Home

Never heard this guy before.... pretty funny cool
That's me! I've lived it for 66 years. I could always tell when my buddies were planning to party hard and get drunk....they wouldn't invite me to go. I was like their conscience sitting next to them.
LOL

That was pretty good!
When I was "egged, unto taking a cigarette, I crushed it, and threw it away, End of that! laugh
Great, and true
Originally Posted by reivertom
That's me! I've lived it for 66 years. I could always tell when my buddies were planning to party hard and get drunk....they wouldn't invite me to go. I was like their conscience sitting next to them.

A drunk can't stand a non-drinker!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Except it's not funny.
I've come close to fighting friends over it.

Either I refuse to drink, or have my 1 and stop. They get offended and belligerent,
"You too good to drink with me now?"

You called it perfect,
guilty conscience wants accomplices.

Your buddies aren't planning ahead. Come with us Tom, you can drive.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A drunk can't stand a non-drinker!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Except it's not funny.

Either I refuse to drink, or have my 1 and stop. They get offended and belligerent,

You called it perfect,

Just try telling them that you drive the speed limit on top of it!
I quit drinking seven years ago, I have never been told by anyone to go back to drinking 😁
"Mad Dog 20-20" lol... takes me back to Jr High... drunk as a skunk, made an ass of myself at school dance with my favorite girl... few yrs later, JD & Sour helped take the right side off my favorite car... gave up Alcohol for good... watched my old man piss away his life & $$$ when i was a kid, struggled in retirement... uncomfortable around drunken fools...
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
"Mad Dog 20-20" lol... takes me back to Jr High... drunk as a skunk, made an ass of myself at school dance with my favorite girl... few yrs later, JD & Sour helped take the right side off my favorite car... gave up Alcohol for good... watched my old man piss away his life & $$$ when i was a kid, struggled in retirement... uncomfortable around drunken fools...

I knew my family history and saw what it did to friends and family around me. I was anti-booze from the beginning. Luckily, Dad stopped drinking when I was young, partly because I didn't like it, and also because he saw where he was going. After WW2 many guys like him that saw combat would "self medicate" and get together with other vets. He saw where many of them ended up. Some on my Mom's side had tragic endings due to booze, I know the gene is in me.
Haven’t had a drink since March 1979.
Work HARD, PLAY hard.
Don’t drink if the rest of the bills aren’t paid.
You have one life, live it to the fullest.

Buncha baptists……
Have not had a drink since i got the news that the wife was pregnant.

That was over 44 years ago and i sometimes wanted to try just one drink.

But the brain kicked in and told me if i didn't quit that hard stuff would do me in.

Don't have any problem with folks that do drink and have had no problem driving them around.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I was "egged, unto taking a cigarette, I crushed it, and threw it away, End of that! laugh

I have had (3) cigarettes in my life time.
Each one of them made me sick.

I had (2) great and wonderful Beers and (1) piss warm one that made me never want another beer.

I have drank hard stuff but only sip it because I do not like the way it makes me feel.

I was told by a member of the Fire that I was not a man because I do not Drink.

Ho Well to each his own.
I am not against drinking
I just choose when I drink lightly.

My favorite Cold medicine is Doctor Masculinity's Menthol Schnapps.

It works real good for me.
At cocktail hour after business meetings it is amazing what a non drinking person learns from those that drink too much.
I don’t drink anymore but I don’t drink any less either
The biggest lie about drinking is they just like the taste, but if you took the alcohol out of it and sold it, liquor would not sell…
For a guy that supposedly gave up drinking 25 years or more ago, oh how I love a pint of cold lager on a warm afternoon.
Tonight was a 3 cocktail night.
Drunk fools are obnoxious as hell.
Teatotalers are almost as bad. Hell, maybe worse.

If you got a problem, by all means don't drink.
But some people's drug is to be feel superior to others who chose a different path.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The biggest lie about drinking is they just like the taste, but if you took the alcohol out of it and sold it, liquor would not sell…

When deployed, NOBODY drank NA beer even though it was always available.

It’s been years for me.

I am not against drinking. I am against drunkenness.
Originally Posted by logger
At cocktail hour after business meetings it is amazing what a non drinking person learns from those that drink too much.
certainly useful as a truth serum for sure...
Incremental. Alcoholics run in my family. Nobody ever took their first drink and said I want to be an alcoholic. Ruined lives and families. Worked on the Rez too. I have seen the destruction caused by this drug. I do like being not in control. Too many bad memories from childhood. Enough said. Sin too is incremental. So easy to get on a slippery slope in life.
Some people have pulled themselves from the ravages of alcoholism and those that have never been to rock bottom cannot understand until they get there.
I would never wish it upon anyone.
Families and friendships demolished, careers destroyed, serious health issues etc...etc.
The struggle to say no to alcohol takes strength and courage after battling years of addiction.
Those that have had the strength to rebuild their lives from the wreckage of alcoholism should be congratulated and applauded not mocked.
Shame on those that do.
I don't Drink, My dad did & scared the [bleep] out of me.

His father Drank a lot until he had a terminal experience drinking and driving. The accident killed Him & his wife & injured everyone else in the car. My dad was fortunate to not be in the car when the accident happened.

Generally I do not care for alcohol taste. Perhaps my gluten intolerance that I recently became aware of may play in with my dislike of alcohol. Or perhaps the knowledge of my family history is more of a factor for me.
I have probably had 2 beers in the last 30 years.I never acquired the taste and decided that it wasn't worth the effort. Not to mention my brother drinking himself to death. I suppose if I did like te taste I would be like him.
There is a big difference in "don't drink" and "can't drink". I can respect a man who says he don't drink, that's great, it's a choice. The ones that piss me off are the guys who brag constantly about being "clean and sober" for however long and expect you to treat them like some kind of a hero then try to preach to me when I have a drink. That just tells me that they can't drink because they have a weak mind and a lack of self control, no different than a drug addict. Some, like myself keep a little good whiskey around and can have a toddy in the evening or a beer or two with the guys without getting stupid and letting it become a problem. BA

I thought this addressed some of the points brought up in this thread. Nobody likes a self righteous scold and no one really likes a bad drunk. IMO some people should not drink a drop ever because they turn into jerks quickly.

My family had people in it that I just didn't want anything to do with when they even started drinking. I guess it's some sort of brain chemistry thing?

I was pretty careful about my own drinking. I was also a pretty messy bachelor. When the returnable bottle fee hit I just started tossing empty beer bottles under the sink until the door would not close then load up a contractor size garbage bag and walked into the store looking like Santa with a full bag out for delivery.

I was living in a small town where people knew me and I ended up feeling uneasy counting out 100 plus bottles at the redemption desk. I decided that was probably not a good sign and quit a little over 38 years ago. Given my family back ground that was probably a wise choice for me.

Apologies if the "God molding me" part of the essay is off putting for some. I thought it was well enough written to post for the Campfire's consideration. Thoughts?
The ones that get offended by talking bad about drinking booze are the ones that might need to do some soul searching. If you react to anti-alcohol posts and testimonies as if somebody insulted your best friend, there might be a reason. It has a way of warping a person's thinking, and it is absolutely not your best friend.
A six pack of beer will.last a month or more in my fridge. I do enjoy a cool brew on occasion. Someone enjoys a brew or cocktail responsibly, good for them. Enjoy. Just not my thing.

Anyone who wears the uniform, regardless of age, should be allowed to drink whatever the he'll they want.
A person can always go back to drinking but you can't have time and distance from your last drink (as a kind of self check up) until you put the last one down.

Anybody is welcome to go to an open AA meeting. Just say something to the effect of, "Hi I'm Billy Bob and I'd just like to listen tonight." Or " Hi I'm Bubba and I've decide to try a time out from drinking. I think I can control it but I thought it might be a good idea to speak with some others who are exploring this".

If you are not a smoker I'd suggest checking for a non smoking meeting.

Closed meetings are for people that have decided "Aw crap, alcohol is controlling me , I need to make it a priority to not drink (just one day at a time) and find a sponsor I can relate to and work the steps..

If you go listen for stories about how their brains just did the happy dance when they first started drinking.... before it started taking more and more to chase after the happy place feeling.
I have a lot of drinking friends. Heck, I take a shot or a beer about every day myself. I have stopped though going to bars, hanging out at events, public or back yard, where there will be heavy drinking. Not being judgmental, just that my needs and wants have changed with regards to being drunk.
I don't like a lot of people, but I would never tell them to drink. That's a personal decision; one that I don't understand but whatever...
I’m gonna be honest I’m drinking reading this
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
A person can always go back to drinking but you can't have time and distance from your last drink (as a kind of self check up) until you put the last one down.

Anybody is welcome to go to an open AA meeting. Just say something to the effect of, "Hi I'm Billy Bob and I'd just like to listen tonight." Or " Hi I'm Bubba and I've decide to try a time out from drinking. I think I can control it but I thought it might be a good idea to speak with some others who are exploring this".

If you are not a smoker I'd suggest checking for a non smoking meeting.

Closed meetings are for people that have decided "Aw crap, alcohol is controlling me , I need to make it a priority to not drink (just one day at a time) and find a sponsor I can relate to and work the steps..

If you go listen for stories about how their brains just did the happy dance when they first started drinking.... before it started taking more and more to chase after the happy place feeling.
That's where I found myself a couple of years ago - and that's when I decided to quit. This was shortly after I witnessed my boss slowly die from alcohol-abuse related cirrhosis, which noone at work realized he was even drinking until after he died and his daughter told me his story.
I haven't had a single sip of any kind of alcohol since the day I decided to stop.
Some folks are hell bent on self destruction, alcohol or not.
I don't like coffee, but do like some beers.
Go figure.
Always been quality over quantity.
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

For me it was OP Rum and Gin when I was twelve. I drank it at Ho chi Minh's place after milking the cows and doing the milk run. I had just enough time to walk to church and put on my alterboy duds and pick up that bloody great crucifix to lead the way down the aisle at the Catholic church in Longreach QLD. That stuff hit like a ton of sick and misery causing possibly the unsteadiest shuffle down an aisle ever. Old Dean Daly was cool though...just parked me on a chair off to the side and left me to my misery. Coolest Catholic priest to ever walk the earth, never even said a single word to me about it.

Holy Christ I was sick. I did it a couple of times more in a less spectacular fashion and just didn't ever bother again.

Now I occasionally take a sip of Hennessey XO in a cup of coffee as I like the smell, and because just one teaspoon sends me asleep almost immediately.
Had a friend who couldn't mix alcohol and medication, so he drank NA beer. Never been a big fan of beer in quantity, but I would have an NA with him, and now keep some on hand for post-lawn mowing and such.
Originally Posted by earlybrd

This post is awesome.
Originally Posted by earlybrd

As is your right. Cheers.
I'm not a big fan of pissing my money away, and that's what drinking is. It's your money and your life do what ever you wish with it, but don't give me Schitt because I don't drink. Rio7
I was kind of a beer snob. I like good beer but that is expensive. I don't recall how many years ago the small batch micro brewery beers stouts and ales came about (20 something years?) but I was tempted to try some.... Then just decided no just not worth it.

Maybe 10 something years ago my wife and I started buying red wine for venison recipes. The alcohol is long gone before the dish is finished. That was worth it.

Unfortunately, not kidding, it seems as though Ive recently become allergic to some beers.
Covid or ? caused it.
Know wheat beers I can't do, been like that for decades.
But now other stuff too.
I can count on one hand the number of drinks I've had since November 2010.

I don't tell people I don't like to drink, I tell them I don't drink anymore because I used to REALLY LIKE to drink.
Originally Posted by 16penny
I don’t drink anymore but I don’t drink any less either

That, have three Jack and cokes when we go to the dancehall by 10:00 Pm, don’t drink anymore or less. Rarely during the week
Drink more than Deflave. Drinking Henny right now.
I’m doing a lot of drugs, a lot!
I never tell people I don't like to drink. I never tell them what to drink. I just order a diet coke.
My Grandfather was an alcoholic. He quit drinking when I was 5 and went to AA for 26 years. Because of that my Dad was very careful around alcohol. Because of my Dad's example I never really got started drinking. As they say alcohol is an acquired taste and I never acquired it. That being said I can be with someone drinking a soda while that person is doing alcohol. One year my boss invited me to her place on her birthday. I knew she like Bailey something to put in her coffee. I got it for a present. She thought that because I didn't drink, I was against alcohol.
Well, I don't mind taking a drink now and then. Last time I went out was with my son in law and his two sons to a titty bar. There was a group partying there like the end of the world was imminent. They bought round after round for the house, bought lap dances for strangers, craziest thing I ever saw. I only had one drink that night as most of the time I was doing the club soda thing. When my SIL and sons hit town I usually had to be the designated driver more by choice than anything else. he's downright crazy behind the wheel when drinking.

Anyway, the one drink I had paid for by the party goers BTW, was when one very pretty lap dancer came up and said the "patron" insists you have one drink with him. She said it would be a very bad idea to refuse. When I asked why she said he's high ranking cartel and he and his wife are celebrating their, I forget the number anniversary. Discretion took the better part of valor. I took the drink raised it in his honor and took a sip. I don't think he would have recognized designated driver and a good enough excuse to refuse. I was kind of glad when the SIL decided it was time to hit the road on home.
PJ
The wife and I will share a mango or strawberry margarita when we go out sometimes. I have fun laughing at and with someone who's drinking and having a good time. But when someone starts getting obnoxious I leave or they leave.
The world is a better place when I don't drink.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Why?
Self awareness is a very good thing.
Dang, people who don't drink sure like to talk about not drinking.
Some of the best times of my life were while I was drunk! But, the older I get, the more it hurts the next day.
I very rarely drink because my wife doesn’t drink. But when I do it’s pretty dang fun.
I saw as a freshman in college, I could NOT Drink when I wanted too. I watched too many buddies turn into alcoholics in my freshman year in college...I had a much higher tolerance than most of them. So I cut my consumption down dramatically.

Didn't drink while in the service, and finally in 1980, I just gave it up... might have a drink once every 2 to 3 years..
If I ever drink a beer I mix it half and half with lemonade, and only drink the one beer and an equal sized lemonade.
Doesn't even give me a buzz...

Seen booze wreck too many people's lives... and don't see a positive reason for it..

So its easier to just drop it... so that is what I did in 1980. Only at a Campfire or two gathering have I really taken any hard stuff.
Originally Posted by RUM7

No kidding lol

Look at me look at me
I went through a period in College where I would Binge drink at parties a lot of booze.. Then woke up one day and decided it just made me feel like crap. Didn't drink much at all from about my mid 20's to mid 40's. Now I will drink maybe a couple of beers on the weekends unless im hanging out with friends, then maybe 4 or 5 beers. Just don't like the hangovers..

I don't think I've ever been the person though to peer pressure someone else to drink, or the one to initiate the party or make someone else feel bad if they aren't drinking. I'm not really aggressive in that way..I don't really care, and can live with it or without it.
both my dad and brother died from smoking and drinking, i go through my genealogy list and now see many who have died from liver cancer. i drank heavy from 16to 20 then quit both smokes and boose. THank God..I can go into a pub or party and have one and thats it.

I have had a drink pored over me because i refused to drink with the boys on a construction site. o well .

Norm
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by RUM7

No kidding lol

Look at me look at me

Maybe.

It would take an extensive study to figure out who talks more.
Those saying they don't drink, or those talking about alcohol/drinking/ getting screwed up.

Pretty sure the drinkers are way out there in the lead.

How many "What aren't you drinking" threads are there. Even this one isn't growing very fast.

How often have you heard a long story starting with,
"I was at XXX and didn't drink".

Your perception illustrates what myself and others have said,
Drinkers hate it when someone won't, or stops "early".

Personally, IDGAS.
It's sad to see folks consumed by alcohol, but it's their choice/burden.
The list of vices/faults is long, we all have a few.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Why?

I don't need any help being more stupid, and I don't have an off switch.
My time in the Navy can be described as TAD, traveling around drunk, mostly on bourbon but beer was a regular friend too, although I never grew to like beer at all. After my discharge it would take longer and longer to get over a hangover. Decided I didn’t like that very much and mostly quit completely. An occasional beer with friends was ok but I avoided liquor all together. Over last few years I’ve figured out I can have a mixed drink or even two and crawl all the way to the bottom of the bottle.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I like the taste of some alcohol. But I am totally with you on alcohol out of beer vs flavor. There are very few beers that are worth the effort.

That said I'm thankful that we have never gone extreme on about anything other than hunting and service rifle shooting.

I would hate to feel the need to be drinking or smoking etc... to excess.

I'd have to say its not addicting too for some, at least for us.
Some people have a difficult time saying "no, thank you though" vs " yes, I'll have another". Life is all about choices.... Joe
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I wish I had done that.
If he started screaming he’d be a black Sam Kinnison
Originally Posted by Seafire
If I ever drink a beer I mix it half and half with lemonade, and only drink the one beer and an equal sized lemonade.
Doesn't even give me a buzz...

No shit?? Hard to believe.

What a clam.

No, you were a buzzkill sitting next to them.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Except it's not funny.

You called it perfect,

Nonsense. They don't have any guilt, they just don't want you around to harsh their mellow. This isn't complicated.
Take it and dump it.
This subject is close to home, Dad drank he’s self to death at 35, One Grandpa drank he whole life, still did into 90’s, I started sneaking Coors at 8, but really only drank about 50 years, we drank beer in HS, a lot of kegs in college, we had kegs in refrigerators in our football dorm rooms. I worked hard my whole life but never drank during week, but on weekends hard, retired at young age, so allowed me to drank anytime, a 30 pack could be drank daily. I always knew I could stop anytime I wanted but just liked beer, still worked on Ranch every day, even hungover, at 61 I set down and thought about my life and told myself the truth about failed marriages, homes and cars, toys lost, strife with my sons over things. I had 8 thirty packs in man cave refrigerator’s , and said today is the day I will never take another drink for the rest of my life, called every neighbor up that would take beer and it was over Period!! I have made seven years with no regrets or thoughts of beer at all, no body has ever said anything about me be around while they drink, I still laugh and party with son’s friends, hunters here at ranch or at bars to visit other Ranchers to get local scoop, I realized what I was hooked on was moving my hand to my mouth, just a habit. I have no guilt for quitting, and I’m hangover free.
I enjoy an almost daily drink or two with no apologies.

If you don't that's fine as well.

yes and no a couple of cold beers makes most of us jolly , Whiskey or Tarzan juice makes most of us mean , we think we are tuff and cause fights and problems. i will stick with cold beer,Pete53
Originally Posted by Raeford
I enjoy an almost daily drink or two with no apologies.

If you don't that's fine as well.

Me too. I've had a couple bouts w/A-Fib and a hangover/overindulgence can be a big trigger, so, I've learned when to quit, and I do. Co-Workers I don't see often are probably the worst about trying to goad me into more and I tell them flat out why I won't and that's typically the end of it.
© 24hourcampfire