Home
Posted By: gonehuntin Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
....to spend my Christmas gift card. I bought a box of pistol ammo. I would guess that nearly 75% of the store is dedicated to clothing and overpriced food snacks. The Gun Library didn't have anything really unusual, I did notice a new Steyr rifle in 6.5x55 priced at $2500(?) if I remember correctly.
This was in a gun case:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Visited the Boise, Id store recently, and I'm amazed at the prices on everything.
All I ever look at in there is fryer and cooker selection.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
I went to Cabelas yesterday, first time in several years. I used to go multiple times a month.
Nothing exciting in the gun library. The rest of the store was same old stuff, at much higher prices than I remembered.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
I went Thursday. Had about $35 in points & thought I'd get a flat of 20 ga. shells. Hell, the shells were so high that I could get same at Buds or Wally World without using my points.

Found a couple boxes of Barnes Match Burners I've wanting to play with, $35 a box. So I'm figurin one of two boxes was free. On the way to the truck somethin didn't feel right & when I got there & checked the ticket it showed I'd pad $39 a box. Back we go, reimbursed but touch & go for a few minutes.

Liking, using mail order more all the time., & it won't usually be them. After all that I'm wondering if their CC with the points is even worth using.
Posted By: viking Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
At least they don’t suck as bad as Academy. We stopped at one in Denton.
Posted By: guy57 Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Our Saginaw store in 90% polo shirts, kackie shorts, women's and kids clothes. Freekin joke. Almost never go there anymore.
For that kind of $$$ I'm buying a Sig MCX-SPEAR LT 300 BLK 9" SBR.......
Gun counter guys are dumbchits, I asked for a pound of IMR 4350, after 10 minutes in the back room he reappears with H4350. Swears that it's the only 4350 they ever had, couldn't convince him that it's not interchangeable with IMR 4350. The Redhead clothing is Chinese crap, falls apart in no time. Most everything else is seriously overpriced, I seldom stop there anymore.
Originally Posted by slumlord
All I ever look at in there is fryer and cooker selection.

They’re damn near becoming Dicks.

Nothing to do with sportsmen. Won’t surprise me when they start carrying frikking golf clubs.
Hi price schit I can cook sum allygator meet at the ponderoso
Posted By: dale06 Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
I went Thursday. Had about $35 in points & thought I'd get a flat of 20 ga. shells. Hell, the shells were so high that I could get same at Buds or Wally World without using my points.

Found a couple boxes of Barnes Match Burners I've wanting to play with, $35 a box. So I'm figurin one of two boxes was free. On the way to the truck somethin didn't feel right & when I got there & checked the ticket it showed I'd pad $39 a box. Back we go, reimbursed but touch & go for a few minutes.

Liking, using mail order more all the time., & it won't usually be them. After all that I'm wondering if their CC with the points is even worth using.

I had a Cabelas black card visa for years. I cut it up when bass pro bought them.
I now have a Scheels visa card. Their stores are what Cabelas was 20 years ago, but they do have athletic sports stuff in addition to hunting and fishing.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Gun counter guys are dumbchits, I asked for a pound of IMR 4350, after 10 minutes in the back room he reappears with H4350. Swears that it's the only 4350 they ever had, couldn't convince him that it's not interchangeable with IMR 4350. The Redhead clothing is Chinese crap, falls apart in no time. Most everything else is seriously overpriced, I seldom stop there anymore.

Welcome to management by Bass Pro, the Walmart of outdoors stores.
We have been watching a Scheels go up outside of Boise, about forty miles, or 35 minutes at the right time of day, from the house. Supposed to be open in a month or so.

I am hopeful it will compare favorably to Cabelas and Sportsman's.
Posted By: MAC Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
The last 3 times I have gone to a Cabelas store I have left without buying anything. I would rather hit Scheels or JAX if one is handy
I miss the Cabela's from before the Bass Pro merger.
Posted By: EdM Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
A couple of months ago I found a mint Rem 700Ti 270 Win priced very well at Bass Pro. The only used long gun in the rack. It came home.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Almost bought a well used 16 gauge Model 12 today. But wife was with me….
Posted By: Riverc Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Been over a year since Í stepped foot in Cabelas. I mostly go to Academy.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Pussy

My 1st wife was gonna leave me if I bought a new Python I'd just found. I bought it anyway.

But I bought a new frost free fridge too. laugh Something she didn't have to defrost every Saturday.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24

Pussy

My 1st wife was gonna leave me if I bought a new Python I'd just found. I bought it anyway.

But I bought a new frost free fridge too. laugh Something she didn't have to defrost every Saturday.

Mostly sarcasm. She’s mostly given up on my purchases, and she only knows of about 1/4 of them…
They make it hard to spend money these days. Most stuff is overpriced trash.
Clothing store.
Cabelas in Gainesville is a hit and miss in the used guns
Sometimes you find guns unbelievably cheap sometimes not much of anything
They have a pretty good selection of new guns and a good bit of aftermarket stuff
Powder and bullet selection is decent
Trail cams , archery, hunting glass , all seems to be plentiful
Hunting clothes , depends on what your looking for
Kenneth
I have had $150.00 in gift cards for over a year. Been in a store twice and looked online multiple times and can't find anything I want in stock or at a decent price.
Higher prices are the result of buying up the competition
Bass Pro (same company really) is much the same. Clothes, sunglasses, tents and stuff. We all know that America is eat up with inflation, yet we still are shocked when it slaps us in the face.
Went to Cabelas a couple of months ago. Got two lbs of H110. They didn't have the bullets I needed, even though it said they were in stock there.
I work part time at Bass Pro. They stock what Corporate sends, Managers have zero say in what arrives on the truck.

What arrives is what sells: T-shirts, and candy. It's a huge corporation and makes billions a year, so I'm sure they're really concerned with what a guy with $50 gift card thinks.

Hard to keep people employed for some reason? I've been there a year and am leaving soon because I want to enjoy retirement, not live around a work schedule.

As far as prices: When everybody has to make $15 an hour, prices go UP because everyone has to make a "living wage" and everyone has a lot less buying power or disposable income. But that's OK because the clowns in DC are convinced all is sunshine and roses.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
They have an 8 horse merc outboard for 50 bucks cheaper than the marine down the road. I will pay the extra 50 buck to buy it at the boat dealer. About 5 yrs. ago I bought a 5 horse. It was 20 buck less at Cabelas but decided to buy from the boat dealer anyway. The 5 horse was $1,650 with tax, so 20 bucks doesnt count.. If I have a part or problem with an outboard I bought at the boar dealer, they know from records if I bought it there. I am not sure I will get treated better if I need a repair, but I sure wont be treated any worse so , it will likely pay off.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Cabelas used to be a destination place that was worth driving out of the way for. Bass Pro’s purchase ruined them (both really even though I never liked BP as much)

I used to make going to Buda a thing on road trips. I have stayed in motels for weeks at a time since October in Gonzales, La. off and on. Cabelas is walking distance and Don’s is one of my preferred restaurants there (same parking area pretty much). I’ve been in there 4 times. Once to check it out on the first trip, once to burn gift cards on ammo, once to show the wife when she was there, and another to buy an inexpensive hard case to allow a shotgun in baggage.

I’m glad that they have stayed in business though I wonder how from the amount of cars in the parking lot.
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I work part time at Bass Pro. They stock what Corporate sends, Managers have zero say in what arrives on the truck.

What arrives is what sells: T-shirts, and candy. It's a huge corporation and makes billions a year, so I'm sure they're really concerned with what a guy with $50 gift card thinks.

Hard to keep people employed for some reason? I've been there a year and am leaving soon because I want to enjoy retirement, not live around a work schedule.

As far as prices: When everybody has to make $15 an hour, prices go UP because everyone has to make a "living wage" and everyone has a lot less buying power or disposable income. But that's OK because the clowns in DC are convinced all is sunshine and roses.
I worked part time at BP too. Hired on just before black Friday and worked Thanksgiving day. It was the worst job I ever had. I was coming off 31-1/2 years as a fireman, the last 12 years as a captain. They treat new employees like it's their first job ever and the training is crap. Just enough to cover their ass. At the end of orientation day we were taken into the office and shown our work schedules. I took a look and said I had a doctors appointment and I can't get out of it. Some fat lesbo beotch hears this, turns, around and says I should have requested the day off two weeks ago. I said, really? I'm here for orientation. She just put her head down and went back to what she was doing.
Another time I was asked to fill in for someone. I said sure, and initialed the schedule worksheet. When the official schedule came out I wasn't on it. I figured things changed and I wasn't needed. That weekend I went in to buy something and everybody was looking at me like I was Charlie Manson. I was told I was a no call, no show. A couple weeks later my manager wants to give me a write up for it. I had taken a picture of the posted schedule and showed it to her and told her I wasn't on it. She shows me another schedule and I call her on it as now there are 3 schedules. I told her in my last position I worked, one of my responsibilities was staffing for our battalion, 8 stations, 12 pieces of equipment, 38 bodies every day. When brush fire broke out I had to staff everything with wheels and some were special skills positions. Maybe 50 people, all on short notice. I told her I say this not because I was perfect at it. Sometimes wires got crossed and I had to scramble to get a body in place. Mistakes happen. Nobody called me to tell me there was a schedule change. She backed off, said she would give it another look and I never heard another word.
I could go on and on. I had my knee scoped and it wasn't going great. I sat at home over Black Friday weekend and thought, WTF am I doing working? I missed lots of holidays from a real job. I spent 2 Thanksgivings on brush fires FFS. I went in on Monday and quit and haven't worked since.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
The one in Atlantic City is just a disorganized excuse for a hunting/fishing store. A few years ago I got a sales flyer from that store with a good deal on cases of shotgun ammo.

Made the 50 mile trip there and showed the sale paper to the firearms sales manager, only to be told "Oh no, we don't sell ammunition by the case.". And not in a nice way.

On the way out the door, I put my name in the box for a drawing they were having. Got a phone call a few days later that I had won. I won a Plano PillarLock two-gun case, a pair of Leupold binos and two boxes of rifle ammo. Kinda made it worth the trip.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
They made the stores so big they have to fill it with clothing or it would feel empty.

I go look, and 90% of the time I order online. It is a good destination type store to kill an hour or two if nearby.
I only look at fishing stuff. Last time I was there the shelves were full but everything was arranged so oddly that I never found the few things I went for. They have a Spring Sale on now. What I'd save on lures would be eaten up by the gas to get there.

I too have turned to online shopping mostly. Tackle Warehouse has free shipping with minimum buy -- not too difficult to hit these days.
I have a Scheels card, all their goods are high priced.
I work in one of 8 different cities and states every week.

Several Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsmans and Sheels to walk through.

I used to use these stores as a way to kill an evening but that's not even enjoyable anymore.

These stores kinda suck but the taxidermy and the way the grand hall entrance is set up in BP's is normal really cool
Posted By: Futura Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
The one by me took down the Cabelas sign about 6 months ago and is a Bass Pro. But they all are now anyway. Gun library still has some deals. Lots of pre owned out here.

Was in yesterday and they had a brand new looking pre owned BACO Supergrade in 243 for $1,000.00. Deep brown wood with tiger stripes. Has them take it out of the rack. Told them it’s real nice except for the hairline crack running through the bolt handle recess. Sales guys eyes got wide so I showed him. He took it in the back and left it there. Said the manager wouldn’t sell it with a defective stock. Asked if I could buy it a a discount and they said no.
Cabela's is never on the high priority list for me. Every once in a while I go and check to see what rifles are in the gun library, but that's about it. I don't buy ammo or reloading supplies there, they like azz raping people there.
Actually I buy stuff from the gun library online. They have some great deals on unique stuff, they ship free to your local store for pick up, I get Cabelas Bucks thru my biz card so free money on top.

They have fallen since the BPS merger, Redhead clothing sucks. The Cabelas clothes were awesome quality in big and tall sizes.

Pussy

Mostly sarcasm. She’s mostly given up on my purchases, and she only knows of about 1/4 of them…
There is a good reason I have had this woman for 41 years.

Last week she sat beside me as I made a deal to purchase three rifles w/ scopes.

She just grins and shakes her head.

But then I did not give her any schitt when she paid the same $ for a wood and resin coffee table in the living room. And then she hated it as soon as I got it unboxed and assembled.
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Increases IRS revenues. Moves people beyond the tax exempt level.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Haven't been in cabellas since bass pro bought them. I will not step a foot in there. Just a dumbed down REI.
Gonehuntin: I seldom ever buy anything from "Cabelas" or "Sportsmans Whorehouse" anymore - their prices are just offensive to me.
I am glad you had a "gift certificate.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gonehuntin: I seldom ever buy anything from "Cabelas" or "Sportsmans Whorehouse" anymore - their prices are just offensive to me.
I am glad you had a "gift certificate.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm glad I'm 2 & 2.5 hrs away from those big so called super stores

No interest in walking through the doors

Shop online...watch for sales...free shipping
I was in the post falls Cabeles couple of years ago. Decided its not worth the 30 min drive.
Have not been back.
Originally Posted by Traveler52
I was in the post falls Cabeles couple of years ago. Decided its not worth the 30 min drive.
Have not been back.

Lehi Utah

When the store opened....

Went there twice

The first & last time
Being accosted by “The Time Share / Register to Win a Vacation” talking heads is always a heartwarming experience too.
Cabelas..........LL Bean....Sears Roebuck......JC Penney

Were the talk of the town......

50 yrs ago
Posted By: mikieb Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
Dang it man ! I got a $100 gift card to burn up the next time I am in the store.... reading all this... it may be a hard thing to do....

I guess, it will be a lot of fishing line and plastic worms...
Originally Posted by mikieb
Dang it man ! I got a $100 gift card to burn up the next time I am in the store.... reading all this... it may be a hard thing to do....

Your $100 card

May net you $40 in stuff in today's prices....
I’ve no idea who they actually sell stuff to, but it is clear I’m not their target audience.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Went to Cabela's today.... - 03/17/24
They aren't a gun shop. They sell outdoor gear for hunting, fishing, boating, ATV's camping, hiking, swimming as well as work clothes and boots. They even sell small tractors. They sell toys and other things women are more interested in. It's a place to entertain the kids and wife while I look for what I need, and it brings in more money.

I participate in many of those activities and while I use guns, they are a small part of the gear that I need. There are better places near me to buy guns and shooting supplies anyway and that's OK. But I can often see things there not available locally. I've ran across a couple of deals on used guns and sometimes pick up ammo when I'm in one.

There are some departments at Cabela's/BPS that I've never visited because I don't participate in those activities. Ordering online is fine if you know what you are looking for, but I like to see, touch, feel, and try on items if possible before ordering. Often, I find something I like, but they don't have my size or the color I want. I can go home and order it knowing what I'll get.

Prices; some are too high, some are pretty good. If I can get it cheaper somewhere else I do. If their prices are competitive, I'll buy from them.

I liked Cabela's before the BPS takeover but it is what it is. There are 2 Cabela's/BPS's a Sportsmans Warehouse and 2 Academy stores less than an hour away and I spend time in all of them when I'm nearby.
Who tha fuqk would buy a tractor from cabelas 🤷‍♂️
I was in the Lehi store about six months ago. Had some time to kill. First time in a couple of year since I have been in one. In the gun library, they had a couple of new turkish semi-auto shotguns marked half off of what everyone else was selling them for. My son’s new bride has been clay pigeon shooting with us a few times but she’s petite and doesn’t like the heft and recoil of a 12 ga. The Cabela’s guns were 20 ga semi-autos so I bought them both. First deal I’ve come across at Cabelas in a long time. I gave the second one to my wife. Maybe she’ll quit stealing my Winchester SX3 now. I used to really like them before they sold to BPS. Their warehouse is fifteen minutes away and back then, I could order anything on line and pick it up in will call there. BPS put a stop to that and with their new and improved high prices, I don’t have any desire to go.
Was talking to the cashier at Runnings Fleet store. He told me Cabelas had been sold. So when I got home, I googled Cabela's. One article said the Cabelas store in Owatonna, Mn. was sold to a private party...apparently, sold the land and building, and now leasing it back to Cabelas. Interesting.

Back when Cabelas started building all the stores around the country, I thought they'd turn into the Herter's of old. Guess I was right.
Originally Posted by mikieb

Gummy worms
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Was talking to the cashier at Runnings Fleet store. He told me Cabelas had been sold. So when I got home, I googled Cabela's. One article said the Cabelas store in Owatonna, Mn. was sold to a private party...apparently, sold the land and building, and now leasing it back to Cabelas. Interesting.

Back when Cabelas started building all the stores around the country, I thought they'd turn into the Herter's of old. Guess I was right.

Morris Industries bought Cabelas
You need to shop where there are firearm restrictions for hunting seasons. They sometimes have great firearms at lower peices as the market is smaller where they cannot be used.
Watch the Cabelas firearms inventory online. A couple years ago I found a (last one) new Rem 700 SA in 260. It was the Magpul model with the Magpul synthetic stock, threaded 5R barrel, bottom metal to accept AICS mags, and ceramic coated.

The model had not been produced, in 260, for many years. It was priced reasonably. Cabelas transferred it to the Boise store at no charge.
And I zeroed out the points balance on the card once again.

Last fall, points paid for a shooting bench without ever stepping into the store.
© 24hourcampfire