Home
Posted By: mtcurman Old diesels - 03/06/24
Let’s see some minty old diesel burners…

Here’s my current one, 1992 W250 6BT 5 speed. Just finished up a Move heritage bumper for it, burned it together with 7018, do not recommend stick welding a bumper if you’re in a time crunch lol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ben
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Classy Ben!

Give me a minute to walk over to my pride and joy...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
my '99

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Not a show truck like Don's and no brands on this one, she's a slick....lol

The beautiful 2003.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by huntsman22
my '99

Fancy!

Looks like Huggy Bear would be sellin’ produce out the back!

I’ve been wanting and older square body Chevy, single cab, short bed dually. It’d just be a play toy. Haul a boat, camper and what not.

Nice trucks fellas.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
I love older cars and trucks: no monthly payments, cheaper tags, love messing over the dealerships. In most instances they ride as good or better than a new one. Neighbor down the road had a year old Ford F150. Something went wrong with the transmission. It took over 6 months to get the part in to fix. He bought a Toyota and is in the process of selling the Ford.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Don and Sam, that’s one of my favorite Ford body styles. I had a 95 7.3 crew cab I sold to buy the shipping crate, loved that truck but with as much road burning as I’ve been doing the 4.10’s it had absolutely sucked. Really liked fuel..
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Cool, never had a Diesel pickup.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not a show truck like Don's and no brands on this one, she's a slick....lol

The beautiful 2003.

Dude....he said "old".
Like this one.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
93 F250 Turbo.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
WHAT??? No pix of the venerable 5.7L GM diesel in pickups and a couple sedans??? laugh laugh

GM nearly killed the entire diesel market with that pos...
What do you think of that Bumper Ben?
Posted By: horse1 Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Redneck
WHAT??? No pix of the venerable 5.7L GM diesel in pickups and a couple sedans??? laugh laugh

Uncle had one of those in a full-size GM station wagon. I don't recall if it was a Chevy, Olds, or Buick though.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Got into diesels with a ‘90 Dodge/Cummins, sold that for a ‘93 7.3 n/a, now pulling w an ‘11 Ford 6.7.
Posted By: mcadams17 Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
that dodge and that bumper are awesome!!
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
When it comes to diesels, what's considered old? With the cost of these trucks, if it's a runner, most folks hang onto them
Posted By: RickBin Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
When it comes to diesels, what's considered old? With the cost of these trucks, if it's a runner, most folks hang onto them

1. Yep on the runners!

2. Old is relative, but pre- and post-common-rail injection is a good place. Heck, pre-and post-DEF is pretty major too.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Like this one.
93 F250 Turbo.

Had a couple of those for work trucks. A 92 and a 96. That’s my absolute favorite Ford body style. They did a great job on the interior layout in those years too. Sold the 92 to buy my first house and the 96 finally blew the transmission in 2001 after 200k miles so it got traded in for a 01 GMC.

My current oil burner is an 06 Dodge. Probably not too old but it’s paid for. With the DEF, Emissions and cost; I probably won’t buy another diesel.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24

Had a 80's something oldsmobile with one of those in it. You'd about burn the glow plugs up getting it started if it was cold at all, smoked like a chimney until it warmed up some, and you needed a 3/4 mile run to pass someone going 50 on a 2 lane highway, but it got me to work for a couple years! Lol.
Posted By: Osky Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Like this one.
93 F250 Turbo.

Top shelf Jim! Man oh man the miles I’ve spent in those cabs….

Yea, tha bumper looks like a serious threat to anything in front of it, awesome.

Osky
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by MadMooner
my '99

Fancy!

I’ve been wanting and older square body Chevy, single cab, short bed dually. It’d just be a play toy. Haul a boat, camper and what not.

Nice trucks fellas.

No such animal unless you build it yourself. I’ve seen a few that people have done. My kid wants to do one with an LS engine.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
1966 Oliver with a Perkins 358 six banger. I put it to sleep the end of October and wake it up around the end of April. I keep a battery tender on it just in case we need it before that.

Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by RickBin

1. Yep on the runners!

2. Old is relative, but pre- and post-common-rail injection is a good place. Heck, pre-and post-DEF is pretty major too.
So ours is semi old. Rail system but no DEF.
Posted By: DHN Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by RickBin

1. Yep on the runners!

So ours is semi old. Rail system but no DEF.
Same here. It's 2012, I didn't consider it old, but I was able to get permanent plates.
5 minutes ago.
Posted By: 673 Re: Old diesels - 03/06/24
Like this one.
93 F250 Turbo.
Ain't no hippie gonna be in the way with a bumper like that!
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
5 minutes ago.

Great picture! A happy young man living the life. 👍👍
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Did they put the Detroit Diesel in any pickups?
I've seen them in farm tractors.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
5 minutes ago.

Gold cuzzin'!

We had a '92 F250 with a 460 and a regular flatbed. That was when we just started feeding round bales, finding a hill was the easiest way to unroll them. Didn't work very well on the river bottom....lol

That pickup was pretty much toast about 20 years ago and my dad traded it off on our first diesel.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24

When I drive my car, I'm always getting cut off by dumasses. I drive this thing and folks stay out of my way.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
OSHA would have a picnic with Wannabebwana's post.

I consider "old" being anything that does not have a computer on board.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by 1minute
OSHA would have a picnic with Wannabebwana's post.

I consider "old" being anything that does not have a computer on board.

I agree that's old but dang, no computer?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by MadMooner
my '99

Fancy!

Nice trucks fellas.

No such animal unless you build it yourself. I’ve seen a few that people have done. My kid wants to do one with an LS engine.

Wasn’t aware. Thought they had 2 different bed lengths.

LS would be fun.
So would a HT502 GM crate motor.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Some of them boys get that head diaper caught in machinery, sometimes it's a big mess.......
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
5 minutes ago.

Good stuff.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24

‘95 with the 6.5L
Posted By: reivertom Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
The new diesel trucks are too complicated and finicky compared to the older ones. I'd much rather have one of the older Dodges with the original Cummins they came out with.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
That’s a good looking Ferd Jim. I really like the move, I had one on my 7.3 also. They’re a fun easy welding project. Hold up good to deer…grin

I wish I’d have kept the CM bed when I sold it

Ben
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by kwg020
1966 Oliver with a Perkins 358 six banger. I put it to sleep the end of October and wake it up around the end of April. I keep a battery tender on it just in case we need it before that.

Boy that’s a beauty I love Olivers I’ll post a pic of my dad’s tomorrow. I’ve thought a Perkins swapped into a pickup would be really cool for a while now..
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Cool thread, Ben.
Posted By: 673 Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Hey 7.3, some guys are calling you old at 36, any comment?.......bwaaaaa, bwaaaaaa I still feel like the day I came off the lot.
With 500,000 km, (320,000miles) you are still in great shape, but you drink alot....bwaaaaha wahwah.
Posted By: las Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by reivertom
The new diesel trucks are too complicated and finicky compared to the older ones. I'd much rather have one of the older Dodges with the original Cummins they came out with.

I like my 2003 3500 club cab w Cummins. Wife hates it. Only 135K on it- lots of life yet. Body is in good shape too, despite the road salt up here.

She thinks spending $80K for a new or $60K for a 2 year old (and less reliable, IMO) truck (her preference is Ford) is way better than a few thou a year in repairs. I probably don't have much more than 5 years more driving myself, so....

Female thinking....
Posted By: Redneck Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Well, she might be right...
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by mtcurman

1950s style and class. smile

EMD F7 locomotive
Produced: February 1949 – December 1953
Engine type: Two-stroke V16 diesel
Displacement: 9,072 cu in
Power output: 1,500 hp
Loco weight: 247,300 lb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F7

Santa Fe promo film for the Super Chief passenger train set to the music of Count Basie & His Orchestra's song Super Chief.
Featuring the lovely actress Virginia Leith.

smile [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Did they put the Detroit Diesel in any pickups?
I've seen them in farm tractors.

Yes.

Copy and paste this phrase into your favorite search engine:

“Did they put the Detroit Diesel in any pickups?”
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Same pickup...next day.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Old diesels - 03/07/24
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by mtcurman

1950s style and class. smile

EMD F7 locomotive
Produced: February 1949 – December 1953
Engine type: Two-stroke V16 diesel
Displacement: 9,072 cu in
Power output: 1,500 hp
Loco weight: 247,300 lb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F7

Santa Fe promo film for the Super Chief passenger train set to the music of Count Basie & His Orchestra's song Super Chief.
Featuring the lovely actress Virginia Leith.

smile [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]

Wooo!

567 cubic inches of Detroit 2 Stroke power in each of the 16 jugs!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
Jim, I just got in from an afternoon pistol shoot as well, froze my ass a little in that breeze!

Slight sidetrack but this was in the cab of a diesel, more bougie chit...lol

Should note that the beer box was empty and I was gonna use it as a target. Safety first...

The bougie bag is pretty f'n handy, lots of room.

Posted By: SS336 Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
I’ll see your EMD F7 locomotive and raise you….

4 General Motors Model 16-278A V16 diesel engines. 😎😁

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
I do regret selling...

Posted By: Mohall57 Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
No pictures, my favorite: 2001 ford F-350 club can , 6 speed manual tranny, 8’ box, single rear axle, 7.3 power stroke with 110,000. Barely broken in. It will out live me.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Old diesels - 03/08/24
No pics as well, but dad literally drowned an old Mack years ago. Thing was running when it went into the river. After we rebuilt it, if you put the thing in just the right bind, it would choke down and start running backwards.

Put it in reverse and it would go forward, dump the clutch on 2nd gear and she would go backwards.

You would have to kill the engine and restart it and all was good.

Truck was a beast.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
‘93 7.3 idi non turbo. Still in service at 186,000

Posted By: gunzo Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
Hand cranks hurt people, electric starters need a problematic battery. Shotgun start is the way to go. But use a blank.

Posted By: Clarkm Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
My father designed mobile artillery, but did not get to choose the diesel engine. That contract was awarded based on what state the engine was made in. If you could have chosen, he would take Cummins.

My cousins replace their tug boat engines with giant Caterpillar engines.

Based on the sound they made in dump trucks dumping gravel in my driveway, I liked Detroit Diesel.

When I was a janitor at Kenworth, all diesel engines made a mess at full throttle on the dynamometer.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24

but the 6.2 version saved their ass 🙄🙄🙄

the 6.5 turbo was their first reasonable one and it was bad at twisting cranks...
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
My next 'old diesel' pickup will be a fummins
Posted By: roverboy Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Had a 80's something oldsmobile with one of those in it. You'd about burn the glow plugs up getting it started if it was cold at all, smoked like a chimney until it warmed up some, and you needed a 3/4 mile run to pass someone going 50 on a 2 lane highway, but it got me to work for a couple years! Lol.
You left out that they sounded like a handful of gravel in a steel can.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
Air Starters?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Old diesels - 03/09/24
99 F250 7.3 354000 miles

Posted By: gunzo Re: Old diesels - 03/10/24
Air Starters?

That's a ways back, glad they didn't catch on.

My dad drove a gasoline tanker, day trips, for decades & I'd go with him about once a year. While he was loading I'd walk around the terminal just looking at trucks n stuff. Just as I was walking right in front of a cab over truck the driver hit the air starter. What a quick hideous sound, a sudden burst of an air wrench, volume times 5 followed by a big diesel firing up. Never before or since in my 70 years have I been that startled. I was about 8 yo & it felt like in turned me inside out. Never forgot it.

Thought the driver had done something to scare me & when I told dad he explained what that vile apparatus was.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Old diesels - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
Air Starters?

My dad drove a gasoline tanker, day trips, for decades & I'd go with him about once a year. While he was loading I'd walk around the terminal just looking at trucks n stuff. Just as I was walking right in front of a cab over truck the driver hit the air starter. What a quick hideous sound, a sudden burst of an air wrench, volume times 5 followed by a big diesel firing up. Never before or since in my 70 years have I been that startled. I was about 8 yo & it felt like in turned me inside out. Never forgot it.

Thought the driver had done something to scare me & when I told dad he explained what that vile apparatus was.

Air starts don't bother me. Of course I'm used it on aircraft. I'm sure the sound is about the same for a truck. Must say, in 30 years working in the HE field, never seen or heard an air start on a truck. When did they stop using it?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Old diesels - 03/10/24
My first exposure to an air starter was about 1976 while working at the Exxon gas station. The transports all had them. It didn't scare me as I was fascinated by anything related to more power. I appreciated them the same as I celebrate a jet fighter in full afterburner.
Posted By: Ozarker Re: Old diesels - 03/10/24
2004 lb7 duramax. Farm truck and daily driver

Attached picture IMG_6625.jpeg
Posted By: gunzo Re: Old diesels - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
Air Starters?

Air starts don't bother me. Of course I'm used it on aircraft. I'm sure the sound is about the same for a truck. Must say, in 30 years working in the HE field, never seen or heard an air start on a truck. When did they stop using it?

First & last time I ever heard it. About 8 yo & 3 feet away. Yep, startled the hell out of me. Hell, must have been about 1960+. They never caught on I guess. Had it been further away or common, no thing.

Top fuel dragsters firing up about as haunting as it gets & represent about 12,000 HP, but beauty. Just as long as you're expecting it.
© 24hourcampfire