Home
Posted By: Irving_D The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24

Never heard of such a beast
Posted By: earlybrd Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
No thinks 🤯
Posted By: ol_mike Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
That thing is a beast ...

What is the finish/process on the action called?
Posted By: UltraMAGA Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by ol_mike
That thing is a beast ...

What is the finish/process on the action called?

case hardening

looks like a dandy suppressor host
Thanks UltraMAGA.

That thing is the ultimate 'grizzly country' firearm.
70-150 Experimental Cartridge.

Never proven in an Original Winchester model 1887 shotgun. This re production based off a 12 Gauge shell is interesting to me as I wouldn't shoot it!

HS 58
Posted By: Viper225 Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
It is very Nice. My guess would be very expensive to buy, as well as expensive to feed. Recoil is going to be interesting as well.

Bob R
Posted By: JMR40 Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
I'd pass. But it is interesting.
laugh Heck yeah!
Posted By: asheepdog Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Makes me feel kinda anemic with just my 45-70. Quite the lever rifle but not for me. Couldn't afford to load for it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
The Winchester 1887 is not a Rifle it is a shotgun of JM Browning design.

The Winchester 1887 was made in 10ga & 12ga.

It is a joy to shoot!
Posted By: rost495 Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Thanks UltraMAGA.

Very far from what I would want to carry as a guide in bear country......
Originally Posted by rost495
Thanks UltraMAGA.

I was just 'talking out of my ass' <- that's a funny saying. smile

rost495 - I bought two sets of silk thermal underwear that I've heard you recommend. You are right- it's amazing how comfortable they keep me in varying temperatures. Thx..
Posted By: navlav8r Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Thanks UltraMAGA.

If you miss the bear, you can hide behind the smoke screen. 😁
Posted By: rainshot Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
I think that was the shotgun the character “Shorty” used in the movie “Monty Walsh”.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
The extent to which western movies continue to influence firearm choices is pretty wild.

For my generation and even more so for zoomers, it is video games.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Why not just use a M-79 grenade launcher? Less recoil and more portable. Parts available from Sarco. Bloop!
Posted By: rost495 Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Thanks UltraMAGA.

I was just 'talking out of my ass' <- that's a funny saying. smile

rost495 - I bought two sets of silk thermal underwear that I've heard you recommend. You are right- it's amazing how comfortable they keep me in varying temperatures. Thx..
I still use silk quite often.
Thanks UltraMAGA.

I agree.

While a fun toy and interesting experiment, it is not for me. But the flip side is that it is good to see people experimenting, and always nice to see a project work out for someone. It would be funny to use it on jackrabbits using #6 shot.
Posted By: MAC Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
The ultimate brush gun is a big bore double and not a lever gun
Posted By: Irving_D Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by MAC
The ultimate brush gun is a big bore double and not a lever gun

I was referring more to northeast hunting where the typical brush gun is a lever action short barreled rifle
Originally Posted by 12344mag

It is a joy to shoot!

The Family has one in 10ga. Not nearly in that good of condition - probably hasn't been fired since the 1930s. I'm not sure I'd even want to try.....Dang thing is a BEAST.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Thanks UltraMAGA.

LOL

You ain’t left the yard in 3 years🤣
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
I wouldn’t be surprised if Shrapnel had at least one.
Posted By: RAM Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Your skinnin' Griz with a 12 ga.? Better go with something from this Century. And I don't mean a 1910
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

It is a joy to shoot!

The Family has one in 10ga. Not nearly in that good of condition - probably hasn't been fired since the 1930s. I'm not sure I'd even want to try.....Dang thing is a BEAST.

The one this guy had was a modern manufactured Chiappa Firearms copy. there is a big cult for this gun where competitions are held and only Winchester 1887's are allowed to be used.

Mine is a 12ga, was bought new by my great grandfather in 1894, when it was handed to me it had not been shot since 1930 or so, I did the research and created some loads for it. It's a joy to shoot, I just hate cleaning it!

Lol, at first my uncle was horrified that I was going to shoot such an unsafe gun but after watching me shoot it he tried it and thought it was pretty damn cool he got to shoot his grandfathers gun.

All you have to do is check it out to see if it's safe to shoot if you don't have the knowledge to determine that take it to a competent gunsmith who knows old weapons and ask him to take a look at it. then do some research, create some loads and have a ball shooting it!

Keep in mind you have to make your own loads, this gun is a black powder gun only and will self destruct with modern loads.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Thanks UltraMAGA.

LOL

You ain’t left the yard in 3 years🤣

jackasss
Posted By: Sako Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Pretty neat... but i do think I would prefer a better recoil pad than a piece of metal on a 70-150
Posted By: navlav8r Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
With every shot you’re 3’ farther from the bear…😊
Posted By: Papag Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
87 was 12 ga, 01 was 10.
Posted By: Teeder Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
No thanks!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Looks like a Martini action.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Looks like a Martini action.

It pretty much is with a mag tube underneath.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/26/24
The 2 most dangerous objects to put together, gunpowder and a camera...
Posted By: reivertom Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/27/24
Three's such a thing as "too much of a good thing". This would be in that category. There's a reason that Winchester didn't market them hard.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/27/24
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

It is a joy to shoot!

The one this guy had was a modern manufactured Chiappa Firearms copy. there is a big cult for this gun where competitions are held and only Winchester 1887's are allowed to be used.

Mine is a 12ga, was bought new by my great grandfather in 1894, when it was handed to me it had not been shot since 1930 or so, I did the research and created some loads for it. It's a joy to shoot, I just hate cleaning it!

Lol, at first my uncle was horrified that I was going to shoot such an unsafe gun but after watching me shoot it he tried it and thought it was pretty damn cool he got to shoot his grandfathers gun.

All you have to do is check it out to see if it's safe to shoot if you don't have the knowledge to determine that take it to a competent gunsmith who knows old weapons and ask him to take a look at it. then do some research, create some loads and have a ball shooting it!

Keep in mind you have to make your own loads, this gun is a black powder gun only and will self destruct with modern loads.

I shot Paul’s gun, it was pretty neat .
Posted By: gunchamp Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/27/24
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Never heard of such a beast
I kinda want this lol. Ive shot alot of badass guns over the years. Never have even handled one of these
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
Watching that literally gave me twinges in my shoulder, where that "sweet spot" is. lol
Posted By: tikkanut Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
Jeez

A 300 gr slug from a 45 Colt is plenty up close
Posted By: flintlocke Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
Going back to the title of this thread...if by brush gun you mean a cartridge that shoots through intervening branches, limbs, twigs etc with a minimum of deflection...big heavy slow bullets are losers.
Back in the days when the American Rifleman actually had stuff about guns, loading and actual tests...a couple nationally respected writers and shooters, I'm thinking Ken Waters may have been one of the culprits, decided to validate the term, brush buster once and for all. So they took a nice broad selection of commonly used eastern cartridges and some outliers and proceeded to shoot through 1/8" veneer placed at various angles to the line of bullet travel onto a standard target behind the veneer.
Contrary to their expectations, big heavy slow bullets deflected more than fast smaller bullets. I don't recall all the details, but the clear winners by a huge margin were cartridges like the .22-250, and .243...fast movers anyway. Unfortunately they didn't include any magnum velocity cartridges in any diameter..so we don't really know if resistance to deflection is a velocity driven factor...or cross sectional area factor or both.
Posted By: saddlering Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
I had the 1901 10gage, I bought some brass shells and reloaded, with black powder! It was fun to shoot, and recoil wasn't to bad, but was a pain to reload the shells, had to glue a card wad over the shot, and let them dry. Cleaning was a chore also. But it was FUN for awhile!
Posted By: Irving_D Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
Is this the same model gun Arnold used in Terminator
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: The ultimate brush gun - 02/28/24
Steel butt plate and no pad. The 12 gauge h&r single shot I had when I was 12 was bad enough. I didn't have a pad on it it it was light but I used 3" mag xx mag lead shot fir geese back then. I saw that gun literally knock my friend Brian to the ground one day when we were goose hunting. I can't believe I never put a pad on it but that would have taken away from my ammo and reloading funds. It would bruise you with 1 shot.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire