Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Who has them? Are they hyper all the time?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Have one now, had one other before this one.

No, they aren't hyper all the time.

They are hunting fools and need lots of exercise.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by viking
Who has them? Are they hyper all the time?
My uncles was wound fer sound! Damn thing was a
rat and cat killing machine! I wouldn’t have believed it
about the cat killing until I saw it. Pretty damn impressive, imo. 😂

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have what is called a Decker Terrier. Look like a ratty but heavier with a lot more muscle. A lot calmer and quieter than the rat terriers I've owned. Strong prey drive but manageable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have LOTS of energy and do need exercise. I would take mine to the local school or park and he would run and run, amazing! Mine was a great dog and sorely missed.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just had to put down our jack russell back in October and she was one hell of a dog. I have had a bunch of labs in my life, but our jack was the smartest dog I have ever seen.

She lived to be 15 and was pretty hyper for the first 8 years or so but calmed down a bit. We still have an english lab that is loyal as hell and I love him to death, but that jack was probably the most favorite dog I have ever had.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am on my 3rd and 4th
Very Smart ,Hyper and Stubborn at times.

Great dogs
They keep their puppy energy into their 5th year and sometime more.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a long legged JRT ( AKC now has separated them, short legs are JRT’s and long legs are Parson Russells) for 17.5 years. IMO the long legged ones are not as hyper. That being said they need a ton of excercise. I used to run 3 miles before work on the BLM we live next to, when I got home we’d go for a 9 mile lap on the mountain bike and sometimes after that I’d take the atv down the ditchbank for a few miles. I thought I’d wear him out but all I did was build endurance. He was the best dog I’ve ever had. A real rodent killer.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 1/2 rat 1/2 Jack Russell .... she is a great dog. She has been deer and hog hunting with me for years.... still hunting she would work like a bird dog to about 50-75 yards without barking. She jumped a lot of black tails that I would have never seen..... around the house she would hunt and kill ANYTHING she could catch..... scrapped it up with a stray bulldog and had to have a bunch of stitches.... if you get one be aware they are on a 24 hour suicide mission.... not afraid of anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a little 11lb, 11” tall bitch that was a holy terror on cats, rats, and pretty much any critter her size or smaller. Had her about 5 years and ended up running over her backing a tractor out of the machine shed. I always figured a mouse ran under the rear tire and she went after it. Sad day and I was not a favorite of my kids for a while. She had a litter of 5 pups about 10 days old we had to finish out. What a mess.

Overall she was pretty laid back. Unless of course she was in the killing mode.

Agree that they are not afraid of anything.

Last edited by muleshoe; 01/06/24.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend of mine ended up with 5 JRTs in a large fenced in yard. He calls them his "yard piranhas". They got that name when a large neighbor dog, that had been harassing them, got in his yard and was going to beat up on one of them. All five of his Jacks picked different a spot to bite on that 80 lb dog and started trying to eat their way in. That dog couldn't get out of their fast enough, dragging them along with him, and never ever made a peep again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like a smart kid…….be up to the job.

They are very aggressive……..spend time with them.

Great dogs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Get a JRT and you’ll be hooked for life…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a male that was the worst dog I have ever owned. He was a nasty dirty little mutha fugga. He thought my wife was his women. He couldn't get along with our other dogs or any other dog for that matter. Outside of my wife, he just hated everyone and everything. It's a long story be we eventually had to have him put down. I hated that little cork sucker.

I have a high school buddy who has a female and she is a sweetheart.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Easy pass!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great dogs. But very energetic and they require lots of exercise and something to focus their energy on. We had a female and she was very sweet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old neighbors got one as a little puppy. Fast forward 1 year, they came home and the dog was painted head to toe in blood. Their beloved cat who had been raises with the dog was strewn across the house in pieces. Cat out weighed the dog by 5 lbs or so. They got rid of the dog. Couldn't look at him. Lol
I tried to adopt it but they wanted to never see it again. They were ignorant idiots.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Went to see one that an Asian had to rehome so it was free, it bit my then young daughter, so that ended the adoption right then.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They are EXTREMELY intelligent and athletic as all get out. They're like a miniature pit bull in physique and it's near impossible to keep them in a gated or fenced yard. Talk about a mole killer. Mine used to kick the shìt out of my Rottweiler.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Great little killers. Bred to go into a fox's hole, kill it, and drag it out. That's a animal about the same size, with all the same equipment onboard as he has.

I once saw a man walking through Home Depot with a Jack behind him. No leash. The dog followed him everywhere he went in there, never getting more than a couple of yards away, but usually closer. The man paid zero attention to him. No calling him back, or encouraging him to keep up. The dog just did it. I was impressed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 16 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.