Home
https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/bi...partner&utm_campaign=TheLibertyDaily

President Joe Biden’s administration has drafted a document that would require background checks for all gun sales, even transactions between private citizens, according to a whistleblower group.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) drafted the 1,300-page document, which provides legal justification for a proposed rule that would require background checks for all gun sales, Empower Oversight Whistleblowers & Research said in a letter on Jan. 31.

The document was drafted at the direction of the White House, according to two whistleblowers who communicated with the organization.

However, Empower Oversight stated in their letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland, head of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), that the rule proposed in that document represents an overreach of executive branch power.

“Such an expansive rule that treats all private citizens the same as federal firearms licensees would circumvent the separation of powers in the Constitution, which grants ‘all legislative powers’ to Congress while requiring that the president ’take care that the laws be faithfully executed,’” Tristan Leavitt, Empower Oversight’s president, wrote.

“To the extent such a rule prevents the private sale of firearms, it would also clearly violate the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, which declares that ’the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'”

The rule “would effectively ban private sales of firearms from one citizen to another by requiring background checks for every sale.”

Mr. Leavitt said in a statement that the rule, if it were finalized, “seems almost certain to be struck down in the courts” like President Biden’s debt relief plan was. He added, “It’s thus hard to view it as anything other than a cynical pay [sic] to energize his base in a presidential election year.”

The ATF, which is part of the DOJ, declined to comment on the letter beyond pointing to publicly available information.

“Because the proposed rule is still working its way through the process, we cannot comment further,” a spokesperson told The Epoch Times via email.

Inquiries to the DOJ and the White House weren’t returned.

Rule Proposed

President Biden, in March 2023, issued an executive order directing Mr. Garland, whom he appointed, to take “actions to reduce gun violence.”

That included developing a plan to “clarify the definition of who is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms, and thus required to become federal firearms licensees (FFLs), in order to increase compliance with the federal background check requirement for firearm sales, including by considering a rulemaking, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law.”

“This executive order helps keep firearms out of dangerous hands, as I continue to call on Congress to require background checks for all firearm sales,” President Biden said at the White House at the time. “And in the meantime, my executive order directs my attorney general to take every lawful action possible to move us as close as we can to universal background checks without new legislation.”

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 bars people, except for licensed dealers, from “[engaging] in the business” of selling firearms. Those dealers must perform background checks on prospective buyers. A law enacted later stated that the prohibition doesn’t apply to “a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

A 2022 law signed by President Biden said that people who “predominantly earn a profit” from selling guns needed to do the background checks and didn’t include the exclusionary line regarding people who make occasional sales and purchases.

Based on that law and the president’s executive order, the ATF in August 2023 issued a proposed rule that would update which people need to perform background checks before selling guns.

“The rule proposes to accomplish this clarity and deterrence by setting forth specific activities demonstrating when an unlicensed person’s buying and selling of firearms presumptively rises to the level of being ‘engaged in the business,’ thus requiring that person to obtain a dealer’s license, conduct background checks, and abide by the other requirements set forth in the GCA,” the ATF said in the proposal.

“At the same time, it recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes without the need to obtain a license.”

Members of the public were able to comment on the proposed rule until Dec. 7, 2023. The proposal drew more than 387,000 comments. Many people voiced opposition to the ATF’s proposal.

“This ATF rule is nothing more than a complete and utter overreach by non-elected bureaucrats who appear to not want the citizens of the U.S. to continue a tradition of privately buying and selling firearms that has been in existence since before the founding of this country,” one wrote.

Empower Oversight says that the whistleblowers identified Eric Epstein, an ATF lawyer, as overseeing the drafting of the finalized rule.

Empower Oversight is asking the DOJ, under the Freedom of Information Act, for all emails to and from Mr. Epstein discussing the rule; communications between the DOJ and ATF on implementing President Biden’s executive order; communications between the DOJ or ATF and the White House on the implementation; and DOJ and ATF records that contain remarks relating to regulating or banning firearm sales between private individuals.
FJB. His administration doesn't follow any laws.....why should we?
This administration seems intent on making a criminal out of me.
I alway Like it when people call these Psychopaths Liberals..

Ya ..

That’s What They Are Liberals ..

F’ck All
This administration is doing everything it can to try to start a civil war !!!
Originally Posted by gregintenn

This criminal administration seems intent on making a criminal out of me.
They can [bleep] in one hand and wish in the other. See which one fills up first.
Ha, and the Brain Dead Democrat Union members on the MN Iron Range are puffing out their chests saying “I’d like to see em try” as they are pounding their Biden yard sign into the ground and driving their big ass PU Trucks around with Fuqk Trump stickers plastered all over it.
I don't plan on selling any of my guns if I do will not comply reckon I will become a outlaw.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣Good Luck with that!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by gregintenn

This criminal administration seems intent on making a criminal out of me.

The Hallmark of a Corrupt Government is it Unrestrained Passage of Redundant Laws ..

Like Coco Mellon asking for More Powers and Financing to Control the Border when he already has those Powers .

Coco Mellon and those 47 Duals that run this Country sure got US Figured Out ..

Hahahaha Hahahaha

Mike Johnson they got you by the Pussy
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

President Joe Biden’s administration has drafted a document that would require background checks for all gun sales, even transactions between private citizens,

Been the law in NJ for a bit now. It sucks. Too many leftists in this state.

Dont let it happen guys.
Originally Posted by rainshot
They can [bleep] in one hand and wish in the other. See which one fills up first.

My mom used to say that.

Great woman.
😡😡😡
Screw Biden! That POS will be out of office in less than a year! Suck a bag of dix Joe!
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

President Joe Biden’s administration has drafted a document that would require background checks for all gun sales, even transactions between private citizens, according to a whistleblower group.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) drafted the 1,300-page document, which provides legal justification for a proposed rule that would require background checks for all gun sales, Empower Oversight Whistleblowers & Research said in a letter on Jan. 31.

The document was drafted at the direction of the White House, according to two whistleblowers who communicated with the organization.

However, Empower Oversight stated in their letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland, head of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), that the rule proposed in that document represents an overreach of executive branch power.

“Such an expansive rule that treats all private citizens the same as federal firearms licensees would circumvent the separation of powers in the Constitution, which grants ‘all legislative powers’ to Congress while requiring that the president ’take care that the laws be faithfully executed,’” Tristan Leavitt, Empower Oversight’s president, wrote.

“To the extent such a rule prevents the private sale of firearms, it would also clearly violate the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, which declares that ’the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'”

The rule “would effectively ban private sales of firearms from one citizen to another by requiring background checks for every sale.”

Mr. Leavitt said in a statement that the rule, if it were finalized, “seems almost certain to be struck down in the courts” like President Biden’s debt relief plan was. He added, “It’s thus hard to view it as anything other than a cynical pay [sic] to energize his base in a presidential election year.”

The ATF, which is part of the DOJ, declined to comment on the letter beyond pointing to publicly available information.

“Because the proposed rule is still working its way through the process, we cannot comment further,” a spokesperson told The Epoch Times via email.

Inquiries to the DOJ and the White House weren’t returned.

Rule Proposed

President Biden, in March 2023, issued an executive order directing Mr. Garland, whom he appointed, to take “actions to reduce gun violence.”

That included developing a plan to “clarify the definition of who is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms, and thus required to become federal firearms licensees (FFLs), in order to increase compliance with the federal background check requirement for firearm sales, including by considering a rulemaking, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law.”

“This executive order helps keep firearms out of dangerous hands, as I continue to call on Congress to require background checks for all firearm sales,” President Biden said at the White House at the time. “And in the meantime, my executive order directs my attorney general to take every lawful action possible to move us as close as we can to universal background checks without new legislation.”

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 bars people, except for licensed dealers, from “[engaging] in the business” of selling firearms. Those dealers must perform background checks on prospective buyers. A law enacted later stated that the prohibition doesn’t apply to “a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

A 2022 law signed by President Biden said that people who “predominantly earn a profit” from selling guns needed to do the background checks and didn’t include the exclusionary line regarding people who make occasional sales and purchases.

Based on that law and the president’s executive order, the ATF in August 2023 issued a proposed rule that would update which people need to perform background checks before selling guns.

“The rule proposes to accomplish this clarity and deterrence by setting forth specific activities demonstrating when an unlicensed person’s buying and selling of firearms presumptively rises to the level of being ‘engaged in the business,’ thus requiring that person to obtain a dealer’s license, conduct background checks, and abide by the other requirements set forth in the GCA,” the ATF said in the proposal.

“At the same time, it recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes without the need to obtain a license.”

Members of the public were able to comment on the proposed rule until Dec. 7, 2023. The proposal drew more than 387,000 comments. Many people voiced opposition to the ATF’s proposal.

“This ATF rule is nothing more than a complete and utter overreach by non-elected bureaucrats who appear to not want the citizens of the U.S. to continue a tradition of privately buying and selling firearms that has been in existence since before the founding of this country,” one wrote.

Empower Oversight says that the whistleblowers identified Eric Epstein, an ATF lawyer, as overseeing the drafting of the finalized rule.

Empower Oversight is asking the DOJ, under the Freedom of Information Act, for all emails to and from Mr. Epstein discussing the rule; communications between the DOJ and ATF on implementing President Biden’s executive order; communications between the DOJ or ATF and the White House on the implementation; and DOJ and ATF records that contain remarks relating to regulating or banning firearm sales between private individuals.
Everything this administration does is an over reach. Why do you think they hired 76,000 IRS agents.

kwg
And? Marijuana is illegal, according to the FEDS, but legal in lots of states. Illegals are illegal. I don't give a flying f'k what they say.
Isn’t ripping a label off a mattress illegal?
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Screw Biden! That POS will be out of office in less than a year! Suck a bag of dix Joe!
We never thought a corpse could be illegally installed over a legally elected President did we? If not Joe they can put in whoever they please and it won't be Donald Trump or Kristi Noem.

Name me one serious roadblock they faced while making up votes where none existed?
Eric Epstein Senior Policy Counsel is Drafting the Regulation/Rule for the Administration..

Was 47 now it’s 48 Duals ..
This is a very failed and corrupt administration. I'd think they would be wise to focus on something more important, like closing the border. If they want to get someone on gun charges, maybe they should start with hunter biden first.. FJB, and all the corrupt democrats.
Originally Posted by papalondog
FJB. His administration doesn't follow any laws.....why should we?

+1
Easy to start a registration system and finger every gun owner.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Easy to start a registration system and finger every gun owner.
VarmintGay is down for that law
Originally Posted by jar
Every nation on earth believes the USA is not vulnerable to a foreign attack due to the number of guns American citizens possess. (Behind every blade of grass....)

Why would the deep state think otherwise? Why do they believe they could win a war against the citizens of America.

Doesn't make sense.
Originally Posted by jar

We actually are already at war...

Please join the cause whenever it is convenient for you to do so.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by jar
Every nation on earth believes the USA is not vulnerable to a foreign attack due to the number of guns American citizens possess. (Behind every blade of grass....)

LOL... and they don't even know about the garden Gnomes filled with tannerite and roofing nails... that are actually standing IN FRONT of every blade of grass.
Hell, commie Prickster did that to us in Illinois last July.
Originally Posted by akrange
Eric Epstein Senior Policy Counsel is Drafting the Regulation/Rule for the Administration..

Was 47 now it’s 48 Duals ..

Gimme a list of these dual citizens - i'm too lazy to look it up . Then i'll inform the board of which 'tribe' they belong to. laffff
But certain ones here claim Biden is not coming for your guns.🤡🤣
Won’t stand in the end. Just harassment, because they can. Just more stuff for Trump to pencil-whip on day one, assuming it ever actually goes into effect.
Originally Posted by Partsman
But certain ones here claim Biden is not coming for your guns.🤡🤣
Neither was ubama - ask JeffBlo he schooled us on that years ago
Every move, even “leaked” info, is designed to appeal to a certain segment of voters. D’s know they’re in trouble and will try anything to build a coalition that might help this fall.
When's election day?
Simple.. Do not comply.
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
When's election day?

Do we actually still have those?

crazy
My new sign at the gun show...
"For sale .....1 snickers candy bar $1800.00 comes with free Benelli M4.
Must be 18 to purchase candy bar.
Cash and carry ."

FJB
Dissolvable Boat drain plugs for sale

They come come in 30 minute, 60 minute and 120 minute dissolve times.

Free shipping.

Gibby
After the first felony the rest are free.
Why the Chevron rule needs to fall.
Good opportunity for SCOTUS to step in and say all federal purchase regulations infringe on the 2nd.
they want to kill off a bunch of white people, so what better way.
I’ve been trying to tell people for 15 years, there IS NO GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE!
That term was dreamed up by people who are against you owning a gun!
What they’re actually referring to, is in fact, a person to person private sale of a gun, and for that matter guns in families that are handed down through generations as heirlooms.
I have a few guns in my possession that belonged to The Old Man, and I take great pride in knowing that they will belong to Ben, and hopefully his kids!
Joe Bribem can kiss my azz. These guns, truthfully any guns in 99.99% of private sales pose zero threat to anyone but maybe game animals and targets.
These people know this, but the agenda is to eventually ban private ownership of firearms, because armed people are much harder to subdue!!!!
It’s an attempt at back door registration, and that is all it is!
Reon
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I’ve been trying to tell people for 15 years, there IS NO GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE!
That term was dreamed up by people who are against you owning a gun!
What they’re actually referring to, is in fact, a person to person private sale of a gun, and for that matter guns in families that are handed down through generations as heirlooms.

Reon

Not exactly.

The “Gun Show Loophole” does not refer to Private Sales.

The term “Gun Show Loophole” is a political narrative, in other words a “lie”, designed by the Media and the Anti-Second Amendment Democrats to convince people that an FFL can bypass his obligation to perform required background checks just by setting up a booth at a gun show.

Ask anyone on the street what a “Gun Show Loophole” is and most(even gun owners) will tell you that it’s a way for FFL to sell a firearm without a background check.

Yes it does not exist, but it is not about private sales, it is about FFL sales of sight.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster

True, and further, the legislation and executive actions proposed by Dems also would prevent one from lending a rifle to, for example, an adult nephew to go on a deer hunt. I lent a rifle to an adult nephew some years ago to practice with and hunt with until he could buy his own. Under the Dem's proposed rules, we would have had to go through a background check to make that happen. That's not a gun-show anything.
I promise you, Steve, it is ALWAYS about private sales!
Don’t let them fool you, but the idea of banning private sales is an age old tactic.
In Pennsylvania, any handgun that changes hands, even though the death of a family member, must be passed through an FFL background check.
It is done purely as a registration, but they won’t admit it.
Some stores only charge for the phonecall but I have seen some bigger stores charge $50 for the transfer. I felt bad for the older fellow and his son.
I don’t know what is gonna become of a couple of my revolvers and my CCP gun after I pass, because Ben is living in a different state.
I guess you have to have a PA dealer transfer it through a dealer in his state, and some states I don’t think will allow it.
Better to keep them someplace safe where he can get them if something happens to me.
Maybe I’ll just give them to Jake, but I’d rather keep them in my family.
Reon
they can't even control the border. They can't control drugs. They can't control embezzlement and fraud with government officials. What makes you think they can control gun sales and ownership. Look at the daily news. Every negro thug out there has at least one illegal gun.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
they can't even control the border. They can't control drugs. They can't control embezzlement and fraud with government officials. What makes you think they can control gun sales and ownership. Look at the daily news. Every negro thug out there has at least one illegal gun.

They CHOOSE to not control the border and illegal drugs.

They mostly just want to control the law-abiding types. The ones who expect them to follow the law of the land.
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Good opportunity for SCOTUS to step in and say all federal purchase regulations infringe on the 2nd.
Why are sales taxes legal on firearms transfers? The power to tax is the power to destroy. Sounds like infringement to me. We've allowed so much government infringement on the 2nd amendment until now it is just assumed constitutionally legal by almost everyone including the courts.
© 24hourcampfire