Home
Posted By: 1minute A Rant: Dinning Out and Apps? - 02/11/24
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?
Nope

Much more convenient using apps, and fewer people I have to deal with.
Never understood the concept
A good workaround is to pay with your card instead of bags of change and a coupon.
I don't like none of it either, same as self-checkout, or businesses asking for my phone number at the register.
Half the country would be fuqkd if cell towers went down a few weeks
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You got that right they would be in panic mode.
I eat out 6 meals a week and prefer the app approach.

I also prefer to pick up my stuff and eat at my hotel.
I am sure you old farts could get your cottage cheese and peaches plate anywhere just by asking the nice lady with the nose ring.
I rarely pay cash anymore, use my cards. I hate apps and email requests to do a survey on my service experience. I only do them if I have negative input.
I assist my elderly uncle and he has been the victim of online scams twice in the past year and a half. He is too trusting. I have taken over all his finances and eliminated online banking. Had to sit up all new accounts for him and redirect direct deposits etc. Had Verizon on the phone the other day to clear up some issues. Actually had a live person on the line and everything I asked she said you can do that on our website or with our app. I said I’m talking to you, a customer service rep, why can’t you just do it for me. She eventually did but couldn’t comprehend why I wasn’t willing to sign my uncle up online or download the app to confuse him further. Believe it or not SSA was the easiest to deal with, but we went to the office in person after a phone call suggested it and provided me with information on what to bring.
earlybrd:

Ain't that the truth. Locally, our banks, grocery/hardware stores, and all but one of our service stations are out of business if the power goes off. Hit the grid, and our nation, eventually including transportation, will be paralyzed.

54Woody:

I've recently gotten as much as a 20% discount at motels via cash. Good for me and less in taxes and fees for them. I rather like it.
Originally Posted by Riverc
You got that right they would be in panic mode.

Yep. The suicide rate would SKYROCKET! 🤪
https://www.facebook.com/FOODbible/...t-muktuk-whale-blubber-/439756631457909/
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch
If an app is required to order food I am eating somewhere else period. And I pay with money. I don't carry a cell phone around all the time. I am not installing a program on my phone to do business with someone.
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch

I guarantee you that 90 percent of the old tough guys here don't have a 50 pound sack of rice, flour or sugar in their house.
I do not have a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone and use it for phone calls. People have to have that smart phone in their hands at all times. Even while eating and punching on it for some reason. Like a couple we went out with, they was texting each other rather than talking and were right across from each other. I just DO NOT understand the love for the smart phone.
Originally Posted by 1minute
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I do not have a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone and use it for phone calls. People have to have that smart phone in their hands at all times. Even while eating and punching on it for some reason. Like a couple we went out with, they was texting each other rather than talking and were right across from each other. I just DO NOT understand the love for the smart phone.

I have seen that.

It's wild.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪

Thats why I prefer McDs, they have the kiosk that I can put in my order, make sure its what I want
Tru story I know a gal that does grocery pickup 🥴 she ordered a thing of bananas and got 1 single banana 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂
One of these days some of you bastards may live to get old.....if you're lucky!
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

Anyone else resisting?

Thats why I prefer McDs, they have the kiosk that I can put in my order, make sure its what I want

Only time I go there is for breakfast. Order a #3 in the drive-thru. It’s a bacon egg and cheese biscuit meal.
Hard to Fugg up. But they still get the drink wrong about half the time. 🤪

Anyone else resisting?

Only time I go there is for breakfast. Order a #3 in the drive-thru. It’s a bacon egg and cheese biscuit meal.
Hard to Fugg up. But they still get the drink wrong about half the time. 🤪

Yeah I have bad luck if I do the breakfast drive thru thing....

I always order 2 sausage mcmuffins, no egg, and a large coke.

Half the time there are eggs

Usually if I do mcds for breakfast its a saturday so my dog is with me, he doesnt mind the eggs.....
It blows my fuqkin mind evry time you pull up to tha mcds drive thru speeka “will you be using our mobile app 2day” JFC you inbred nigkra I’m in the fuqkin drive thru🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
It ain't just confused old men, I'm 46 and have no idea about this restaurant app.

I do however know how to enter the phone number when checking out at the grocery store.
F**K all aps. I am particularly pissed off by the ads that give you a deal if you use THE AP that is not available to you if you don't use it.
Whiney zoomer bullschit
An addendum:

My kid lives in downtown Portland. If I want to go into a downtown business or his apartment building that does $10million+ annually, I have to use a phone or credit card to feed a parking meter right in front of the door. No cash allowed.

If it was my store, I'd be inclined to buy the parking and limit/enforce duration. I WILL NOT be going back.

There are no parking meters, period, within 150 miles of our home.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
F**K all aps. I am particularly pissed off by the ads that give you a deal if you use THE AP that is not available to you if you don't use it.

So then use the app, get the deal, and get on with life.

Its really not that difficult
Use apps, fook up your phone , make your life more complicated.
Fuqk some apps
Fuqk yer app
Im not an anti social boomer…

But the less folks I have to deal with the better..

If that means..

Self checkout
Scan and Go ( sams club)
Food apps
Delivery apps
Pump my own gas

Then i’m happy.
It blows my fuqkin mind evry time you pull up to tha mcds drive thru speeka “will you be using our mobile app 2day” JFC you inbred nigkra I’m in the fuqkin drive thru🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

And the answer is “Yeah, my order number is AB12”. And my McMuffin is $2 instead of $4. I go straight to the pickup window and am outta there. Know what I hate? The arsehat in front of me, usually two women, who sits there and hmms and hhaws at the menu for five minutes. You know, that menu that hasn’t really changed in 50 years! Order your breakfast and get your arse moving.
Baybay out diapers let’s look on our app find the best deal do a grocery phaaguty pick up whilst we out n about could use some bagels n crème cheese holy fuqk
Baybay out diapers let’s look on our app find the best deal do a grocery phaaguty pick up whilst we out n about could use some bagels n crème cheese holy fuqk

English man,. English…
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

And the answer is “Yeah, my order number is AB12”. And my McMuffin is $2 instead of $4. I go straight to the pickup window and am outta there. Know what I hate? The arsehat in front of me, usually two women, who sits there and hmms and hhaws at the menu for five minutes. You know, that menu that hasn’t really changed in 50 years! Order your breakfast and get your arse moving.
Yes
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I guarantee you that 90 percent of the old tough guys here don't have a 50 pound sack of rice, flour or sugar in their house.

I'm in the 10% and I'm not even old. Or at least I don't think I am.

Wanna see something funny take that same arsehat and have him try to navigate one of those touch screen kiosks.

Jim, it's nothing to do with being an old tough guy. All this app crap, cell phones, internet didn't exist when I was growing up and we all did just fine, maybe we need going back to that way of life and slow down some, wouldn't hurt my feeling.

So then use the app, get the deal, and get on with life.

Its really not that difficult

Just like hitting 1 for English.
Ya fuqk the kiosk while we’re at it 😃👍

I like multiples of #25 myself fit better in basement larder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NOOOOO!

Thats how I make sure my order is right lol
Adapt. It’s the world we live in. If you don’t adapt, you navigate at your own peril. I travel a lot for a living and the more I can use apps and talk to no one, the more seamless my adventure is. A good example is hotels, I book and pay through an app, I talk to no one, I check in with the app, I pay with the app, I pick my room with the app, I Bluetooth my room, key with the app, I walk into the hotel and don’t even talk to the front desk.
Originally Posted by smallfry
Adapt. It’s the world we live in. If you don’t adapt, you navigate at your own peril. I travel a lot for a living and the more I can use apps and talk to no one, the more seamless my adventure is. A good example is hotels, I book and pay through an app, I talk to no one, I check in with the app, I pay with the app, I pick my room with the app, I Bluetooth my room, key with the app, I walk into the hotel and don’t even talk to the front desk.

Absolutely agree.

Anyone else resisting?

Haven't been in one , or Jacks, BK, etc in years.

Is there an option on there for "fries, extra crispy, no salt"?
Power wuz out this am hadn’t seen the mrs in a 2 days had to catch up on luvin😍we go to Hardee’s for coughee and a biscuit and they fucd that up 2x
Hi everyone,

I recently dined at the cheapest place I could possibly find, a place that competes exclusively on cheapness, and I have to say that their customer service did not suitably cater to me. My culinary expectations were certainly not met and I found their employees to lack the level of enthusiasm and respect that befits a man of my station.

In the future I will seek my $6 dinners elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Anyone else resisting?

Not sure on extra crispy, I do know you can get them without salt. I order without salt so they make em fresh, then cover them in salt.
I will admit to being old, but I can close the door and write enough code to make those machines or your computer work. It's just that one can't anticipate every potential interacting issue or capture every possible error. Even NASA has crashed a few space vehicles.

We're often encouraged to use the grocery self-checkout. Seems weights, measures, or counts always throw them a curve, however, and a manager has to come out and rectify the problem. No time savings there. They are fine for a few prepackaged bar-coded items, but I typically decline with the comment that "it just always seems to piss me off."

As to dealing with people, some of them are damned cute. I even pause and interact with our local gas station attendants. We actually know each other names, I don't press 1 for English, and they will wash the windshield and check the oil.

With all of this automation, how difficult is it now to interact with a person when something goes to sh-t? One finds themselves in an endless do-loop cycle monitoring instructions for the 1 - 9 keys none of which are specific to your question.
World's falling apart and the best you got is to bitch about technology you don't even use?
Just read an article last night, sushi place over on the coast, 3 stores, going to an 18% "equity fee" on every check instead of tips.

Long story short, the back of the house workers, chefs and sushi rollers, made more money during the Corona lockdowns when the place went to takeout only, any tips were split between them. Started allowing dine in and the servers came back and started getting tips and having to share them with the back of the house employees, who ended up with less than they were making. Owner says hard to keep employees they've trained for years when the servers are making more money. Customers complained on social media and such that they were losing their control over who gets tipped for good service and who doesn't, said why not just raise wages for the cooks and others in the back? Owner's reply that would mean he'd have to charge more and he'd lose business competing with the other sushi place in town. Guess he didn't figure that adding an 18% equity fee amounted to exactly the same as adding 18% to the price on the menu???

I like most of our places here. Just regular restaurants. Was impressed when my wife and I went to the local lodge/motel restaurant last week. Our server, nice young lady with lip and nose rings, looked familiar. Seated us, took our order, told us to go get salad, came back with our food. I asked " did I see you working at the other restaurant in town?" Yep she says, keeping busy. Told my wife it was nice seeing a young person doing what they needed to make money. (for all you old fogies, note the lip and nose ring part and working 2 jobs cool )

By the way , I don't order with my phone, I keep as few apps as necessary on there and wish I could do away with some already.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Anyone else resisting?

Not sure on extra crispy, I do know you can get them without salt. I order without salt so they make em fresh, then cover them in salt.

Yeah, I can add my own salt, they have little packets.

Do you ever get them already salted because they didn't read the "app" order correctly?
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Hi everyone,

I recently dined at the cheapest place I could possibly find, a place that competes exclusively on cheapness, and I have to say that their customer service did not suitably cater to me. My culinary expectations were certainly not met and I found their employees to lack the level of enthusiasm and respect that befits a man of my station.

"Let them eat cake." (Yes, I know.)
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Hi everyone,

Are you old enough to enjoy the senior, early bird menu at the restaurants?

You might look into it, substantial discount over the regular menus.

Usually done with dinner in time to watch old Columbo reruns too.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If an app is required to order food I am eating somewhere else period. And I pay with money. I don't carry a cell phone around all the time. I am not installing a program on my phone to do business with someone.
I'm right with ya....
Agreed..

Anyone else resisting?

I walk right past that pos 'kiosk' and go right to the counter and order there... I prefer to deal with a HUMAN instead of some damned machine...

And I sure as hell don't need to have a 50# sack of rice on hand... Geez - what are you who do? Chinese??

The less I need some phone, the better I'll be.. YMMV.
Power wuz out this am hadn’t seen the mrs in a 2 days had to catch up on luvin😍we go to Hardee’s for coughee and a biscuit and they fucd that up 2x
Thet donr sound like no Hardees I knowed back in 19 and 79.

the werld has shoor chandge a mite
I hate phones of all kinds.

I love the looks I get when somebody says, "We'll text you" and I tell them I don't use a cell phone. It riles me when I try to do something online and the ONLY way I can log in is via some code that they want to text to me. How do they assume that every person in this country has a cell phone and uses it for everything?
Fuqkin ppl all the time call me about some stupid schit problem they got then tell me to text only wtf🤷‍♂️
My favorite thing.....

I use the app and do inside pick up

It ask for a tip starting at 20%
We live far enough out of town that we can’t get any food delivery, so when I travel it’s a treat to get a pizza delivered to my hotel room.

I use Door Dash, it’s actually kind of fun.

P
Posted By: EdM Re: A Rant: Dinning Out and Apps? - 02/11/24
Tough stuff.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

I love the looks I get when somebody says, "We'll text you" and I tell them I don't use a cell phone. It riles me when I try to do something online and the ONLY way I can log in is via some code that they want to text to me. How do they assume that every person in this country has a cell phone and uses it for everything?

Because its 2024

If I said hey meet me at the gunshop at 1pm Im gonna assume that you arent gonna drive your horse n buggy and need an extra 4 hours

Times change

Technology changes
Know what I hate? The arsehat in front of me, usually two women, who sits there and hmms and hhaws at the menu for five minutes. You know, that menu that hasn’t really changed in 50 years! Order your breakfast and get your arse moving.

This. Anybody at a fast food counter who has to have a "conversation" with the counter person like they're discussing the menu choices with the server at a five star restaurant. They have the menu posted over the counter, in big letters. Read it and make up your mind while you're in the line, dumass.

NOOOOO!

Thats how I make sure my order is right lol
How does the kiosk make sure the order is right?
Have had a smart phone for a few months.
Reluctantly, due to awork thing.

I love it.
Stream stuff to noise canceling headphones at work.
Playing air traffic controller between 3 parties along side the road.
Stuff unimaginable 25 years ago.

Still walk in places and buy my crap, with Green Dollars.
It's easy here, Bassackward Redneckville. It only takes a 75 mile drive and it's another
world. Gotta prepay for gas, cash gets funny looks......
It's coming here. The kids and wannabe kids trying to stay cool can't
wait to show off their phone dependency
Posted By: KFWA Re: A Rant: Dinning Out and Apps? - 02/12/24
if the app makes it easier and/or cheaper I'm all for it.

I don't do a lot of apps - Sonic has half priced drinks in the app and it remembers your order from the last time so I just click on it, pay for it using Apple Pay by pressing a single button and its waiting on me in the 5 minutes I get there.

Jerseys Mikes makes it easy and while I don't eat there all that often, seems like every 5 or 6 trips I"ve earned a free sandwich from using the app.

Five Guys sucks because they make you put in a credit card number every time you order - or at least they did, and our local Chipotle is so short staffed they turn off the app during peak hours so you can't order. So never use those.

I get not wanting to use an app, and you should be able to order easily without it, but for of you that do have a smart phone, using the app has some advantages.

Mickeys D's always ask me, but for whatever reason I never think to use their app. I'm only ordering 2 mcmuffins when I go there and its on the way to work so an app isn't on my mind.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It ain't just confused old men, I'm 46 and have no idea about this restaurant app.

I do however know how to enter the phone number when checking out at the grocery store.

It's your charge account.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
One of these days some of you bastards may live to get old.....if you're lucky!
Best post of the day.
Fast food and apps....yall living in the fast lane .

I will never admire that ....or be jealous.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Because its 2024

If I said hey meet me at the gunshop at 1pm Im gonna assume that you arent gonna drive your horse n buggy and need an extra 4 hours

Times change

Technology changes

I've made arrangements many times to meet someone somewhere at a certain time and manage without a cell phone. Just tell me where and when and I can take care of getting myself there on time. The problem usually is I'm on time or a bit early and have to wait on them.
Originally Posted by KFWA
if the app makes it easier and/or cheaper I'm all for it.

I don't do a lot of apps - Sonic has half priced drinks in the app and it remembers your order from the last time so I just click on it, pay for it using Apple Pay by pressing a single button and its waiting on me in the 5 minutes I get there.

Jerseys Mikes makes it easy and while I don't eat there all that often, seems like every 5 or 6 trips I"ve earned a free sandwich from using the app.

Five Guys sucks because they make you put in a credit card number every time you order - or at least they did, and our local Chipotle is so short staffed they turn off the app during peak hours so you can't order. So never use those.

I get not wanting to use an app, and you should be able to order easily without it, but for of you that do have a smart phone, using the app has some advantages.

Mickeys D's always ask me, but for whatever reason I never think to use their app. I'm only ordering 2 mcmuffins when I go there and its on the way to work so an app isn't on my mind.

Who the Fugg eats at Chipotle’s??? 🤮
We have a Sonics and a McDs but many of these places I would have to go to a big town to eat there and I am not aware of where they would be. I have never eaten at the Sonic here and the McDs 1 time about 15 years ago. If I am in town I cook something to eat at home. When my wife was working she had to call too many of the fast food workers to come get their kids at school for head lice for me to be hungry enough to eat there. No cell phone app needed to figure that out.
If saving money is what the app is about how about eat at home for max savings?
Posted By: KFWA Re: A Rant: Dinning Out and Apps? - 02/12/24
Who the Fugg eats at Chipotle’s??? 🤮

there are 3300 of them so apparently someone is
My folks always taught us that if "everybody" else is jumping off a cliff.........................we still don't have to.

Anyone else resisting?

Yeah, we stayed at a joint in Melbourne that used an app for ordering and paying for meals in the restaurant...the app also had a nice convenient section that allowed one to add an extra percentage as a tip for non existent service.

I told them to get fucked.

And we won't be staying there again.
© 24hourcampfire