Home
Aviation 24/7

N558RA Livingston Montana 11 JAN 2024

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
SamOlsen is involved,, ...
Looks like he overran the runway. Slightly.
prolly one of them Ted Turner types that want us not to corner cross on "their" ranches
Probably Shraps prairie dog spot.
Engines look slightly askew.

Conflicting reports...

The owner of Yellowstone Air Services says weather was not a factor despite snow on the ground, possibly brake failure was the cause..pilots walked away. According to the video below.

This report is even more conflicting..

Livingston, Mont. — An airplane crashed after missing the runway at the Livingston airport Thursday morning, according to the Park County Sherriff's Office.

Just after 9:00 AM on Thursday, January 11, 2024, the FAA reported an airplane missed the runway and crashed at the Livingston airport.

Park County Sheriff's deputies responded to the scene with the Montana Highway Patrol and Livingston Fire and Rescue.

Passengers have been transported to an undisclosed hospital to tend to injuries,
according to the Park County Sherriff's Office. The number of people injured and what injuries they obtained is not known at this time.

https://www.montanarightnow.com/boz...4bf7cca-b0c9-11ee-89ad-33aef8dd5e09.html
While not ideal it appears to have been a good landing. The plane is more or less in one piece instead of a debris field and it didn’t burst into flames. Pretty good chance everyone on board lived but needed new underwear.
Pretty windy and -28 today.
Could have added to whatever other mistakes were made.
It's been windy as F--- there, may have been a factor.

But then it is usually windy as F--- there, so.....
It looks like they could have walked away. So, that's a good thing.
That’s kinda of a f…k up, ain’t it????
Considering where the plane appears to be sitting, I would say they were very lucky, and Jesus must have been flying that plane.
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
Considering where the plane appears to be sitting, I would say they were very lucky, and Jesus must have been flying that plane.
If so, according to one report, he was taken to the hospital for a drug test. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
If so, according to one report, he was taken to the hospital for a drug test. GD

Might be standard procedure to drug test pilots after an incident.
Looks like a good last landing for the pilot
Some Rez Boys got into some Grand Canadian.
As Chuck would say - If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing.
This is about what it looks like when you sell your aging Lear Jet to your insurance company.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-learjet-55-longhorn-livingston
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
It's been windy as F--- there, may have been a factor.

But then it is usually windy as F--- there, so.....

A good stiff tail wind can make getting a plane whoa'ed a little tricky.

I can't find a local weather station real close to the runway but other nearby stations were not experiencing much of any wind on the date and time of this incident in Livingston.

PenAir Flight 3296

Flight origin: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport
Destination: Unalaska Airport (Dutch Harbor)
October 17, 2019

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

As the aircraft approached the airport, the wind changed from 210 degrees at 8 knots (9.2 mph; 14.8 km/h; 4.1 m/s) to 180 degrees at 7 knots (8.1 mph; 13.0 km/h; 3.6 m/s), but was reported as 270 degrees at 10 knots (11.5 mph; 18.5 km/h; 5.1 m/s).

The aircraft became unstable and a go-around was executed.
The flight returned for a visual approach onto Runway 13.
The wind speed increased and the controller reported that winds were 300 degrees at 24 knots (28 mph; 44 km/h; 12 m/s).

The crew decided to continue with the landing and touched down at 17:40.

The aircraft landed 1,001 feet (305 m) down the runway with reverse thrust and wheel-braking inputs by the captain.

When the aircraft reached 80 knots (92 mph; 150 km/h), maximum braking was applied.
As an overrun was imminent, the pilots steered the aircraft right to avoid going into the water past the runway end.

Attempts to stop on the paved runway surface failed, and the aircraft crossed a section of grass and then broke through a chain perimeter fence and crossed a ditch.

On the day of the accident, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) launched an investigation.

Two years later, on November 2, 2021, the final report was released, 
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) authorizing Unalaska Airport to operate the Saab 2000 without taking the runway safety area into consideration first, and the flight crew's decision to land in a tailwind that exceeded Saab's limits (which the NTSB labeled as inappropriate) were also factors in the accident.
I didnt know you could land a plane like that at Livingston. A Lear Jet? The Bozeman airport is only 25 miles away.
The runway they landed on (4/22) is 5,701ft. × 75 ft, the longest runway they have there.

From what I've read of the jets capabilities and limits, taking off from that airport could be more challenging than landing.

Takeoff Distance: 5600 ft
Landing Distance: 2800 ft

Being it was supposedly being used to haul cargo, I'd guess weight may factor in there with stopping capability, but maybe that's just how it works in my pickup.

[Linked Image from aopa.org]
As we used to say, any landing you can walk away from is a good one; a bonus if you can use the airplane again.
If he was trying for the first ever Guiness World Record landing on a cowpath he missed it by a just a few feet.

Perfectly aligned he might have pulled it off!
Touched down too far down the runway I'am going too guess.
The slope where they impacted seems to be pretty steep.
I'd say they were lucky for the "belly Flop impact!
I love the fact that the plane stopped forward motion and then slid sideways down the slope.
For the folks on board, I bet the second sliding movement was as scary as the first.
Rick folk problems. Us poors have to fly Jet Blue or Spirit.
I don't see any skid marks in the snow. I wonder how he managed that. OTOH, I'll bet there are plenty of skid marks in the seats.
Comfortable and expensive deer blind!
Probably made approach too hot and overran the runway! Skid marks seen in the snow!
Pilot a diversity hire?
Originally Posted by TheKid
While not ideal it appears to have been a good landing.

How can you say that?

Also, the media never gets anything aviation related correct. They didn't "miss" the runway, they slid off it having previously being on it...
Originally Posted by GF1
As we used to say, any landing you can walk away from is a good one; a bonus if you can use the airplane again.
Originally Posted by Brad

How can you say that?

Also, the media never gets anything aviation related correct. They didn't "miss" the runway, they slid off it having previously being on it...
To additionally add perspective, the picture is taken from the end of said runway. If I think of it later when I'm on the PC, I'll get a screenshot of Google Earth that shows the site and runway. Regarding no marks in the snow, maybe it happened before it snowed.
Curious how much flight time the crew had. A lot of small cargo and charters have very inexperienced crews who are looking to gain time to move up to airlines.
Looks to me that the craft went down the bank at hand and nose up the hill it’s on until it turned to port 90 degrees and slid down to where it is now. The dark ground scorched by the still active engines until it came to rest.

Osky
I was gonna say, "The pilot, Dr. John Doe, age 84. "

How can you say that?

Guy I used to fly with always said if we walk away from it it’s a good landing. Since it doesn’t appear that the aircraft in question was on fire or scattered in small pieces I presume they limped away from it.

How can you say that?

Guy I used to fly with always said if we walk away from it it’s a good landing. Since it doesn’t appear that the aircraft in question was on fire or scattered in small pieces I presume they limped away from it.

You have a pretty low bar for what you consider to be a "good landing"...
Yeah...to bad they weren't injured.
Looks like our usual small-town airport...

How can you say that?

Pilot an aircraft much?
We always had an airspeed vs. runway remaining that was a go around airspeed so if we didn’t hadn’t decelerated a certain airspeed at a “runway remaining” marker, we just added power and took it around and tried again.

“I THINK I CAN” has no place on a landing rollout……

There are times where you just have to swallow your pride, bite the bullet and take the nearest exit. In this case, just go around. I used to tell my students that it adds another 0.1 or 0.2 of an hour to your logbook….😁
Originally Posted by ol_mike
SamOlsen is involved,, ...

I wish.
"aim high', they said in my youth.
Glad they're all right - I wonder if they'll volunteer to repair the fence?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Aviation 24/7

There is a dark area above the tail wing. It appears that the plane may have hit there & it then slid down hill.
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
There is a dark area above the tail wing. It appears that the plane may have hit there & it then slid down hill.

I think that is brush,

The plane hit the runway and stayed on it until it ran outta pavement.

Probably wasn't going very fast by then, that's why it appears to have mostly stayed intact.

It got turned sideways at some point after it started down into the gully.

When them big jet engines dug into the turf might have been what caused it to turn.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Thats a long ways from the end of the runway. I’ll bet that was an interesting ride down that hill.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
Aviation 24/7

I doubt the aircraft would be that much intact if it hit at that spot.
A Montana sleigh ride!
https://www.ktvq.com/news/montana-n...way-at-livingstons-mission-field-airport
Aviation 24/7

The sequel to "Clifhanger" is "Treehanger"

DIE-versity;
I-nlclusion; and,
E-quity.

Don't you know!?

Or is it the sequel to "Alive"?
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by greydog

Might be standard procedure to drug test pilots after an incident.
Yeah I suspect so. was standard after any vehicle wreck as a simple city employee. Is under our testing for Coast Guard also.
Looks like the Pullman Washington airport.
[Linked Image]

How can you say that?

You have a pretty low bar for what you consider to be a "good landing"...

Relax, Homes. I've heard the same statement and i've got nothing to do with aviation.
A good landing is when I don’t have to change my drawers afterwards
© 24hourcampfire