Home
Posted By: wabigoon Firewood - 03/03/24
Jake got some today[img]http://[/img][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Is that some kind of Oak?
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
That truck looks a little under-qualified for that load.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Maple.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Firewood, almost a year round endeavor to stay stalked up
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
You’ve never done much on a farm I’m guessing
Posted By: 160user Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
It looks like soft maple.
Wouldn’t it be more valuable as lumber?? Is there a cheaper tree to cut for firewood?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
I don't know.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
What kinda stove you got wabi?
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Wouldn’t it be more valuable as lumber?? Is there a cheaper tree to cut for firewood?

Soft maple does not have much value as lumber. Hard maple brings good dollars as it is used in cabinet making etc. Soft maple makes fair firewood here in PA but not as good as hardwoods like oak etc.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

Aint a log on that trailer worth a fuck for lumber.
We use a lot of Popular lumber for interior trim. Paint grade. Also for cabinets . Seems like soft maple wood be close to the same density. Where is Cashking when we need him?
We use a lot of Popular lumber for interior trim. Paint grade. Also for cabinets . Seems like soft maple wood be close to the same density. Where is Cashking when we need him?
What’s the most popular, brother Alan?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Yes. Cottonwood and burr oak. We have a pallet factory in southwest Iowa and that is their preferred wood. Soft maple burns hot but it burns quick. It takes a lot to get through a winter.

Up where Wabigon lives there is cotton wood and soft maple along the rivers and streams. But, most of the ground is covered with farm fields or cow pastures and wood is few and far between. Probably the best source is around an old farm house where wind breaks were planted years ago. Soft maple was planted because it would get big faster than pretty much any other trees. No one had air conditioning back then. They had shade trees instead.
kwg
Popla is softer wood ain’t wurthafuck for firewood
Thanks KWG! The price of lumber in Calif is very high. I built a large set of kitchen cabinets , paint grade, no particle board about 18 years ago and the materials were under a $1000. I’m guessing it’s 2&1/2 times that amount now.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by TRnCO

That's why I like a central heat furnace. Just flick the ol' thermostat switch and voila, pretty soon, warm as a bear cub sleeping right next to its mother. grin

L.W.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by TRnCO

It takes about 3 cords to get thru a Colorado winter here in Durango. I use to cut it up in the San Jaun National Forest. Now the wife & I just go over to a sawmill & get the scrap ends. Way easier & heats just as good.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Ah, thats bullshit. Wood burns. Dry it, it burns. Not hot enough, burn more. People get too caught up on 10-20% BTU difference. its wood, if you arent paying for it, who cares. Just burn it.

I'm swimming in ash, oak, and beech here, but I'll burn anything thats not a conifer or sycamore. Sycamore smells like ass.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Ah, thats bullshit. Wood burns. Dry it, it burns. Not hot enough, burn more. People get too caught up on 10-20% BTU difference. its wood, if you arent paying for it, who cares. Just burn it.

I'm swimming in ash, oak, and beech here, but I'll burn anything thats not a conifer or sycamore. Sycamore smells like ass.
He sure does.

Any Chestnut???? Makes nice lumber I’ve read.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

Cash is still reeling... from the ass whooping he took on knowing dick about wood.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

Chestnut? lol, no.

Lotta Ash.

Oak n locust for me mix n some maple👍
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Maple.

Looks like cottonwood to me.

I think you are a senile old fugg that knows dick... and runs his mouth like a latrine.
Posted By: readonly Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

WTF have you been for the last 100+ years?
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

You ain't never done a fuqking thing in your life, I'm guessing.

I got some Chyna chestnuts here n there American chestnuts bit tha dust along time ago
Originally Posted by readonly

That was pretty harsh...

But I don'ts mind.

I actually have 6" Chestnut, but it is blighted like all of dem.
Originally Posted by mirage243

You ain't never done a fuqking thing in your life, I'm guessing.
Your Mom count?
Posted By: WMR Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
OK, fess up Wabigoon. You really gonna cut, split and stack that load? I’m skeptical. 🤔
Posted By: Craigster Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

This.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Judging by the country in the pictures and the logs on the trailer. it could be Silver Maple.

Most likely cut down along a river or stream, in a town park or graveyard.
Originally Posted by readonly

I’ve read that an organization has been trying to get a blight resistant tree with some success. There is also folks reclaiming the old lumber.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
https://tacf.org/

The American Chestnut Foundation is here in Asheville. They are trying to restore the American chestnut tree. I found a big chestnut tree growing next to Sweetwater Road. I cut off a 10 inch branch that had green leaves on it. I took it down to the ACF office. They ran a DNA test on it, and found that this tree is Chinese and not American.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
https://tacf.org/

The American Chestnut Foundation is here in Asheville. They are trying to restore the American chestnut tree. I found a big chestnut tree growing next to Sweetwater Road. I cut off a 10 inch branch that had green leaves on it. I took it down to the ACF office. They ran a DNA test on it, and found that this tree is Chinese and not American.
There is a tree nursery here in PA that is pretty close to developing a blight resistant chestnut. Some have already been planted out and about. Most of the old barns around here have chestnut beams in them
Posted By: KirkJ Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Nice trailer. Nice load of wood
I don't mess with poplar, not enough BTU per cord. Oak is almost twice as good. There is only so much room in my woodpiles, why take up space with mediocre wood.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Firewood - 03/04/24

Brd, Poplar wont hold up to nice oak for heating, but it actually makes a really nice campfire wood. Easy to split, easy to light, and doesn't smoke like some of the other woods when you're sitting around a campfire. You get plenty of heat out of it, just not the BTU's of oak for heating. I got 3 big tops up back of my house I'm gonna cut up and put back for campfire wood this summer.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
I was thinking the same thing...

Yeah, many farmers (and others) run overloaded at times.. That doesn't make it safe, or legal.. If that rig was seen on the roads around here I'm guessing the state patrol officer who pulled it over for a weight check would be writing quite a hefty ticket fine..
Posted By: Teal Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Brd, Poplar wont hold up to nice oak for heating, but it actually makes a really nice campfire wood. Easy to split, easy to light, and doesn't smoke like some of the other woods when you're sitting around a campfire. You get plenty of heat out of it, just not the BTU's of oak for heating. I got 3 big tops up back of my house I'm gonna cut up and put back for campfire wood this summer.

It's mid-October, the last thing I want is a 5 alarm fire, I just need some heat to take the chill out overnight/am. Popple works. Save the maple for November...
I got a schit ton of ash down does ok
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Couldn’t give me soft maple to burn. Doesn’t burn good, lots of ashes too much work and handling for little heat
Give me green locust all day long
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
I miss cutting black oak and big cedars !
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 673 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by kenster99
I miss cutting black oak and big cedars !
Nice tree!
Originally Posted by WMR
OK, fess up Wabigoon. You really gonna cut, split and stack that load? I’m skeptical. 🤔

Hell no, lol.

He'll sure as shit watch the work though. And help himself to the stack.
Posted By: 673 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
The best we have around here, Douglas Fir.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by 99guy
Judging by the country in the pictures and the logs on the trailer. it could be Silver Maple.

This ^^

If anyone is interested, I have a $hit ton of ash trees that have been bit by the emerald ash borer. I want it gone. If you are anywhere close to Iowa and have a heavy trailer I can point you in the right direction to the bottom ground.

kwg
I have been burning ash all winter. Very good firewood, not as many BTUs as oak but close. Easy to split. The emerald ash borer killed all my ash trees.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 99guy

This ^^

If anyone is interested, I have a $hit ton of ash trees that have been bit by the emerald ash borer. I want it gone. If you are anywhere close to Iowa and have a heavy trailer I can point you in the right direction to the bottom ground.

kwg

Hell yeah!! Free firewood and you can tote some EAB home with you as a bonus!
The EAB first came to notice in Minnesota in 2002. It is a bug from Asia, apparently some machines had been shipped from Asia in wooden crates, were unloaded off the boat in Duluth, and a Mommie and Daddy EAB had a nest in the wood of the crate.

The EAB was unknown previously in the US, but by 2016 it had made its way down here to the Blue Ridge mountains, and killed all my ash trees.

Some scientists say this bug will kill every ash tree in North America.
CHOW TIME

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
Rickerd and deere sweat freinds, i thinck we may have gotten took bye the wood man.

A country chord just delived and it is odd would.

Thoughs?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: ihookem Re: Firewood - 03/04/24
The front looks like Silver Maple and the back logs look like Ash. Now, if I'm wrong, who cares. One thing I know about firewood. You have to get it for free , or it is not worth your time. I get it from a tree service , but I have to be working close by or it is $17 of deisel fuel to run there and back. Then cut it split, stack and wait a year . Nat. gas is still very reasonable and not worth my time , but I do it cause I have a gassifier wood boiler and the hydronic heat can't be beat. As for popple, planted 700 on my 3 ac. They grew 6' a yr. and then quit. Most are dead . However, they are 50 yds. from my wood boiler and cause of the hybrid popplar , I dont touch my hardwood till mid November.. I paid 10 cents each for them. They are a nice looking tree but dead in 15 yrs.
© 24hourcampfire