Home
Just finished cutting mine. I just use scissors. I started cutting my own when Covid broke out. Somewhere I have hair cutting kit but can’t find it. I’m not going to win a beauty contest so what the heck! My neighbor is in his 80s and has always cut his own. Any do it yourselfers out there??
I did once, a buzz cut down to short stubble, a hot summer. Doubt I could do an attractive job. 7 months before I went to a barber, maybe should have been a little sooner.
How drunk were you, is the real question..
I’ve had short hair all my life but after the scamdemic and the bullshit stolen election I decided to go against the norm and I have not cut my hair since 2020. I had a half inch taken off so that my locks stay luxurious but otherwise, to quote a good song, I’m the long haired son of a sinner.
It’s really not that difficult. The back is the hardest but once I find my hair cutting shears, I’ll be fine. They have a lot of good products now for DIY so maybe someone here will be brave enough and chime in.
y'all gonna' wind up lookin' like Ishmael in King Pin... maybe Emmo Phillips...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How drunk were you, is the real question..

Was that for me, or the OP? I only had 3 drinks before making the decision, 2 during. I didn't regret it.
I just may shave it again, around the end of April, to see how a year goes. I expect the long front hair will be a real PITA.
Cut my own occaisionally with scissors and electric dog clipper. Shave with the dog clipper too leaves me with what looks like a 5 day growth.my face sun and windburns very easy by leaving 5 days on.the face I endure the wind ,cold and sun much easier.its my hair..mb
I've cut my own for decades. I have the advantage of being ugly anyway, though. ..
I always ask her to make me irresistable to women when asked how I want it cut.

Might as well cut my own, I recon.
Been cutting my own since 2018. Don't see the point in shelling out $20 + tip every 5 weeks.
A Friend does.
Stopped going to a barber in 1985 when Max my barber died of cancer.tried to have a haircut w/ barber that bought his shop, but this guy was slow,and strange.
SOB,asked me if he could stop mid haircut to eat his lunch!
That did it, have not been back to a barber shop since.
Only difference between a good hair cut and a bad one, is two weeks anyhow
Been buzzing my own for about twenty - five years. Not difficult.
No
Only by accident...

When I am messing with saws, other sharp things... or torches.
I've been cutting my own for about 16-17 years now. I just throw a #1 head on the clippers and buzz it about once every 6-8 weeks.

I'm on my second set of clippers, but they're just cheapo Wahls, so it still comes out to almost nothing per cut over the course of several years.
Who cuts their hair at 2300 at night is the real question......
clippers, #1 setting, 10 minutes including cleanup. I hit the eyebrows while I'm at it

Haven't been to a barber in maybe 15 years

that said, I wish I had hair that required a barber.
I have shaved my head since I got out of boot camp in 2013. With exception of our wedding I’ve never had more than 3-5 days of hair on top of head. Beats dealing with barber shops around here which are mostly overweight women staffing great cuts type places
Yes, although mother nature has taken care of a lot of it. Buzz it off to the same length (short) and done. I wear a hat anytime I'm outside anyway.
Buzz my hair every 2 weeks. Been doing so for close to 15 years.
I used to but then I married a hair dresser. She does a LOT better job than I can. I'm 75 and still have plenty of hair but I also have a hinky shoulder. I don't think I could move my arm far enough to do it now.
Growing up in a small town,

There was 1 barber.

An older fellow.

Cut hair one way… high and tight.

You could say “Mr Charles , could you do this and that?”

“Sure thing… “ buzzzzz. High and tight. 😂😂

Now i cut mine wil clippers.

Guard in the winter. No guard in the summer.
I have a full luxurious head of hair. Wifey cuts it with dog clippers, sometimes I do it myself. She likes any excuse to get her hands on me. I try to get her to do it naked and sometimes it’s a pretty good show. More wrinkled than it used to be but if i don't have my cheaters on it doesn’t look much different than the day we got married.

I just asked her how long it’s been since somebody else cut my hair. She said 20-25 years and I know she is always right, so there is that.
I've done it in the past, even before Covid. During Covid I did it for about 2 years. I put a #8 guard on my clippers and cut everything the same length. I'd get my wife to touch up my neckline and around the ears.

Sometimes it turned out OK, other times it looked like I'd given myself a haircut. Lately I've been going to a shop and paying someone else to do the same thing.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Growing up in a small town,

There was 1 barber.

An older fellow.

Cut hair one way… high and tight.

You could say “Mr Charles , could you do this and that?”

“Sure thing… “ buzzzzz. High and tight. 😂😂

Now i cut mine wil clippers.

Guard in the winter. No guard in the summer.

We have one barber here in town, and he's like that too. He does, and has always done one cut on every head to ever sit in his chair 🤣 The guy is about 85 years old now, but still open 6 days a week.

He does one hell of a straight razor shave, though. I've had him do those for me before a couple of weddings over the years.
for about 40 years now, I have kept a bald head. Do it myself with a small electric clipper. Really just tidying up what nature had already started.
For most of my life I wore my hair medium length, parted, very conventional. When I retired I had my barber cut it short, basically a buzz. When he retired I bought my own electric cutter, buzz my head about once a week. I don't feel right, clean, if it grows much. Same with shaving. If I don't shave daily or at least every other day, I don't feel clean. When I was in my 30s, a long time ago, I wore my hair a bit longer, and for about a year and half had a beard, back when beards weren't fashionable, considered nonconforming. I always kept it groomed, and shaved around the edges and my neck. My wife of almost 50 years doesn't like beards, and I see no reason to advertise my geezerhood with a grey beard. It's pretty obvious anyhow.
I will turn 68 next month and have never sat in a barber’s chair. Mom cut it as a boy and my wife has cut it for the last 48 years. Needless to say, there isn’t as much to cut as there was when we first got married.
Guess I’m an outlier here. It would be a cold day in hell before I’d cut my own hair. I can’t even trim my own beard without making a disaster of it. Going to the barber this afternoon, in fact (real barber, not a women’s hairdresser.)
I haven't paid for a haircut in 25 years. New clippers every other year and cut it every 3 weeks. I don't have enough hair to worry about anyway.
Before I retired, I needed to have a decent cut. Oh, how tired I got of going into the barber, saying, "take an inch off", and I'd watch as they cut a half inch off. If I ask them to cut 3/4" off, they'd cut a 1/4" off. When I retired I bought a Wahl's clippers, put the one inch comb on....do it 2/3 times a year, and scissor trim around the ears a couple times between the clipper trim and I'm good to go. I cut it when it gets too long, and, DON'T GIVE A $HIT HOW GOOD/BAD IT LOOKS.
I used to and think I will start again. The haircuts I have been paying for lately are not very good.
I cut mine...basic buzz cut. I dont have a lot of hair to bother with. I don't wanna pay somebody $20 to cut 20 hairs...
Originally Posted by ReedsRebel
I have a full luxurious head of hair. Wifey cuts it with dog clippers, sometimes I do it myself. She likes any excuse to get her hands on me. I try to get her to do it naked and sometimes it’s a pretty good show. More wrinkled than it used to be but if i don't have my cheaters on it doesn’t look much different than the day we got married.

I just asked her how long it’s been since somebody else cut my hair. She said 20-25 years and I know she is always right, so there is that.

Did you just self describe your hair as full and luxurious?

Yep. You did.
I cut mine. Over the last 12 years of doing so probably added up to a nice rifle by now.
A handful of times when I lived in Kazakhstan.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I cut mine. Over the last 12 years of doing so probably added up to a nice rifle by now.

Yeah, me too. Women are always ogling my body, they're not looking at my hair anyway.

And when I tell someone that I cut my own hair, I always make sure to thank them for not saying "yes, I can tell," or, "don't worry, it'll grow out."
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Been buzzing my own for about twenty - five years. Not difficult.
This. So quick and easy not sure why people pay. Especially if they have short hair not styled like mine has been for so long I can't recall anymore.
Last time mine was professionally cut was 1981 just prior to getting married. It's been cut at home ever since.
Every day, with a Norelco.
Occasionaly I'll skip a day and let my freak flag fly.
Been cutting my own hair for 20-25 years.

I just cut it as short as the clipper will mow it off.

I check the back with a hand held mirror to make sure I got it all.

Virgil B.
I do. With Creamo and a razor. Smooth as a babies butt!

Ron
I get a hair cut every year or so. Got one this month, might get one in May, before heading to Alaska for the grand daughters graduation. Luckily I only need to cut the sides, nature took care of the top!
Yep, clippers, no comb, about every 3-4 weeks.
We used to have a one arm barber in our town and I went to him. He lost part of his arm in a roping accident. Used a prosthesis on that arm to hold the clippers. His name was Roland same as my dad’s name. It was truly an event where the first liar didn’t have a chance. Haircut could last an hour or more if nobody else came in the shop. Sure miss Roland. My wife cuts my hair now.
Flowbee. Bought one 6 or 7 years ago and with that and my handy dandy shop vac I can do my own at mutiple lengths in about 5 minutes with no mess at all. Don't laugh they really work........................

https://flowbee.com/
Been about two years since I've had a haircut
I pay $40 including tip to a nice attractive young gal to cut and style it every 3 weeks, I have a full head of hair and blessed with a hair line holding so far.
Originally Posted by buntingmiester

LOL!
I have had to dash out of a barber's chair with half of a haircut a few times to respond to a fire call.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
I pay $40 including tip to a nice attractive young gal to cut and style it every 3 weeks, I have a full head of hair and blessed with a hair line holding so far.
Does she rub her titties on your face, for forty dollars, she should!
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Does she rub her titties on your face, for forty dollars, she should!

Uuuummmmm, no. That's the going rate around here for a quality haircut, it's not a buzzcut barbershop type deal. I was paying $20-25 including tip 20 years ago or so.
Bald so Just clip it all. Braille the back. I trim my beard too. Put sn old mirror put backdoor no need of sweeping.
I use to wear my hair pretty long . About 5 years ago after taking a ride on my scoot on a hot summers day,I pulled my helmet off and my head was sopping wet from sweat . So I buzzed my hair off and have been doing it short ever since .
My wife has been doing mine since we got together 15 years ago. Before that, a neighbor girl used to do it. She would rest her boobs on my shoulder. My wife does that too, but she has nicer boobs.
For $40 I can buy a new clipper once a year and buy myself a burger with the change.
My wife cut my hair until I retired last year. I said that when I retired I was going to let my hair grow until it comes down to my azz. It is pretty long right now.
Originally Posted by Paul39
For $40 I can buy a new clipper once a year and buy myself a burger with the change.

Clippers would only work for me if I had a buzz cut, I'm not talented enough to cut hair correctly especially behind my head.....the difference here is buzz vs styled.
I've paid for one haircut since 31 Dec 67
No Haircut song?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've paid for one haircut since 31 Dec 67

Having hair is a prerequisite smile
Does shaving my head count as such ?

If so then yes.

Been shaving my head for close to 20 years now.
I wouldn't take a full head of hair for million bucks !
I shave mine. I cut my wife's hair though. I'm OCD and very good at it. Learned from being drug around to places as a young kid and used to watch the lady cut my mom's hair and picked up on it. Saves money.
Hell no.
My barber serves cocktails. Enough said.
Originally Posted by RUM7
Hell no.

At least then you don't notice how shįtty a job he does.

And before you get assy....our barber had a booth in the bar.
Cut my own ever since I retired. Clipper cut, 3 on top, 2 on the sides. Looks just like the barber did it for $20.
When (if) I retire I am going to stop getting my hair cut.
Get a haircut and get a real job... Clean up your act and don't be a slob... Get it together like your big brother Bob... why don't you get a haircut and get a real job?...
I used to go out to a ladies house to get mine cut. Her husband has some heart issues and when Covid started and with all of the unknown about it. I didn't want to risk transmitting it to him. I bought a Wahl trimmer and have been doing my own since. I don't have much hair anyway. I do miss the vegetables. He grew a monster garden and grew everything imagineable. He always gave me a sack full of something good.
shave and a haircut
two bits.

i shave my own head. i figured from getting bald, i'm one step ahead of it.
Yup, like many here, I buzz it when it is needed. What is aggravating is the hair around the ears always grows way faster than the rest of the head. I look like a douche-nozzle if it gets too long!
https://www.amazon.com/Bazivve-Upgraded-Waterproof-Electric-Rechargeable/dp/B0CSDJV5FW/ref=sr_1_53?crid=TRTJ8CSO0ID0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.qEj166ApMDe3JQ5QGZws1-BYMRz-DxR4iV2LYkumJ3w0IGutMkfXEhjjafxNCgUVtaxKL9MfOPdI0vB7O74yJoSlum4AKhOIo1CrW8YOqyXpLukDjhUaydymSiWdQS6ShcMujUObPkXqfB04qMRM5JfZXu1CQO2_wH6Sd09IZOWiODnpR9rs5TqzpdZM9W6kX7Z1p2JlyyDBYcbTso-jLkv0s60Q95HauGZYLWBrwMc9rwvca0K1gpscKOa4cRTL8MNN9F3kqzRlAAflVZIEsAnhJtVXuRj5VMAfPI0IDC4.ujmYJlmY9GoEpqi1N40f-o1I83qw2gPXpzim-FWyKkU&dib_tag=se&keywords=electric+razor+for+men&qid=1708453922&sprefix=Ele%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-53

GF got me this.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hell no.

assy?
Not me.......
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hell no.

assy?
Not me.......

We always tried to get a haircut at about 10.

Ten was late enough that he wasn't as hung over...and he wasn't already too drunk.
Typical male pattern baldness for me and has been for many years, no need to pay anyone to clip it. Use a buzzcutter with whatever length gauge that I feel is appropriate for the season on noggin and beard. At least something in life is cheap.
I shave my head, so yes.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Just finished cutting mine. I just use scissors. I started cutting my own when Covid broke out. Somewhere I have hair cutting kit but can’t find it. I’m not going to win a beauty contest so what the heck! My neighbor is in his 80s and has always cut his own. Any do it yourselfers out there??

Yes , and cut other peoples hair too.
My daughter does mine after watching a couple YouTube videos. She does a good job it looks good and I give her a 5 spot. Win-Win.
I buzz cut my own.
Buzz mine off every month or so. Works for ,me.
Been doing my own for the past 30 years. Used to be every Saturday. Now every other Saturday. On my third set of Walmart clippers. $15 IIRC? Less than 10 minutes start to finish including sweeping the floor. Time and money well spent.
Stopped going to a barber in 1985 when Max my barber died of cancer.tried to have a haircut w/ barber that bought his shop, but this guy was slow,and strange.
Would this one her Barbers name happen to be Floyd? 😂
guilty. $17 bux for a haircut is BS.. I bought a hair shears and chop off my own.. I've already saved about $75 over the last year... When I was in Jr. High a haircut was $.50.... Adults were $.75..
A $10 haircut every 4-6 weeks is such a burden.
My haircuts cost a little more, but the gal is good, cute and has a nice rack.
I’ve had a barber cut my hair 2 times in 34 years, so yea I cut my own hair.
During the scamdemic barber shops were closed so I bought a clipper kit online and learned. The back is the tricky spot but I hang a mirror behind me and it actually looks pretty good. Takes me about 15 - 20 minutes. The clipper kit has more than paid for itself and I don't have to go anywhere... Sorry I didn't start sooner.
Yes, I do - a flat-top too.
#2 or #3 all around
been doing mine 40 + years, first guard for beard & eye brows ,next size guard for the head hair. do it out in the barn so no need to sweep up , spring time the nesting birds fight for it for nesting material .
I have been cutting my own hair.
Did when I was in college (early 90’s), still in Army reserves so was similar to a high and tight. Started again during Covid, but I wear it a little longer now, still cut it every 2 weeks. I use a 1 on sides and back, 2 on top but leave it a little longer in front, hardest part is blending the different lengths - still faster than driving to a barber and back along with saving $25! Ladies at work were surprised when I told em I was doing it myself so must not be too bad. That and my wife would make me go somewhere if it wasn’t alright.
I worked with a guy that cut his own hair. It looked it too. The funny part this guy was loaded with money. Been single most of his life. Managment position with a large tech company. Looked like he put a bowl on his head and cut around it.
I do. Couldn’t get it done during the shutdown, so I did it with an electric trimmer. #5 guide all over, then #3 or 4 on the sides. Turns out much more convenient than going back to the shop for it.
For over 20 years.
Anybody using a Flowbee?
Prices of haircuts have been insane lately. I cringe taking my son.
Of course.
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Prices of haircuts have been insane lately. I cringe taking my son.

It appears they are cheap for the guys with no hair or lacking style, I mean a Flowbee ?

lololol
Yep. Should have started about five years ago. Simple Wahl plug-in trimmer, nothing fancy. Nor is my haircut.
No.

Never paid for a haircut either.
Mom was a beautician, she taught my wife.

The good,
it's cheap and we enjoy the time.

The bad,
with no appointment and us both having to want to do it,
I get awful shaggy sometimes.
© 24hourcampfire