Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarkWV
It’s in my Hillbilly vocabulary of butchering the English language.

Actually, I read an article about 8 or 9 years ago where the anthropologists were saying Southern English was much closer to the Kings English spoken in the 1700's than the northern dialects as the northern speech was diluted by people from other countries other than the British Isles. Their summations were most English immigrants who landed in Virginia spread southward through NC, SC, Georgia, ALA and Mississippi. People who landed north of Virginia tended to spread north and westward.

Last edited by Chisos; 12/16/23.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
y'all = 1 to 3 (can be singular or plural)
all y'all = 4 or more

y'alls = possessive (again, can be singular)

all y'alls = plural possessive

Anything with 'youseguys' is yankee talk.

You'uns is Southern

smile

Last edited by Muffin; 12/16/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Allso, if you have used the word 'yamominem' you are from the south!!!

It will be preceded by the word 'Howz' and is a question?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude….

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Just wondering if ‘y’all’ is regional dialect? Used regularly on these forums, can’t recall ever hearing it used in this corner of PA

All y’all Yankees don’t understand English? We all laffin’!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All y’all Yankees don’t understand English? We all laffin’!

Kinda doubled up there? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho is a come later state that was originally settled by gold seekers and homesteaders from all over the east. There was no shortage of southerners but the southern dialect never caught on. If you hear it, it's from a newcomer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I don’t use y’all in the singular (at least I don’t think I do) and if I say y’all to one person I’m usually implying that person and their spouse or family or the rest of their group. Talking to one of my brothers about a family get together, I might say, “y’all come over about noon and we’ll grill out.”

My wife uses “right quick” all the time. “Let me turn off the tv right quick before we leave.” 😊

Being in the Navy or as a military contractor from ‘72-‘21 I’ve heard all kinds of interesting accents and terms. Hanging around all those “Yankees” all the time, I’m sure I’ve lost some of my accent.😁 I’ve had lots of guys ask me about where I was from and inevitably they’ve said that they would not have guessed Mississippi.

One pronunciation that seems to be common in New Yorkers is adding a distinct, or sometimes a barely perceptible “R” to the end of some words. For example, “saw” as “sawr”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muffin
y'all = 1 to 3 (can be singular or plural)
all y'all = 4 or more

y'alls = possessive (again, can be singular)

all y'alls = plural possessive

Anything with 'youseguys' is yankee talk.

You'uns is Southern

smile

On an aside, knew three sisters, who were from Baltimore and wound up down here, always said "youse guys". An ex-boyfriend of one them referred to the three as the Baltimore Whorioles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y’all just confused I reckon.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another Southern oddity refers to lights. I can get my head around "cut off the lights" but when they say "cut on the lights" it makes my head spin.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s more efficient to use “cut” rather than “turn”…it’s only three letters vs four.😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/16/23.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Dealing with foreign flight students could be interesting. The radar altimeter has a tone that sounds when you descend through 5000’ above the ground and then again if you descend through the altitude that you have set.

If you asked a French student, “in your descent, when does the radar altimeter go off?” you would get that cocked head look that your dog sometimes gives. 🫨

After seeing that a few times I learned to ask, “when will you hear the radar altimeter tone?” 😊

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gawd

Leave the Timmy Hortons for once’d in a while
Is thems the folks who manufacture doublewides?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
And I could've said the same about them. The word is carry, not "tote". No, not "naw". Really quick, not "right quick". Ha. More I can't think of at the moment.
Incorrect. It's "right quick-like". 😉

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OP, you forgot about "fixin'". I'm fixin' to smoke some bbq......

You Northerners would freak out on a visit to South Louisiana, South of I-10 that is.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You Northerners would freak out on a visit to South Louisiana, South of I-10 that is.

LOL ! Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL ! Yep.

Heck, that applies those of us just a few miles above I-10. 😁

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL ! Yep.

Heck, that applies those of us just a few miles above I-10. 😁

Fixin is very common in my area around Houston.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/hollywood-hates-the-south-southern-accents-edition/

Where can we hear the worst southern accent of all time? Is it Tom Hanks as the lovable but stupid Forrest Gump? Is it SNL alum Dan Akyroyd in Driving Miss Daisy? How about the mess present in Django? Often, British, Irish or Scottish actors will nail a southern accent before Hollywood even thinks of hiring a southerner (see Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind or Kelly Macdonald in No Country for Old Men).

Any way you cut it, a southern accent in a Hollywood movie is bad news. Either the accent is designed to portray stupidity, slovenliness and/or poverty (see Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) or it’s ready to spout a bunch of racism under the guise of Old South (see North & South). [1]

Hollywood does not hesitate to use the beautiful architecture and scenery of the South. Covington, Georgia has been the filming location for In the Heat of the Night, the Accountant and other award-winning performances.[2] Yet the local Georgia accent remains elusive to Hollywood executives.

The history behind a southern accent would make anyone stop short. With French boulevards heard in a Louisiana Creole accent, and British fox hunts heard in a Virginia accent, while Texan accents contain Mexican inflections, every southern accent is unique. It may be this originality that Hollywood struggles to grasp.

Moreover, accents are not unique to the American south. Rural communities on the Eastern Shore of Maryland have their own dialect, as do Pennsylvanians in Lancaster. Old timers in California speak differently than cattlemen in Idaho, and none of these American accents ever cross the screen except maybe in a podcast or two.

When given the opportunity to honor a southern man or woman, Hollywood can’t get out of dodge fast enough. For example, with Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis, filming took place in Australia! Moreover, press releases talk more about Baz Luhrmann’s stars posing with Bombay Sapphire gin than the legendary southern crooner, so famous no one dares name their child Elvis again.[3]

While the South remains elusive to Hollywood, this is a strength. The true nature of the South remains out of reach of a money-making machine, less concerned with accuracy than image. So the South remains hidden. She does not reveal herself on camera. And she certainly wouldn’t think of doing so to a group that could not say “hey y’all” with any authenticity.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 41 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.