Home
Posted By: slumlord Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Anyone ever been going into the woodline in a fog and see or sense that there are other spirits in there? A quick glance and its gone.

Hunting around graveyards and such
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Can't say that I have.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Just once. Overwhelming feeling I needed to leave a place. The buddy with me didn't argue much.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
One log yard, on the end of a finger ridge.

I hated pulling the last loads out of there, just me, the logs, and
whatever gave me goosebumps, raised the hair on my neck, and had me looking everywhere at once.

That was over 30 years ago, there are goose bumps on my arms right now.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Boogers! That’s what ya flip on the ceiling!
Posted By: RHClark Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Just once. Overwhelming feeling I needed to leave a place. The buddy with me didn't argue much.

I had the same feeling one time in one place. Never had it before or since. Wife and I pulled our boat up a creek off the main lake into a little valley with bluffs on both sides. We got out to stretch our legs and immediately got an overwhelming feeling that we should leave. It was a normal sunny day, and we hadn't been talking ghost stories before or anything. Craziest thing I ever experienced as a feeling. I was armed and had the feeling but wanted to look around and see if there was anything that could have caused it. Wife was literally begging me to get back in the boat and leave, so we did.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
The voices in my head scream at them haints and they run oft.
Posted By: 86thecat Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
If you read James Corbett's books, he attributed that feeling with saving his life more than once when a maneater was waiting in ambush.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Its called a sixth sense and if we learned to listen to it a bit more often it would prolly save a bunch of hides.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
They are common at self check out stations.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone ever been going into the woodline in a fog and see or sense that there are other spirits in there? A quick glance and its gone.

Nope, but was sitting on the embankment of a sand tar road in East Texas watching for deer when something super cold was pressed against the back of my neck. Shocked me so bad, I froze. Finally started to turn my head and was rewarded by a lick on the cheek by someone's coon dog which had got loose. Does this count?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
I've noticed places that have a friendly "feel" to them, and I've noticed places that have some kind of a hostile feel.

I remember setting up camp one summer evening at a place called Diablo Dam. I had been camping out for a week or so in various places in the trans-Pecos region and was going to stay out one more night before heading home. The dam is just an earthen flood control structure that sometimes holds some water, but usually is dried up. I made camp, ate, and crawled into the sack at dusk and was not there for a minute before I got this overwhelming sensation that I should get the hell outa there. I was gone in 90 seconds.

I spend a lot of time on my own, and I don't get spooked easily. That night was the exception.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've noticed places that have a friendly "feel" to them, and I've noticed places that have some kind of a hostile feel.

I remember setting up camp one summer evening at a place called Diablo Dam. I had been camping out for a week or so in various places in the trans-Pecos region and was going to stay out one more night before heading home. The dam is just an earthen flood control structure that sometimes holds some water, but usually is dried up. I made camp, ate, and crawled into the sack at dusk and was not there for a minute before I got this overwhelming sensation that I should get the hell outa there. I was gone in 90 seconds.

I spend a lot of time on my own, and I don't get spooked easily. That night was the exception.

It was the ghost of Victorio looking to scalp one more White man!
Originally Posted by Chisos

Nope, but was sitting on the embankment of a sand tar road in East Texas watching for deer when something super cold was pressed against the back of my neck. Shocked me so bad, I froze. Finally started to turn my head and was rewarded by a lick on the cheek by someone's coon dog which had got loose. Does this count?

Thats funny as all get out right there!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
I've passed an old unkept farmers graveyard on some hunting land in my county - nothing.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
My Scoutmaster was in WWII. He had organized and trained a Company of Kachin natives to fight behind Japanese lines in Burma. After a particularly grueling day, they made camp and everyone was settling in for the night, exhausted. My Scoutmaster had constructed a lean-to shelter between two huge trees and as he began to fall asleep a very strong sense of foreboding overcame him. To much protest, he had the company move to a different location, some distance away. That night there was a terrible thunderstorm with heavy rain.

Early the next morning, the Kachin leader and a few other natives silently entered his lean-to and and awoke him. All he said was: Come with me. My Scoutmaster did not ask any questions, got up, quickly dressed, grabbed his rifle and they hiked back to the original campsite. Not a word was spoken.

When they arrived, the Kachin leader led him to the location where my Scoutmaster's lean-to was was located. A gigantic tree had fallen between the two other trees supporting his lean-to and it was completely crushed. Had they remained in that original camp, he would have been crushed to death.

The Kachins already had a great deal of respect for him, but from that point forward they revered him.

Though he is no longer with us, his four children have just completed a book regarding his exploits. This book was many years in the making and is a great read, should anyone have interest in learning more about his WWII experiences:

A Thousand Places Left Behind
Posted By: 1minute Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Nope
Posted By: akrange Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
I saw Smokey the Bear

I’m comfortable with it
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
If you knew the evil that resides within me, you'd fear FOR the spirits not FROM the spirits.
Posted By: akrange Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Check Please
Posted By: huntjinx Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Yup
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Interesting.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Yes, but

I ain't afraid of no ghosts
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by 86thecat
If you read James Corbett's books, he attributed that feeling with saving his life more than once when a maneater was waiting in ambush.

Kenneth Anderson and Colonel Patterson both wrote of sensing the same when the big cats were close but unseen.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
The home place my sister and BIL own was part of the route a band of Omaha and Ponca used when fleeing from a much larger Sioux war party. The chase and skirmishes went on for two days as the Omaha fought a rearguard action to,protect their families from the Sioux.

My sister was windrowing hay in a meadow near the river where these battles were fought, one sunny summer day, when she got a feeling that something was wrong. She said she was so scared she couldn’t even breathe. She got to the end of the meadow, raised the head of the wind rower and headed home in road gear. She is an old German farm wife and isn’t an easy person to spook. She has never had the same feelings since.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Only once, at Gettysburg.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23

LOL ! No, but tell ole Renegade50 he’s missed around the Campfire!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yes, but

I ain't afraid of no ghosts

“Who ya gonna call ?”

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23
The only things I’ve run into in the woods that raised the hair on my neck were actual people.

Can’t say a ghoul has ever aspooked me.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/16/23

Hunted a stand for years that backed up to a graveyard deep in the woods. It was still maintained by the various families that had buried kin there. About 30-35 graves. Always quiet there….the Spanish moss hanging from the live oaks always looked interesting on a full moon evening, swaying in the breeze. You’d have to walk right through the graveyard to get to the other side where the box stand stood, looking down a 400 yard sendaro/firebreak.

The residents always knew to be still and keep quiet when I hunted that stand. Our son, then eight years old, was scared to death to sit with me on that stand. 😂 He’d never look down that sendaro for deer….he was busy keeping an eye on the graveyard.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Hunted a stand for years that backed up to a graveyard deep in the woods. It was still maintained by the various families that had buried kin there. About 30-35 graves. Always quiet there….the Spanish moss hanging from the live oaks always looked interesting on a full moon evening, swaying in the breeze. You’d have to walk right through the graveyard to get to the other side where the box stand stood, looking down a 400 yard sendaro/firebreak.

The residents always knew to be still and keep quiet when I hunted that stand. Our son, then eight years old, was scared to death to sit with me on that stand. 😂 He’d never look down that sendaro for deer….he was busy keeping an eye on the graveyard.

LOL !
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Godogs57

LOL !
kids are smart sometimes wink
Posted By: hardway Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23

Sounds like a damn fish-cop to me.... always tryin to getcha 😏
Posted By: carrollco Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Y’all need to read “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin De Becker reknown billionaire security expert. Great read and you really should heed those feelings and that little voice telling you to vacate that place ASAP! I had a copy but loaned it to my MSHSP buddy neighbor down the road. It was such a great read that he shared it with his brothers in arms and I never got it back. He swears it has saved him on more than one occasion. Sometimes he’s the only trooper on duty in a 5 county area and help is only an hour or two away. Middle son is LEO also and agrees with De Becker. Got a persimmon tree on the place where a neighbor hung himself with the help of a piece of rope, a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of a 3 strand barbed wire fence. Grandson won’t hunt near there and you get an erie feeling. BIL was on the county coroner’s inquest and was paid the princely sum $5 to be a witness as were a few others.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Say a prayer, grip the N frame Smith and carry on.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
The property I grew up on adjoined a large cemetery and another was directly across the road. If there was ever any haunts around I didn't sense them.

Or maybe there were so many around that I just got desensitized to them and lost the ability.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Hunted a place with an old forgotten graveyard.

Late 1800’s - early 1900 ‘s. Odd tombstones.

One had a metal topper, with a piece that would turn.

No problems though..

Hunted another place, while riding down the road ( county road ) from one part of the property to another, there was a hill you went down.

At the bottom it was always noticeably colder..

Id take ppl hunting, and stop on my SxS there, say you feel that?

Prolly haints…
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Haints…

Old colored ppl would paint the bottom 4’ or so of tree trunks white…

Or bury a tire and paint the exposed part white..

To keep the spirits out…
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I had the same experience once. Not near a cemetery and it was a public hunting area. I didn’t see any other persons or vehicles, but shortly after arriving and not walking very far I encountered an overwhelming sense of dread.
I have no idea what or why, but I listened to my instincts and left.
Posted By: Stix Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Don’t forget the shawl granny........”shudder”
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
I used to hunt a place that had 7 people buried by the grove, they were marked by flags. An entire family during the Kansas Flu epidemic of 1918. Rumor was that they laid dead in the house for a few weeks before anyone was brave enough to go check on them. I never felt anything but respect and reverence at the resting place of an entire family. I shot a lot of birds there.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Bottle trees. To catch the bad spirits.
Posted By: grovey Re: Tree peeker ghouls - 12/17/23
Once while hunting about 40-50 yds from an old grave on family property I got growled at by several somethings. I heard it/them as they came down off the steep part of the mountain 50 yds away to the bench I was on, but I never saw anything. The sounds came directly at me, and the grave 40-50yds behind me. " It" turned into them about 25yds out as they spread out and started to surround me in a semi circle as I clutched one of the prettiest 16 gauge Wingmaster on the planet. When "they" got to about 25-30 ft away in fairly open woods and I still hadn't seen what was growling at me from now 4-5 locations... I'd had enough, and beat feet out of there.
© 24hourcampfire