Home
$74.99 for a pound of one of the most common powders used and at a major retailer. Damn, not a good sign. May have to start shooting a wrist rocket so I can afford the ammo.
12 pk of can colas was $9 at the DG…
All part of the Democrats’ plan to undermine the 2nd Amendment by any means possible!
Thanks Joe Biden. Please print up a few more billion dollars for Israel and the Ukraine.
Fug that buy h4350 from a non gouger..mb oh yeah priced and steel sling shot balls lately?mb
A BB Gun is your friend.
I found some H4831 for $50
Cabelas is the same price here but H4350 is 10 bucks a lb cheaper.
Who buys a pound of anything? 8lbs at powder valley.
Well Mister, most of my cans say $3.99 from Roses
Originally Posted by Calvin
Lunchmeat?
Here’s PV’s ‘deals’ this week.
https://www.powdervalley.com/produc...Ye0mZmYdUdyGylZ-BF-U1doygFZbTxZj4.SeB582
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
WTF? Looks like they doubled prices, then cut by a small % and called it a "sale".
Local place,

IMR 7828 ssc > $61 ,, Varget $54 ...................

These are the good ole days
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well Mister, most of my cans say $3.99 from Roses

yeah back in 19&73 it was on sell for $2 at jerry coomers trapping supply i traded two possums for 4 pounds they was small possums
I have a pretty good stockpile @ <$50. I'm just pointing out that when the current stock runs out at your favorite retailer that your next pound of powder may run you close to $75. FJB
Interesting....very interesting.

Online,.. every price gouging piece of trash has primers and powder in stock.

The trash even offers "sale" prices on some of it.....that is just laughable.

Uh huh, that is interesting too, as that only recently started to happen

No limits on how much you can buy for the most part........because they need to sell it.

Yes, some is not in stock but it is showing up.

Its starting to stack up too, little by little.....even seen it here.

What is very obvious and evidenced by comments here and other forums is that not everyone is buying or buying only a really small amount.

Yes, again you have the one off here and there of semi big purchases.....not like it had been for the trash.

Bookkeeper for the trash can compare to past several years of the last 3 presidents........and sees a noticeable change and a trend that they have done to themselves.

Looking over the shoulder of the other trash and doing the same price gouging has and will keep hampering their sales.

The trash is not selling anywhere near what they were in the past.....even though its an election year.

Best
Heavy[b][/b]
I moved all of my guns out of the safe and inserted the reloading components.
Saw something on 5744 the other day while reading, thought I'd look into the price as it seems a useful one.

+/- $70 per pound most places I looked.

When 4227 was up over $45 I was shocked, haven't looked lately, maybe I shouldn't.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Local place,

IMR 7828 ssc > $61 ,, Varget $54 ...................

These are the good ole days

I'm still getting Varget at $49....at least I was last week.

Local guy is good to me on pricing.

But yeah, the good ol' days. Live it up while ya can.
I think there is a lot of plain old retail gouging going on. Here in the Northwest we have an employee owned store chain called BiMart, historically their sporting goods dept have been the low price leader in mass market guns, ammo and reloading. In December, I bought a pound of 4064 and a pound of BLC-2, each was in the low 30's...I wanna say 33 bucks. These big retailers like Sportsmens Whse, IMO, are just flatass gouging us.
Bi Mart is where I first saw +$45 4227, the other powders were in the $35 range.

Didn't even look when I was there last week as their supply and variety seems to be getting lower and lower every trip I manage to get up there.
Ya think,that's Criminal,friggen thieves!
IMR 4350 $74.99 at Cabela's in Allen Tx last weekend.

H4350 was $69.99
I've made a few comments and other threads about the prices coming up now they're here.
and I do believe the 4350 varieties were the high point of the prices.. I've got some 3031 coming in and they were going to be $60 a pound.. other places where are listed at like 64 or 5.
my wholesaler does pretty good. they warned me a little while back that the 4350s one variety was going to be 59 and one variety69 a pound on their prices
Some powder here is 75 a pound.
Any RE15 sightings?
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Any RE15 sightings?
https://www.powdervalley.com/product/alliant-reloder-15/?attribute_pa_size=5
Just this week a friend gave me a pound of IMR 4350, guess I owe him a steak dinner.
Have they EVER been cheep?
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Just this week a friend gave me a pound of IMR 4350, guess I owe him a steak dinner.
Dadgummit the hoarders!
Reloading industry is essentially a monopoly. Remember that when you read Hodgepodge’s mission statement next time.

Hoarder. That's wrong.
its just plain old price gouging.

Trump is in for the Repubs. So what that means is that the price gouging trash is going all out to the most of it.

Its all just greed.

Best
Heavy
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Reloading industry is essentially a monopoly. Remember that when you read Hodgepodge’s mission statement next time.
Really? So how does Hodgdon control VV or Alliant or Shooter's World? Not saying that these 'new' prices don't suck, but I wouldn't place much blame on Hodgdon. Remember, they don't make powder they just buy it from other companies.
Originally Posted by HeavyDove

Trump is in for the Repubs. So what that means is that the price gouging trash is going all out to the most of it.

Its all just greed.

Best
Heavy
Some greed, but a lot of the problem involves Ukraine and Gaza. It seems most of the raw ingredients for powder are going to fill artillery shell orders. China is the primary source of gun cotton and has diverted supplies to Russia.

Its all just greed.

Best
Heavy

Lol - no. Maybe if powder and supplies were the only thing going up. Where have you been the last 3 years on inflation and other economic success stories of the Biden administration?

ALL aspects of making these things have gotten more expensive. All regulations for making these things have increased and compliance is more expensive.

DEMAND is up and this is still a free-ish market economy.

It's not gouging selling items to willing buyers at fair market prices, especially when input costs have shot WAY up and only now are starting to come down but yet still well above 2020 pricing. That was 4 years ago....
Trash middlemen, so called distributors have a hand in this up their elbows.

Any of the trash between the factory and the shelf have gouged.

We have all heard every stupid excuse for these powder and primers price increases.

These increases will jump in many cases from one month to the next.

And oh my god, this super tuesday crap just finished and looky here.............prices go up.

its just laughable.

Best
Heavy
I think about a statement that was made right here in this thread. something along the lines of 4350 is one of the most popular powders. I agree it is. but it is also been one of the hardest to come by powders for several years now. so why would they not charge more for a high demand item than I would have lower demand item..
it's called capitalism. same guys bitching about the price of it or probably some of the same guys stood in line forever at different places to buy primers to resell it a profit..
I boxed-up all of my reloading do'ins quite a while back, I'm not a 'shooting addict'. As long as folks pay the high prices they'll keep going higher.
Just like the $100K pick-up trucks.
Ain't no PlayYow
Teal

I have been just watching and listening.

Do you support any of these high prices?
fair market prices and willing buyers
Trash middlemen, so called distributors have a hand in this up their elbows.

Any of the trash between the factory and the shelf have gouged.

We have all heard every stupid excuse for these powder and primers price increases.

These increases will jump in many cases from one month to the next.

And oh my god, this super tuesday crap just finished and looky here.............prices go up.

its just laughable.

Best
Heavy

So tell us - what's an appropriate margin for the retailer to make Mr. Marx?
Teal

I have been just watching and listening.

Do you support any of these high prices?
fair market prices and willing buyers

I understand the COST to make goes up so the COST to buy goes up. I buy what I can/want, when I can/want.
interesting response teal
interesting response teal

Yeah - one born of reality.
It’s not like it’s a surprise with the state of affairs as they are. I’m glad I’ll never have to buy again other than some certain bullets.
Teal,
Appropriate margins are your problem not anyone else's.

Nor do they have to be.

"fair market prices" ..........." willing to pay".............hilarious.

Best
Heavy
Teal,
Appropriate margins are your problem not anyone else's.

Nor do they have to be.

"fair market prices" ..........." willing to pay".............hilarious.

Best
Heavy

Lol - End Margin is paid by the consumer, no one else. MFG makes margin selling to middle guy, middle guy makes it selling to you and as that changes, shelf price changes. I'll make it easy for you -

As input cost goes up - to maintain the margin means shelf price goes up. That's basic econ/supply chain. It costs 10 dollars, I'm at 15% margin so shelf price is $11.50, If cost goes to 20, shelf price 23. That's not gouging but holding the margin.

Notice that they're selling the powder? People are willing to pay and it's sold out shortly. That's the fair market price. The market works.

If you wanna be a communist and believe there should be market influence by something other than that - go ahead but don't drag the rest of us down into that idiocy.
Teal,
communism which is horrible by the way, has nothing to do with it.

GREED does, and that is what is at work here.

I call it greed.

You call it "paid by the consumer".

I and many thousands look and see what is happening and don't feel like helping someone help keep their lifestyle afloat or their next boat payment. .....or keep their profit margin fat.

Best
Heavy
Pretty much any in stock IMR Powder is $75. Bidenomics.
https://www.sportsmans.com/search/?text=imr+powder
Teal,

I call it greed.

I and many thousands look and see what is happening and don't feel like helping someone help keep their lifestyle afloat or their next boat payment. .....or keep their profit margin fat.

Best
Heavy

Got it - not greedy for you to get things super cheap, even if it means the seller takes a loss but totally greedy for the retailer to cover their costs which have skyrocketed due to a host of reasons.
I have posted in a different forum, Four 1# IMR4350, same lot#, $55 per bottle. VERY recent purchase.

If anyone is going through Denver......
Teal,

I call it greed.

Best
Heavy

Well, if you can persuade every one to just stop buying powder for a couple of years, I'm sure the price will come down.
Higher prices on everything is a direct result of a stolen election. Hug a Covtard. No more mean tweets!
I just got back from Scheels, IMR 4350 is 48.99 for a 1 lb. jug
Sportsmans also wants $60 for 50 Accubonds

They can keep them
Powder costs what it costs. None of us are going to change that. I picked up 4, 8 pound jugs in the last 2 months. No sense waiting to buy it. It was in stock when I needed to buy it so I just swallowed my pride and bought it.
Would rather have enough sitting on my shelf instead of always wondering if I can find any when I run out. It’s the cost of doing business in the reloading business.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Sportsmans also wants $60 for 50 Accubonds

They can keep them
😵‍💫
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Really? So how does Hodgdon control VV or Alliant or Shooter's World? Not saying that these 'new' prices don't suck, but I wouldn't place much blame on Hodgdon. Remember, they don't make powder they just buy it from other companies.

Let’s look at this.

VV has always been high as a giraffe’s arse, and has no real volume in the market. It’s a niche player at best. Like Norma. Sure, it’s been seen in the wild twice, and the Ivory Woodpecker only once, but it’s still functionally extinct……

Shooter’s World? Who? Can I go to my local golf, fish and gun emporium and buy “Shooter’s World” in a wide variety of options? A niche player fighting for scraps in the dark corners of the market.

So, that leaves Alliant and Hodgdon as the only real players, and Hodgdon is a major distributor for Alliant.

In the best case, the market is a functional duopoly, but it is as close to a monopoly as you can imagine.
Originally Posted by centershot
$74.99 for a pound of one of the most common powders used and at a major retailer. Damn, not a good sign. May have to start shooting a wrist rocket so I can afford the ammo.
It used to be my favorite .30-06 powder, till I ran out. I guess I'll just use IMR 4895 or something else. Hmmmmm.
I actually see a lot of VV in Wisconsin. Especially at Scheel's lately.
It was widely broadcasted that a jump in powder prices was coming. Also gave the reasons.
I call it Boy Scouts motto; STAYING PREPARED!

You boys ain't learned a damn thing these past forty years!!
It was widely broadcasted that a jump in powder prices was coming. Also gave the reasons.

In a competing market, that knowledge would have prompted producers to add capacity to take as much advantage of the attractive prices as possible and secure market share.
I just bought H4350 for 329.00/8 pounds. About 41 a pound.
I might sell a Varget jug and buy more 4350. Seems to shoot better for me in a 260. I imagine powder will increase as the dollar weakens.
Originally Posted by Teal
...but IMR is a totally different Powder
2018 I bought 8 pounds of Re23 for $190 +$36 shipping from midway.
Today that would cost $480 + shipping.
[$480/$190]^-6 years = 1.167 -> 16.7% interest compounded annually.

2017 I paid $25/pound + shipping for CFE223
Today that would cost $50/pound + shipping
[$50/$25]^-7 years = 1.104 -> 10.4% interest compounded annually.

2014 I bought 8 pounds H4350 $176 + shipping
Today that would cost $370 + shipping
[$370/$176]^-10 = 1.077 -> 7.7% interest compounded annually.

The S&P 500 over the last 100 years has returned 10.5%
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Teal
...but IMR is a totally different Powder

I know that, but it's fairly comparable in the fact that they can often be used in similar cartridges. If the price of IMR was putting me onto bread and water, the alternative 10 bucks cheaper is a way to create an alternative with a powder that's not the same but often characterized as "more temp sensitive, same burn rate but not a 1:1 replacement - work up new".
Just stopped in at a LGS, everything there is prices from the last jacked up price, when new stuff comes in it will be higher. Pistol and shotgun powders were pretty cheap. Cheapest rifle powder was CFE 223 @ $37 a lb. IMR 3031 was $42. IMR 4350, H4350, and Varget were $50. Some others like IMR 4227, 4198 were in the high $40's.

Its all just greed.

Best
Heavy
Are you a public employee of a Union member
We are talking Australian powders right? Time to find a Ball powder alternative for now.

WW760/H-414
WTF does a friend gifting me a pound of powder have to do with hoarding ? I'm not seeing the connection.
The only real way to buy powder/primers these days

Online....split the order with buds (if you have any)

Haz mat & shipping suck

Make an order for more than you need/want

Actually just bought some H4350 & RE15 from a buddy......$38/pound

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/hodgdon-h4350/

Paid waaaay less than $79/lb
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Laffin
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Paid waaaay less than $79/lb
Laffin

Atta boy !

Fuggin' A
Originally Posted by richj
We are talking Australian powders right? Time to find a Ball powder alternative for now.

WW760/H-414
I have focused on Ball Powders for quite some time.

Hunter
BigGame
Tac
2230/Xterminator
True Blue
Silhouette
Magnum
MagPro
CFE BLK
Etc
I paid 69.99 + tax for a pound or Reloder 16 last week. My friend who manages the gun department told me to buy any powder I needed now. 15% increase on his pallet in the back. I also got 8 lb of Reloder 26 for $449. A feller was grumbling at the counter and said he was going back to factory ammo. My bud told him “Hold my beer, and watch it next week” Also advised him to buy now as big price increases were coming. All of Hodgdons crap is overpriced too. It ain’t going to end, folks!
As in SP primers now....available

Shipped/no haz mat

https://normausa.com/product/blowout/primers-b/small-pistol-primers-made-in-argentina/
Originally Posted by WAM
I paid 69.99 + tax for a pound or Reloder 16 last week. My friend who manages the gun department told me to buy any powder I needed now. 15% increase on his pallet in the back. I also got 8 lb of Reloder 26 for $449. A feller was grumbling at the counter and said he was going back to factory ammo. My bud told him “Hold my beer, and watch it next week” Also advised him to buy now as big price increases were coming. All of Hodgdons crap is overpriced too. It ain’t going to end, folks!

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/alliant-reloder-16/
WTF does a friend gifting me a pound of powder have to do with hoarding ? I'm not seeing the connection.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by WAM

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/alliant-reloder-16/
I think adding shipping and hazmat makes PV a tad more expensive.

At any rate, I have enough powder to leave some for the estate sale. I didn’t “need” the RL 16 or 26 really. I just didn’t want to work up loads for a different powder.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

TURTLE MAN DOWN!😂😂😂
Wait till more conflict breaks out. Its going to get crazy. I've good to do the little hunting I get to do fortunately. The days of affordable anything are gone. Maybe the only truly affordable way to go is going to something like an 45-70 single shot and making your own holy black.
p the funny part is people go bragging about having their powder on hand for cheaper. and it all depends on where the cycle falls just like primers

but then again people stock up more [bleep] than whatever using their lifetime and their kids will sell it for dimes on dollars in the garage sale

don't love the people that buy [bleep] and don't use it it's pretty awesome that's how I stack up a lot of it 10 cents on the dollar
Dreaming perhaps but I'm buying gunpowder now for when I'm old and on a fixed income. Prepare yourself when you can.
It’s $74.99 at BPS online as well. Went in the BPS last Friday and saw it marked for $49.99 a pound. I grabbed a pound as I already knew the online price. I grabbed some ammo as well. I checked out and went to the car. I saw I was only charged $29.99 for the IMR4350. Went and bought groceries and went back to BPS and grabbed two more pounds and a pound of H4831SC for $37. Sometimes you get lucky.
Originally Posted by ldholton
don't love the people that buy [bleep] and don't use it it's pretty awesome that's how I stack up a lot of it 10 cents on the dollar

Please enlighten us how you find and buy powder for 10 cents on the dollar. That would mean you are buying 1 pound containers for $4-7 each and 8 pound jugs for $30-45
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

TURTLE MAN DOWN!😂😂😂
He’s training just in case he happens upon GunGizzard while buying rimfire ammo. About a slim chance ,but better to be prepared.
Out of character for SW, but not surprising these days.

Next week, who the f knows what a fair price is?
Our Sportsmans warehouse is tge most expensive place around on most things. They say they'll price match but I've never been able to get them to do it, they always have an excuse not to. I tried again the other day just for fun.

They said they would match a store down the street. I said ok, they have Blazer brass 9mm for $11.99 a box and SW was I think $16.99. I asked them to match it so they called the competitor and confirmed the price. Then the manager said they couldn't fo it because it was almost their cost. He was standing right under a big banner they had up saying best prices guaranteed.

I just went to the other store and bought a case but I had to wait in a long line to check out. The nice part about our sportsmans warehouse is its rarely busy. I knew the other store would have a line.

Bb
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by ldholton

Please enlighten us how you find and buy powder for 10 cents on the dollar. That would mean you are buying 1 pound containers for $4-7 each and 8 pound jugs for $30-45
what the meaning was you'd be surprised if you actually try looking a little hard and your wife knows about such things how much stuff at garage sales slash estate sales and such you can find really cheap.
from someone who bought a lot more stuff than they will ever use and it gets sold at that time at penney's on the dollar..
Teal,

I call it greed.

Best
Heavy

Do your part then. Stop buying it.
For the first time in many years I been seeing good supplies of Vihtavuori powders in stock. I picked up two 8 pound jugs from Grafs last month, one N133 and the other in N135. My guess is the higher prices are slowing down sales. I learned a long time ago, buy it when you find it. Or you might do without for a year, or longer.
I have to say, the most unimpressed I have ever been with an hunting/fishing store was Sportsman's Warehouse in the Phoenix metro area in January. An employee came up to me and apologized for such low inventory. He said corporate wasn't sending more stuff for another month or so.
Just back from a localish place.

IMR4350 was 66 a lb.
Varget like 55 a lb.

No RE15 available as that's what I wanted. Did get 2k worth of 7.5 BR small rifle primers at 7 cents per. All other primers were about 10 c/p.

No 223 brass in bulk available. Plenty of Lapua, Peterson and ADG brass in 6.5 PRC, 7 PRC.

(Ignore the tag, different shelf)

Centershot: That is outrageous!
I find I VERY seldom buy anything at sportsmans whorehouse anymore.
Do better elsewhere without exception.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sportsman’s just opened here if you’ve never been fuqkd you’ll be when you leave there 🤣
If you do not already have a life time supply of powder and primers, TODAY is the "Good Ole Days". Embrace the suck. Stock up now. They ain't gonna get any cheaper.

"Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it..."
Originally Posted by Orion2000
If you do not already have a life time supply of powder and primers, TODAY is the "Good Ole Days". Embrace the suck. Stock up now. They ain't gonna get any cheaper.

"Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it..."

Good for my days more than likely on primers, and bullets. At least bullets on a couple calibers, not all. Powder, one of these days gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a good chunk more. Hate to think of it at these prices, might have to get creative and barter with some stuff I'm not using. Can't see paying some of the prices I see.
Getting awfully expensive to buy a few different powders to see what works best in your rifle........
2014 I bought 8 pounds H4350 $176 + shipping

Today that would cost $370 + shipping

[$370/$176]^-10 = 1.077 -> 7.7% interest compounded annually.
© 24hourcampfire