Home
Posted By: FatCity67 Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Stuck again?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Ever been?
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Nah, don’t like the big city.

Hung around Terminous a fair bit as a youngster though…
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Drive right through,

it's the best plan.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Little Potato stripers👍
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Not a bad place to be stuck. Been here 30 years. Lots of conservative farmers and good folks. One of the better places in Calif.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Drive right through,

it's the best plan.

Was Lots better just about a year ago.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Not a bad place to be stuck. Been here 30 years. Lots of conservative farmers and good folks. One of the better places in Calif.

30 years? You get there on a Greyhound bus?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Good supply, of poison neutralizing, charcoal !
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Drive right through,

it's the best plan.

good place to seek fame and fortune?
No . Born in Amador county.
Drive right through,

it's the best plan.

good place to seek fame and fortune?

Only if your lookin for a pot of gold.

Tell us all what you like best about Lodi?
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24

There's a Lodi in central Jersey as well. Never been there, but the California version sounds like a mo' better place to be.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Sounds gay
unfortunately

things got bad and things got worse
Looks like my plans fell through !
Posted By: hardway Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Galt’s taint.
Originally Posted by hardway
Galt’s taint.

Galt is the taint.

Pizza Palace, if you know, you know.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Rode in on a Greyhound... I'l be walkin' out if i go...

Little Potato stripers👍

Indeed!

And even on the windiest of days, a protected slough could be found for waterskiing.

Honestly - cheap old vine zins…

Ok I’ll play along. Lodi is not to far from the mountains or the ocean. We get a nice delta breeze in the summer. Lots of cheap places to eat. It’s mostly pro-gun. Easy to find a job. I find that people are more loyal . But Lodi is going downhill like everywhere. I’ll be here maybe 5 more years, then back to the foothills! Build myself a shop, and work on anything I want till I die.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24

I second this.

Ok I’ll play along. Lodi is not to far from the mountains or the ocean. We get a nice delta breeze in the summer. Lots of cheap places to eat. It’s mostly pro-gun. Easy to find a job. I find that people are more loyal . But Lodi is going downhill like everywhere. I’ll be here maybe 5 more years, then back to the foothills! Build myself a shop, and work on anything I want till I die.

What's your favorite restaurant?

What's your favorite restaurant?
When I splurge , Panda Express. I’m a cheapskate.
Uh huh🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Home town.
Class of 1970
Posted By: K1500 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Actually did break down and temporarily get ‘stuck’ in Lodi once.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by RUM7

I second this.

🙋‍♂️
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24

It doesn’t sound like you live there.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

It doesn’t sound like you live there.
Brother Doors, you know my full name. You can do a people search you know. Your smarter than this, I guess ?
Alan Cranberry?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Alan Cranberry?
Close 😃
Alan Cranberry?
No, but that’s what they called me in high school. Last name Cranfill. If you watched my music video, my name is in the credits. The song/ video is Esmeralda by the Psychedelic Pilgrims. The song was recorded at Nacnud studios in Lodi and the video was shot out be Bear Creek Winery in Lodi. Also I’m looking for a girl singer with a voice like Adele, Lauren Diaz type for recording.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Broke down leaving lodi, Kingdon drag strip , towing a 1937 Chevy gasser
Originally Posted by kenster99
kenster, how's that injured kid doing, have you heard?
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Closest I've ever been.

37 Chevy is a neat car. Hope you still have it. A guy I know has one . If he’s still alive .
Posted By: Higginez Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Alan Cranberry?
No, but that’s what they called me in high school. Last name Cranfill. If you watched my music video, my name is in the credits. The song/ video is Esmeralda by the Psychedelic Pilgrims. The song was recorded at Nacnud studios in Lodi and the video was shot out be Bear Creek Winery in Lodi. Also I’m looking for a girl singer with a voice like Adele, Lauren Diaz type for recording.

I wanna see the video!
Originally Posted by Higginez
Alan Cranberry?

I wanna see the video!
Thanks Brother! I don’t know how to post links. Just google it. Rick Duncan recorded it and played bass. Helped produce the song too. I hope to hear a review from you!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/04/24
Played that song at a county fair once.

Brought the house down.

Also played it at every gig I ever played since I was 16....with mixed results.
Alan Cranberry?

I wanna see the video!
Thanks Brother! I don’t know how to post links. Just google it. Rick Duncan recorded it and played bass. Helped produce the song too. I hope to hear a review from you!
No wonder scammers are so persistent.
Alan Cranberry?

I wanna see the video!
Jeff, I still had you number and sent you the video. Hope you like it!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Played that song at a county fair once.

Brought the house down.

Also played it at every gig I ever played since I was 16....with mixed results.
Jim , did not know you are a musician.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
If you like Chinese food go to Chop Chops!
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by sactoller
If you like Chinese food go to Chop Chops!
I go there once in a while. They been around forever. Parking sucks. Their food got better recently. Thanks for reaching out!
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
He is out of the hospital, but still facing some more surgeries, got torn up pretty bad.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Kingdon raceway takes me back to my high school days. Was a country airport that held drag races in the late 60s early 70s is it still? Guess I could look it up.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Kingdon raceway takes me back to my high school days. Was a country airport that held drag races in the late 60s early 70s is it still? Guess I could look it up.
Don’t know if it’s still open. In high school we went to Sacramento raceway . I think that one is closed.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Don’t know if it’s still open. In high school we went to Sacramento raceway . I think that one is closed.

Yep ! Kingdon Airpark is a general aviation airport located 4 miles southwest of Lodi CA.
Sac Raceway closed . A few at kingdon a few years ago.
Posted By: EdM Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
I remember heading to On Lock Sam's in Stockton when I was a kid. A pretty good haul for us where my parents would meet up with old friends that lived in Isleton.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Got a really fine Lab Pup from a kennel just east of Lodi back in 2008. Not more than a few minutes off 99. What I saw of it was good looking country, an area called Acampo. A really good natured good hunter. Here's to you Tug.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Lived in both Galt and Lodi back in the early 80’s. Lodi was a nice town but life took me north.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Lived in both Galt and Lodi back in the early 80’s. Lodi was a nice town but life took me north.
In the early 80s , a band I was in played at the Lodi roller skating . That’s been converted over for many years. Played music once in that time at the Lodi grape festival for a street rod group. I remember we played against a concrete block wall. We played rock and punk . The crowd wanted country and a few guys threw full beer cans at us. I can remember them exploding when they hit the wall. Over 40 years ago.
Posted By: bartman Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Used to live there about Y2K. Areas of interest back then were the Sierras, El Dorado national forest, Placerville, Old Sac, pig hunting and duck hunting were both nearby. Dove hunting reasonable in the nearby orchards. San Francisco was much cleaner then.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
He is out of the hospital, but still facing some more surgeries, got torn up pretty bad.
Thanks for the info. I hope the family is getting along as well as they can. Pretty sad deal.
Posted By: hardway Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
In the early 80s , a band I was in played at the Lodi roller skating . That’s been converted over for many years. Played music once in that time at the Lodi grape festival for a street rod group. I remember we played against a concrete block wall. We played rock and punk . The crowd wanted country and a few guys threw full beer cans at us. I can remember them exploding when they hit the wall. Over 40 years ago.

Sorry bout that but gay guitar pickers don’t turn me on.
Posted By: bartman Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Had a tall, pretty, California girl with long brown hair back then. Central valley gets hot in the summer, we would go to S.F. to cool off and get dinner on occasion. Often wonder what happened to that beauty.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Yeah. You’re not who you say you are,brother. GFY
Originally Posted by bartman
Used to live there about Y2K. Areas of interest back then were the Sierras, El Dorado national forest, Placerville, Old Sac, pig hunting and duck hunting were both nearby. Dove hunting reasonable in the nearby orchards. San Francisco was much cleaner then.
If you don’t mind, where did you go for pig and was there public land??
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Alan Cranberry?

Are you related to Gary?
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Alan Cranberry?

Are you related to Gary?
Don’t know if I’m related to a Gary . Would need more info. There is a lot of relatives I’ve never met. Ancestor search is amazing. Did it over 10 years ago. Thanks for reaching out.
Alan Cranberry?

Are you related to Gary?
Don’t know if I’m related to a Gary . Would need more info. There is a lot of relatives I’ve never met. Ancestor search is amazing. Did it over 10 years ago. Thanks for reaching out.

Damnit….. need to Google relatives of this sock…. Thank you kind friend.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by JeffyD

There's a Lodi in central Jersey as well. Never been there, but the California version sounds like a mo' better place to be.
Since the dimocraps took control they ain't no place in California that's mo' better place to be.
Just saying....
Originally Posted by hardway
Alan Cranberry?

Are you related to Gary?

Damnit….. need to Google relatives of this sock…. Thank you kind friend.
FYI , my great grandfather Ben is buried in Lodi Cemetary.
Something that may interest some, Lodi Ca was the first A&W restaurant . Yes A&W root beer. The thing that pisses me off is they retained ownership of that store and do not honor the A&W deals the advertise on tv. Tuesdays is hamburger, fries and drink for $5. 40 years ago Victor bacon was from Lodi. Lodi at one time was the Zin wine grape capitol of the world.
That is boilerplate and stated on many chain food places " at participating dealerships" on the bulletin board on Lower Sac south of Woodbridge road. Not sure why Pete doesn't honor the sales, though, he used to hold Thursday night show and shines, but covid made him stop it and he never restarted it up. They just removed all the buildings at Victor meats, owners were the Goehring's.

Lodi used to be the Tokay capitol of the world until around the 80's or so, then switched to Zin.

Kingdon was open in the mid 50's, dad raced his 37 Chevy there. Closed a few times but for sure it was open in 76 when I raced there. Kingdon does a yearly 2 day event around September, usually during D5 deer season.

Google "time to wine" Mondo Mariscal, who changed his moniker to Good time Charlie and moved to Idaho. Nice Viper red 56 ford PU.

Pizza Garden was better than Pizza Palace.

Crusin on School street ended 1978-79.

Lodi Beer has good food, Three window beer , Angelo's, Pietro's, Janet's Richmaid

Head pruned Old vine Zin beats Trellis Zin's, but hardly anyone can tell the difference.

Afraid to go out in the Vineyard, dam hail probably knocked half the crop off yesterday. Interesting how many are from this area here....
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
i like roop beard plees call me on my mikcy mouse pfone an tawk bible story wift me
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
Weighed, measured and found wanting.

Appears my "Amador Lake" fishing trip was a a success.

Only a local would know certain tid bits about an area that you can't find on the googler readily and articulated in a Non-Wikipedia style of prose.

Especially living in an area for half a century supposedly your favorite restaurant wouldn't be Panda Express.

At least Pizza Palace didn't build over top of a swimmin pool and spring a leak. 🤣😂🤣

If you know and raced Kingdon you know Walter Orr.

You'd also know it was the birthplace of the commercial wine cooler, who's inventor is a multi-generational native, not just A&W.

D5? LOL another long suffering local deer hunter.

Miss me some Pure Sausage and Meat deer salami thank goodness for Lockford.

Was waiting for a Tokay grape reference, finally.

Don't even get me started on Brunos, yum.

This person is definitely from Lodi.

That is boilerplate and stated on many chain food places " at participating dealerships" on the bulletin board on Lower Sac south of Woodbridge road. Not sure why Pete doesn't honor the sales, though, he used to hold Thursday night show and shines, but covid made him stop it and he never restarted it up. They just removed all the buildings at Victor meats, owners were the Goehring's.

Lodi used to be the Tokay capitol of the world until around the 80's or so, then switched to Zin.

Kingdon was open in the mid 50's, dad raced his 37 Chevy there. Closed a few times but for sure it was open in 76 when I raced there. Kingdon does a yearly 2 day event around September, usually during D5 deer season.

Google "time to wine" Mondo Mariscal, who changed his moniker to Good time Charlie and moved to Idaho. Nice Viper red 56 ford PU.

Pizza Garden was better than Pizza Palace.

Crusin on School street ended 1978-79.

Lodi Beer has good food, Three window beer , Angelo's, Pietro's, Janet's Richmaid

Head pruned Old vine Zin beats Trellis Zin's, but hardly anyone can tell the difference.

Afraid to go out in the Vineyard, dam hail probably knocked half the crop off yesterday. Interesting how many are from this area here....
Fat city , funny you should mention Lake Amador. I lived during high school in Buena Vista. There was a hunting club there named Goose Hill gun club. It shut down around 1980. Amador lake was run by the Lockhart family. I went to high school in Ione with Laurie. Last I heard she still worked there. You mention a name Orr. The only Orr I knew was Ralph Orr who was a Ione cop back in the 1970s . Ralph had relatives in Lodi. After talking to HemiAllen, his relatives hunted with a relative of mine, (Gary).
Originally Posted by slumlord
i like roop beard plees call me on my mikcy mouse pfone an tawk bible story wift me
Mr. Slum, prayer sent!
Did you guys drag race on Paradise road ? LOL
Did you guys drag race on Paradise road ? LOL

Paradise Rd and Graffiti night is in Modesto, about 45 minutes south of Lodi. Paradise is where they raced in the movie, maybe back in the 50’s they did, but in my highschool years we raced on California rd which is one block over.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/05/24
I practically lived at Sac Raceway in the 70's. Dad raced at Sac, Kingdon, Bakersfield, Reading, and ran a car at Bonneville

The swimming pool was across Lodi Ave, or the other pool at Lodi Union High second story? Pizza Factory was at a good location next to the theater. Rented the owners cabin in So Tahoe one time, nice folks, on Oak street I believe.

Yes, good ole wine coolers, what a great marketing plan selling in the millions after about 5 years on the market. Forgot which winery snatched it up.

Pure sausage, another great ND German butcher shop, but yes Pete does good at Lockeford sausage, got 2 dakota brats headed to so-e oregon tomorrow with me, plus a dozen landjaegers.

Yea, D5 is a fall camping trip with hiking involved.

I believe California hot woods was also a family in Lodi sold several years ago.
Posted By: hardway Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Well chit, let’s not forget the Cycle Bowl 👍🏻 raced flat track/ TT quads there in the mid 90’s.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Good point.

My 2 grandson's would have had their first race of the season at the bowl tomorrow, but they called it due to the recent wet weather. The clay there is terrible when wet, and the pits being in a bowl almost had us stranded during last years final race day.

Fred Merkel and Chris Carr both raced at the cycle bowl early in their careers. Fred was from Stockton, a friend of a friends son was good friends of Fred's. Fred wiped out and ended his career on an asphalt track and I think he moved to New Zeeland starting a construction company.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
My old boss Walt Orr at Sac.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24

Looks like an Anglia.
Do you know how it was built ?
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Nice race car.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Stuck again?

Oh Lord.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by Dons99
I practically lived at Sac Raceway in the 70's. Dad raced at Sac, Kingdon, Bakersfield, Reading, and ran a car at Bonneville
Don, did you know Alan Pantle from Ione? He just passed. He had a Henry j he raced. He owned the Chevron station in Ione. He was a redhead. He taught school too. Alan was a great guy. I think the car was white .
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
I remember, next to the little frostie ice cream place. Alan, did you know any off the Bocavich's from Sutter Creek ? Mike sr and junior both had some fast hotrods. Bought my 42 Willy's from Mike jr.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sacramento raceway legend, and super nice guy , Bob Bunker . Folsom Flash.
Working on a friends alcohol funny car, Mighty Mouse.

Was that Anglia blue ?
I remember, next to the little frostie ice cream place. Alan, did you know any off the Bocavich's from Sutter Creek ? Mike sr and junior both had some fast hotrods. Bought my 42 Willy's from Mike jr.

Small world!! Mike jr was about 2 years younger than me. My dad and Mike sr were friends from way back. I think Mike Sr passed. They called him Skunk. Mike jr used to have a 56 ford big window. Yellow? My folks and Mike jr folks all grew up together in the Jackson / sutter creek area. Last I knew , 30 years ago, jr was living in sutter creek and married a Japanese gal. Thanks for reaching out! Brought back some memories. I remember the Folsom Flash back in the late 70’s. Sac raceway.
Yes, Mike Sr passed away some years ago, out cutting wood with jr. He was a great guy.
It is a small world, i lived in Fairplay and Outingdale most of my life, friends with Mike and his dad, and others in Jackson-Sutter Creek area. You probably know the Thompsons, Patty, Dennis, Rick, ?
Loved Sac Raceway, was there alot. when I was 19, I raced a 66 GTO down there., fun times !
I was born in Jackson, we moved around a lot. Dad was a home builder. My mom lived in Fiddletown before she and my dad married . My uncles are Scott and Dan Murray. My moms younger sister was married to Bill Fine, (Fine Wrecking yard in Martell. I remember the Glavitch bros from Fiddletown. Did you know Roy Faddis? They called him Rapid Roy!!! I cannot recall the Thompson’s. I’m 64 y.o.
I forgot, the only guy I knew in FairPlay was a guy named Rick Tillit who played guitar. He died a while back.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24

Was that Anglia blue ?

Yup he also ran a Vega called Fossil 2.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
I've got a vintage benchrest rifle built by Al Weber out of Lodi, CA. Smoothest action I've felt.
Originally Posted by slm9s
I've got a vintage benchrest rifle built by Al Weber out of Lodi, CA. Smoothest action I've felt.
I think Al Weber has been dead for over 30 years. I have a friend that knew him. Wasn’t he from Woodbridge? They said he was a good smith.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Lived in French Camp for a while, just a little ways down the road. Been to Lodi manty times.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Bob Bunker "The Folsom Flash" and his Bad Ass 55 Chevy... read about him in the magazines when i was a kid (70's-80's)...
Posted By: slm9s Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
I think Al Weber has been dead for over 30 years. I have a friend that knew him. Wasn’t he from Woodbridge? They said he was a good smith.

I bought the rifle TEN years ago (man time flies!) and started a thread back then. Someone else thought the same thing. I have no idea, but the action is stamped "Lodi, CA" on the side, that's all I know... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...319046/all/Anyone_remember_Weber_actions

It had been rechambered to 219 Donaldson Wasp. I had a barrel spun up in a 7 twist 22br for the 85 rdf's by Skeetlee and it shoots amazing.

I bought the rifle TEN years ago (man time flies!) and started a thread back then. Someone else thought the same thing. I have no idea, but the action is stamped "Lodi, CA" on the side, that's all I know... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...319046/all/Anyone_remember_Weber_actions

It had been rechambered to 219 Donaldson Wasp. I had a barrel spun up in a 7 twist 22br for the 85 rdf's by Skeetlee and it shoots amazing.
In case you don’t know, Lodi and Woodbridge join . His shop I was told by a friend that knew him was in Woodbridge. He may have lived in Lodi. Is the action a Mauser type??
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Had a Ruger 77 with a custom .358 win barrel 18.5”. It was a pretty heavy barrel. I believe Nick did the barrel?
One of my Favorite smiths is close to Lodi. Ken is a stand up guy. You should know his reputation if your in the area.
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Had a Ruger 77 with a custom .358 win barrel 18.5”. It was a pretty heavy barrel. I believe Nick did the barrel?
One of my Favorite smiths is close to Lodi. Ken is a stand up guy. You should know his reputation if your in the area.
Your referring to Nick Flores. He’s been closed up for 10 years. Ken is very good but can take a while. Matt is good, I think he is still in Stockton on Fremont street.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/06/24
Ken can take some time but has the ability to make a action whether a bolt or side by side from a block of steel. He saved my ass on a gold plate job that went bad set back a barrel and refit mag tube and bands on a Win 30/30. Charged me $35.
How many years ago?? I think he is very qualified. Good smiths that can make parts are hard to find. I don’t know if Nick is still alive. I guess you know he was shot in the head ten years ago when they robbed his store.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/07/24
I sort of remember that. A friend had him do a lot of barrel jobs.
Ken did that for me in the 90’s. He normally would have had charged a lot more but I think he felt sorry for me.
That gun had to go to Ken to have the barrel removed, then to the plating shop to be copper and nicked. Then to Benno Huenne ( master engraver) to deepen the filled in engraving. I then did the gold plating and back to Ken for the barrel work. I didn’t know about cast iron receivers until that fiasco.
I have done a lot of gold plating for a gun shop in Ripon, I dont miss it much, although I could set back up to do it more at some point.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/07/24
Did you know any good engravers in Lodi area? Ripon gun shop, Barnwood arms ? You have some talent.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/07/24
I didn’t know any engravers in Lodi. Yep Barnwood, Some
Good guys there.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Lodi, Ca. - 04/07/24
When I moved to Lodi in 94, I learned of a hole in the wall food place called Mombo’s. They had odd hours and the owner played in a band. They food was well known. Some of the burritos I’ve had. They been closed for over 15 years or so.
© 24hourcampfire