Home
Posted By: Hastings NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Being a life member my NRA ballot came with my magazine yesterday with 34 names and instructions to not vote for more than 25. I know not to vote for Carolyn Meadows although I do have to give her credit for loyalty.

Are there any reform candidates on the ballot that would cause trouble for the board members that caused the mess we are in? What about Jeffery Knox of Arizona?

The jury in New York is deliberating right now so It might be a good idea to see how that shakes out before voting. Some of the candidates on the list may be mentioned in the decision.

I still believe the good old NRA is finished but it might be a good idea to have some dissidents on the BOD during its dissolution.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Got mine in the magazine couple days ago.

I'll wait a bit to fill it out and send back.

Follow this thread too, thanks for posting Hastings.
Following.
Posted By: Hastings Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
AmmoLand has an article from yesterday that I found by googling Jeff Knox. He recommends 4 reform candidates. They are Phil Journey, Rocky Marshall, Dennis Fusaro, and of course Jeff Knox. These candidates are on the ballot by member nomination by petition

Jeff says that winning a board seat without support of the current regime is historically near impossible.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Going to follow this thread. My plan, at this point, is to vote yes on the bylaw change, vote for all non-incumbent candidates and pick and choose among what’s left. I will be especially predisposed against supporting candidates with big name recognition, long history on this board and membership on a bunch of other boards as well.

Interested in the thoughts of others. Would be nice if we could keep it to how we plan to vote and our rationale for doing so and avoid all the rants about “They’re not getting another nickel from me…I’m supporting GOA…” etc, etc. We’ve heard all that for a few years now, everyone understands… would be nice if we could keep this thread focused on this election, who, why… (I realize that’s asking a lot.)
Posted By: dale06 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Following.
Anyone know, what’s the compensation for these board seats?
Originally Posted by dale06
Following.
I don’t know but I think it’s an unpaid position. It’s the perks and keeping a lid on opposition that is the deal. Unless I hear different I plan to vote for the 4 That Jeff Knox recommended.

Probably too late to save the NRA but would be good to have some cats watching the rats.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
It would be nice if some of the firearms "journalists" could be motivated to take a break from shilling for manufacturers and interview some of the current NRA board members.
Posted By: szihn Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Is there a box to check by each name for the position of "Prison cell"?

If not, it's probably not going to be any better today then it was 2 years, or 10 years a go.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
I'm not familiar with those names, mainly. I will follow this thread, too.

L.W.
Following.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Originally Posted by cra1948
It would be nice if some of the firearms "journalists" could be motivated to take a break from shilling for manufacturers and interview some of the current NRA board members.

That's a danged fine idea.

Since I doubt this will happen, I will vote for Jeff Knox's four candidates.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
FYI:

https://www.ammoland.com/2024/02/ny-vs-nra-statement-by-former-bod-timothy-knight/

NY vs. NRA: Statement by Former BOD Timothy Knight

The verdict in the NY vs. NRA case is due shortly.

Although I believe the case had some political motivations behind it based on the words of the New York Attorney General when she was running for office, I don’t think NRA members should dismiss the grave concerns revealed in what is now several court cases.

I, along with a few other directors, expressed concerns over the misappropriation of funds both internally and then later publicly in 2019.

We recognized who our boss actually was: our fellow members who were faithfully paying their dues.

We did not believe the NRA Board and management were holding to the mission of the Association, nor were they being transparent about expenses. Every NRA Director has a duty to the members, the law, and the NRA’s mission statement. Several of us were dismissed from our committees and accused of disloyalty towards the NRA for raising our financial concerns. Most Board members were too scared to stand up to Wayne and his cronies, especially Marion Hammer. Other Board members were part of the management cabal themselves and had no intention of changing a thing. So, the Board circled their wagons and remained silent. They were unwilling or unable to speak up or divided on where their loyalties lay.

The current NRA Board has failed in its duty to the NRA members, and I think that every single Board member who hasn’t openly spoken up about reform and responsibility should resign immediately.

Our Association deserves bold, honorable, and honest Board members focused on their legal responsibilities and on the members who elected them. No more should they focus on those who can dole out favors, vacations, car rides, consulting fees, and other grafts. We need to stop electing the silent, the complicit, or those who hope to be “trusted remainders” when this all blows over. Board members who are 2nd Amendment heroes, politicians, or captains of industry might once have been effective for our association. They are no longer effective and need to resign as well.

To fix our association, we need a much smaller board with term limits as well as a significant revision of the structure the board operates under. Strict disclosure rules for Board members and management need to be enforced and shared with NRA members during the annual meeting. This information should be disclosed to everyone during the main members’ business meeting, which is open to the public.

I trust the members who make up the association and in the mission statement that should always keep it focused. We need new leadership and a new board now. If both do not change, the slow degradation of our once great association will do more damage to our civil rights, hunting culture, gun safety education, and competitions that we can ill afford. My fellow members, if the court does not grant you the remedy you think is deserved, please stop supporting the do nothing, ne’er do wells, and the faded heroes.

If we want our Republic back, let’s start with our association!

I look forward to the day when the NRA, once again, through hard work and results, regains the trust of millions of law-abiding gun owners. We are stronger when we stand together as hunters, competitors, enthusiasts, advocates, and educators.

Timothy Knight
NRA Board of Directors 2015-2019
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Four new board members will not change anything. The others will roll right over them and never look back. It is a corrupt board that has enabled Wayne all along with their blessings. They need a new board with all new people to rid of the old ways, until then more of the same.
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
Four new board members will not change anything. The others will roll right over them and never look back. It is a corrupt board that has enabled Wayne all along with their blessings. They need a new board with all new people to rid of the old ways, until then more of the same.
To a certain extent you are correct. Four board members out 76 cannot outvote the other 72 but maybe 4 loud mouthed malcontents can expose the wrong doing that goes on in secret executive sessions and steadily beat the drum of reform and most importantly embarrass the hell out of the rats running the show with the exposure of their misfeasance.

We have until April 28th to return our ballots. Let's hang on while. Never can tell, some more good guys may surface. Whatever you do, DON'T vote for Carolyn Meadows and do consider voting for anyone that supports ousting interim CEO Andrew Arulanandam who has backed Wayne LaPierre and was Wayne's handpicked successor. Considering his unwavering support of Mr. Lapierre I don't blame Wayne for putting him in charge but we cannot afford to have a CEO intent on covering up the malfeasance that most surely exists.
Posted By: Davelefty Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Good question asked earlier.............are Board members compensated?
Posted By: jdunham Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Following.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/22/24
Although I believe the case had some political motivations behind it based on the words of the New York Attorney General when she was running for office,

Gee, no $hit. What other reason would Letitia James bring on this suit?
Originally Posted by cra1948
Going to follow this thread. My plan, at this point, is to vote yes on the bylaw change, vote for all non-incumbent candidates and pick and choose among what’s left. I will be especially predisposed against supporting candidates with big name recognition, long history on this board and membership on a bunch of other boards as well.

Interested in the thoughts of others. Would be nice if we could keep it to how we plan to vote and our rationale for doing so and avoid all the rants about “They’re not getting another nickel from me…I’m supporting GOA…” etc, etc. We’ve heard all that for a few years now, everyone understands… would be nice if we could keep this thread focused on this election, who, why… (I realize that’s asking a lot.)

If you vote for any candidates beyond the ones you know you want on the board, you are diluting your votes for (i.e., voting against) your preferred candidates.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
You don't have to vote for 25. Just not more than 25.

There has to be something in board members favor other than merely bragging rights.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Hey I got a Ballot addressed to Hastings just last week...
Three actually and someone had already Written-in Wayne.....
Posted By: kennyd Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Gun talk had Knox on. He recommended voting for the 4 only. The c others there is no way to know except the short aubiograohy which us mostly fluff.
Any input is welcome.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Tag
Posted By: cra1948 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Probably a good idea to vote only for the four, plus write ins for any good names that pop up in the shooting/ firearms world in the next month or so.
Posted By: Redneck Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
I voted for just two... NRA needs to thin the board ranks by about 3/4...
Posted By: Hastings Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by Redneck
I voted for just two... NRA needs to thin the board ranks by about 3/4...
Might be a good idea to hold off voting for a while. We have until late April to vote. The New York trial verdict isn't in yet. And we need some commitments from candidates to vote out Wayne's hand picked successor CEO Mr. Andrew Arulanandam. Mr. Arulanandam has been Wayne's most vocal and loyal supporter next to Carolyn Meadows.

The New York decision could be very harsh on the NRA as it is presently constituted.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Agree. I'm waiting to see where the flying crap sticks.
Posted By: jpr9954 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
There are four reform candidates and all four are on the ballot by petition.

They are Jeff Knox, Judge Phil Journey, Roscoe "Rocky" Marshall, and Dennis Fusaro.

The powers that be were so threatened by these four getting on the ballot that they had to pad it after they made it. They included former NRA President Carolyn Meadows who is so sick she could not testify in the New York trial either in person or virtually. The other is Greer Johnson who seems to be a friend of Meadows and whose major claim to fame was to be the mistress of former NY Yankee great Mickey Mantle.

Last Days of Mickey Mantle

The only existing members of the board on the ballot who have challenged the status quo are Buz Mills who owns Gunsite Academy and Rick Ector out of Detroit.
Posted By: jpr9954 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
I ran into Chris Cox, former head of the NRA-ILA, at the SCI Convention. We chatted about the NY trial. His take on what is needed is that the existing board be dissolved, the size of the board reduced by 2/3rds, and that anyone who had served on the Audit, Finance, Ethics, or Nominations Committee be permanently banned from ever serving on the Board.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by dale06
Following.
I was wondering the same thing. What's the pay scale for kissing Wayne's azz, and doing his bidding without question?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by jpr9954
I ran into Chris Cox, former head of the NRA-ILA, at the SCI Convention. We chatted about the NY trial. His take on what is needed is that the existing board be dissolved, the size of the board reduced by 2/3rds, and that anyone who had served on the Audit, Finance, Ethics, or Nominations Committee be permanently banned from ever serving on the Board.

I definitely agree. And bear in mind that they have staggered terms. The 34 up now only represent about 1/3 of the board.. I've been on 501(c)3 boards and a board that size is impossible. A small cadre of paid officers end up co-opting the board.

But right now about all I can do is vote for the four that Knox recommended.
Posted By: Glynn Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
I don't know Phil Journey personally although as a Judge he married my new wife and I in November. He is well known around here for his NRA involvement and presence at gun shows.

You can do a search on his NRA BOD's work. He was the one who called for an independent review of the bankruptcy. He is considered an honest and blunt advocate and I would trust his judgement.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
To a certain extent you are correct. Four board members out 76 cannot outvote the other 72 but maybe 4 loud mouthed malcontents can expose the wrong doing that goes on in secret executive sessions and steadily beat the drum of reform and most importantly embarrass the hell out of the rats running the show with the exposure of their misfeasance.

They sure as heck CAN make a difference. No matter what you think of them look what Matt Gates and MTG have done in congress. I'll be following...
Posted By: Redneck Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/23/24
Good idea... I should have said, to be accurate, that I've marked the ballot for two and have it ready to send... But I'll wait for now..
Posted By: abbydog Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/24/24
Wayne found guilty. The board of directors missed the boat on this one. In 2019 Ollie North wanted an audit and he was shut down and ousted. time for a new board.
Posted By: kennyd Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/24/24
My short list gleaned from comments here
Ectoor. Fysaro. Journey. Knox. Marshall. Mills
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/24/24
https://billingsgazette.com/news/na...a659659-1bf8-521b-b368-a66d414f9701.html

Found Guilty..
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/24/24
Petition first, just those to begin, then real careful scrutiny for maybe one or two of the "nominees." Gunsite's guy, for example.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/24/24
Let's organize ourselves a CAMPFIRE SLATE for NEXT BOARD ELECTION.
We can connect with each other, handle each other's petitions, or get them in good hands, a big deal given the numbers needed. Legal petitions can't be denied by the NC or BOD.
Just imagine ---

SHRAP.

ROCKY.

Furball? Seafire?

Chris Cox?

Ollie?

Not Buzz H, tho. Snrk.

We KNOW that the board will not be transparent with us, we will NEVER read the honest story in American Rifleman Special Members Issue. I read WLP's farewell column and it's SO lame, exactly what we'd expect from a well-dressed lowlife. So come on, gang ---- CAMPFIRE SLATE FOR NRA 2025!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/25/24
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Let's organize ourselves a CAMPFIRE SLATE for NEXT BOARD ELECTION.
We can connect with each other, handle each other's petitions, or get them in good hands, a big deal given the numbers needed. Legal petitions can't be denied by the NC or BOD.
Just imagine ---

SHRAP.

ROCKY.

Furball? Seafire?

Chris Cox?

Ollie?

Not Buzz H, tho. Snrk.

We KNOW that the board will not be transparent with us, we will NEVER read the honest story in American Rifleman Special Members Issue. I read WLP's farewell column and it's SO lame, exactly what we'd expect from a well-dressed lowlife. So come on, gang ---- CAMPFIRE SLATE FOR NRA 2025!

I had been having thoughts along this line as well. Random thoughts running through my mind as to what such an undertaking would require/look like:
1. we need smart people who are able to devote some time to this;
2. it's necessary that they have the personal financial means and the time to pursue this;
3, it might be beneficial to have some with a degree of name recognition in the shooting/firearms community, but need to be sure they're not self-interested prima donnas or we'd soon be heading right back to the place we want to leave;
4. we'd need someone with the skills and knowledge base to drive a digital media presence, move this into other forums, facebook groups whatever.

Again, just random thoughts on my part, I don't claim to know a whole lot about running an initiative like this, but I think that we have, among the membership here, people who do have the skills and resources to move this along.

Any other thoughts?
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/26/24
Ronnie Barrett. Anyone know why not? He refused to sell to California over the 2nd amendment.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/27/24
TAG
Posted By: stevelyn Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/27/24
"NONE OF THE ABOVE" in bold, black Sharpie across the ballot and mailed back.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: NRA BALLOT ARRIVED - 02/27/24
So you gave the cost of postage to USPS and sent no message to the board.
© 24hourcampfire