Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Here’s a man who built his entire career singing about banging women. Only in America!

Heh!

“Bomp, Bomp,,,,,Bomne.”

Never been this far before.
I don’t abide you in a Conway Twitty thread, Dickey.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grew up in OK. Went to Mid West City HS. In 1958 I heard Conway singing It Is Only Make Believe on the radio late one night, it was a rock n roll station, out of TX as I recall. Conway Twitty was a rock n roll singer that did not cross over, he literally switched to Country and Western, because there was more money in CW music recording. Conway is a rare member of the hall of fame for writers and singers both.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I moved to Norman, Oklahoma in 1975, Conway Twitty had a house there in a regular neighborhood over by the Westwood Park Golf Course. And there on the front of his house, he had mounted a real big “CT” logo. No schit.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A church got a brand new preacher who was a dead ringer for Conway Twitty. The preacher took it upon himself to go and introduce himself to his parishioners. His first visit was to an elderly lady. She came to the door and opened it and exclaimed "It's Conway Twitty"! The good reverend smiled and said no, told her he was the new preacher and introduced himself. After a few minutes of pleasant conversation, he left and drove to the next house on his list. This was another older lady and he got the same reaction, "It's Conway Twitty"! Again the new preacher explained who he was and why he was there. This happened two more times. At the fifth house he tried, things happened a little differently. At this house, he rang the doorbell and a gorgeous blonde opened the door wrapped only in a towel. She took one look at him and practically screamed, "Oh my God, it's Conway Twitty"! And her towel dropped to the floor. The preacher took one look and said "Hello darlin'"!

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 03/28/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
That’s My Job…. One of my favorite country music songs.

Always liked that song.

First time I heard it after my dad passed I had to pull my truck over for a few minutes.

MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My brother was a big country music fan. I worked with Harold Jenkins’cousin, Milton while in college. They hail from the Rosedale to Clarksdale area of Mississippi. His father had or managed a “supper club” on Moon Lake north of Clarksdale. My brother hung out there a good bit with his college roommate and you never knew who would come a visiting in the wee hours of the morning. Many times it was Conway, Jerry Lee Lewis aka the Killer, and numerous others. All were there for good food and drinks. The road goes on forever…This was during prohibition and as long as the sheriff got his cut; everything was A OK. Lotta impromptu performances and jams.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
A church got a brand new preacher who was a dead ringer for Conway Twitty. The preacher took it upon himself to go and introduce himself to his parishioners. His first visit was to an elderly lady. She came to the door and opened it and exclaimed "It's Conway Twitty"! The good reverend smiled and said no, told her he was the new preacher and introduced himself. After a few minutes of pleasant conversation, he left and drove to the next house on his list. This was another older lady and he got the same reaction, "It's Conway Twitty"! Again the new preacher explained who he was and why he was there. This happened two more times. At the fifth house he tried, things happened a little differently. At this house, he rang the doorbell and a gorgeous blonde opened the door wrapped only in a towel. She took one look at him and practically screamed, "Oh my God, it's Conway Twitty"! And her towel dropped to the floor. The preacher took one look and said "Hello darlin'"!

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Absolutely one of the best! He left us far too soon…..definitely left a hole in Country Music with his passing! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fabulous voice!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When i was a kid, my aunt gave me a Twitty Christmas tape… “Live from the north pole”

Coolest thing ever for a kid..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If Kitty Wells married Conway, she would be Kitty Twitty…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^HAHAHA^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I thought he was really good on the Carol Burnette show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by carrollco
My brother was a big country music fan. I worked with Harold Jenkins’cousin, Milton while in college. They hail from the Rosedale to Clarksdale area of Mississippi. His father had or managed a “supper club” on Moon Lake north of Clarksdale. My brother hung out there a good bit with his college roommate and you never knew who would come a visiting in the wee hours of the morning. Many times it was Conway, Jerry Lee Lewis aka the Killer, and numerous others. All were there for good food and drinks. The road goes on forever…This was during prohibition and as long as the sheriff got his cut; everything was A OK. Lotta impromptu performances and jams.

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1920’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/30/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1929’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪

I almost said the same thing, but prohibition in OK went into the late 50’s.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Wasn’t Prohibition in the 1929’s & 1930’s ??? 🤪

I almost said the same thing, but prohibition in OK went into the late 50’s.

Dang. Never heard of that. Maybe it had to do with all the Reservations in OK ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nope into the 70-80s counties were still dry in AL, MS, OK, and North Florida. like Santa Rosa county in FL was dry until the 90s.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rapier
Nope into the 70-80s counties were still dry in AL, MS, OK, and North Florida. like Santa Rosa county in FL was dry until the 90s.

Our county in MS was dry until maybe 5 years ago…

Baptist said everyone was going to hell 😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Conway Twitty sang with a passion it’s hard to describe. I bellow them out along with him when he comes on the radio.

The chemistry twixt him and Loretta was impossible to ignore. Even as a kid I figured they were banging.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Rapier

Our county in MS was dry until maybe 5 years ago…

Baptist said everyone was going to hell 😂😂

LOL. While I understand that there still were lots of “dry counties” back then, it’s not really Prohibition, which was Nation wide. 🤪

The county I grew up in voted itself “wet” in 1978, the year I graduated from HS. By a margin of like 50 votes. 🤪
There were three Private Christian College’s here. One Baptist, one Methodist, and one Church of Christ, which pretty much ran the Mayor’s office and City Council. 🤪

There was a little unincorporated “town” just a mile north and across the County Line that made a fuggin FORTUNE $$$ in the 1940’s 50’s, 60’s & 70’s because of the 4 Liquor Stores there owned by the Pinkie Brothers.
They owned Liquor Stores all over TX just like that just across the County Line.
Now, I think there are only 3 or 4 of them left in the whole State. 🤪

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1936M71, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,636
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.