen Plateau country too. Crazy amount of wolf tracks in both areas.

Have never seen so few mulies in 40 years and I mean no tracks in fresh snow for miles.

Saw photos of a young fellow I taught CORE to a few years back who took a big one that came into his elk calling back in September.

For the first time ever during the last week of whitetail season I had a wolf howl back to me and then come in. It made a half circle in the timber, but I didn't see it ever.

Unless we get too much snow so we can't get in, we're going to see if we can call again.

I'm not sure we can shoot enough of them to put a dent in their population, but we'll give it a go.

All the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne
Good luck in the quest. I have hunted and taken wolves in the lower 48. The good trappers are the ones who need to be enlisted for control. Snares are a great option. Those guys will get it done.
For hunting methods the best I’ve seen by far are the guys who can “talk” wolf. I certainly am not one of them but those talented few can bring them in. Done by mouth and horn no machine. There is a guy here I know who uses many different horns to not be too repetitive of any one sound. We can’t shoot but he is hired quite often by different photographers.
Second to that is over bait but that takes a lot of time and does not usually give the opportunity of multiples good howlers can produce.
No science in the above just my personal thoughts and experience. If you look at the record when Minnesota attempted a very limited draw only season on wolves for a couple years back around 2012-13 the hunters were allowed first out of the gate, trappers would follow if the quota was unmet if I recall. Either way the vast majority were taken and the quotas quickly filled by trapping.
160user here has posted his wolf pics from that period, he was one of the lucky to draw a tag.

However it can be managed you will see the results in short order.

Osky
Originally Posted by Hastings

No, it isn’t enough, but it is enough to put you in the time and place and to draw scrutiny. And when they dig that 6.5 bullet out of a tree and match it to the brand and lot of ammo you purchased before deer season at Academy, you will be schit out of luck. Or whatever else they figure out by looking at you a little closer and leaning on some of those around you.

You must assume with wolves these days that considerable resources will be brought to bear to find a killer. It will be more akin to a human murder investigation than something involving an animal. They’re the feds. They have unlimited money and unlimited resources.
I won't say they cannot make a case, but it is highly unlikely if you can just keep your trap shut. Good luck on finding a bullet when you don't know exactly where the animal or the shooter were standing. I did pin a shooting on a man one time when he shot a fellow hunter and denied it, but that shooter was in a tree stand and the exact shootee location was known. We got the matching empty case from under the tree and I put up a flag exactly where the bullet entered the victim. We mowed the area behind the victim location. I got into the stand with a scoped rifle and put the crosshairs on the flag. With a metal detector the matching bullet was located exactly where my crosshairs met the soft dirt.

Out in the wilds of Montana or Minnesota finding a bullet would be terribly unlikely.

Once again, do NOT make a statement.
Interesting how global warming is a major problem; until they need severe winters to help explain away a different problem.

No way that the wolf numbers are remaining the same.

Also interesting that Minnesota had quite a few severe winters before the reintroduction of wolves and the deer populations didn't nosedive and stay there.

Anyone who thinks university wolf study programs aren't wolf advocacy groups is fooling themselves.

Okay, since I'm apparently ill equipped to understand all the angles to this topic let me ask you a question.

Do you believe what the state tells us every year concerning the wolf numbers? I don't know what the exact number is, but I don't believe the 2800 number for a second, and have not fof years.

If you do, you help the state get away with it every year, and are the Minnesotan I fear the most. A thin veneer of conservative with a pile of DFL just under the surface.

If you don't, then why did you feel it necessary to tell me things I already know? I'll wager it's because I made fun of your uff da and hotdish. You betcha.

I have never believed the state numbers. Have you noticed we do not hear of the supposedly very rare wandering wolves anymore? Leaving the northern Zone? It’s become all too common they are moving into Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and beyond. I do not believe a stable population would be expanding like that.

I have family up in Princeton among other places in the state that have had wolves on cameras continuously now for years. For all that have moved or expanded there are still far too many in the far north. It just does not add up.

I did not take any offense to anything you said? I don’t get that way over words in forums, contexts often not truly understood. I do not mean to offend, not my way. I just relate experiences and thoughts as I see them. I keep a sense of humor.
The only time I judge is a handshake and the glint in that man’s eye in front of me.

Osky

Edited, I apologize Nol… I mistook your first word for Osky. Sorry.
Osky;
Good morning sir, I hope you're getting seasonally tolerable weather and all who matter to you are well.

Thanks for the reply and info sir, I definitely need all the help I can get - and then some! wink

Regarding trappers, I saw a photo that was sent to a young friend by one of the chaps trapping just northeast of us. He had 3 or maybe it was 4 wolves and 5 coyotes on his first trip to check the sets. If I ever run into him, coffee is on me for sure.

On the calling question, in the past I've corresponded with T Inman who was most helpful and generous with his time and info regarding howling wolves.

We've been doing our level best to put holes in at least one since they showed up, but so far with no results.

The other week was the first time one actually answered back, much less came in, so I was pumped to say the least. The young fellow I was with was showing around the top of the canyon for whitetails was very generous when I threw his whitetail buck hunt into the rhubarb by calling. laugh

Strangely enough and I honestly didn't expect that to happen, but we had what we figured was 4 different coyotes start howling and yipping too. I'd thought/read/figured that the wolves eat the coyotes so they'd just shut up when wolves howled, but not that morning.

Another buddy I talked to yesterday was moose hunting a couple dozen miles north of us and had wolves howling for a couple hours he said, which was a first for him.

Way back in the '90's we started experimenting calling coyotes with a distress call, then started barking and howling to get the "hanger uppers" to come in sometimes. I love calling anything so it doesn't take much prompting to get me out trying some new methods.

We've got a 3 wolf per year limit down here by the way and up in the Cariboo Chillcotin there's no limit and open season and it still hasn't put much of a dent in them. As 673 says, I don't believe we can shoot our way out of this, but hey, every wolf gone is a few deer, moose, elk or sheep that might make the winter I figure.

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by acy
Interesting how global warming is a major problem; until they need severe winters to help explain away a different problem.

No way that the wolf numbers are remaining the same.

Also interesting that Minnesota had quite a few severe winters before the reintroduction of wolves and the deer populations didn't nosedive and stay there.

Anyone who thinks university wolf study programs aren't wolf advocacy groups is fooling themselves.

We had some terrible winters in the 70’s in particular. There were a lot of guys helping in feeding programs across the north. Season was closed here and there at times. The deer always bounce back from the winters, they aren’t bouncing back from the wolves.

Osky
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by 673

673;

All the best.

Dwayne
Just a guess, the political up here differs slightly than the political to the south of us. Not sure what the legal solution is, but I was in attendance, and addressed the "crowd" for the local "wolf information seminar" and literally thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there, and was quite willing and prepared to do so, maybe next time.

Some people are on the right track, others are not, I believe it is an attack on the hunting community and that is all.
Dwayne
Again good luck.
I’ve been with a few of those terrific wolf howlers between Minnesota and Idaho. The subtleties in what they do is really something. The coyotes around my camp in northern MN gradually got quieter as the years of the wolf increase came on. Now it’s very rare to hear them or even see a track.

Short of poison I feel only good trappers stringing cable are the only hope for knocking wolf numbers back. Some of the Alaskan/Yukon trappers would have a hay day down here if turned loose. A whole lot more candidates in a lot less territory.

Osky
673;
Thanks for the reply and additional info.

Well thanks for the morning chuckle my friend, I got a mental picture of you chucking some of the "greener" section of the crowd around and it did my heart good... laugh

Oh and I do know that's likely extremely un-Christian of me to laugh about that too 673, but again you know I'm fairly distant from perfect anything. wink

For sure and certain there's a concerted effort to end all hunting for anyone who isn't FN, that's been clear for awhile.

We've hashed that out too and I believe the FN communities are being used as pawns in the process, but hopefully enough of them will see the truth.

Again this fall we're seeing some "Active Trapline" signs up where we hunt, so I hope there's enough money in wolf fur for whomever it is to take a few out.

All the best.

Dwayne
Osky;
Thanks again for the reply, it's always good to learn stuff.

Up here one of the little political footballs being chucked with fair velocity is that the wolves are the main cause for killing off most of a rare mountain Caribou herd.

There's lots of angles to this one, for instance the feds are building a very expensive Caribou breeding center now just out of Jasper National Park or maybe within the park - not sure - to try to bring them back from the brink. The figures we've been given is perhaps as few as a dozen of them left.

Now one of the little wrinkles seems to be that there is First Nations support for taking out a bunch of the wolves, so of course the provinces and to some degree the feds too are torn between trying to virtue signal to the greenies who are at odds with the FN folks this time.

Through contacts in various parts of BC, I know some of the info on the breeding center being built and by extension some of the remedies being used to lessen the wolf numbers.

We'll see how it'll all shake out, but as mentioned it's interesting to watch.

For sure though as you and 673 have said, I don't believe we can put a meaningful hurt on even coyotes by shooting them alone. That said, I'll relate a quick one from 30 years back, again that I've got some first hand knowledge of.

There was a California Bighorn herd a few hours north of us that was being absolutely hammered by coyote predation on lambs. Something in the order of less than 12% survival sort of thing.

The bio involved was a no-nonsense old school fellow and brought in a couple trappers who had the green light to rid the area of coyotes, which they pretty much did.

Of course other coyotes from surrounding areas came in to fill the vacancy left, but what the bio found was that the new coyotes weren't specialists in eating lamb. By the time the new coyotes figured out successful sheep hunting, the herd had bounced back.

We're currently going through that to some degree here in spring with our mule deer fawns in that it appears there's some black bears who specialize in eating them. The prevailing theory is that if a few of these bears were removed, it'd help a fair bit.

We're trying to do just that Osky, but life and almost $2 / liter diesel fuel make chasing spring bears a costly activity.

Thanks again.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by cfran
LOL? So I’m wrong?

No. You're not. Wolves can and should be legally hunted in MN. States can set laws to override the Feds, even in MN. Look at the weed laws.

The problem is in MN, the state doesn't want them hunted. I'm truly starting to believe they don't want anything hunted. This is the first year in my life that I've not hunted in MN. I'm not giving them my money anymore unless something changes. And I don't think it will. I will be first in line for a wolf tag though if it ever goes back to that.

For now, there are plenty of other states worthy of my time and moeny.

^--This
Originally Posted by pete53
i live here in this Liberal controlled state with the Twin Cities population where there is no wolves. the liberal anti movement is winning over us the hunters , trappers and protectors of who once controlled the wolf population in northern Minnesota ,Montana , Wisconsin and the rest of the American hunting land.

People in MN love to claim its the TC that control MN. However, Duluth and the iron range also do. The Iron Range is coming around now that all the old DFL kooks are dying off. But it seems the Arrowhead region is taking their place. But Duluth is a liberal shi't hole and doubt it will be changed, like the metro area.
Dwayne......so the Caribou recovery program along the Rocky Mtns from the North to South was a complete sham.
When they began in the North the problem with the Caribou was......the hunting, logging, mining, snowmobiling, and basically any human activity, except the Native hunting, that was not an issue.

Then someone at the first meeting got up and said........the Caribou pops in the National parks are dwindling, but there isn't any logging, hunting, mining etc as per Federal regulation, explain that?

Of course they knew the jig was up at that point. Then as they proceeded down the Rocky Mtn trench with their meetings and "info sessions" they were met with opposition, by the time they reached my area it was already a disaster. So they cancelled the entire plan as far as I know.

The Wolves are a major issue with the Caribou, but there are other issue's, but the best lies have some truth, and that is all they have, abit of truth with a massive lie attached.
We are going to have to understand wolves for what they actually are today. They are no longer flesh and blood animals to be protected or hunted, or managed. They are atavistic representations of an idealized world without humans raised to near sacred status by anti human cultists. As such, these people react to the killing of a wolf in the same way a religious devotee would react to the desecration of a sacred object. It isn’t rational and they really do care more about the wolves, or at least what they represent, than they do you. They want you gone from the face of the earth.
JoeBob gets it. It’s a religion !
Wolf eradication was done with poison.

We're not going to shoot enough even with bounties.

This. The same reason they are restoring the wolves in the first place.

Bingo. Same reason they released Covid-19 and blocked Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin and treated with toxic meds like Remdisivir.
The original plan for Idaho called for 100 wolves, or 10 breeding pairs. Of course that was a lie. It's 15x that now. 18 months ago, Idaho enacted a law to attempt to reduce wolf numbers by 90%. Hunting and trapping are highly encouraged with liberal low cost tags and year round seasons. However, 1500 wolves scattered over 86,000 square miles doesn't put wolves behind every tree. I've only seen live ones once in 20 years although I've seen smoking fresh tracks many times. I don't live in central ID where the highest numbers are but there are quite a few here in so. central ID.
Resident tags cost $11 and there's no limit. Non-res tags are about $30, also with no limit. They made them cheap in hopes that every hunter would buy one 'just in case'. I do.
© 24hourcampfire