Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Never got wet in a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, and they're on sale.
Great tents,,,an 8 man is a palace and just as weatherproof!
I have both and for 2 people the 8 is the only way to go. Really like that tent. Also have a Bighorn lll with wood stove love the room but 6 people? Fug that..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clockwork:

Several previous posts have commented on size vs capacity rating, and I confirm their recommendations. A tent advertised to hold six persons will hold six sleeping bags and no more. No gear. For that many people where weight is not a problem, a 12'x16' wall tent would be my recommendations. That size assumes that you are not going to be using a wood stove to heat the tent. A stove will take up the room that normally would hold at least two sleeping bags plus gear. Be aware that it will take about three people working together to easily setup.

I own a Cabelas Instinct-6 tent. It's a really good, bombproof 4-season dome tent. But, it's too small for six people plus gear. This situation is common throughout the tent manufacturing industry. I also own an REI Base Camp 6 tent. It's a 3-season dome tent and it works OK for 4 sleeping bags plus gear.

Davis Tent & Awning, in Denver, makes great wall tents.

Previous posts have noted that Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tents are on sale. That just might be the best way to go. Although be aware that since Bass Pro Shops aquired Cabelas, they have reduced that warranty to one year.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RS308MX
A tent advertised as a 6 person tent will actually only accommodate 3 persons comfortably, with some gear.

That^^^^
Go '8' or more

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by waterrat
Great tents,,,an 8 man is a palace and just as weatherproof!
I have both and for 2 people the 8 is the only way to go. Really like that tent. Also have a Bighorn lll with wood stove love the room but 6 people? Fug that..mb

We had a 8 that we used, mostly just wife and I[on occasion our son too].
I could stand up straight in it @ 6'4"
We used totes as nightstands and either our king or queen air mattress w/room to move around/dress etc still.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 10x14 Kodiak, 8 would be tight if everyone just sleeping on pads.

We had 5 and 3 dogs and wasn't too bad.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at a 10'x10' Kodiak VX right now for 2 people

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kodiak Canvas 12x16 Cabin tent. Easy 2 person set up and I have never had it fail in weather.

Last edited by Torque; 03/06/24.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I'm looking at a 10'x10' Kodiak VX right now for 2 people
Go with a 10x12 if you can, 10x10 is just a little too tight for me for 2 people and gear.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dad used to have a saying about capacity regarding sleeping bags, tents, campers, etc:

"Sleeps 1, fooks 2, multiply as needed".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by KC
Clockwork:

Several previous posts have commented on size vs capacity rating, and I confirm their recommendations. A tent advertised to hold six persons will hold six sleeping bags and no more. No gear. For that many people where weight is not a problem, a 12'x16' wall tent would be my recommendations. That size assumes that you are not going to be using a wood stove to heat the tent. A stove will take up the room that normally would hold at least two sleeping bags plus gear. Be aware that it will take about three people working together to easily setup.

I own a Cabelas Instinct-6 tent. It's a really good, bombproof 4-season dome tent. But, it's too small for six people plus gear. This situation is common throughout the tent manufacturing industry. I also own an REI Base Camp 6 tent. It's a 3-season dome tent and it works OK for 4 sleeping bags plus gear.

Davis Tent & Awning, in Denver, makes great wall tents.

Previous posts have noted that Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tents are on sale. That just might be the best way to go. Although be aware that since Bass Pro Shops aquired Cabelas, they have reduced that warranty to one year.
. 14 x 16 put two across the back wall, 12 won't accommodate two across the back. I have both. 12 x 14 is a great two man tent, for long camps. Three is crowded. 14 x 16 will accommodate 4 comfortably. Just my experience! Both are easier erected by two people, but can be done by one with proper planning. Using either internal frame, or traditional pole system. .my 2 cents worth.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am on my second Alaskan Guide tent. Those stood up to weather that flattened all others. Never got wet inside and stood up in all kinds of wind. A buddy heater keeps them warm in the snow.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Gazelle T4 Plus GT450SS "8 person". Sets up in about 2 minutes, pops up with hubs like hunting blinds. About 8' by 14'. Works well with four adults on cots, or two adults and four kids on sleeping pads.

Best solution for 6 adults would be the above tent for four persons and a Gazelle T3 or T4, 3 or 4 person hub style tent for two persons.

We've had the T4 Plus for three years and it's been through some heavy rainstorms.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Originally Posted by LBP
Kodiak Canvas flex bow 10x14
Great tent but 6 people will be tight with much gear

with a stove jack put in.. 4 guys with gear and cots would fit fine in ere. With air pads six would fit

Last edited by ribka; 03/06/24.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.