Home
Posted By: mark shubert polyclad bullets - 03/24/24
I've been looking for a manufacturer of polyclad, 158 gr, 357 caliber, semi-wadcutters - with a flat base.
All I've found in my search make bevel based semi-wadcutters.
Any leads, guys?
Posted By: roverboy Re: polyclad bullets - 03/24/24
No, sorry. That sounds good to me too. Maybe somebody will chime in soon.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: polyclad bullets - 03/24/24
By poly clad if you mean Hi Tek coated heres your ticket.

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=416&category=5&secondary=10&keywords=

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: mark shubert Re: polyclad bullets - 03/25/24
Thanks, Swifty. Are they a flat base?
To me, they appeared to have a bevel base per MBC's site - but the photography wasn't the best (hard for me to tell).
Bump - hoping for an answer from Swifty. smile
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: polyclad bullets - 03/25/24
Mark, powder coating cast bullets is an easy process. If you don't want to cast yourself, it shouldn't be much pf a problem it find someone to cast some for you. Doing the powder coating is easy and you can bake them in your home oven.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: polyclad bullets - 03/25/24
From the horses mouth.

There is a very subtle bevel. That is not the best picture. If you want you can have the grooved version with the coating it has a much better bevel on them.

Customer Service
www.missouribullet.com
816-597-3204
Thanks, Swifty. I'm actually looking for the flattest base I can get.
I used to cast, before time became an issue.
Posted By: philbow Re: polyclad bullets - 03/25/24
Matt's bullets the 4th question.
https://www.mattsbullets.com/faq.html

I have the 157 grain wadcutters and they are sharp edged flat base.
Posted By: benelliss Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Bayoubullets.net
Posted By: Anteloper Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Google,

“Blue Bullets”

Check out their semi wadcutter

Truly polymer
Posted By: mark shubert Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
As far as I can tell, both Bayou Bullets, and Blue Bullets, have bevel bases on their SWC's.

Thanks, Phil i I'll check out Matt's.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Why so insistent on a FB?
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Sealing the bore. Just my opinion. Don't quote me on that. There is a word for that, but it's got a lot of syllables so I won't use it.
Posted By: Chisos Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24

He, theoretically, might be thinking a FB will expand more in an over size chamber. One of the problems with that is the commercial cast are so hard, to keep them from deforming during shipping, one would have to drive TF out of the bullet to get any expansion. Target loadings ain't gonna do it.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Mark, apologies for the hijack. But education is important for the young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obturation
Posted By: Chisos Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Mark, apologies for the hijack. But education is important for the young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obturation

The pressure chart you presented confirmed my statement. A lot of the commercial cast, not the ~12-16 BNH most casters like to obtain, are approaching 30 BNH.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Bevel the base is mainly done to promote better ejection from the mold on semi or auto casting setups like Magma Engneerings machines..mb
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
I think it was Mike Venturino that said years ago that manufacturers sold bevel base for ease of loading when in fact it was for ease of manufacture.

It's easier to mass produce a BB. It is harder to achieve a perfect, sharp FB.

I assume that's why they are always priced higher than BB bullets.
Posted By: RAM Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've been looking for a manufacturer of polyclad, 158 gr, 357 caliber, semi-wadcutters - with a flat base.
All I've found in my search make bevel based semi-wadcutters.
Any leads, guys?
Polyclad was a trade name S&W toyed with back when they marketed ammo if memory serves. Had one around Nylon too Nylok ??
It was way back when lead at indoor ranges was just being looked at for Cops since most shot in the basements of the PD w/o ventilation
Other companies market similar now as posters have provided.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
I believe Federal had the “nyclad”.
Posted By: Anteloper Re: polyclad bullets - 03/26/24
I think it was Mike Venturino that said years ago that manufacturers sold bevel base for ease of loading when in fact it was for ease of manufacture.

Both points are very true. The loading point, particularly for progressive machine with automatic bullet feed.

I quit using “progressive” presses when it became a synonym for “Liberal”.
Posted By: benelliss Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24
I looked at Bayou bullets. Looks like they have a 160 grain rn that looks like a flat base. Looks like the 158's are bevel base.
The owner is a good guy. He is Jerry Miculek's brother. They do make and sell good bullets
Posted By: shootem Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24

Gas blow by is least prevalent on the flat base vs beveled base
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Anteloper

Both points are very true. The loading point, particularly for progressive machine with automatic bullet feed.

I quit using “progressive” presses when it became a synonym for “Liberal”.

I have not quite been able to master the time for casting....but most of what I buy is FB.

The RN 45 colt bullets are not.

I think they are a 667 or the like.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24
I don't consider this thread to be "hijacked" - just turned into a valid discussion.
Back when I WAS casting - I bought some bevel bases that leaded badly, when my flat based bullets didn't.
I did a minimal amount of research, and learned a bit about the bevel base and blow-by, lead deposits, etc.
Simple answer is to just use flat based lead bullets, even though they're a little more finicky to load without damage.
Posted By: Strop10 Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Sealing the bore. Just my opinion. Don't quote me on that. There is a word for that, but it's got a lot of syllables so I won't use it.
Obturation?
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I don't consider this thread to be "hijacked" - just turned into a valid discussion.
Back when I WAS casting - I bought some bevel bases that leaded badly, when my flat based bullets didn't.
I did a minimal amount of research, and learned a bit about the bevel base and blow-by, lead deposits, etc.
Simple answer is to just use flat based lead bullets, even though they're a little more finicky to load without damage.

I am gonna load some 44 mag this afternoon.

FB SWC is all I load for it.

9 grains of Unique.

Seem to remember that perhaps a FB has better accuracy potential?
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: polyclad bullets - 03/27/24
Ive shot literally hundreds of thousand's of bevel base cast bullets thru two of my competition revolvers without any leading problems. Obviously Im not pushing them over 850fps, might run into problems in heavier magnum velocities, but for target type shooting, you will not have any leading problems with bevel base bullets. I have been using the poly coated bullets for last several years, and I would imagine there is even less of a leading concern with them.
© 24hourcampfire