Home
Posted By: Teal Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Shout out to this guy - one shot, done. In a world of "LEO fired 72 rounds, striking the suspect 3 times..." - he was efficient.

No Acorns were involved in the making of this video...
I would say that was just instinctive shooting. I would be shocked if he ever saw his front sight. (Probably a lot of luck too)

The issue with couch riders is they don't know what they don't know. First let's state some facts. Yes a majority of police officers are terrible shots, just like a majority of everyone else. Yes a fraction of police training is involving firearms. Police need to know how to investigate a myriad of crimes all of which happen more than shooting someone, therefore training is skewed. Should police take the initiative to train on their own? Yes. Some do. Most don't. Do you spend time and money practicing for your job in your free time? I didn't think so.

Now onto more facts. Most officer involved shootings take place with handguns. Handguns cartridges, no matter the headstamp, poke holes. They don't have the velocity to create terminal wounding like rifle rounds. So even if you hit someone, unless it's a cns hit, you'll probably need to keep shooting them, as incapacitating takes time (loss of oxygenated blood from body, sucking chest wound, etc).

Now let the couch riders start b itchin
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Jackson is there any handgun at all that is more effective? You sound like an expert so please let me know.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I would say that was just instinctive shooting. I would be shocked if he ever saw his front sight.

It looked like a distance of about 7 or 8 yards.

I'm sure you are right about it being an instinct shot, but some do practice and train for that. From the way he handled the pistol, it seems like he was pretty proficient.

Can't fault it in any way.
Now onto more facts. .... Handguns cartridges,....... don't have the velocity to create terminal wounding

lol
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Some cops just like the general public are better shots than others. My best friends son is a deputy with the local sherrif's department and just made Corporal at 25. I hope he never has to use it but he's a heck of a shot with a handgun. He qualifies twice a year shooting top or near the top and shoots on his one once or twice a week. Other cops I've seen needed multiple rounds to finish off a deer hit by a vehicle on the side of the road. Either way nice shooting in the video
Posted By: logger Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
I wonder what was edited out of the video. He starts on the right side of the vehicle and is startled and then he is on the left side of the vehicle where he retreats and shoots.
Posted By: 673 Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Great shot!
Posted By: Teal Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Some cops just like the general public are better shots than others. My best friends son is a deputy with the local sherrif's department and just made Corporal at 25. I hope he never has to use it but he's a heck of a shot with a handgun. He qualifies twice a year shooting top or near the top and shoots on his one once or twice a week. Other cops I've seen needed multiple rounds to finish off a deer hit by a vehicle on the side of the road. Either way nice shooting in the video

I've only known 1 cop I'd say was a real good rifle shot. Won the National Patrol Rifle Competition once. He can shoot rather well.
Originally Posted by logger
I wonder what was edited out of the video. He starts on the right side of the vehicle and is startled and then he is on the left side of the vehicle where he retreats and shoots.

I think they just reversed the image. Look at the location of the Ford oval. It switches sides.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Logger, thought I was seeing right, but the way camera’s always look ass backwards now, like rings on fingers, are they married or not, he probably did safety walk up on passenger side, ended up with driver, probably wets !
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Jackson is there any handgun at all that is more effective? You sound like an expert so please let me know.

Maybe a 10mm, but most can't shoot it worth a s hit due to recoil.

Handgun cartridges poke holes. Ask anyone that knows about terminal ballistics, they will tell you the same thing.
Posted By: DMc Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/20/24
Precisely! WTF
Originally Posted by DMc
Precisely! WTF

They literally did nothing but reverse the image mid stream. Compare the blue oval on the tailgate at 14 seconds to 15 seconds. You also didn't notice the cars/trucks in the driveway down the street flipping sides?
If you watch the truck in the drive way, You'll see that they mirrored the video in the first part.
Originally Posted by Troutnut

Saw a state trooper shooting years ago at my grand parents farm with a revolver, he was an uncles buddy. Couldn’t hit a target to save his ass, I was blown away.
No idea how he qualified.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
We trained everything from one arms length away to 50 yards. I used to be a good shot but that was 15 years ago. I do requalify every year but that is not like training 6 or more times a year. That officer did what he had to do and he did it well.

kwg
The only thing Jackazz Handjob is "expert" at is shoveling bulscheidt!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
The image mirroring is a bit confusing. I've seen camera setups where images are mirrored. I.e. Facing the camera, if I wave might my right hand the screen image is lifting its left. I also encounter some set ups that display the proper orientation.

As to handguns: Likely I could not shoot my way out of a paper bag. With a rifle and a couple seconds of time, I THINK I'd be fairly deadly.

Back on handguns: Years back as teenagers, a buddy and I were out wood chucking in Va in the company of a neighboring career Marine instructor. While paralleling a brushed-up cornfield fence row, he repeatedly decked feeding pigeons out to 50 or 60 yds with his 1911. While not adrenaline-charged shots, I was impressed. He pulled a couple out of the air too, as they were doing their orientation circle on takeoff.

I have some current LEO acquaintances that have been in a couple exchanges. Most admitted that when surprised and the adrenalin kicked in, they were in spray and pray mode.

If the event was a pursuit where the perp eventually emerges on the fight, there was a bit more purpose and focus in their actions.

With either situation though, I suspect training helps.
Some people who have been involved in work related shootings, refrain from talking about the subject.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
If there were such a thing as instinctive shooting, we wouldn't have to practice to get better.
Well done.
Point n click! Instinctive like throwing a football at your brother running all out.
Yeah, I wonder why they felt the need to cut a big chunk out from the middle or that clip.
Posted By: Teal Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, I wonder why they felt the need to cut a big chunk out from the middle or that clip.

What did they cut out? Pertinent is his shooting - not before or after.

1. Cop on right, situation comes apart. He's moving to the rear to create space.

2. video mirrors/flips (you can tell by the Ford badge on the tailgate and the vehicles/houses changing sides)

3. Cop on left then as situation comes apart and he's moving to the rear to create space. It's the same activity you see in 1. Repeated - just flipped perspective. What's cut out, considering it's the same activity - just flipped?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
…………..
Posted By: rost495 Re: Someone's been practicing - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I would say that was just instinctive shooting. I would be shocked if he ever saw his front sight.

It looked like a distance of about 7 or 8 yards.

I'm sure you are right about it being an instinct shot, but some do practice and train for that. From the way he handled the pistol, it seems like he was pretty proficient.

Can't fault it in any way.
7/8 yards if I'm using a front sight I'm a dumbass.
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Maybe a 10mm, but most can't shoot it worth a s hit due to recoil.

Handgun cartridges poke holes. Ask anyone that knows about terminal ballistics, they will tell you the same thing.
10 mm is the only handgun round that has impressed us with a bit quicker kills etc.... Nothing has gotten out of sight after the hit with the 10 IE animals.
The recoil of the 10 is very minimal. Smaller framed wife shoots it just fine. Carries it for bears and moose protection along with 2 legged sometimes.

That said I've killed quite a few things with 9mm lately IE deer and pigs. With the right bullets it works really well. Of course I've shot a deer once with a 380 and it didn't go far either.

Thats instinctive distance shooting. NO sights needed really. Unless we have to start shooting at parts of a head or such. And the bottom line is you keep shooting until the threat is no more.
I don't like that, and I dont' like having to shoot as a guide, but, especially on big bears, if I have to start shooting I keep shooting until the bear quits moving and likely give it one more past that. Which often requires a reload on my 458 LOL

That was a refreshing video. Damn scary but refreshing. A good single hit at close range. Personally I'd have shot him another time or two at least but liability bullshit etc... I get it. Plus he had to worry about the other guy in the truck too being loose.
© 24hourcampfire