Home
Posted By: tzone New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Anyone have the new Tundra? Getting a new truck by fall. How do you like yours? Wondering if I should stick with the '21 and older for the 5.7l? How many miles on a used one before you think about not getting it, on a Toyota specifically?

Tow a #5500 boat most of the spring/summer and into fall. Haul a few wheelers when the boat isn't hooked up. All 3 wheelers and the trailer probably don't weigh what the boat does.

I've been keeping my trucks to 180-200K, so 5-6 years.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Can’t speak to the new one. 80k on my 2020 with just gas and oil.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
You could always buy a new Chevy for 80,000.00 Dollars.
Posted By: BLG Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Brother in law has a 2023 he bought used in Florida. Dealer owned it and it had 2300 miles on it. It's the hybrid with the turbo V6. Think it is the limited package. $72,000. Beautiful Truck. It's the pearl white with black interior. It's loaded. There were none here locally in south Louisiana, so he flew down to Naples and drove it back.

He loves it.

I don't. The windshield if very narrow. (horizontally from the dash up to the roof line) Don't feel like I see well out of it.

Other than that, he has around 12,000 on it now. Plenty of power for his needs. Pulls a 21ft bay boat no issues.

Clyde
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Bought my 16 Tundra in 18 and my 21 Tundra in 23. I look everywhere online, find the best deal and have flown out and driven back with these last 2. Didn't want a 22 or 23, don't like the new grill or the V6 at all. Just turned 30K on the 21, so, hopefully, it'll be with me for a while. Personally, I looked for 25K or less on it and a year or 2 older and saved some serious coin by doing so, compared to a new one. Completely personal preference, but that's what I did on the last 2. I did find that there's a lot of them out there!
Posted By: badger Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
They were plagued with turbo issues when first introduced. Knowing Toyota they have likely sorted that by now, but they look kind of hideous to me, both front and rear views. Also, not very fuel efficient, a typical Toyota trait.
Posted By: fester Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Originally Posted by badger
They were plagued with turbo issues when first introduced. Knowing Toyota they have likely sorted that by now, but they look kind of hideous to me, both front and rear views. Also, not very fuel efficient, a typical Toyota trait.
I also haven’t warmed up to the looks.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
We looked, drove, kicked tires, walked away...and promptly bought a used 2016, original owner with low miles off Craigslist...and left about 35k in the bank.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
I love the 2nd gen Tundra. This new one looks ugly as fugk.

As low of miles as I could find/afford. I think most all the 1/2 tons will go 250k + miles pretty easy.

Sold a f250 last year with about 200k on it. Driving an old Sierra now with somewhere around 275k.

I’m do for a newer truck as well.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Look for a 4-5 year old, clean, no-wreck Tundra 5.7 liter with 60,000-75,000 miles on it and drive it to 200,000mi with ease. With the "tow/haul" feature engaged, you won't know you've got a boat behind you.

RS
Posted By: Switch Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
The 5.7 is a real gas hog, 12.5 to 13.5 MPG. I should have bought the Chevy. Nice truck, but more if a SUV,not a real truck. I've had no problems at 90,000 miles. New ones are much better on gas and fast as hell! Ugly too!!!!!!
Posted By: broomd Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
I waited for the gen 3 Tundra like a kid on Christmas morning. Eyeballing the 'net for two years prior, reading every article and viewing every rendering. 'Excited' is an understatement. I ordered a new TRD Offroad in the Spring of '22 (I had a huge wad of cash to spend with the shale oil gains I've made since '20 and covid) and just before it arrived I bailed. The debut was brutal, total issue-related chaos.
Consumers have had nothing but problems with the new Tundra, disaster for what are normally-reliable Toyota trucks. Do your diligence and the answer is obvious. I purchased a 20k mile 2020 SR5 4WD and it is as-expected--a fabulous truck.
Maybe, m a y b e...I'll look at the '25 Tundra to see if the bugs are dealt with and that's a big maybe.
Posted By: CRAGGAR Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
I own a 2023 SR5 that i bought new in March.So far I love the truck.Only have 13000 on it but no issues.
Posted By: MarcH Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Flew from Michigan to Penn. in '19 to pickup a '19 with 10K miles. 60K + miles currently. Not one issue. Average 14.5 mpg winter, 16.5 summer - mostly country driving. Good trucks.
Posted By: codybrown Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
I've got a '07 with just under 250k on the clock. I've owned it for about 10 yrs now. Bought it with about 140k on it. I changed the spark plugs, water pump, and radiator since I've owned it. Toyota put a new frame under it a couple years ago. I use it to haul my boats in the summer, plow my driveway in the winter, and haul whatever I need to when needed. I've hauled 14k lbs plus whatever a 22ft deckover equipment trailer weighs before. I'll echo the complaints about mileage, best I've ever seen was 15.6 calculated off mileage/fuel, but I average around 12.

The 5.7's are proven engines. I'd personally give them a little while to work out the kinks of any new engines. They'll stand behind them, but I wouldn't want the headache in the meantime. Just my .02.
Posted By: tzone Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Originally Posted by dave7mm
You could always buy a new Chevy for 80,000.00 Dollars.

I wouldn't buy a Chevy for $80
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Bought my 16 Tundra in 18 and my 21 Tundra in 23. I look everywhere online, find the best deal and have flown out and driven back with these last 2. Didn't want a 22 or 23, don't like the new grill or the V6 at all. Just turned 30K on the 21, so, hopefully, it'll be with me for a while. Personally, I looked for 25K or less on it and a year or 2 older and saved some serious coin by doing so, compared to a new one. Completely personal preference, but that's what I did on the last 2. I did find that there's a lot of them out there!

Thanks Dean.,

I found a '21 I like with 28K on it. That's what made me ask the question. I don't like the shorty, short box, but I have that on my F-150 now. So, I can live with it if need be.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
We have a 23 with the off road package (non-hybrid). We’ve also put 400k miles (combined) on a couple Sequoias with the same power train of the old Tundras.
Love power/delivery of the new Tundra. It lacks for nothing power wise, and would only be better with the hybrid options. If I drive the speed limit with stock tires, it gets 20+mpg on the highway. With heavy off-road 10 ply aggressive tires, it dropped to 18 and change. Across all city and highway, our combined mileage is 17 and change, which is a meaningful bump from the 5.7.

Our Sequoias were/are typical toyota reliable. Gas mileage sucked with highway of 16 and combined 14.

Only thing I don’t like about the 23 Tundra is all the alarms…they get damned annoying. I think this is more reflective of lawyer mandated “safety features” in new cars For what it’s worth, I’d buy the Tundra again tomorrow….. We also plan to upgrade the Sequoia the next year or so.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Only thing I don’t like about the 23 Tundra is all the alarms…they get damned annoying. I think this is more reflective of lawyer mandated “safety features” in new cars For what it’s worth, I’d buy the Tundra again tomorrow….. We also plan to upgrade the Sequoia the next year or so.[/quote]

Like the little coffee cup dash light that reminds you to take a break!
Posted By: Teal Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Only thing I don’t like about the 23 Tundra is all the alarms…they get damned annoying. I think this is more reflective of lawyer mandated “safety features” in new cars For what it’s worth, I’d buy the Tundra again tomorrow….. We also plan to upgrade the Sequoia the next year or so.

Like the little coffee cup dash light that reminds you to take a break![/quote]

Yeah - thought that was hokey on my Tacoma too but I've never driven it long enough without stopping to trigger it. Just seems like a waste of time.
Originally Posted by Teal

Yeah - thought that was hokey on my Tacoma too but I've never driven it long enough without stopping to trigger it. Just seems like a waste of time.[/quote]

That would get annoying. I do drive a lot. I think some of the Ford models have something similar too.
Originally Posted by tzone

Yeah - thought that was hokey on my Tacoma too but I've never driven it long enough without stopping to trigger it. Just seems like a waste of time.

That would get annoying. I do drive a lot. I think some of the Ford models have something similar too.[/quote]

I think it's like 6 hours or something. I generally want to pee and top off tanks in there somewhere. Resets the coffee cup.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
You can turn that off, just like pretty much everything else.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23

Yeah - thought that was hokey on my Tacoma too but I've never driven it long enough without stopping to trigger it. Just seems like a waste of time.[/quote]

My 2019 Highlander and 2022 Ridgeline had that safety feature, Don't own either anymore
Posted By: CashisKing Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
I have a 2024 SR Tundra... 4x4 Long Bed...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/18790209

I mainly drive overbuilt Cummins... so hard for me to compare.

This was also my first Toyota truck (other than a 1986 Taco beater that is dedicated off road).

It is a very well appointed truck (even as a base model)... reasonable power... engine bay layout is very smart. 21 mpg on normal gas. 0W-16 oil.

As lightweight trucks go... The Tundra is the best available truck IMHO.
Eventually turbo-6 is going to be all one can get on a 1/2 ton truck.

If I MUST roll the dice on a turbo plant on a 1/2 ton - Toyota makes the most sense to me for that bet.
The plastic grill is about the size of a shipping pallet...

About the only thing I consider stupid on the truck.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Seatbelt alarms and auto door locks are the devils handiwork.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Temu sells seatbelt silencers for a dollar or two.

They also double as beer bottle openers.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/14/23
It has the lowest quality score for Toyota. Skip to 2:30.

Posted By: viking Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Most new trucks look very similar theses days.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by MadMooner

There's a solution for both.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23

Like the little coffee cup dash light that reminds you to take a break![/quote]

Turn them off!

🦫
Posted By: Cluggins Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
I am surprised that Toyota has never been able to figure out how to get better fuel economy out of their Tundras.
Posted By: kelbro Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
My 22 Tundra 1794 gets just at 20mpg on the road and a little over 9mpg pulling a 31' camper. 13K miles and no issues.
Posted By: reivertom Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Anyone have the new Tundra? Getting a new truck by fall. How do you like yours? Wondering if I should stick with the '21 and older for the 5.7l? How many miles on a used one before you think about not getting it, on a Toyota specifically?

Tow a #5500 boat most of the spring/summer and into fall. Haul a few wheelers when the boat isn't hooked up. All 3 wheelers and the trailer probably don't weigh what the boat does.

I've been keeping my trucks to 180-200K, so 5-6 years.

Get one a few years old with the lowest miles on it you can find that has the V8. It will get nearly the same gas mileage as the new ones and last a lot longer. If you intend to keep it many years like me, don't get the new twin turbo V6. They run great now, but turbos always decrease engine life due to the pressures and complexity. I intend to get at least 250,000 relatively trouble free miles out of a vehicle, and turbos aren't the way to go. Personally, I love my first generation Tundra and wouldn't trade it even for a new one if I had to keep it and use it. Toyota has screwed the pooch by getting rid of their V8 engines and depending on a complex, hopped up V6.
Originally Posted by Cluggins
I am surprised that Toyota has never been able to figure out how to get better fuel economy out of their Tundras.

Physics and aerodynamics dictate the mileage problems in a heavy, large, boxy vehicle. I don't buy trucks for gas mileage, I buy them for specific abilities.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by Whiptail

My new 2024 Tundra has 624 miles on it...

It is amazing to me that this guy can say a 2024 Tundra sucks donkey balls (with his magic tea leave) on a 2 month old truck...

He must be a Wizard... or some chit...

Fugging Moron
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by kelbro
My 22 Tundra 1794 gets just at 20mpg on the road and a little over 9mpg pulling a 31' camper. 13K miles and no issues.

That's interesting. My 2016 1794 4x4 Crew with the same engine and rear end would hardly get 17 mpg on flat ground at 70 mph with the cruise on. In town around 14 max. Also had the nav/electronics go out twice before 50k miles. The early 2000 models with the 4.7L V8 were the best ones ever made IMO.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's interesting. My 2016 1794 4x4 Crew with the same engine and rear end would hardly get 17 mpg on flat ground at 70 mph with the cruise on. In town around 14 max. Also had the nav/electronics go out twice before 50k miles. The early 2000 models with the 4.7L V8 were the best ones ever made IMO.

What he said^^^^^^^ First Generations were over built and many have half a million miles and are still on the road. My 2001 Tundra 4X4 only has 91,000 on the clock and will be in my estate sale.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
I've got a couple of good friends with 2023 tundra Iforce Max hybrids. They say 23 mpg on the highway out of them, neither have had any problems. I've got a 2016 tundra 5.7 and I can get 18 mpg highway on the stock tires (non-10 ply) as long as I keep it 65 mph or below, any more than that and the mileage goes in the tank. I have had zero problems out of it also.

I take these reports of "huge problems" with the new Tundra with a grain of salt. Every one I know who has one has been perfect.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23

Your 2016 does not have the same engine as the 2022. 2021 was the last year for the V8.
Posted By: Teal Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Turn them off!

🦫

Sway warning and lane departure isn't "the coffee cup" - we're talking about. That coffee cup can't be turned off. I do have Lane departure turned off as I've little use for that. I keep blind spot warning on because it's handy to see the flashing light in the mirrors at times when things are there.
Posted By: killerv Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Buddy just bought a brand spanking new one. Sticker was 65k and that was without leather. Still very utilitarian compared to the tech in other trucks at that price range. He pulled my tractor setup the other day with it, about 7500lbs, said it pulled just fine.
Posted By: Chisos Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by Japlvr

Your 2016 does not have the same engine as the 2022. 2021 was the last year for the V8.

^^^this^^^ Personally, I'd buy a good used late model and get the 5.7 engine. I'm not a turbo fan.
Posted By: tzone Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23

Turn them off!

🦫

Sway warning and lane departure isn't "the coffee cup" - we're talking about. That coffee cup can't be turned off. I do have Lane departure turned off as I've little use for that. I keep blind spot warning on because it's handy to see the flashing light in the mirrors at times when things are there.

We have the lane departure on our Honda Pilot too. It's annoying but it does shut off. The cruise control was annoying at first but you kind of get used to it. We have it set so I'd hit the brakes before I was tailgating anyway. In heavy traffic, it's kind of nice.
Originally Posted by Chisos
Originally Posted by Japlvr

^^^this^^^ Personally, I'd buy a good used late model and get the 5.7 engine. I'm not a turbo fan.

I don't mind the turbos, truthfully. I have them in my current truck. Despite the "internet" telling my they're going to blow at any minute, they've lasted for 170K miles so far. In fact, this truck has been great and I'm hesitant to buy another because it's been trouble free.

The biggest reason that I'm thinking about getting rid of it is the truck prices are coming down finally and it's right on the edge of the tow rating. Another factor is we have 280k between the 2 daily drivers.
Posted By: Teal Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23

Turn them off!

🦫

We have the lane departure on our Honda Pilot too. It's annoying but it does shut off. The cruise control was annoying at first but you kind of get used to it. We have it set so I'd hit the brakes before I was tailgating anyway. In heavy traffic, it's kind of nice.

Thought I'd hate the adaptive cruise too - I've grown to like it.
Same here.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23

The best my 2017 5.7 Crewcab got was 15.5 on a long trip.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/15/23
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't buy a Tundra for MPG's. There's certainly better options if MPG's are what you're looking for. For what I want a truck for, the Tundra is just about perfect. But I'll be the first to admit, I don't use a truck like a lot of you guys do. I pretty much don't tow anything anymore, don't haul a bunch anymore either, just occasional firewood and dead animals that I don't want in the truck with me. I really like the styling, and comfort, of my 21 Limited, I like everything about it. If it wasn't for the occasional firewood or dead animal, I'd have a Sequoia. Since retiring, I certainly don't have the windshield time I used to have, so fuel consumption is way down. So I guess I'll cling to this truck for as long as possible. I do think it's interesting that with the push for electric vehicles we have today, the ONLY thing being built around my area are new gas stations! Lol!
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: New Toyota Tundra - 12/16/23

Bull$hit
© 24hourcampfire