Home
Have always had good luck with Kelty for backpacking tents, but now we're looking for something we can all fit in together (adults and kids)... weight isn't really an issue for camping with the truck right there. Needs to fit at least 6. Mainly interested in durability and how well it does repelling water.

Thanks y'all.
Kodiak Canvas flex bow 10x14
Originally Posted by LBP
Great tent but 6 people will be tight with much gear
Never got wet in a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, and they're on sale.
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Great tents,,,an 8 man is a palace and just as weatherproof!
2=4, 3=6, 4=8, etc...

Always get a vestibule.
Yes. purchase something that will hold at least 10 or more. All are sized to hold Asian midgets. Maybe two 8-man tents.
The new Alaska guy tents better than them old pieces of crap it's thinner but it's more thought out I went through this couple years ago
A tent advertised as a 6 person tent will actually only accommodate 3 persons comfortably, with some gear.
A Cabela's 12x20 Alakanak would be big enough for for that amount of people. I've had one for several years and have had five people and gear along with the wood stove and didn't feel cramped.
Originally Posted by LBP
Yep this is the tent. I think 6 people are ok. I have a kodiak 10x14 An 8x9 and a 10x14 Springbar. Used these tents for years in Boy Scouts too.

This is what I picked up for my wife. She wanted something the size of her bedroom for herself.

Its stood up with no problems in some pretty heavy winds over on the Oregon Coast, with winds coming off the ocean in the 60 to 80 mph range. She's got a big old Cabelas Cot in there also, she sleeps on, with some heavy duty Arctic Bag from them.

Meanwhile, my tent is my 4 Runner and I use a pad from one of my old VW Campers from the late 70s and a surplus Army sleeping bag. Works out fine for me, bad weather or good.
Eureka Timberline 6, it's tall enough to stand inside but might be a bit tight for 6.
Depends on the age and size of the kids. Also on whether you’ll want cots. An 8 person tent sounds right for a family with kids.

To me, waterproof means a fly. When possible, we usually fly a tarp above the tent. That helps in hot sunny weather, too. For summer use, get lots of ventilation. At some point tents just get too big to easily pitch and manage easily. For 6 adult sized people, consider two tents.
hands down, the Eureka Timberline Outfitter
I'd get two 6 person tents for 6 people. Or three 4 person tents
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'd get two 6 person tents for 6 people. Or three 4 person tents

I'd get two tents just to separate the adults and children!
Originally Posted by waterrat

Loved mine until the fly coating started to fail. But that was after about 15 years. I'd get another.
I would get a 14 x 16 wall tent. Several good quality brands on the market.
3 years ago, I bought a Core 10x14 straight wall tent. It's not a 4 season tent, but the wife and I spent a week in it in Feb. and it got below freezing during that week. Zero rated sleeping bags, plenty of blankets, sleeping on cots, and a heater made it comfortable. I was worried about the straight sides and the wind, but we put it up like the directions said and 30 mph winds didn't phase it. They make on version that has the real quick set up and take down, but I opted for the traditional poles. We've used the tent on several occasions and have really liked it. Never had it leak, but we do put a tarp under it and trench around the outside. Put up takes about 15 min. after you do it a couple of times. Take down about the same. Being able to stand next to any wall of the tent (straight walls) is really nice. Makes the tent seem a lot bigger than the tents with slanted walls.

Just my .02.

Added.... this is not a backpacking tent.
I have both and for 2 people the 8 is the only way to go. Really like that tent. Also have a Bighorn lll with wood stove love the room but 6 people? Fug that..mb
Clockwork:

Several previous posts have commented on size vs capacity rating, and I confirm their recommendations. A tent advertised to hold six persons will hold six sleeping bags and no more. No gear. For that many people where weight is not a problem, a 12'x16' wall tent would be my recommendations. That size assumes that you are not going to be using a wood stove to heat the tent. A stove will take up the room that normally would hold at least two sleeping bags plus gear. Be aware that it will take about three people working together to easily setup.

I own a Cabelas Instinct-6 tent. It's a really good, bombproof 4-season dome tent. But, it's too small for six people plus gear. This situation is common throughout the tent manufacturing industry. I also own an REI Base Camp 6 tent. It's a 3-season dome tent and it works OK for 4 sleeping bags plus gear.

Davis Tent & Awning, in Denver, makes great wall tents.

Previous posts have noted that Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tents are on sale. That just might be the best way to go. Although be aware that since Bass Pro Shops aquired Cabelas, they have reduced that warranty to one year.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
A tent advertised as a 6 person tent will actually only accommodate 3 persons comfortably, with some gear.

That^^^^
Go '8' or more
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I have both and for 2 people the 8 is the only way to go. Really like that tent. Also have a Bighorn lll with wood stove love the room but 6 people? Fug that..mb

We had a 8 that we used, mostly just wife and I[on occasion our son too].
I could stand up straight in it @ 6'4"
We used totes as nightstands and either our king or queen air mattress w/room to move around/dress etc still.
I have a 10x14 Kodiak, 8 would be tight if everyone just sleeping on pads.

We had 5 and 3 dogs and wasn't too bad.
I'm looking at a 10'x10' Kodiak VX right now for 2 people
Kodiak Canvas 12x16 Cabin tent. Easy 2 person set up and I have never had it fail in weather.
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I'm looking at a 10'x10' Kodiak VX right now for 2 people
Go with a 10x12 if you can, 10x10 is just a little too tight for me for 2 people and gear.
Dad used to have a saying about capacity regarding sleeping bags, tents, campers, etc:

"Sleeps 1, fooks 2, multiply as needed".
Originally Posted by KC
Clockwork:

Several previous posts have commented on size vs capacity rating, and I confirm their recommendations. A tent advertised to hold six persons will hold six sleeping bags and no more. No gear. For that many people where weight is not a problem, a 12'x16' wall tent would be my recommendations. That size assumes that you are not going to be using a wood stove to heat the tent. A stove will take up the room that normally would hold at least two sleeping bags plus gear. Be aware that it will take about three people working together to easily setup.

I own a Cabelas Instinct-6 tent. It's a really good, bombproof 4-season dome tent. But, it's too small for six people plus gear. This situation is common throughout the tent manufacturing industry. I also own an REI Base Camp 6 tent. It's a 3-season dome tent and it works OK for 4 sleeping bags plus gear.

Davis Tent & Awning, in Denver, makes great wall tents.

Previous posts have noted that Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tents are on sale. That just might be the best way to go. Although be aware that since Bass Pro Shops aquired Cabelas, they have reduced that warranty to one year.
. 14 x 16 put two across the back wall, 12 won't accommodate two across the back. I have both. 12 x 14 is a great two man tent, for long camps. Three is crowded. 14 x 16 will accommodate 4 comfortably. Just my experience! Both are easier erected by two people, but can be done by one with proper planning. Using either internal frame, or traditional pole system. .my 2 cents worth.

I am on my second Alaskan Guide tent. Those stood up to weather that flattened all others. Never got wet inside and stood up in all kinds of wind. A buddy heater keeps them warm in the snow.
Gazelle T4 Plus GT450SS "8 person". Sets up in about 2 minutes, pops up with hubs like hunting blinds. About 8' by 14'. Works well with four adults on cots, or two adults and four kids on sleeping pads.

Best solution for 6 adults would be the above tent for four persons and a Gazelle T3 or T4, 3 or 4 person hub style tent for two persons.

We've had the T4 Plus for three years and it's been through some heavy rainstorms.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Originally Posted by LBP
Great tent but 6 people will be tight with much gear

with a stove jack put in.. 4 guys with gear and cots would fit fine in ere. With air pads six would fit
© 24hourcampfire