Home
Posted By: viking Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Who has them? Are they hyper all the time?
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Have one now, had one other before this one.

No, they aren't hyper all the time.

They are hunting fools and need lots of exercise.
Posted By: fester Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by viking
My uncles was wound fer sound! Damn thing was a
rat and cat killing machine! I wouldn’t have believed it
about the cat killing until I saw it. Pretty damn impressive, imo. 😂
Posted By: thunderbritches Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I have what is called a Decker Terrier. Look like a ratty but heavier with a lot more muscle. A lot calmer and quieter than the rat terriers I've owned. Strong prey drive but manageable.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
They have LOTS of energy and do need exercise. I would take mine to the local school or park and he would run and run, amazing! Mine was a great dog and sorely missed.
Posted By: Motown Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Just had to put down our jack russell back in October and she was one hell of a dog. I have had a bunch of labs in my life, but our jack was the smartest dog I have ever seen.

She lived to be 15 and was pretty hyper for the first 8 years or so but calmed down a bit. We still have an english lab that is loyal as hell and I love him to death, but that jack was probably the most favorite dog I have ever had.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I am on my 3rd and 4th
Very Smart ,Hyper and Stubborn at times.

Great dogs
They keep their puppy energy into their 5th year and sometime more.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I had a long legged JRT ( AKC now has separated them, short legs are JRT’s and long legs are Parson Russells) for 17.5 years. IMO the long legged ones are not as hyper. That being said they need a ton of excercise. I used to run 3 miles before work on the BLM we live next to, when I got home we’d go for a 9 mile lap on the mountain bike and sometimes after that I’d take the atv down the ditchbank for a few miles. I thought I’d wear him out but all I did was build endurance. He was the best dog I’ve ever had. A real rodent killer.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: hardway Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I have a 1/2 rat 1/2 Jack Russell .... she is a great dog. She has been deer and hog hunting with me for years.... still hunting she would work like a bird dog to about 50-75 yards without barking. She jumped a lot of black tails that I would have never seen..... around the house she would hunt and kill ANYTHING she could catch..... scrapped it up with a stray bulldog and had to have a bunch of stitches.... if you get one be aware they are on a 24 hour suicide mission.... not afraid of anything.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I had a little 11lb, 11” tall bitch that was a holy terror on cats, rats, and pretty much any critter her size or smaller. Had her about 5 years and ended up running over her backing a tractor out of the machine shed. I always figured a mouse ran under the rear tire and she went after it. Sad day and I was not a favorite of my kids for a while. She had a litter of 5 pups about 10 days old we had to finish out. What a mess.

Overall she was pretty laid back. Unless of course she was in the killing mode.

Agree that they are not afraid of anything.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
A friend of mine ended up with 5 JRTs in a large fenced in yard. He calls them his "yard piranhas". They got that name when a large neighbor dog, that had been harassing them, got in his yard and was going to beat up on one of them. All five of his Jacks picked different a spot to bite on that 80 lb dog and started trying to eat their way in. That dog couldn't get out of their fast enough, dragging them along with him, and never ever made a peep again.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Like a smart kid…….be up to the job.

They are very aggressive……..spend time with them.

Great dogs.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Get a JRT and you’ll be hooked for life…
Posted By: 99guy Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I had a male that was the worst dog I have ever owned. He was a nasty dirty little mutha fugga. He thought my wife was his women. He couldn't get along with our other dogs or any other dog for that matter. Outside of my wife, he just hated everyone and everything. It's a long story be we eventually had to have him put down. I hated that little cork sucker.

I have a high school buddy who has a female and she is a sweetheart.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Easy pass!
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Great dogs. But very energetic and they require lots of exercise and something to focus their energy on. We had a female and she was very sweet.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
My old neighbors got one as a little puppy. Fast forward 1 year, they came home and the dog was painted head to toe in blood. Their beloved cat who had been raises with the dog was strewn across the house in pieces. Cat out weighed the dog by 5 lbs or so. They got rid of the dog. Couldn't look at him. Lol
I tried to adopt it but they wanted to never see it again. They were ignorant idiots.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Went to see one that an Asian had to rehome so it was free, it bit my then young daughter, so that ended the adoption right then.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
They are EXTREMELY intelligent and athletic as all get out. They're like a miniature pit bull in physique and it's near impossible to keep them in a gated or fenced yard. Talk about a mole killer. Mine used to kick the shìt out of my Rottweiler.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Great little killers. Bred to go into a fox's hole, kill it, and drag it out. That's a animal about the same size, with all the same equipment onboard as he has.

I once saw a man walking through Home Depot with a Jack behind him. No leash. The dog followed him everywhere he went in there, never getting more than a couple of yards away, but usually closer. The man paid zero attention to him. No calling him back, or encouraging him to keep up. The dog just did it. I was impressed.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Had a little JRT years ago. Barney. He was short leg and rough coat. Ugly fella. Head like an alligator and a duck killing SOB.

There was a big pond where I’d take the dogs to run. One day while talking with folks I noticed the JRT had disappeared. Start looking around and see him creeping up the steep pond bank on the far side of the pond.
At the top of the bank was an old woman sitting on a bench feeding a whole mess of ducks. She even had a little pail with ducks stenciled on it that held the bread or whatever it was she was feeding.

I watched as he crept to the top, I swear the little bastard was low crawling like a cat, and then bum rushed the whole flock around the old woman’s feet.

The ducks exploded into the air making a racket. One duck was a bit slow to get sufficient altitude. Barney lept into the air, snagged the duck, and proceeded to shake the everlovin’ life, as well as guts, out of it.

The old woman about schit. She was so pissed, traumatized, and bewildered she didn’t know what to do.

I still laugh about it 25 years later. He was a good dog.
Posted By: viking Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
thought I’d wear him out but all I did was build endurance. He was the best dog I’ve ever had. A real rodent killer.

yard piranhas".

on a 24 hour suicide mission.... not afraid of anything.

Hilarious.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Casey was half Jack and half traveling salesman.

A great companion, she was MY dog. She liked my wife, learned to
tolerate our kids.

Nothing came into our yard on her watch, nothing!
I can still see her running our neighbors Lab mix home.
Right on his ass, taking a bite of it every few feet. It's over 300 yards, she never
slowed down until they were in his yard, then she strutted home.

The bad.
She cost us hundreds of dollars in shoes and library books in the first few months.
Came home one day and my 45 Vacquero was on the floor by the bed post.
She had eaten the holster.

Got a crate and used that when we left her home alone, couple years age and
she was ok left alone.

She bit....rarely.
No nonsense, we watched her around kids. She would show her teeth multiple times
before she bit. But it wasn't a game, she was pissed and getting madder.
Never really drew blood, she pulled her punches.
My wife was the one who got it most, maybe 2 or 3 times over 13 years.

I'm not tolerant of that, and was close to taking her for a walk on a few occasions.
But I'm also a realist. If you are going to play with aggressive dogs, they are
going to show their bad behavior. Just like Beagles can't help following their nose.

She only ever bit one person bad...me.
A gash that revealed tendons in my hand.
By then she was old, deaf, going blind, and crotchety.
We put her down soon after.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Had a little JRT years ago. Barney. He was short leg and rough coat. Ugly fella. Head like an alligator and a duck killing SOB.

There was a big pond where I’d take the dogs to run. One day while talking with folks I noticed the JRT had disappeared. Start looking around and see him creeping up the steep pond bank on the far side of the pond.
At the top of the bank was an old woman sitting on a bench feeding a whole mess of ducks. She even had a little pail with ducks stenciled on it that held the bread or whatever it was she was feeding.

I watched as he crept to the top, I swear the little bastard was low crawling like a cat, and then bum rushed the whole flock around the old woman’s feet.

The ducks exploded into the air making a racket. One duck was a bit slow to get sufficient altitude. Barney lept into the air, snagged the duck, and proceeded to shake the everlovin’ life, as well as guts, out of it.

The old woman about schit. She was so pissed, traumatized, and bewildered she didn’t know what to do.

I still laugh about it 25 years later. He was a good dog.

Reading this, thinking of you, hoping you would tell that!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Hah! Old Barney. Got him from a chicken farm over by Winder GA.

I should see if I can find it again. Maybe they still have some dogs around.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
We are finely a Jack free home....had 2 for over 16 years one was a true Jack Russel the other a Parsons Russel....I've had Labs, Golden Retrievers, Rottweilers and Airedales there is only one dog close Rottweiler only in a smaller package that didn't care how big anything is....
Would feed the deer every winter one day the Parsons snuck out the door and took off after the deer there was around 30 one very large doe didn't run but stood its ground and it was a going to fight....I ran out there and the deer decided to run with the dog trying to run in 18" of snow it was easy to catch it but it had a bad attitude because it didn't get the deer....
The last one we lost had to be put down because of a brain tumor a crazy dog that was going more crazy because of the tumor....she had never never bit any one but showed her teeth if she didn't like the situation... but one day was sitting on the lounge chair with her between my legs sleeping she jumped up when I moved turned around and bit me on my nose luckily I had glass on that saved me from a worst bite....how mean she had gotten it was time to put her down....she couldn't be trusted any more....

No more dogs in my house getting to old and not fair to the dogs.....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
The first dog I remember was a rat terrier, bulldog cross. Bud.
Posted By: Steve Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
My buddy called his a four legged adrenal gland.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
My 1st Jack was about the smartest dog I've ever been around, which has included many highly trained German Shepard's & Border Collies.

She LOVED playing with balls and was a bit obsessed, but would have never called her hyper. At eight weeks of age she could figure things out and was a wonderful dog that went everywhere with me. She didn't like many people, but never did anything unless bothered. She'd growl in some manner that told over dogs to get the F... out of her way and she'd walk right past them. I've never seen another dog that could growl like her and not get into a fight.

Had her for 14 1/2 years, before Cancer took her. Still miss her....

Have another Jack now that's been a great dog, but not nearly as smart. Still loves playing with balls, but also would not consider ever having been hyper.

Both Jacks were from parents registered with the Jack Russell Terrier Club Association, which has pretty high requirements.
Posted By: misfire270 Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I have a mountain fiest and he is wide open and a squirrel treeing machine. [Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_7276.jpeg
Posted By: EdM Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Tough little dogs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Twopatch Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I had a rat ,he was a cool little dog. His skull was one size too small for his brain. He would never back down from Any other dog. He would get put in his place often. He was friends with my lab. The little guy was scared to death of gunshots and fireworks. One July he busted a fence board and ran away and got ran over. He Got scared of fireworks going off,from down the street. Would I get another one? If I had another dog to keep him occupied.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by BuzzH

This. Exactly.

They dont have to be hunting but they have to be included in whatever you do. If you take them along they are happy little dogs that are easy to work with. If you dont, they'll make your life miserable.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by BuzzH

they have to be included in whatever you do. .

You don't say....

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24

No. Sometimes they fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion. Get ready, doesn't take long to regenerate.

Jack Russell Terrier = 110v dog wired to 440v
Posted By: 6mmCreedmoor Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Had 3 at the same time. They are killing machines, very smart, loyal and have zero quit in them. 3 at the same time is too much.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've got a giant sized one. A fifty pounder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Good lord man! Three at one time, good lord.
Good lord man! Three at one time, good lord.

Learning curve brother.
Posted By: EdM Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
The dog of Africa. This one liked my wife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Do they make good truck dogs?
They tussled with 2 pit bulls

Posted By: frank500 Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
We are the caretaker of a border terrier. Good around people, great buddy for wife and I. Smart, energetic, needs exercise and hunts. Got him on mountain grouse last fall at a year old. Now every little bird on the desert is chased and flushed. Hates coyote as well. Going to be an interesting life with him.
Boston Terriers can be scrappers, too. My neighbor had a male one back in the late 1980s (cool little dog), and he'd let him out with him loose. One day, I came out my front door with my 85 pound Doberman on a leash, and that little SOB charged him, jumped up, literally latched onto my Doberman's throat, and was hanging by his grip, no feet touching the ground. To get him off, my Doberman crashed down on him with his full body weight and crushed him till he had to let go. Then his owner grabbed him up and apologized. No blood drawn, though.
Current dog has less than zero fight in her. Looks ain't deceiving with her. It is what it is.....

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by slumlord

A Jack Rezzle does.

5 minutes ago.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Jack Russels? - 01/07/24
I have a good friend who runs rabbits. Mostly short legged beagles. He owns Jack Russell male that's his house dog and 2 female Jack Russell beagle crosses those 2 could find rabbits in the parking lot at Walmart. They are high energy and smart.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by slumlord

A Jack Rezzle does.

5 minutes ago.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Good looking doggo Brother Sam
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
Thanks man, she's a super dog.

Rescue pup that my mom brought home. Not a cow dog but damn smart and listens really well. Thought about doing the dog DNA test, almost positive she has some JRT blood, awesome dog.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
I like dogs. As my Dad said, to train a Dog, you have to be smarter that than the dog.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
Spark used to go mountain biking with us. We got up early one 4th of July to get a ride in before it got hot. We rode the loop and got back to the parking lot and there was one group of riders getting ready. There was also one large prairie dog standing in the lot that was habituated to humans and thus unafraid. Spark hit it on the full run and shook it to pieces in front of the startled group. One of the Woman kept shouting “do something”. Spark was doing something alright. In retrospect I’m lucky I didn’t get a ticket or something. Good boy.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Spark used to go mountain biking with us. We got up early one 4th of July to get a ride in before it got hot. We rode the loop and got back to the parking lot and there was one group of riders getting ready. There was also one large prairie dog standing in the lot that was habituated to humans and thus unafraid. Spark hit it on the full run and shook it to pieces in front of the startled group. One of the Woman kept shouting “do something”. Spark was doing something alright. In retrospect I’m lucky I didn’t get a ticket or something. Good boy.

That made me laugh just thinking about it.
Posted By: viking Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thanks man, she's a super dog.

Rescue pup that my mom brought home. Not a cow dog but damn smart and listens really well. Thought about doing the dog DNA test, almost positive she has some JRT blood, awesome dog.

I was through the Rez, Brockton, popular and WolfPoint on last Thursday. I counted 13 Rez dogs in Popular, just as many burnt out houses.

Those dogs just trot around happy as can be.
Posted By: Paperwasp Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
On my second one. If you can’t get thru stage where you want to strangle them without doing it don’t get one, too hard on both of you. After that best dog I know.
Posted By: JPro Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Originally Posted by BeanMan

That made me laugh just thinking about it.

Indeed!
Posted By: JPro Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
We saw a dog a few years back at a local festival that was a bouncy and super-cool pup that I'd have loved to own. He was adopted as a rescue puppy and looked like your typical smooth-coated Parsons or JRT, being white with the brown ears and forehead, along with one brown spot by his stubby tail. Only different is that he was about 65lbs and the size of a typical Dalmatian. He was almost comical looking, like a JRT grown in a lab. His head height was at my waist. Owners had no idea of his breeding but agreed that he was likely a one of a kind dog.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Jack Russels? - 01/08/24
© 24hourcampfire