Home
Same would go for waffles, French toast. I’ve tried most things but I really like cranberry/ apple for a topping. I use whole cranberry sauce from a can and add about 1/2 apple sauce. It’s not over sweet and it’s somewhat natural.
Tennessee save us........
raw honey is rather good and im not big on honey alone.
serp
Eggs
Rogers Syrup if I can find any.
Aint ya mama
Thought they was called flapjacks?
Real maple syrup.
Real butter and real maple syrup
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Real maple syrup.

Anything else is just not right.
Syrup - lots and lots of syrup. It doesn't even have to be great syrup. (As an aside, I cannot abide eggs on the same plate with pancakes/syrup. (Please see first signature line.)
Wabi II ?...
Butter Pecan syrup from the Dulcimer Shop in Mountain View Arkansas
Wife uses maple syrup. I use King Syrup on pancakes, french toast, and often on scrapple. Sometimes put apple butter on scrapple, but more often good ole king syrup. What I grew up with and still my favorite.
P9ckled Hairing
Butter and syrup.
Warm butter and real maple syrup, not that corn syrup stuff.
Real maple syrup. My grandad dumped the grease out of the skillet grandmama fried the sausage in over his.
Chain smoked non filters and lived up 85.
Blueberry pancakes, real Irish butter and DANNYL's real maple syrup.
Lots of real butter and maple syrup
Butter and Vermont real maple syrup
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

That’s what GrandDad always called them.
He also always had a big ole metal can of that Brer Rabbit Syrup. 😬. Good stuff.
I used to always uby Aunt Jemima. Until they became PC. 😡
I’m not saying. Too many kinky people round here.
Peanut butter and real maple syrup
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

NO! (And not hotcakes, either!)
Honey sometimes peanut butter
Originally Posted by misfire270
Honey sometimes peanut butter

Peanut butter mixed with Karo Syrup on hot buttered biscuits is damn good ! Sometimes I put a slab of bacon inside the biscuits before I dip them in the peanut butter and syrup mix. 🤠
Peanut Butter and syrup.
My grandkids call this "Papa's syrup". If you choose to make it I suggest you get a bigger pot than what you think you need.

Buttermilk syrup

Ingredients
1½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions
Combine the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, baking soda, and salt. Bring the mixture to
a boil and boil for 7 minutes (or until it's a light caramel color), stirring constantly.
When caramelized, remove the mixture from heat. Stir in vanilla extract (it will
bubble at first). Serve the syrup warm.
Soft butter and a heavy coating of sugar. Roll it up and eat it like a burrito
Pecans in the batter
Bananas and syrup on top
A little butter doesn’t hurt either
It's all about Maine blueberries in the batter and real Vermont maple syrup on the stack...and plenty of it.
Crunchy peanut butter
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Crunchy peanut butter
Now that sounds good!
I looked through this thread expecting to find a seven paragraph post from Jim Conrad.
Peanut butter and Danny’s maple syrup.
Pecans in the batter, real Butter and real maple syrup….side of bacon or sausage
Be talkin' 'bout,..."Well first I lay 'em out side by side,..then butter, of course, then comes the sour cream with chives topped with some local honey. By then it's time to pull the beef brisket out of the smoker, shred it and lay on a generous layer topped with mild salsa, crunchy peanut butter stirred up with Hellman's mayo and layered with bacon. Fry up an egg for every pancake and apply accordingly. Now comes the guacamole. Don't scrimp on it! You can never have too much guacamole.

,...then it's time to harpoon the whale".
Butter and King syrup.
Haven't had pancakes in years but it's gotta be maple or chokecherry syrup.
Butter and Steens pure cane ribbon syrup.
Golden rod honey, pure maple syrup or blueberries
I like peanut butter with dark syrup.

When i eat waffles i try just butter but have put on peanut butter.

It takes a lot to even out the divots. grin
Make the batter using egg nog and sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans in them while cooking serve with butter and syrup of your choice, bacon, sausage old ham optional.
okay, i'l bite... hi rent butter & Real Wisconsin Maple Syrup, medium to dark amber variety... and don't forget the pork sausage on the side, especially when it's snowing out... otherwise homemade Raspberry or Strawberry preserves...
With Pennsylvania maple syrup.
Not a fan of pancakes or waffles.

They were a staple food when I was 5yrs old to almost 10 years old.
To this day the smell of pancakes, waffles and maple syrup makes me gag
Originally Posted by CRS

Same here!
Interesting timing of this thread...

Being here in Michigan my answer is butter and maple syrup.

Over Christmas, was in Houston, TX visiting wifes mom, brother and his family.

His in laws are from Louisianna. One day we all met for breakfast and I was bitchin about the non-maple syrup at the restaurant.

Old boy from Louisianna said that if I were to have Steen's Pure Cane Syrup, I would throw my maple syrup in the trash. Well, on the drive home from Houston, we stopped at The Best Stop in Scott, LA for some cracklins and boudin balls. Sitting there on the shelf was a glass bottle of Steens. Added it to the basket.

Tomorrow we are having pancakes, sausage, and some eggs.

Will get to try the Cane syrup out, and see if I toss the Maple in the trash
Originally Posted by cra1948
Real maple syrup.

Anything else is just not right.

^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

His in laws are from Louisianna. One day we all met for breakfast and I was bitchin about the non-maple syrup at the restaurant.

Old boy from Louisianna said that if I were to have Steen's Pure Cane Syrup, I would throw my maple syrup in the trash. Well, on the drive home from Houston, we stopped at The Best Stop in Scott, LA for some cracklins and boudin balls. Sitting there on the shelf was a glass bottle of Steens. Added it to the basket.

Your maple syrup won't be leaving.
Real butter is a given around here. Nothing but for spreading on anything that needs butter. Wife makes her own pancake batter and fries them in a cast iron skillet with lard for grease. Same with french toast. Can't beat it in my opinion but others might disagree.
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

Should’ve bought some Brer Rabbit! 😬
Peanut butter with maple syrup and butter sounds good . Like one of those meals that sticks for awhile
Sweet and sticky .....

Blueberry pie filling, butter, real whipped cream, and a dash of maple syrup.....
Pure maple syrup most of the time over the top of some sweet butter melted onto the pancakes. Sometimes with a couple eggs over easy on top with syrup slathered over the top of them. Once in a while I sprinkle powdered sugar and lemon juice over my pancakes and french toast and I love it, but it is rich and sweet, so about one or two is all I can handle.

I make the pancakes in the house and especially when the grand kids come over. My kids love my pancakes as I have a trick when I make them that makes them especially light and fluffy- about like restaurant pancakes, but with some flavor...
Sourdough pancakes or waffles with huckleberries, real butter, real maple syrup (every once in a while, Chokecherry syrup or molasse), applewood smoked bacon and cowboy coffee.
Brown sugar and cream.
You peanut butter folks are not keeping up since you are not specifying the by-god-only brand of the peanut butter.
Butter and maple syrup. No need to say "real" because the substitutes aren't butter or maple syrup.
Condensed Milk
Jif Honey Roast PB!
Originally Posted by 5sdad
You peanut butter folks are not keeping up since you are not specifying the by-god-only brand of the peanut butter.

Jiff. Everything else pales in comparison.
I like a couple of 5" waffles with lots of butter, a slice of cheese sprinkled with lots of crushed red pepper flakes topped with fried eggs either over easy or sunny side up on top of those waffles. YUM!
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I like a couple of 5" waffles with lots of butter, a slice of cheese sprinkled with lots of crushed red pepper flakes topped with fried eggs either over easy or sunny side up on top of those waffles. YUM!
PJ
I might just try that one day. I do like eggs over pancakes.
2 good size pancakes (about 8" dia or so) smothered with butter, top the bottom one with 2 over easy or sunny side up eggs. Top that with the second pancake (well buttered) and Brer Rabbit black strap molasses, (or genuine maple syrup, if you must). Grampa always wanted a half-rasher of bacon on the side, as do I. Technically a rasher of bacon is one thin slice . . . Grampa's definition was a one pound package was a rasher . . . hence, a half-rasher was a half pound by his definition. I only have a quarter-rasher . . . usually. I limit this meal to once or twice a year as the pancakes and molasses drives my blood sugar through the roof !!!
Never a fan of pancakes. My Father was, Mother not. She and I would eat waffles with bacon amidst with black pepper. Zero sweetness.
I liberally brush melted butter on as pancakes are cooking, or waffles as soon as they come out of the cooker.

If I am lazy, I just roll links or fried eggs up in the pancakes. Or maple syrple is pretty good.

But my favorite is home made strawberry freezer jam spooned over the top, perhaps with a dash of whipped cream, or "Cool Whip" in a pinch.
Butter edge to edge on every pancake then stack them up and pour syrup over the top of the stack
Originally Posted by irfubar

Nailed it, irfubar.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Nailed it, irfubar.

Same here.
Jif extra crunchy. You'll go nuts over the flavor profile.
Sardines
lime or lemon , tabasco
Melted jif topped with cinnamon blackened applesause
Honey, syrup, lots of butter
Every Sunday my sweetheart makes us blueberry pancakes.
I fry an overeasy to top my stack. Bacon or sausage on the side with Vermont maple over all.
By golly, tomorrow is Sunday!
My lips!
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Be talkin' 'bout,..."Well first I lay 'em out side by side,..then butter, of course, then comes the sour cream with chives topped with some local honey. By then it's time to pull the beef brisket out of the smoker, shred it and lay on a generous layer topped with mild salsa, crunchy peanut butter stirred up with Hellman's mayo and layered with bacon. Fry up an egg for every pancake and apply accordingly. Now comes the guacamole. Don't scrimp on it! You can never have too much guacamole.

,...then it's time to harpoon the whale".

Dukes mayo, hellmans is for the peasants
At home peanut butter with real maple syrup, at work strawberries with syrup.
One of the things I had to swear off as a diabetic was pancakes. It had been a weekly thing, sometimes a daily thing, for 40 years.

My pancakes were famous. When I ran the coffeehouse. Sunday morning was the "Pancake Heresy." I'd get up and serve pancakes to whoever showed up. The pancakes were made with whole wheat, buckwheat, and sourdough. It was somebody else that noticed the link to the Eucharist.

I also fixed pancakes at every opportunity outdoors: camping, backpacking, canoeing, etc. A trick I figured out was if I threw peanuts in the batter with the last round or two, folks could use it as trail food. One pancake used to be enough for most people clear past lunch.

KYHillChick will still make me a pancake once in a while when she's making herself a stack. For some reason, maple syrup has always given me heartburn. I prefer butter and Log Cabin.
Real maple syrup - sourced from our own Danny L.
I dont eat pancakes as a rule but when forced to I eat them with butter and syrup. Never was a pancake guy. They make me feel too full.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Same would go for waffles, French toast. I’ve tried most things but I really like cranberry/ apple for a topping. I use whole cranberry sauce from a can and add about 1/2 apple sauce. It’s not over sweet and it’s somewhat natural.

that is SO gay. I use pure cane syrup myself.
Always butter. Usually a toss up between maple syrup or dippy eggs (over easy or sunny side up for those of you not from western Pa.) Sometimes jelly.

Dale
Dippy eggs, butter, and Log Cabin.

And bacon. I wish I had scrapple out here. That too
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Alan_Cranberry

that is SO gay. I use pure cane syrup myself.
Thanks, Brother Licher.
I've heard waffles and chicken go together, but never tried it.

Peanut Butter is just plain wrong, but I knew someone would bring it up. grin

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Soft butter and a heavy coating of sugar. Roll it up and eat it like a burrito

I save that for tortillas and lefse. I usually add a touch of cinnamon to the sugar though.
Pats of butter and the hot syrup mom made with brown sugar.
Cut the carbs and lose the obesity and diseases.
We had French toast and sausage this morning. Tried some PB along with maple syrup. Strangely, I like PB and honey sammiches but was not impressed with PB and maple on FT. Good thing I spread it only on a small section.

In lieu of maple serp (funny spelling, that) I also like any kind of berry jam or preserves. Interesting note: Back a century ago, the maple decoction was spelled sirup. The syrup spelling was reserved for a mixture of sugar and fruit juice. I learned that just yesterday.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Make it homemade with real butter and maple syrup then drop and give me 20 and you'll be fine.

Carbs ain't the problem.
Originally Posted by CRS
This - only way.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by CRS
This - only way.

With bacon and over-easy eggs.
I like pancakes with peanut butter and liberal dose of Karo white syrup. A couple of over easy eggs too

My cousins from Moldova make "blini", its a very thin pancake, much like a crepe?

Top that with sour cream and strawberry preserves, roll it up and eat it with your fingers.
Does anyone go the route that is always used to advertise pancakes? The one with a stack of too many pancakes, topped with a single pat of butter on top with an equally ridiculously small amount of syrup magically running off in four directions 90 degrees from each other?
Butter and syrup
I've never had anything other than butter and syrup, usually just syrup. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Make it homemade with real butter and maple syrup then drop and give me 20 and you'll be fine.

Carbs ain't the problem.

The rates of heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, alzheimer's, Parkinson's, epilepsy, sexualy deviancy, etc are increasing.

In the future, sugar will be gov controlled like alcohol, tobacco, firearms, narcotics, explosives, vehicles, etc.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Carbs ain't the problem.

The rates of heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, alzheimer's, Parkinson's, epilepsy, sexualy deviancy, etc are increasing.

In the future, sugar will be gov controlled like alcohol, tobacco, firearms, explosives, vehicles, etc.

Where never is heard, an encouraging word, and the skies remain cloudy all day.
Butter syrup, and bacon.
OK, you peanut butter guys: you've made the small step of identifying which brand, but you are being very, very uncampfire-like about it. Jif is a national brand, for crying out loud, not some obscure local or regional brand! On top of that, it's corporate headquarters is in Ohio, for God's sake!
Lots of butter and mole asses.
Butter and Honey or Butter and Fig Preserves
I quit having candy for breakfast when I was a kid.

Sounds like the only thing you guys are missing is a few milligrams of Insulin on you flapjacks..
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Butter and Honey or Butter and Fig Preserves
Thanks! I will give the figs a try.
Blueberries in them
Real maple syrup and butter on them.
I love blueberry pancakes. I also put a touch of vanilla extract in the batter, and I only use real maple syrup.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I love blueberry pancakes. I also put a touch of vanilla extract in the batter, and I only use real maple syrup.
Do you only use real vanilla?

Takes a pile of it to make a difference in taste.
Butter and way too much real Adirondack Maple Syrup. Preferably dark. Makes my mouth water thinking about it.
[Linked Image from rudysoriginal.com]
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yes, real vanilla extract. I think I use about 1-2 teaspoons for a 6 pancake batch.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yup. Baker's imitation in baked goods has more vanilla flavor than extract, 1 for 1.
At the cabin one morning.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Lots of real butter and blackberry jam. A little sour cream, Mexican crema, or creme fraiche is good too.
Butter sometime a bit of maple syrup
My grandpa would have phrased the question a bit differently.

He put pancakes on his syrup, not the other way around.

Made sense, I suppose. He’d pour syrup on the plate, then put the pancake on top.

Claimed his method would let the pancake soak up more syrup that way, instead of it just running off the top.

Me - I put yogurt on mine.

Fugg ya’ll if you don’t like it. 🤪
Originally Posted by wabigoon
At the cabin one morning.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Wow! Looks good.
It was.
OK, you peanut butter guys: you've made the small step of identifying which brand, but you are being very, very uncampfire-like about it. Jif is a national brand, for crying out loud, not some obscure local or regional brand! On top of that, it's corporate headquarters is in Ohio, for God's sake!
Jif, Skippy and and their cousins seem like weak/thin stuff compared to the peanuts-only rich kinds like Adams, etc.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I've heard waffles and chicken go together, but never tried it.
Once had pancakes, with turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy and maple syrup. I only put syrup on one bite. Did not like it with the syrup. The rest was alright. But for seconds it was butter and maple syrup for me.
Homemade blackberry syrup. Wild local berries picked by us ( wife and I). Made us a batch of gluten free pancakes with Wright thick sliced hickory smoked bacon for supper.
Real butter and real Maple syrup and 2 fried eggs over easy on my pancake with blueberries in my pancake. Yummy for my tummy. Saturday and Sunday morning.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Jif, Skippy and and their cousins seem like weak/thin stuff compared to the peanuts-only rich kinds like Adams, etc.

What he said- Adams!
I was gifted a bottle of date syrup. Pretty darn good on a pancake, toast, or biscuit. Sort of a molasses-like in appearance and consistency.
Bacon or link sausage is a gud start....shredded cheese optional...

Then flip a coin on whether to use maple syrup or sawmill gravy.
100% maple syrup.
Real maple syrup.

And butter!
Molasses and butter, just like on the Waltons. smile
I love lotsa butter & maple syrup.

Sorghum molasses is pretty damned good too.
Oh Canada, eh !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Oh Canada, eh !!

grin

Was wondering when you would be along Paul. LOL
Oh Canada, eh !!

grin

You don’t even cook your bacon enough!

Sheesh!!!
Oh Canada, eh !!

grin
Very impressed! We will have to have a “Cook Off “ between you and Wabi!
Hahaha !

grin

We're talking food, not shoe leather !
Double helping of Knob Creek Maple, hold the pancakes.
I like melted butter on them.
A big fat-laden tinder ribeye soaked in real butter + garlic & onion powder tossed into a hot cast iron skillet , then onto a pancake??
Am I right am i right ??

Hot sexy blonde sitting on a pancake
Vermont maple syrup: accept no substitutes!

Funnily enough my wife and I recently did a blind taste test with several options (Canada, Pennsylvania, New York), and we both identified the Vermont maple syrup as the very best hands down.

We don't even need the "fancy": the darker Grade B Amber is good enough!
Originally Posted by ol_mike
A big fat-laden hot sexy blonde sitting on a pancake

Dare ya’ to say that on the cornfed thread 😁
NO WAY !!
The Trifecta is Agave Nectar, Danny’s New York Maple fresh from the pan, or real sorghum syrup preferably from Sand Mountain, Ala. For just one I’d go with Danny. All with melted hi-fat real butter on the cakes.
Brother Paul.

no pancakes for me either

except maybe some sourdough, whole wheat, multi-grain ones made from scratch

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

all for me, but no longer at one sitting. usually put 3 - 4 in a zip lock baggie and freeze for later....like Eggos but way mo betta

Absolute deliciousness. Top two have fig preserves, other three some of Dannyl's syrup.........all have butter. no oleo in our house for years

When in my teens, on a 90 mile backpacking trip, I once ate 14 pancakes. Of course, my metabolism was likely 3X what it is now.
Hey Valsdad, how long do the cakes last in the freezer before they go bad! Thanks for posting! Looks good.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Hey Valsdad, how long do the cakes last in the freezer before they go bad! Thanks for posting! Looks good.
I've never counted weeks or months.

usual routine is to put them in quart baggie, zip it 90% shut, leave enough opening to put a straw in an inch or so, squeeze out as much air as I can then suck all air out with straw while zipping it closed the rest of the way. Poor man's vacuum sealer.

They usually disappear with 60 days though, many times less. Right in the toaster, sometimes on days I have meat and eggs.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Hot sexy blonde sitting on a pancake

I'd eat that !

wink
Geno, Deb only does scratch too, no box garbage, for us !

Alan, to be fair, I do have photos of fruit & syrup loaded, 'cakes too.

Deb makes big fluffy ricotta pancakes, for those !
I take a big helping of bacon...pile it on the pancake...eat the bacon...throw the pancake away.

By the by...did you gentlemen see the picture pages back, of the Canuckian pancake? Must be a metric pancake of some type. Never seen the like of it. 2 1/2 inches wide X 2 inches tall...they screwed up the original dimensions converting to metric. Looks like some kind of cushion device for a snow machine suspension. Maybe it is, it's certainly not edible...is it?
Geno, Deb only does scratch too, no box garbage, for us !

Alan, to be fair, I do have photos of fruit & syrup loaded, 'cakes too.

Deb makes big fluffy ricotta pancakes, for those !
I believe you. I enjoyed your contribution to the thread . Looks like you like 99s like me. I’m preparing to build a custom 99 and will share once done. Cheers! Alan
Syrup from Danny White right here in the classifieds. Makes pretty much any store bought syrup seem pathetic.
Geno Valsdad...Did you get the photo I sent of the nuggets via email?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Geno Valsdad...Did you get the photo I sent of the nuggets via email?
i did now. had been sent to the spam folder.

That's pretty damn cool there.
© 24hourcampfire