Home
Posted By: 7mmbuster A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
I blundered across this tonight, and thought it too good not to pass on.
I have admitted before that I have a sorta “school boy” crush on Patsy Cline.
Now of the men who sang Country, the race tightens quite a bit.
Now here we got Johnny Cash, Waylon and George Jones, many more! Who in the heck can choose a standout among these great singers?
I will not attempt it. But Conway can definitely get me singing as loud as anybody! “It’s Only Make Believe” rivals the best of them all.

Patsy stood in a class by herself. Of the men who sang Country, the question is harder.
I love Conway as much as anyone!
Reon
Hello darlin, it’s been a long time,,,
Hell yeah
Posted By: 673 Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
I like old time country music!
Posted By: Alan_C Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
My folks liked Conway
That’s My Job…. One of my favorite country music songs.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Posted By: Riverc Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Posted By: Dons99 Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
One of my favorite Conway songs
Posted By: WileyC Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
What a legend this man is! Working in Hemphill, Texas in the mid 70s I ate in Twitty's Restaurant nearly every day for the few weeks that I was there. In the foyer there was a huge portrait of Conway.
Said he looked at a map and saw Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas and came up with his stage name.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Riverc

Thanks!
Posted By: Dons99 Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by WileyC
What a legend this man is! Working in Hemphill, Texas in the mid 70s I ate in Twitty's Restaurant nearly every day for the few weeks that I was there. In the foyer there was a huge portrait of Conway.
1980 flew on the same flight from Baton Rouge to Memphis on Republic Airlines
Love his music. Old style, classic country. He was very good.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24

Cool! Playing an old Peavey T-60. Thanks for posting!
My Dad took me to a Conway and Loretta concert when I was a boy. He loved Conway and had some 8 track tapes he played over and over while we worked on his rental houses.
Big fan of Conway.
Harold Jenkens, A sergeant at Fort Sill told us Conway went through training there, but that was not his real name.

He played a lot at the Cobblestone Ballroom, he sang a lot of country, but as kids, we wanted rock.
back in the day, Twitty styled himself as a rock and roll singer. He was on tour in 1959, and played at the Osceola High School gym in Kissimmee FL. I was there and it was a pretty decent show. It's Only Make Believe was in the mix.

Conway was in the latter portion of his career when I was growing up so he had country legend emeritus status established at the point and this was released in ‘87 when I was 11.

I could completely relate to the point of view in the lyrics as they describe my dad very well and even hearing it just know I can recall being a boy who had a superhero for a dad. Damn, these allergies…..

Marvelous song.
Too dang many to list for me. We usually had something with an 8 track tape player, and Conway was another of my Parents favorites. I wasn’t a fan at first, but now I love his music.
He was offered a contract with either the Reds or the Phillies, but turned it down to pursue a career as a singer!

I Don’t Know A Thing About Love

The Clown
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Too dang many to list for me. We usually had something with an 8 track tape player, and Conway was another of my Parents favorites. I wasn’t a fan at first, but now I love his music.
He was offered a contract with either the Reds or the Phillies, but turned it down to pursue a career as a singer!

I Don’t Know A Thing About Love

The Clown
I heard it was the Phillies hell his batting average was over .400
His grandson and Lorettas' granddaughter teamed up and tour the country with a tribute show.
Plenty of videos on You Tube.
Posted By: hanco Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by WileyC

I hunt about 30 miles south in Weirgate. I wonder if restaurant is still there?
Posted By: hanco Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Glen Templeton sounds just like him, going to see him April 20 at 2920 Roadhouse just west of Tomball
Posted By: Raeford Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
I was R&R only up until I met my future wife.

Her Nana had raised her on Conway, Loretta, Tammy, George etc

I liked this 'older' country.

Wish that we would have seen Conway & Loretta together, never did but we saw Conway every time he played close by.

Those older women would completely lose their minds when he stepped out onto the stage.
I worked with a lady who’s boyfriend had won a couple sound alike contests, but I never got to meet him. Carol and I listened to Conway, Ben as a teenager just rolled his eyes. Now he loves him too!

The Rose
Here’s a man who built his entire career singing about banging women. Only in America!
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
His grandson and Lorettas' granddaughter teamed up and tour the country with a tribute show.
Plenty of videos on You Tube.

I saw Loretta’s granddaughter on some show the other day. She can sing! Cute as all get out too.
I think she said her Mom is one of Loretta’s twin daughter’s that use to tour in the 90’s as a singing duo.

I’ve told this story here before:

When I was a kiddo, there was an old dance hall down the road from the Ranch in Stamford, TX, called The Stagecoach Inn. Parents use to go dancing there. Kids were allowed to play in the parking lot, or sit with their parents.
Saw ole Conway play their several times when he was touring through TX.
One night, as he was obviously drunk on stage, he got pissed off at his band and a fight ensued.
Little ole Conway kicked the ever loving crap out of them. 🤪
He was at the Cobblestone ballroom a few times.
Screw Conway, his horse and whoever posts all this s hit!!
Conway Twitty was not a REAL country singer, because ......

He did not wear a cowboy hat. No singer who wants to be a country singer, can ever be taken seriously unless he wears a big cowboy hat ... white or light gray A cowboy hat identifies the singer as being a genuine country singer. grin

L.W.
Posted By: MOGC Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Baseball player...

"Twitty was a baseball player with a batting average of .450 when he graduated from high school, and he was offered a contract with the Philadelphia Phillies.[6] He worked for a few months for International Harvester before accepting the Phillies offer.[6] However, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served in the Far East, during which time he organized a group called the Cimmarons to entertain his fellow soldiers.[7] The Phillies renewed their offer when he returned home, but Twitty had by now become more interested in pursuing a music career.[6]"
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Conway Twitty was not a REAL country singer, because ......

He did not wear a cowboy hat. No singer who wants to be a country singer, can ever be taken seriously unless he wears a big cowboy hat ... white or light gray A cowboy hat identifies the singer as being a genuine country singer. grin

L.W.
He couldn't mess that pretty hair up with a friggin hat? C'mon, man!
Adopted his stage name playing gigs from Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Here’s a man who built his entire career singing about banging women. Only in America!

Heh!

“Bomp, Bomp,,,,,Bomne.”

Never been this far before.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Heh!

“Bomp, Bomp,,,,,Bomne.”

Never been this far before.
I don’t abide you in a Conway Twitty thread, Dickey.
Posted By: Rapier Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
Grew up in OK. Went to Mid West City HS. In 1958 I heard Conway singing It Is Only Make Believe on the radio late one night, it was a rock n roll station, out of TX as I recall. Conway Twitty was a rock n roll singer that did not cross over, he literally switched to Country and Western, because there was more money in CW music recording. Conway is a rare member of the hall of fame for writers and singers both.
Posted By: antlers Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/27/24
When I moved to Norman, Oklahoma in 1975, Conway Twitty had a house there in a regular neighborhood over by the Westwood Park Golf Course. And there on the front of his house, he had mounted a real big “CT” logo. No schit.
A church got a brand new preacher who was a dead ringer for Conway Twitty. The preacher took it upon himself to go and introduce himself to his parishioners. His first visit was to an elderly lady. She came to the door and opened it and exclaimed "It's Conway Twitty"! The good reverend smiled and said no, told her he was the new preacher and introduced himself. After a few minutes of pleasant conversation, he left and drove to the next house on his list. This was another older lady and he got the same reaction, "It's Conway Twitty"! Again the new preacher explained who he was and why he was there. This happened two more times. At the fifth house he tried, things happened a little differently. At this house, he rang the doorbell and a gorgeous blonde opened the door wrapped only in a towel. She took one look at him and practically screamed, "Oh my God, it's Conway Twitty"! And her towel dropped to the floor. The preacher took one look and said "Hello darlin'"!

Always liked that song.

First time I heard it after my dad passed I had to pull my truck over for a few minutes.
My brother was a big country music fan. I worked with Harold Jenkins’cousin, Milton while in college. They hail from the Rosedale to Clarksdale area of Mississippi. His father had or managed a “supper club” on Moon Lake north of Clarksdale. My brother hung out there a good bit with his college roommate and you never knew who would come a visiting in the wee hours of the morning. Many times it was Conway, Jerry Lee Lewis aka the Killer, and numerous others. All were there for good food and drinks. The road goes on forever…This was during prohibition and as long as the sheriff got his cut; everything was A OK. Lotta impromptu performances and jams.
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
A church got a brand new preacher who was a dead ringer for Conway Twitty. The preacher took it upon himself to go and introduce himself to his parishioners. His first visit was to an elderly lady. She came to the door and opened it and exclaimed "It's Conway Twitty"! The good reverend smiled and said no, told her he was the new preacher and introduced himself. After a few minutes of pleasant conversation, he left and drove to the next house on his list. This was another older lady and he got the same reaction, "It's Conway Twitty"! Again the new preacher explained who he was and why he was there. This happened two more times. At the fifth house he tried, things happened a little differently. At this house, he rang the doorbell and a gorgeous blonde opened the door wrapped only in a towel. She took one look at him and practically screamed, "Oh my God, it's Conway Twitty"! And her towel dropped to the floor. The preacher took one look and said "Hello darlin'"!

LOL !
Posted By: memtb Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/30/24
Absolutely one of the best! He left us far too soon…..definitely left a hole in Country Music with his passing! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/30/24
Fabulous voice!!
When i was a kid, my aunt gave me a Twitty Christmas tape… “Live from the north pole”

Coolest thing ever for a kid..
If Kitty Wells married Conway, she would be Kitty Twitty…
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^HAHAHA^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HS 58
I thought he was really good on the Carol Burnette show.
Originally Posted by carrollco
My brother was a big country music fan. I worked with Harold Jenkins’cousin, Milton while in college. They hail from the Rosedale to Clarksdale area of Mississippi. His father had or managed a “supper club” on Moon Lake north of Clarksdale. My brother hung out there a good bit with his college roommate and you never knew who would come a visiting in the wee hours of the morning. Many times it was Conway, Jerry Lee Lewis aka the Killer, and numerous others. All were there for good food and drinks. The road goes on forever…This was during prohibition and as long as the sheriff got his cut; everything was A OK. Lotta impromptu performances and jams.

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1920’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1929’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪

I almost said the same thing, but prohibition in OK went into the late 50’s.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1929’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪

I almost said the same thing, but prohibition in OK went into the late 50’s.

Dang. Never heard of that. Maybe it had to do with all the Reservations in OK ?
Posted By: Rapier Re: A Tribute To Conway Twitty - 03/30/24
Nope into the 70-80s counties were still dry in AL, MS, OK, and North Florida. like Santa Rosa county in FL was dry until the 90s.
Originally Posted by Rapier
Nope into the 70-80s counties were still dry in AL, MS, OK, and North Florida. like Santa Rosa county in FL was dry until the 90s.

Our county in MS was dry until maybe 5 years ago…

Baptist said everyone was going to hell 😂😂
Conway Twitty sang with a passion it’s hard to describe. I bellow them out along with him when he comes on the radio.

The chemistry twixt him and Loretta was impossible to ignore. Even as a kid I figured they were banging.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Rapier

Our county in MS was dry until maybe 5 years ago…

Baptist said everyone was going to hell 😂😂

LOL. While I understand that there still were lots of “dry counties” back then, it’s not really Prohibition, which was Nation wide. 🤪

The county I grew up in voted itself “wet” in 1978, the year I graduated from HS. By a margin of like 50 votes. 🤪
There were three Private Christian College’s here. One Baptist, one Methodist, and one Church of Christ, which pretty much ran the Mayor’s office and City Council. 🤪

There was a little unincorporated “town” just a mile north and across the County Line that made a fuggin FORTUNE $$$ in the 1940’s 50’s, 60’s & 70’s because of the 4 Liquor Stores there owned by the Pinkie Brothers.
They owned Liquor Stores all over TX just like that just across the County Line.
Now, I think there are only 3 or 4 of them left in the whole State. 🤪
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Conway Twitty sang with a passion it’s hard to describe. I bellow them out along with him when he comes on the radio.

The chemistry twixt him and Loretta was impossible to ignore. Even as a kid I figured they were banging.

Loretta’s husband Ole "Mooney" Lynn would’ve stomped ole Conway’s ass. 😜
© 24hourcampfire