Home
...and a little contest.

Took brother and a couple good buds into town today to enjoy some real deal Chinese food. This ain't your local Panda/Dragon/Tea palace. This is the real deal, and I've been eating at this joint for almost 30 years and know the owners and staff. Big fun. After getting down with the food and back up north, busted out a few selections from the armory and had at it with the crew. Followed that up with a cocktail, some cards, some stick and some time fooling around on the ice with my beloved girls. With Mrs. KG leaving me in the dust for Tokyo (I was ultimately deemed designated pup sitter), I had to make my own fun.

As an aside, if, in the next 48 hours, starting now (7:30 pm EST) if anyone can guess the correct make, model and chambering of ALL pistols pictured, I will send the first to guess correctly a six pack of lobsters. I will not offer any hints or confirm or deny any correct or incorrect answers. I seriously doubt I'll be sending out a package, but hey, surprise me.

I'm confident that never in a thousand years will this happen, but if there's a brave, knowledgeable soul out there who thinks they can both ID all the firearm particulars AND every dish we enjoyed, I'll send THREE DOZEN lobsters to your door. No catch, other than if you choose to enter guesses for BOTH guns and food and don't nail it (within reason on the food), you send ten bucks as a donation to whatever hunting/fishing/firearms group of your choice. We're working on the honor system here. No posers need post.

America? F yeah.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yum!
Garlic crispy pork ribs and the vegetable lo mein please.
Gari eatz like a king
Super pics!

Beyond cool sights.
Food:
1. Salt & Pepper shrimp
2. Garlic Bok Choy
3. Calamari
4. Mongolian Beef or Sizzling Beef.
5. Black Bean Oysters.
6. Peking Duck

Can't see the pistols well enough to guess.

You, sir, know how to live.
Another great looking post
#41 (I think ) looks fantastic.
As always, going thru the pics of the grub and good times,reminds me how dull and boring life here truly is grin

Thanks for taking us along
Forgot the pic of this dish.

Image of guns not intentionally blurry, but whatever. Already have some contestants who obviously know a thing or two about authentic Asian cuisine, but I'm still confident that I won't be putting a pile of bugs in the mail on an overnight flight anytime soon. wink
I'd rather have steak and re-fried beans myself. How you been dude?
I’m dying here. We got chit for good Chinese in the whole fookin’ state.

On the plus side I have salmon, halibut, and albacore on the freezer, and Dungeness crab just about whenever I want, but still…

P
It's been a long time since I've hit a place with pictures of their dishes up for us illiterate gringos. I, however, am at least 180 miles away from an authentic establishment. Good looking grub.
Originally Posted by 1minute
It's been a long time since I've hit a place with pictures of their dishes up for us illiterate gringos. I, however, am at least 180 miles away from an authentic establishment. Good looking grub.

What place are you thinking about? San Francisco’s Chinatown is 550 from me.

And I ain’t going to SF for nothing.

P
In SE Oregon here, and I'd have to make it to Boise, Id.
What a fuqking joke.
In SE Oregon here, and I'd have to make it to Boise, Id.

I know where you is, but you’re saying Boise has authentic Chinese? Didn’t when I lived there but that was a long time ago.

P
Awesome pics of some great food, as usual.
In SE Oregon here, and I'd have to make it to Boise, Id. Had a good laugh years back when running the Columbia Gorge. Saw a huge sign for Chinese/American cuisine from the freeway. Name of the restaurant was the Shamrock.
看起来好美味的. 但是不是真的中国菜.我以为这是中国味道美国菜.

That said, I’m betting all enjoyed the heck out of the meal, without having the authentic pile of bones left on the table as would be the norm for an actual meal in China.

I wouldn’t know the names for the dishes , except that the second dish looks like 芥蓝 and not 青菜
Dang bro, we have a "decent" little Chinese place in town, nothing special like that...............not even near it. One of the few things I miss about bigger cities is
"ethnic" cuisine. Are those clams in black bean sauce? I'd chow down on that. I can get chicken, beef, and shrimp with black beans here, but that's about it.

Where I went to school, a 5 hour drive or so N of San Fran, we had a great restaurant. Couple of times a week the owners would send someone down there for rea, fresh Chinese ingredient. And after dining there more than a few times with some locals and getting to know the owner, we could order special stuff off the menu if they had it available in the back.

When this contest is over I'm wishing for a complete list of your menu items so I can be even more jealous.

Is that your local outdoorsman's club, gun range, whatever you Massachusiolios call them?

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and even gladder you shared the good times with us.

Hope the missus has a nice time in the old country
Meanwhile live from the Rez, cheers homies.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Looks good. When I lived in the Bay Area (1st 35 years of life) we would head to Brandy Ho's in San Francisco in Chinatown for good Chinese.
[Linked Image from commentary.org]
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'd rather have steak and re-fried beans myself. How you been dude?

Sheeit. A man can get a good steak pretty much anywhere...
wink

Been awhile, bud. Doing great, and thanks for popping in. As usual, life has tossed some curveballs our way but the lass and I are still in the game and enjoying most of what comes at us. As a result of getting an ultimatum from my masters in the ivory tower to get the shots or get fired, threw up my middle finger and the towel August 2021. Been 'retired' since, I guess. Can't say living the life of a no-good, unrepentant bum, spending time with my wife and best friend and hunting and fishing my days away with other outdoors bums is something I can't complain about.

Good to see you posting again, and I hope you and your boy are doing great. Maybe one of these days we'll hook up and have a few laughs together. I'd like that, and even better it'd make the heads of a bunch of these MFers here heads detonate.
Originally Posted by gunzo
What a fuqking joke.

Care to elaborate, friend? You lost me.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Meanwhile live from the Rez, cheers homies.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Other than your ghetto tastes in 'beer', I'm down to clown with that anyday, 'Cuz, and would use a nice crusty bread or french roll to suck up that bloody goodness. And a straw if I didn't have any bread! wink

For real though, don't you cowboys have things like potatoes or some other sides or whatever? I'll send you a sackful of sumptin' if you need it, homey! smile
Sam's in full keto.

He has to drink a beer to counteract it.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Good to see you posting again, and I hope you and your boy are doing great. Maybe one of these days we'll hook up and have a few laughs together. I'd like that, and even better it'd make the heads of a bunch of these MFers here heads detonate.
We could make that happen. Roger took my son fishing awhile back. Maybe we could do that.
And, I'm not here much anymore... To many "Enlighten New Members" here on the Fire lately.
Frisco would indeed be good, but I avoid California.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sam's in full keto.

He has to drink a beer to counteract it.

lol! Well played, Beeg Jeem, well played sir. smile
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Is that your local outdoorsman's club, gun range, whatever you Massachusiolios call them?

Glad you enjoyed yourselves and even gladder you shared the good times with us.

Hope the missus has a nice time in the old country

Massachusiolios? Stop already, paisano. You's hurtin' my guts muscles! wink

The lass landed safely in the Big T and is with loved ones as I type. Appreciate the kind sentiment. She has a list a meter long of items she is to haul home for daddy. Growing up with a Scottish mum who frequently traveled 'hame' for family needs, I'm familiar with and OK with the women in my life traveling abroad for any sort of family issues. Whatever shall come, we deal with it the best we can. You know how it goes. Keep rocking it up there and hanging tough up there in the N CA desert, brother.
In SE Oregon here, and I'd have to make it to Boise, Id. Had a good laugh years back when running the Columbia Gorge. Saw a huge sign for Chinese/American cuisine from the freeway. Name of the restaurant was the Shamrock.

I love it! 'Welcome to most authentic Chinee Shamrockee! May take order, prease?' wink
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Food:
1. Salt & Pepper shrimp
2. Garlic Bok Choy
3. Calamari
5. Black Bean Oysters.
6. Peking Duck

I said I wouldn't help, but you've nailed ___ of the dishes!
Including the one in your hand or just the guns on the table?
Looks like good food. My brother many times will says to try something different.
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Food:
1. Salt & Pepper shrimp
2. Garlic Bok Choy
3. Calamari
5. Black Bean Oysters.
6. Peking Duck

I said I wouldn't help, but you've nailed ___ of the dishes!
OK, Black Bean Clams. Better now?
What a fuqking joke.

Mirrors... he found one at an inopportune time...
Looks awfully good!

I spent time working in both of Californias China Towns back in the 90’s, a guy can certainly eat well there.

Spent time with your daughters on the ice you say, what is this “ice” you speak of asks the guy with a place in Northern Minnesota? We haven’t had much if any.

Great pics, thank you.

Osky
I am not allowed there. Maine should treat armed Massholes like they treat armed Maniacs.
2-3 times per trip... we chow at Lung Fung (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ng_Fung-Panama_City_Panama_Province.html)

When we go fishing in Panama.

As always... Nice pics KG...
Looks like Dam good food, and a Great time had by All!
For real though, don't you cowboys have things like potatoes or some other sides or whatever? I'll send you a sackful of sumptin' if you need it, homey! smile

My wife had a bunch of asparagus and bacon chunks going in a skillet. But it wasn't quite done and I had the munchies so.... I just started whittling away on that roast.
I couldn't attempt to guess what types food you are showing but, i certainly could attempt to eat it all. Love the pic of the folks at the table piled high with all that food. I'd be in heaven.
What a fuqking joke.

I've lost myself. I must have been in the wrong thread or something.
Originally Posted by Osky
Looks awfully good!

I spent time working in both of Californias China Towns back in the 90’s, a guy can certainly eat well there.

Spent time with your daughters on the ice you say, what is this “ice” you speak of asks the guy with a place in Northern Minnesota? We haven’t had much if any.

Great pics, thank you.

Osky

Yep, in my younger years enjoyed many excellent authentic food offerings in both C-Towns in LA and SF. Used to be that the J-Town in LA had some real Japanese food as well, but it's been many years since I've been willing to spend any time--or money-- in CA. Just can't do it anymore on principle alone. Which is a shame, since it has some of the most beautiful places in the world and I spent many years from childhood in the 70s and on loving being there.

On the ice deal, yeah, I hear you. We haven't had enough ice to fish for smelt in two years. Too warm for anything really but junk ice and especially with brackish, moving water were the anadromous smelt come in, it's just not safe. We did get a recent cold snap in the single digits that had 3" form so the boys have been at it and have done OK, but thin ice and the knowledge of many people having a bad day--in some cases their last day--makes this fella too nervous to play on it unless plenty of margin for error. A few years back five kids went through the ice on the river less than 15 miles from here. None survived. Oldest was 13 and youngest was 7, I think...

Sprint11: Yes, better. Maybe. wink

Sammo: I do that all the time, at the risk of having my hands swatted by the wife while doing so. "I'M TESTING HERE!"

One member here texted me the words, "you have my address for sending the bugs, right?" and included a chart with his guesses. Gave me a bit of a scare, as he was damn close, but alas, no banana for him.

Thanks for the comments and grins, and some of the guesses on the food have been very good, but no one yet has come close to completely nailing either set, let alone ace both. There's still time, though! smile
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
I couldn't attempt to guess what types food you are showing but, i certainly could attempt to eat it all. Love the pic of the folks at the table piled high with all that food. I'd be in heaven.

You have the proper spirit, sir. My old man used to tell my brother and I when we were very young and balking at anything he wanted us to try, "I won't ever force you to eat anything you don't like, but I insist you try it at least once. If you don't care for it, then that's that, and you'll then know it's not for you, but if you don't try it, you'll never know..."
© 24hourcampfire