Home
Not sold on the Decra brand per say, but the general idea of interlocking metal roof panel does have some appeal.

https://www.decra.com/metal-shake-roofing

Thanks
Any help?
Looks like a good idea. We have a rental house, and one year we rented to a couple from Australia. The guy's father came over from Australia for a visit. We had an old roof of asphalt shingles and were going to have it replaced.

Australian guy was amazed. He said "This roof must be replaced every 25 years? I don't get it."

He said that in Australia, all roofs are made of metal and never need replacement.
Wouldn’t it sweat underneath? I always assumed that was the reason traditional metal roofing was placed over lathing material so it could breathe.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Looks like a good idea. We have a rental house, and one year we rented to a couple from Australia. The guy's father came over from Australia for a visit. We had an old roof of asphalt shingles and were going to have it replaced.

Australian guy was amazed. He said "This roof must be replaced every 25 years? I don't get it."

He said that in Australia, all roofs are made of metal and never need replacement.

I am chasing Decra (and other types) with some GC friends. I will post info later, If I go this route.

By comparison... the Decra type product does appear to be 2x or 3x of traditional AR asphalt regarding cost. But labor seems a touch less maybe.

Again... this is early knowledge acquisition stuff... i.e. just think on it...

The nailing on this one seems totally ass-backwards to me.
The company I work for (in snow country) built a sky lodge and restaurant at the top of the mountain at a local resort. This product was specified by the architect and has performed well in a pretty extreme environment with very high winds and 20+ ft of snowfall in good years. I wasn’t involved in that build as it happened before my time with the company, but I understand it installs over sleepers and our local roofing professionals don’t have any reservations using it. Flirted with it on a project but the owner chose to go standing seam instead. Winters up here can be hell on roofs.
© 24hourcampfire