Home
Posted By: victoro Ear wax! - 12/19/23
I thought my hearing aids had finally crapped out after 4 years so I made an appointment with Costco today to get a new pair. Turns out that both ears are are plugged up with ear wax. The technician gave me a referral so I could get an ENT doctor to remove the wax. I haven't been able to find an ENT who will remove the ear wax. All they want to do is surgery. There's all kinds of ear wax removal products for sell but I don't think they will remove this amount of wax. Amazon even has ear wax removal kits with tools and cameras. Does anybody know of a product that will actually dissolve ear wax safely?

What's odd is that when I retired from AT&T in 1991 I went to an ENT to see if I could get some hearing aids. Turns out that I couldn't because they didn't have hearing aids yet that would only amplify only the frequencies you I couldn't hear. I complained about my ears itching all the time and he said it was because my ears weren't producing ear wax anymore. He said it is common as you age (I was only 49). Now at 80 my ears are producing lots of ear wax!
Posted By: hardway Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
You and Wabi could start a candle business.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Nasty fugk

I drill mine out with q-tips about once a week.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Local MD can remove wax. Kept hearing my heartbeat in one ear years ago.
DR just gave it a squirt of warm water and flushed it out. About the size of a small pea. Easy and painless.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Clean ears.
Name of the product
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Use an ear wax candle
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Went to a ear doctor 30 years ago and he removed a big glob from my ears. Dr. Told me every Time you shower, run warm water in your ears to keep ‘‘em clean. I forget to do it so on occasion they plug up. Then I use the ear wax softener , then shower, water in ears and it works. Good luck! Alan
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
I use a Q-tip in each ear after EVERY shower. It’s never been an issue for me and I’ve been doing it daily or twice daily for 30+ years. My deafness has nothing to do with ear wax and that is of immeasurable comfort…..😂
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
QTip daily.
Personal hygiene, it’s a thing.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
You don't need a kit if you have a turkey baster. Yes, a turkey baster. Putting a little ear wax softener in each ear will speed things up. Fill a bathroom sink with warm water. Fill your baster with the water, tilt one ear towards the sink and blast the warm water into your ear. Emphasis on blast. Repeat several times until your ears are clear.

A doctor will use fancier tools, but the method and results are exactly the same.
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
A couples drops of Hydrogen Peroxide will soften and loosen, then rinse in the shower and wipe clean with a q-tip. Do this once a week.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Use an eye dripper to fill ear with Hydrogen Peroxide...tilt head for ten minutes. Will probably take 3-4 applications. Buy a blue ear rinse bulbs and rinse ear with warm (as warm as you can take) water each time.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by walt501
You don't need a kit if you have a turkey baster. Yes, a turkey baster. Putting a little ear wax softener in each ear will speed things up. Fill a bathroom sink with warm water. Fill your baster with the water, tilt one ear towards the sink and blast the warm water into your ear. Emphasis on blast. Repeat several times until your ears are clear.

A doctor will use fancier tools, but the method and results are exactly the same.

Remember to clean sink first before squirting nasty sink water into your head.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Have had issues with ear wax my whole life and my Dr. gave me these suggestions that work for me and I do it at least once a month if not twice a month.
Get a small plastic suction bulb,(aspirator), and fill the sink bowl half way and warm up the bulb with warm water and throw a towel over your shoulder put a cap full of hydrogen peroxide in the cap and a cap full of rubbing alcohol in front of each bottle so you don't mix them up in dizzy confusion. Use the aspirator and suck up the cap full of peroxide and gently squeeze an ear full into the top ear with your head tilted side ways. You'll hear the foaming action and it'll start to loosen some ear wax. stay like this for a minute or two and slowly roll your head to let that ear drain into the sink bowl. Relax for a few minutes as to prevent dizziness. Fill up the peroxide cap again and repeat! Then with the warm temped water in the sink bowl fill the aspirator up with the warm water and with that ear pointing downward squeeze the warm water into the ear allowing it to drain while doing a it'll start to flush wax out and repeat this several times as needed. An extra towel is preferred to help stay dry during this. After done rest in between and the squirt some alcohol into the ear while the ear is pointing upward and let sit for a minute. The alcohol might sting the sensitive ear a little, so go easy and do it just once as this will not only disinfect and help to prevent infection but it also will dry up the water and moisture in the ear the same way dry gas works in your gas tank! Repeat the other ear the same day or next if it's easier on you.
Good Luck,
HS 58
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by hardway

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Jahrs Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

Another Costco perk.
Posted By: efw Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
WTH bro that’s nasty

Posted By: atvalaska Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Hot water in a water pic get on it and stay on it
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Then 91% rubbing alcohol poured in there lay on your side for 15 minutes dump it out and do the other side and keep up on your maintenance there bud
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Use an ear wax candle

This! It works well.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Ear wax! - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Hot water in a water pic get on it and stay on it
Good way to break your ear drum.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Never had wax problems but recently had hearing loss in one ear. Went to family doc, she found wax, 5 min later she sent nurse with squirt bottle and tweezers. 5 min later done.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
I tried the Hydrogen Peroxide trick and it fugged me up, made me dizzy as hell.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
ent have always removed it. suction. wire loop. would seem weird that they would not.

docs use water in a syringe. yeah it sort of works depending.

q tips for me just push wax in further. thats what the docs and ent say too.

mine stay clear with gentle use of a bobby pin until it won't get it all. then its time for an ent again.

I've tried all the solutions mentioned above and what I've noted are the only things that work for me. but then my ears at times produce so much wax the liquid part of the wax as it forms runs out of the ear.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
From as bad as it appears for sum of you, I think a good soaking with muriatic acid and then a shop vac might be in order.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by JeffA
From as bad as it appears for sum of you, I think a good soaking with muriatic acid and then a shop vac might be in order.
the use of suction is quite the thing to get stubborn wax out. I think I first ran into this in the 80s. It was amazing what they got out if other methods failed.

full pass on the muriatic acid lol
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
When I was on the swim team and lifeguarding I was in the water for hours everyday 7 days a week. That much time spent in chlorinated water can cause ear infections and ear aches were common. We’d squirt rubbing alcohol in each ear tilting our head to allow it to “work” for 3 minutes and then do the other side…after that we’d gently dry each ear with a Q-tip and then a couple drops of apple cider vinegar. When I started doing that regularly my ear aches went away. The alcohol helped displace and dry the water and the vinegar established proper pH.

I’ve heard people say that q-tips only push it in but that hasn’t been my experience at all. If there’s no buildup of wax then there’s nothing to “push in”…anymore than showering just moves the dirt around on your body but doesn’t get rid of it. 😂. Since I use a q-tip after every shower or swimming session I don’t have any wax to worry about. By cleaning them at least daily the most wax I see a tiny bit of yellow on the q-tip. After a warm shower the wax is loosened, soft and wet and easily removed by a q-tip.

My FIL had ear wax issues and everyone else that I knew that had ear wax issues came from the school of thought that you’re only “pushing it in” by using a q-tip. I tried to explain the idea of prevention but the evil q-tip was worse than the buildup and subsequent doctors visit to remove a gross amount of ear wax. I’ll continue using the q-tip daily after my shower and not having the wax problems that others have. I never realized how many people have issues from ear wax but there’s a significant industry of fancy gadgets and technology that’s built up around ear wax removal. 😀
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Use an ear wax candle

Not.

Those are hyped, but don't do anything useful. Probably don't hurt anything, but they have been proven a hoax long ago.
Posted By: victoro Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. After I made the first post I found out that CVS pharmacy has people that can remove ear wax. I've got some ear wax removal stuff on order that I'll get tomorrow. I'm going to use it every day for a while and see if I can flush out some wax. If I do I'll go to then go to CVS and get them to see if I got it all. If not I'll try to get an appt. with my primary Doc.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
I used q tips daily for years. One day I couldn’t hear. Ears clogged up as a fugk. Went to the doc and he told me to never use q tips. He said you’re just pushing wax down deeper.
🤷‍♂️ Worked fine until it didn’t.

He used a water pik with warm water. It was amazing.

I use a syringe and warm water.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Hydrochloric acid and a Shop-Vac.
Posted By: softailrider Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Mine can only be removed by an ENT MD using one of those vacuum devices. Water method doesn't work for me.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Am thinking that the stuff is not actually wax. But, what?
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by CCCC
Am thinking that the stuff is not actually wax. But, what?

Dead skin cells and skin oils. Try a dermatologist. They'll probably put a few drops of olive oil in your ear to soften the wax up, then use suction. Sometimes suction with a looped wire or alligator forceps. It comes off in layers and you need to be damned careful of the eardrum. Best to let a Doc handle it if it's that bad.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
30 years ago, Doc cleared my ears out with a Water-Pic. Worked extremely well.
Posted By: hardway Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
I use a couple q-tips after every shower..... I chit you not.... had my general doc tell me my ears were "TOO" clean 🥴 Says you need "some" wax to catch anything that gets in there but fugg that.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Keeping the wax out of the ear is important with hearing aides.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by 54Woody
A couples drops of Hydrogen Peroxide will soften and loosen, then rinse in the shower and wipe clean with a q-tip. Do this once a week.

What my mom used to do, she'd put my ear on a heating pad to really soften the wax, then put me bad ear up ant dump Hydrogen Peroxide in, you could hear it fizzing and bubbling.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
If you do any of the water suggestions, make sure it is WARM water. Cold water to the ear drum will make you dizzy as snot and/or pass out. We do about 1-2 ear clean outs a week in our moderate sized local ER.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
I chit you not.... had my general doc tell me my ears were "TOO" clean 🥴 Says you need "some" wax to catch anything that gets in there
^^^^This...
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Use an ear wax candle

Not.

Those are hyped, but don't do anything useful. Probably don't hurt anything, but they have been proven a hoax long ago.

Tell me it ain't so, lol

Ya gotta go and spoil everything
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I used q tips daily for years. One day I couldn’t hear. Ears clogged up as a fugk. Went to the doc and he told me to never use q tips. He said you’re just pushing wax down deeper.
🤷‍♂️ Worked fine until it didn’t.

He used a water pik with warm water. It was amazing.

I use a syringe and warm water.

The Q-Tip procedure is a developed fine art.

It's best when preformed as a preventive maintenance procedure multiple times a week.

It's common in what some consider to be their routine personal hygiene habits.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
My ears produce lots of wax that needs cleaning out so it doesn't clog my hearing aids.
Those squeeze squirt things used to suck snot out of a baby's nose work very well for washing ears. A few drops of peroxide dissolves wax very well and is a lot cheaper than the commercial ear wax removers. Use the squirter to put a few drops of peroxide in then hold your head sideways for a few minutes to let it work. Then wash it out.
Once you get them clean, a weekly use of a q-tip with some mineral oil will remove small amounts of wax.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by 54Woody

Once a month here but use a little squeeze bulb to flush
Posted By: CCCC Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My ears produce lots of wax that needs cleaning out so it doesn't clog my hearing aids.
Those squeeze squirt things used to suck snot out of a baby's nose work very well for washing ears. A few drops of peroxide dissolves wax very well and is a lot cheaper than the commercial ear wax removers. Use the squirter to put a few drops of peroxide in then hold your head sideways for a few minutes to let it work. Then wash it out.
Once you get them clean, a weekly use of a q-tip with some mineral oil will remove small amounts of wax.

When we had babies I used about that same terminology - until our oldest, at about age 10 and having become somewhat polite, said: Daddy, the proper term is "nasal aspirator".

I kept that little bulb (bought in 1961) and still use it for ears and nose as others described.

Also saved a few of the cloth Curity diapers from those happy days - keep one or two in each saxophone/clarinet case for wipe down after playing.

Ears have been important - fingers, too.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Stinky old man syndrome, reverting to childhood again, don’t like to bathe, goes to gun shows smelling like cat pee and sour milk. Only wants to eat sweets and watch tv, stays in a recliner all day smelling like ass, laptop in lap, munching on Funyuns, farting. Poopie pants wearing a diaper.
Gets mad easily, fleas in beard, ice cream and crumbs in beard, never washes cock or ass crack. Wash cloth wipe down once a week. Wears same clothes for 2 weeks.

Wants to be called “Jerry” instead of Gerald.

Hearing aids come with a cleaning kit unless you got them from the As Seen On TV Store in Gstlinburg for $14.99 and you should maintain them weekly

If not, order some small dental micro bristle cleaning tips for using around your probably rotten last 3 teeth

Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Most doctors will tell you not to use q-tips because most people end up just packing the wax even worse.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Nasty fugk

Bullshit! All that does is pack it down even more!
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Ear wax! - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This is my tool of choice. About every 2 months or so.

My ears make enough wax to do floors.
Posted By: victoro Re: Ear wax! - 12/23/23
Well I fixed my ear wax problem in 2 days and I can hear ok again. I had already tried almost everything that was suggested (except for using a water pik) and I ended up using the DEBROX ear wax remover kit. The instructions say to put 10 drops each ear, put cotton in your ears so it won't run out, leave it in for a few minutes and then then flush your ears out with warm water. Do this twice a day for up to 4 days. The first time I waited 3 minutes and nothing came out of either ear. I got a very small amount out with q-tips. The next day I put 10 drops in my left ear while I was laying down so it would go all the way down and waited 5 full minutes. When I flushed my left ear with warm water big chunks of ear wax came out. The same thing happened with my right ear. The next day smaller chunks came out of both ears in the morning and no wax came out that evening.

I ordered a WIFI ear camera from Amazon $28.13 and it will work on your phone or laptop. When I get it and make sure I got all the ear wax out I'll go back to Costo for another hearing test.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Ear wax! - 12/24/23
Good. My medical provider, Kaiser, had me use mineral oil. Three drops in each ear for three minutes. Got most of it out. Need to do it once a week. When I shower, I rinse my ears with warm water.
I, too, used Q-tips for years. Got some out, but it packed the ears with wax over time. So, I don't use them deep inside my ears any longer. E
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ear wax! - 12/24/23
Nasty fugk

Slummy, Q-tips just pack it in tighter.
I just go to my nurse practitioner to get it removed.
Gets worse (more common) after you wind up with hearing aids.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ear wax! - 12/24/23
Ever been talking to some old nasty fugg and when they turn sideways, it looks like peanut butter is oozing out of their ear hole?

Do some of you not have any body awareness…like “ohh I should take a shower, or blow your breath into your cupped hands? Oh I should brush my teeth before mixing it up with the public..
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ear wax! - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Nasty fugk

Only if you’re heavy handed and waited 6 months too long.

Don’t ram it in the as if youre packing a canon wad. Spin it in, spin it out, catch small bits of wax on the fibers. Cmon man
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ear wax! - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Nasty fugk

Only if you’re heavy handed and waited 6 months too long.

Don’t ram it in the as if youre packing a canon wad. Spin it in, spin it out, catch small bits of wax on the fibers. Cmon man
Still rams it in - trust me.
© 24hourcampfire