Home
Posted By: Poconojack Y’all - 12/16/23
Just wondering if ‘y’all’ is regional dialect? Used regularly on these forums, can’t recall ever hearing it used in this corner of PA
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
You'uns and we'uns?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
I hear it every day in SC.
Posted By: 160user Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
"Usta-coulda" was a new one for me. I heard it in Texas years ago. "Does that road go all the way through? It usta coulda".
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by blindshooter
You'uns and we'uns?

Never heard of we'uns. And it's yunz. There's no you in the pronunciation.

I was holding a face to face conversation one time with a guy down south when I was in the south, and he interrupted me mid sentence and said whoa whoa whoa, wait, did you just say yunz?? Lol.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Very common throughout the deep south.
Posted By: railman58 Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Being a Hillbilly in WV I hear the statement I talk funny if traveled south or north of WV. They just don't speak our language, Appalachian American, lol.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Gawd

Leave the Timmy Hortons for once’d in a while
Who yall other dispshît on here talkin bout he aint never been east of Picatello

Wtf
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Very common throughout the deep south.

Huh. I wouldn't of known that. Must change again if you go south farther. I was in an area where they say Y'all, and this guy seemed taken aback by a word he never heard before. Lol.
And I could've said the same about them. The word is carry, not "tote". No, not "naw". Really quick, not "right quick". Ha. More I can't think of at the moment.
Posted By: hanco Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
We all enjoy hearing from you all. They all from up north make fun of us all cause we all don’t say you guys.

I’m fixin to whoop up on ya’lls ass is what my grandma would say.

Cody Johnson has a song called “ Y’all People”

We had some boys that came down from Michigan to hunt for a week in East Texas. They made fun of the y’all so we went out of our way to lay that on thick. We all, them all, you all, bastards make fun of us wearing Wrangler jeans and blue jean snap shirts too. The shirts were Canadian Tuxedos they said.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
In the south we heard, you'all come back again.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Y'all pards...
Posted By: rainshot Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Every part of the nation has their own curious ways of butchering the language. Every nation does it. A Mexican from one part of Mexico can have trouble understanding a Mexican from another part of Mexico.
Posted By: ERK Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
When I was in Mississippi in the late 1970s I heard the strangest one to me. Bunch of guys at coffee break ribbing a young man about. Going out and getting some cock.
I thought it was strange that all these guys were cool with a queer. Turned out that was local for pussy. Edk
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Use it daily in Western North Carolina. You’ns is common in a couple of local mountain communities around here too. When they say that, you know they are a native from that area.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Southern English is a very relaxed manner of speaking. We fabricate our own style of contractions and leave the "g" off of the ending of any word that has it.

Spoken Southern English flows much more smoothly than English spoken elsewhere.

Mine has changed just a bit since I moved from far western Kentucky to central Kentucky. Far western Kentucky is "the south". Central Kentucky, not so much.

It was good to travel back "down home" this week and hear my original dialect being spoken again.
Confucius say
Man who fraid of self checkout not make fun of man who say yall
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by railman58
Being a Hillbilly in WV I hear the statement I talk funny if traveled south or north of WV. They just don't speak our language, Appalachian American, lol.
And still, I bet even you don't ever say "if'n" like a few 'round here..
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Southern English is a very relaxed manner of speaking. We fabricate our own style of contractions and leave the "g" off of the ending of any word that has it.

Spoken Southern English flows much more smoothly than English spoken elsewhere.

Mine has changed just a bit since I moved from far western Kentucky to central Kentucky. Far western Kentucky is "the south". Central Kentucky, not so much.

It was good to travel back "down home" this week and hear my original dialect being spoken again.

That is a great way to explain our way of speaking
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
Confucius say
Man who fraid of self checkout not make fun of man who say yall

lolololol
Posted By: Chisos Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by hanco
We all enjoy hearing from you all. They all from up north make fun of us all cause we all don’t say you guys.

Cody Johnson has a song called “ Y’ll People”

We had some boys that came down from Michigan to hunt for a week in East Texas. They made fun of the y’all so we went out of our way to lay that on thick. We all, them all, you all, bastards make fun of us wearing Wrangler jeans and blue jean snap shirts too. The shirts were Canadian Tuxedos they said.

My wife, who was raised in Houston, went with me to one of my class reunions up in the Panhandle. She told me " I can see now why you talk the way you do" Thought that was funny..
Phil Harris, "That's what I like about the South,"
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Half the country says "y'all".
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Half have left Dem areas to come here.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Just wondering if ‘y’all’ is regional dialect? Used regularly on these forums, can’t recall ever hearing it used in this corner of PA

Cuz you’re a DAMN YANKEE! The other thang you don’t know bout is sow belly turnip greens chitlins and cone bread!!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by Chisos

My wife, who was raised in Houston, went with me to one of my class reunions up in the Panhandle. She told me " I can see now why you talk the way you do" Thought that was funny..
I can tell someone from the panhandle as soon as they start talking, my father's family are all from that area.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
One of the reasons I refuse to watch "In The Heat of The Night", other than Carroll O'Connor being a flaming liberal.
You just can't fake a real southern accent

Niece was visiting in California. Aunt sent her into a grocery store for "oil" to fry chicken.
She couldn't find it, so asked a cashier, "Where's the awl?"
They sent her to the detergent aisle.
Finally asked a stocker, "Where's the awl?"
Guy takes her to the detergent aisle and points to a jug of "All" detergent!
Frustrated, she stated, " Not A-L-L like soap, O-I-L like you cook with!"
Posted By: jar Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Very common in mid to south missouri
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
My extended family is from the Piedmont region of North Carolina, with one cousin still living on the family farm established in the 19th Century.

He has a habit of haddin' a haitch in front a' some words that start with a vowel sound. But hit don't matter.

I grew up in South Florida before the Yankees took over and was taken aback the first time I heard someone say "youse guys".

If you watch a guy from the North try to sound like some stereotypical dumb guy he'll imitate a Southern accent. If you watch a guy from the South try to sound like some stereotypical dumb guy he'll imitate a Brooklyn accent.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
I lived in the South for many years. Y'all is almost universal. It might surprise you that y'all is singular. If a Southerner means more than one, the phrase is "all y'all".

BTW, anyone who'd write "I wouldn't of known that." has no room to criticize anyone else's English.
Posted By: colodog Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
More than once I've been accused of being a "Yankee" since I moved to the south. My accent ...
I tell folks that I'm from way out West and we had no idea there was ever any War of Northern Aggression till just recently, we were being chased by the local tribes... they laugh!

Every day I hear Y'all and All Y'all along with Might Could and a few other southernizms..

Folks here are very nice and always have a minute to visit and say "Hey" even if we aren't friends, yet.

We mostly say Hey as a greeting, not Howdy or Hi or Hello. Were a little less formal than that and I like it!

Hey Y'all! How ya doin!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by railman58

Exactly.
South West Central PA here (100miles east of Pittsburgh)
The farther North I go, the farther South they think I'm from.
In Montreal, I was accused of being from Georgia!

Some of its regional, some social. Some folks here think I have an accent, others
have it mote.

It even extends to sub, subsections.
There are 4 or 5 noticeable patterns or ways of saying certain words.
For instance, almost every person 40+ from one certain area eats "Hut" dogs,
and uses U in place of an O in many short words.

It's sad to me.
As people move around, watch TV, become more "Educated" accents fade away.
Go into any Big Southern city and most of the folks sound more north than us.
It's the rural areas where you find the Southern Drawl.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Yall welcome to our Ainglish. I'd like to trade Atlanta for Vermont New Hampshire Maine. Not just for those big deer but getting rid of Cesspool Atl. I'll throw in Birmingham except for our Medical field for some of that maple syrup.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
It’s in my Hillbilly vocabulary of butchering the English language.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I lived in the South for many years. Y'all is almost universal. It might surprise you that y'all is singular. If a Southerner means more than one, the phrase is "all y'all".

BTW, anyone who'd write "I wouldn't of known that." has no room to criticize anyone else's English.

Lol. I wouldn't of known that if you hadn't pointed it out. Maybe with all your higher learned education you could understand the English language enough to be able to follow along with the simple context of a discussion.

Nobody's criticizing anybody. It's a friendly discussion about real or perceived misuses of words in the English language depending on what region you're from. The differences were amusing to me then, and it still is.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Chisos

I can tell someone from the panhandle as soon as they start talking, my father's family are all from that area.

That is true, deep east Texas people also.
I'm originally from southern Illinois and didn't think I had an accent. Ha! When I went through the military Public Affairs School, I learned to speak in "Broadcast Neutral" which is devoid of regional accents. But I tend to take on any regional eccentricity like a parrot if I'm somewhere for very long. I learned to speak Texan, Mizzipian, and Floduh.

I developed a comic routine I call "How To Speak Dixie" that has four rules. Sadly, it can't be written or I'd maybe amuse y'all here with it.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
It’s in my Hillbilly vocabulary of butchering the English language.

Actually, I read an article about 8 or 9 years ago where the anthropologists were saying Southern English was much closer to the Kings English spoken in the 1700's than the northern dialects as the northern speech was diluted by people from other countries other than the British Isles. Their summations were most English immigrants who landed in Virginia spread southward through NC, SC, Georgia, ALA and Mississippi. People who landed north of Virginia tended to spread north and westward.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
y'all = 1 to 3 (can be singular or plural)
all y'all = 4 or more

y'alls = possessive (again, can be singular)

all y'alls = plural possessive

Anything with 'youseguys' is yankee talk.

You'uns is Southern

smile
Posted By: Muffin Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Allso, if you have used the word 'yamominem' you are from the south!!!

It will be preceded by the word 'Howz' and is a question?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Dude….
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack

All y’all Yankees don’t understand English? We all laffin’!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Y’all - 12/16/23

Kinda doubled up there? miles
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Idaho is a come later state that was originally settled by gold seekers and homesteaders from all over the east. There was no shortage of southerners but the southern dialect never caught on. If you hear it, it's from a newcomer.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
I don’t use y’all in the singular (at least I don’t think I do) and if I say y’all to one person I’m usually implying that person and their spouse or family or the rest of their group. Talking to one of my brothers about a family get together, I might say, “y’all come over about noon and we’ll grill out.”

My wife uses “right quick” all the time. “Let me turn off the tv right quick before we leave.” 😊

Being in the Navy or as a military contractor from ‘72-‘21 I’ve heard all kinds of interesting accents and terms. Hanging around all those “Yankees” all the time, I’m sure I’ve lost some of my accent.😁 I’ve had lots of guys ask me about where I was from and inevitably they’ve said that they would not have guessed Mississippi.

One pronunciation that seems to be common in New Yorkers is adding a distinct, or sometimes a barely perceptible “R” to the end of some words. For example, “saw” as “sawr”.
Originally Posted by Muffin
y'all = 1 to 3 (can be singular or plural)
all y'all = 4 or more

y'alls = possessive (again, can be singular)

all y'alls = plural possessive

Anything with 'youseguys' is yankee talk.

You'uns is Southern

smile

On an aside, knew three sisters, who were from Baltimore and wound up down here, always said "youse guys". An ex-boyfriend of one them referred to the three as the Baltimore Whorioles.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Y’all just confused I reckon.
Another Southern oddity refers to lights. I can get my head around "cut off the lights" but when they say "cut on the lights" it makes my head spin.
It’s more efficient to use “cut” rather than “turn”…it’s only three letters vs four.😁
Dealing with foreign flight students could be interesting. The radar altimeter has a tone that sounds when you descend through 5000’ above the ground and then again if you descend through the altitude that you have set.

If you asked a French student, “in your descent, when does the radar altimeter go off?” you would get that cocked head look that your dog sometimes gives. 🫨

After seeing that a few times I learned to ask, “when will you hear the radar altimeter tone?” 😊
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gawd

Leave the Timmy Hortons for once’d in a while
Is thems the folks who manufacture doublewides?
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
And I could've said the same about them. The word is carry, not "tote". No, not "naw". Really quick, not "right quick". Ha. More I can't think of at the moment.
Incorrect. It's "right quick-like". 😉
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
OP, you forgot about "fixin'". I'm fixin' to smoke some bbq......

You Northerners would freak out on a visit to South Louisiana, South of I-10 that is.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You Northerners would freak out on a visit to South Louisiana, South of I-10 that is.

LOL ! Yep.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL ! Yep.

Heck, that applies those of us just a few miles above I-10. 😁
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL ! Yep.

Heck, that applies those of us just a few miles above I-10. 😁

Fixin is very common in my area around Houston.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/hollywood-hates-the-south-southern-accents-edition/

Where can we hear the worst southern accent of all time? Is it Tom Hanks as the lovable but stupid Forrest Gump? Is it SNL alum Dan Akyroyd in Driving Miss Daisy? How about the mess present in Django? Often, British, Irish or Scottish actors will nail a southern accent before Hollywood even thinks of hiring a southerner (see Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind or Kelly Macdonald in No Country for Old Men).

Any way you cut it, a southern accent in a Hollywood movie is bad news. Either the accent is designed to portray stupidity, slovenliness and/or poverty (see Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) or it’s ready to spout a bunch of racism under the guise of Old South (see North & South). [1]

Hollywood does not hesitate to use the beautiful architecture and scenery of the South. Covington, Georgia has been the filming location for In the Heat of the Night, the Accountant and other award-winning performances.[2] Yet the local Georgia accent remains elusive to Hollywood executives.

The history behind a southern accent would make anyone stop short. With French boulevards heard in a Louisiana Creole accent, and British fox hunts heard in a Virginia accent, while Texan accents contain Mexican inflections, every southern accent is unique. It may be this originality that Hollywood struggles to grasp.

Moreover, accents are not unique to the American south. Rural communities on the Eastern Shore of Maryland have their own dialect, as do Pennsylvanians in Lancaster. Old timers in California speak differently than cattlemen in Idaho, and none of these American accents ever cross the screen except maybe in a podcast or two.

When given the opportunity to honor a southern man or woman, Hollywood can’t get out of dodge fast enough. For example, with Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis, filming took place in Australia! Moreover, press releases talk more about Baz Luhrmann’s stars posing with Bombay Sapphire gin than the legendary southern crooner, so famous no one dares name their child Elvis again.[3]

While the South remains elusive to Hollywood, this is a strength. The true nature of the South remains out of reach of a money-making machine, less concerned with accuracy than image. So the South remains hidden. She does not reveal herself on camera. And she certainly wouldn’t think of doing so to a group that could not say “hey y’all” with any authenticity.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
ima finna leave
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
One branch of the Flint family has been in California since the gold rush, they are a pretentious bunch of bastards, the women being the worst of course...at one notable family gathering, the women were bemoaning the erosion of the language, customs and politeness since the Okie invasion of the great depression. My father, having enough of it, (it, being snobbery and whiskey) mentioned the Mexicans had been here since 1769 and they probably had a dim view of the treasure seekers... and then he recited a couple of lines of doggerel...
"The miners came in '49, the whores in '51, and when they got together, they made a native son". We were never invited to another reunion.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Y’all - 12/16/23
Never worried about any of it except
for those out of staters that criticize
the way things have been done here
successfully for generations.
They say jeeze yooze guys and
yoo bechah and such as that.
Talk about how techsuns can't drive
in the cold, then run off in the bar ditch
because it's ice and not snow

Drec-lee = in a quick fashion
Ice box = refrigerator
coke box = cold drink dispensing machine
for any flavor of drink
Shove-lay house = Chevrolet dealership
Ford house = Ford dealership
Dodge house = Chrysler Plymouth dealership
Skil saw = any brand of circular saw
Dressin = a dish made with crumbled yellow
cornbread and chopped onions and bell pepper
and bits and pieces of cooked poultry and
a quadruple handful of ground sage and
black pepper and some salt and broth from
boiling the neck and wings and giblets of
the fowl
Ham meat = ham

Many more- not enough space
The worst current Hollywood rendition of a southern accent is Lucas Black in NCIS - New Orleans. I won't even watch that show because of it.
And he was born in Alabama of all places!
When Al Gore introduced himself to me, he had more accent than when on TV.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Y’all - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by ERK
When I was in Mississippi in the late 1970s I heard the strangest one to me. Bunch of guys at coffee break ribbing a young man about. Going out and getting some cock.
I thought it was strange that all these guys were cool with a queer. Turned out that was local for pussy. Edk

Very common usage in southern Ontario when I was quite a bit younger.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Y’all - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by milespatton

Kinda doubled up there? miles

I hear more black people say All y'alls than white Southerners. Seems improper to me too.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Y’all - 12/17/23
One person is y'all, more than one is all y'all
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Y’all - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by flintlocke
One branch of the Flint family has been in California since the gold rush, they are a pretentious bunch of bastards, the women being the worst of course...at one notable family gathering, the women were bemoaning the erosion of the language, customs and politeness since the Okie invasion of the great depression. My father, having enough of it, (it, being snobbery and whiskey) mentioned the Mexicans had been here since 1769 and they probably had a dim view of the treasure seekers... and then he recited a couple of lines of doggerel...
"The miners came in '49, the whores in '51, and when they got together, they made a native son". We were never invited to another reunion.

Quite a few of those early 49ers were farm boys from Missouri and Kentucky. Hell, any "49er" family in California that looks down on Okies is probably looking down on their own cousins.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Y’all - 12/17/23

I used to hang out with a good friend of mine who's dad owned a little marine supply store and boat ways on Dickinson Bayou. It took this Panhandle boy a pretty good while to figure out what those coon ass shrimpers were saying.
© 24hourcampfire