Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting.

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, but

I ain't afraid of no ghosts

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 86thecat
If you read James Corbett's books, he attributed that feeling with saving his life more than once when a maneater was waiting in ambush.

Kenneth Anderson and Colonel Patterson both wrote of sensing the same when the big cats were close but unseen.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The home place my sister and BIL own was part of the route a band of Omaha and Ponca used when fleeing from a much larger Sioux war party. The chase and skirmishes went on for two days as the Omaha fought a rearguard action to,protect their families from the Sioux.

My sister was windrowing hay in a meadow near the river where these battles were fought, one sunny summer day, when she got a feeling that something was wrong. She said she was so scared she couldn’t even breathe. She got to the end of the meadow, raised the head of the wind rower and headed home in road gear. She is an old German farm wife and isn’t an easy person to spook. She has never had the same feelings since.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only once, at Gettysburg.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone ever been going into the woodline in a fog and see or sense that there are other spirits in there? A quick glance and its gone.

Hunting around graveyards and such

LOL ! No, but tell ole Renegade50 he’s missed around the Campfire!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yes, but

I ain't afraid of no ghosts

“Who ya gonna call ?”

[video:youtube]
[/video]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only things I’ve run into in the woods that raised the hair on my neck were actual people.

Can’t say a ghoul has ever aspooked me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Anyone ever been going into the woodline in a fog and see or sense that there are other spirits in there? A quick glance and its gone.

Hunted a stand for years that backed up to a graveyard deep in the woods. It was still maintained by the various families that had buried kin there. About 30-35 graves. Always quiet there….the Spanish moss hanging from the live oaks always looked interesting on a full moon evening, swaying in the breeze. You’d have to walk right through the graveyard to get to the other side where the box stand stood, looking down a 400 yard sendaro/firebreak.

The residents always knew to be still and keep quiet when I hunted that stand. Our son, then eight years old, was scared to death to sit with me on that stand. 😂 He’d never look down that sendaro for deer….he was busy keeping an eye on the graveyard.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Hunted a stand for years that backed up to a graveyard deep in the woods. It was still maintained by the various families that had buried kin there. About 30-35 graves. Always quiet there….the Spanish moss hanging from the live oaks always looked interesting on a full moon evening, swaying in the breeze. You’d have to walk right through the graveyard to get to the other side where the box stand stood, looking down a 400 yard sendaro/firebreak.

The residents always knew to be still and keep quiet when I hunted that stand. Our son, then eight years old, was scared to death to sit with me on that stand. 😂 He’d never look down that sendaro for deer….he was busy keeping an eye on the graveyard.

LOL !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Godogs57

LOL !
kids are smart sometimes wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Sounds like a damn fish-cop to me.... always tryin to getcha 😏

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Y’all need to read “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin De Becker reknown billionaire security expert. Great read and you really should heed those feelings and that little voice telling you to vacate that place ASAP! I had a copy but loaned it to my MSHSP buddy neighbor down the road. It was such a great read that he shared it with his brothers in arms and I never got it back. He swears it has saved him on more than one occasion. Sometimes he’s the only trooper on duty in a 5 county area and help is only an hour or two away. Middle son is LEO also and agrees with De Becker. Got a persimmon tree on the place where a neighbor hung himself with the help of a piece of rope, a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of a 3 strand barbed wire fence. Grandson won’t hunt near there and you get an erie feeling. BIL was on the county coroner’s inquest and was paid the princely sum $5 to be a witness as were a few others.

Last edited by carrollco; 12/16/23. Reason: Words
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Say a prayer, grip the N frame Smith and carry on.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/16/23.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The property I grew up on adjoined a large cemetery and another was directly across the road. If there was ever any haunts around I didn't sense them.

Or maybe there were so many around that I just got desensitized to them and lost the ability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunted a place with an old forgotten graveyard.

Late 1800’s - early 1900 ‘s. Odd tombstones.

One had a metal topper, with a piece that would turn.

No problems though..

Hunted another place, while riding down the road ( county road ) from one part of the property to another, there was a hill you went down.

At the bottom it was always noticeably colder..

Id take ppl hunting, and stop on my SxS there, say you feel that?

Prolly haints…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haints…

Old colored ppl would paint the bottom 4’ or so of tree trunks white…

Or bury a tire and paint the exposed part white..

To keep the spirits out…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Just once. Overwhelming feeling I needed to leave a place. The buddy with me didn't argue much.
I had the same experience once. Not near a cemetery and it was a public hunting area. I didn’t see any other persons or vehicles, but shortly after arriving and not walking very far I encountered an overwhelming sense of dread.
I have no idea what or why, but I listened to my instincts and left.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t forget the shawl granny........”shudder”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.